Oct 25, 2017
All im sayin is we need more of this in part 2

1af67a4d02e25c93d4762a55a8a6189c3cf3f6d4.gifv

e9c982d2669b183e1cbe1bef9723db900a57dc13.gifv

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So, while I do understand and appreciate the presence of Sephiroth throughout the game, I think they could have done something, small adjustments to preserve the "reveal" at the end of the game, something like:
-Don't show his face until President Shinra's assassination or the meeting on the highway, or even until the bossfight;
-Don't play OWA as final boss theme, rather some "epic" rendition of Those Chosen By The Planet with hints about OWA

Idk, just small things that would have carried the same meaning while keeping some suspance (which is something I could say for a lot of things in this game).

All im sayin is we need more of this in part 2

1af67a4d02e25c93d4762a55a8a6189c3cf3f6d4.gifv

e9c982d2669b183e1cbe1bef9723db900a57dc13.gifv

Add Yuffie and Part 2 is going to be the wholesomest girl-gang ever.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
This ending was fucking genius. Holy shit. I beat it hours ago and I'm still thinking of the ramifications. Holy fuck I need part 2 immediately.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
So I wonder if they are setting up a different narrative conclusion for Sephiroth. He's a complex character that gets reduced to wanting to save the planet by wiping out humanity. What if by the end of the series Sephiroth entrusts Cloud to save the planet? Like yeah they fight and yeah Sephiroth is still horrible, but I think it would be interesting if Sephiroth has a "one of us will save the planet" mentality at the end because he has seen timelines where Cloud won and he's ok with the results if he cannot win. It would be pretty interesting.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the game last night. I really don't know how to feel about the ending.

On one hand, it's really dramatic and well executed. It manages to tell exactly the amount of information needed without spoiling too much, and as a result, it makes me so frigging hyped for the next part, beyond what I imagined. It's good to shake things up, BUT..

I really didn't like the Whispers of Fate purpose. I think I'm misunderstanding it, but by defeating them, did we open the possibility for time travel and alternate realities crap? This is really disappointing. I get that they're trying to shake things up, but they could've done it with adding more context to events in the OG, not by changing the context.

Also, with Zack, I understand it's just a flashback but that Stamp doggo thing looks more prominent than it needs to be. Does that mean Zack survives/d?

Overall, what a game. 9/10 would hit gangbanger with a chair again.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like the Whispers of Fate purpose. I think I'm misunderstanding it, but by defeating them, did we open the possibility for time travel and alternate realities crap?

Not time-travel, but the prospect of not following the pre-ordained 'conclusion'. It's a way to reference the fact that things will almost inevitably be the same as the original game, with a few caveats.

Also, with Zack, I understand it's just a flashback but that Stamp doggo thing looks more prominent than it needs to be. Does that mean Zack survives/d?

It was just a device to show the ramifications of the party taking control of their 'destiny', free of the intervention of the whispers, and in an alternate reality, Zack survives because of it. The stamp shown is a different one.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So should I play the original if I never have before?

I was pretty set on just experiencing the story naturally through the remake but shit when off the rails really ducking quick and now I think I need to play the original to understand this one 😂😂😂

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

I was pretty set on just experiencing the story naturally through the remake but shit when off the rails really ducking quick and now I think I need to play the original to understand this one 😂😂😂

You should and if you don't want to or can't, watch at least a playthrough (non-commentary). The remake is both a sequel and remake to the original.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017

I think that it would certainly illuminate a few aspects, and add more context, but I think it's perfect fine to experience it 'cold' as you are.

The only downside of this, is perhaps being left a bit confused by the ending, and perhaps the true role of Sephiroth, etc. All of which will be explained later on in this story too.

