• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Midgar is simply not meaty enough to be the whole $60 game no matter how they pad it
The death makes more sense as a cutoff point

giphy.gif

I mean, she's in a strange position. She's not important enough to have a bombastic reveal
She's the female lead

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Looks great but sadly gameplay doesn't look as good as the cutscenes. I hope with next-gen they gonna make the gameplay look as good as cutscenes with ray-tracing.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Longer TTK due to low sustained DPS versus high burst damage? He also might have a minimum engagement rage so that you can't just pick things off from afar. Maybe that'll change based on weapon?
Maybe a cooldown too.
There's still the question on how Yuffie(ranged) and Cait Sith(melee or maybe microphones?) will work.
Welp, time will tell.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
People assume its 3 episodes but I can see them going for 4.

1- Midgar
2 - Calm to Northern Crater
3 - Tifa as the main character looking for Cloud + lots of flashbacks to Nibelheim
4 - Everything after Cloud rejoining to the end of the game.

Only issue is the end of disc 1 becomes the 80% mark in part 2 now which maybe is iffy since the end of disc 1 is a perfect climax / break point in the story.

The episode idea is so fucking stupid, I thought we learned with the HL2 episodes that no one likes that kind of release strategy

Just delay it until you can finish the entire game

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe a cooldown too.
There's still the question on how Yuffie(ranged) and Cait Sith(melee or maybe microphones?) will work.
Welp, time will tell.

Yeah, it is definitely going to be interesting to see how they redesign everyone's actions and bring them over into the realm of action RPGs.

The episode idea is so fucking stupid, I thought we learned with the HL2 episodes that no one likes that kind of release strategy

I really hope they aren't banking on doing an episode on just Midgar, if that is still their strategy, unless they've significantly expanded the amount of things you can do in Midgar (Sidequests, more NPC Dialogue, new scenes, etc.)

I feel like a show of good faith would be releasing some of this Midgar stuff as a demo. I'm not betting on it though; most of the UI still seemed like it was cosmetic and not functional.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Midgar is simply not meaty enough to be the whole $60 game no matter how they pad it

I try to think of how it could work fairly often and they would have to shove an extreme amount of padding into the Midgar portion of the story to actually make that a full 30 hour stand-alone game. It just doesn't work unless they're changing way more - there's hardly anything to Midgar despite a lot of people's hazy memories of it lasting forever.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017

I agree, and books too. Should have just released all the Harry Potter books at once when they were all finished.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hoping they only want to show the Midgar section and they are much further in development than we think, but don't want to spoil anything from later in the game.

On one hand its FF7 so you don't actually need to show much to create hype not to mention should the first game go past the end of Midgar not showing anything and making you wonder how far the game will go is the only way to recreate that feeling when you first left Midgar in the original.

On the other hand its SE with quite a few games that had development troubles, FF7R included, so it is hard to imagine there being a lot of the game they simply won't show at all as opposed to the game simply being just Midgar with an expanded and explorable Midgar.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call me a weirdo but this has got me itching to rewatch Advent Children Complete. Might do that tomorrow.

And just a PSA, the On the Way to a Smile novella officially came out in English a few months ago, along with some Turks side-story novella. Both are worth a read imo.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I take it Tifa's design is a radical departure and they don't want it to be the focus of this State of Play tease. Only reason why they would remove her completely from the trailer even in scenes she should have been in. Look at every battle scene - she's in the party but we can't see her. You can even see Aerith fighting in the background in one of the scenes!

LOL @ all the "IT IS KNOWN" posts in response to the action combat.

Knowing about it doesn't make it suck less.
Luckily most people will disagree with you. Action is exciting and Nomura is one of the best action RPG directors out there.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Yeah, it is definitely going to be interesting to see how they redesign everyone's actions and bring them over into the realm of action RPGs.

I really hope they aren't banking on doing an episode on just Midgar, if that is still their strategy, unless they've significantly expanded the amount of things you can do in Midgar (Sidequests, more NPC Dialogue, new scenes, etc.)

I feel like a show of good faith would be releasing some of this Midgar stuff as a demo. I'm not betting on it though; most of the UI still seemed like it was cosmetic and not functional.

That's the thing, though. No one wants it to be padded out. The pacing of the original game was perfect.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I take it Tifa's design is a radical departure and they don't want it to be the focus of this State of Play tease. Only reason why they would remove her completely from the trailer even in scenes she should have been in. Look at every battle scene - she's in the party but we can't see her. You can even see Aerith fighting in the background in one of the scenes!
I'm also thinking it is because of her design.