It depends on how far down the lore path you want to walk, because a lot of the theories and conversations revolve around extended media, specifically the 'compilation of FF7'.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like in this remake part 1 alone, Tifa has shown more chemistry and friendship with Aerith than all of FFVII.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Totally. This is not a simple remake and things got changed and some will still change.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Wouldn't it be wild if we got some meaty story DLC between parts 1 and 2 that basically adds a 2nd (maybe condensed) version of Part 1 events with Zack as the merc? Explicit romance between Zack and Aerith, scenes with Tifa trying to care for addled Cloud (Replace Marco with Cloud and stick him next to Zack's room), whole new round of Jessie thirst, and an entire new set of deaths/outcomes that set up the framework for the alternate universe.

If you're gonna milk us, SE, at least milk us real good.

Shutupandtakemygil.png

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
By the time part 2 comes out what thread number will we be on 🤔

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Wouldn't it be wild if we got some meaty story DLC between parts 1 and 2 that basically adds a 2nd (maybe condensed) version of Part 1 events with Zack as the merc? Explicit romance between Zack and Aerith, scenes with Tifa trying to care for addled Cloud (Replace Marco with Cloud and stick him next to Zack's room), whole new round of Jessie thirst, and an entire new set of deaths/outcomes that set up the framework for the alternate universe.

If you're gonna milk us, SE, at least milk us real good.

Shutupandtakemygil.png

I hate myself for saying that I'd buy this fanservice DLC/game.

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
Era, the Internet is crazy over Jessie and I thought she was annoying, clingy, overbearing, a little fake and had far too much screen time. I was glad to see her 'bow out' and do not want her to return in any shape or form. Am I a monster?

FunnyBunny19

alt account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Beat this a week or so ago and here I find myself playing through the OG for the first time ever on Switch. Can't wait to finally immerse myself in the original lore, I've had the strangest relationship with FF7 as I've experienced it in this order: Advent Children, Crisis Core, Remake and finally now the OG.

Era, the Internet is crazy over Jessie and I thought she was annoying, clingy, overbearing, a little fake and had far too much screen time. I was glad to see her 'bow out' and do not want her to return in any shape or form. Am I a monster?
Yes, yes you are. Jessie is great!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know something fucked up I just realized? Even counting how messed up Cloud's memories are, because of how long he was in a coma wouldn't he still be 16 mentally around the start of FF7?

That.......honestly explains more then it should.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You know something fucked up I just realized? Even counting how messed up Cloud's memories are, because of how long he was in a coma wouldn't he still be 16 mentally around the start of FF7?

Yep, though if you pay attention to Crisis Core, his personality has in some ways regressed substantially from even his 16-year-old self.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So, I´ve been playing the OG FF7 for the first time proper after finishing the Remake.
Initially, i really did not like the whole Meta-Narrative Thing they are seemingly going for in FF7R. After playing the OG though, i realizied how much of the Story and Drama revolves around Clound being manipulated by Sephiroth and that he is not who he thought he was. Which surely extended to the player at the time of release. A lot of the Impact was lost on me because I knew Clouds Story beforehand though cultural Osmosis.

So, reflecting on Remakes Ending a bit more, maybe they are not going full-on KH weird after all but use the unpredictable Set-Up to renews this feeling of being uncertain about oneself. Just as Cloud had his sense of self shattered by Sephiroth, we as player now feel the same by being unsure of what the game (and therefore, our role in it) actually "is". We were going into the game believing it to be a (rather) safe Remake, just as Cloud goes into the Game believing his a 1st Class Soldier.

I think this feeling of "identity crisis" that was so important to the OG could not have be replicated by a 1:1 Remake nowadays, especially if the Players are meant to share this Feeling with Cloud and the Crew.
Of course, they still could take all that time-travel and Destiny Stuff literal and go full Kingdom Hearts, its Nomura after all, but i hope they use it to extend the Themes and Emotions of the OG instead.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
i did say even before this game that aeris is best girl. y'all're finally coming around

Nah, Tifa is best girl.

Talk to me when Aerith can suplex Godzilla-sized monsters or beat Sephiroth with her fists despite being a normal human being.

I mean Nojima just said that in an interview. He's got the mentality of 16 year old although his brain is aged 21. He just tries to act grown up by copying others.