Yes she is popular but there really isn't any reason to save her specifically for an E3 reveal when they could easily just tease her in this one since her HP bar already appears. I'm thinking the design will be controversial and they didn't want the focus to be on her appearance and that is either because it is different or the exact same.

Yeah yeah mate, we all love her. I just feel like she should've been in the trailers since Cloud, Aerith and even Sephiroth were.
Well that would mainly be because those three are the main characters of VII so no matter what I can see why they want them prioritized in the trailer. Sephiroth shouldn't even show up yet but it is obvious why they are putting him in early.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
People assume its 3 episodes but I can see them going for 4.

1- Midgar
2 - Calm to Northern Crater
3 - Tifa as the main character looking for Cloud + lots of flashbacks to Nibelheim
4 - Everything after Cloud rejoining to the end of the game.

Only issue is the end of disc 1 becomes the 80% mark in part 2 now which maybe is iffy since the end of disc 1 is a perfect climax / break point in the story.
People really oversell how long Midgar is, whilst Kaln to the North Crater is, like, 75% of the game!

Best act breaks are the Cargo Ship (Junon wraps up most of the initial exposition with Rufus's inaugeration, and ends with the first Jenova battle), the Temple of the Ancients (we learn what Sephiroth is really up to, shifting the plot from a chase to a more defined quest to save the world), and the end of the North Crater (the party fails to stop Sephiroth, Meteor and the Weapons appear).

Aerith's death is more of a mid-act twist/complication. It doesn't alter the main goal (stop Sephiroth), it just gives the characters another reason to pursue it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Didn't happen with XV. What makes you think it will with this?
Your not getting a FFXV like open world with these visuals on PS4. plus it doesn't sound fesaible devopment wise, all of FF7's content plus expanded midgar, on top of a FFXV like world map, seems rather unrealistic unless you are Rockstar. look how long KH3 took to make & a lot of that is PS2 sized levels, with some exceptions like pirates.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn. This trailer looks amazing, but I think I liked the direction of the 2015 trailer more, and now I can't help but wonder what that would've been.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Luckily most people will disagree with you. Action is exciting and Nomura is one of the best action RPG directors out there.

She is incredibly popular and this was a teaser trailer anyway. Pretty sure we will get a expanded trailer at E3 with Tifa scenes and showing much more of the combat etc.

I don't think she will be redesigned.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm also thinking it is because of her design.

Yes she is popular but there really isn't any reason to save her specifically for an E3 reveal when they could easily just tease her in this one since her HP bar already appears. I'm thinking the design will be controversial and they didn't want the focus to be on her appearance and that is either because it is different or the exact same.
Yup, and it's not even just about "saving" her for an E3 reveal. They deliberately removed her from any scene she could be in, and the trailer was cut to not show her at all, indicating deliberate intent. We don't really see a close-up of Barret either, and he wasn't "introduced" like Aerith was, but he's there and it feels perfectly normal.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
That's the thing, though. No one wants it to be padded out. The pacing of the original game was perfect.

Definitely understandable! I just don't see it working out for them unless they do that, provided SE wants to charge $60 an episode. I honestly wouldn't mind some expansion here and there, but I get that I'm probably in the minority.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yeah yeah mate, we all love her. I just feel like she should've been in the trailers since Cloud, Aerith and even Sephiroth were.
I'm sure they don't want to blow all the reveals in a teaser and we've already seen Cloud and Barret in the remake (although with their old designs) so they threw in Aerith for something new and hype. Tifa will almost certainly be the next hook for whatever they show in June.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I hope that they reveal in June that they're no longer doing the horrendous multi-episode release, but I think that's wishful thinking on my part.

Why are you guys complaining about the battle system? It was revealed that it was gonna be an action RPG 4 years ago.

It's either you were hoping it will change to turn based (lol so remaking the remake) or you're not even interested at all when the game was revealed years ago.

Eh, I've been critical of the change to an action battle system since that reveal, as I don't think Square has developed any action RPGs that are as good as their turn-based RPGs yet, and part of why I would want a Final Fantasy VII remake is to see a return to the old Square gameplay that I love. But, yeah, I can't say I've been especially interested in this game, since the information Square has released for it has made me incredibly pessimistic about its eventual quality (and that's without taking into account how bad I think it is to remake this game without any input from Sakaguchi).

Anyway, the passage of four years has not warmed me up to the remake's gameplay changes. I thought it was a bad idea then, and I think it's a bad idea now.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

Luckily? We all have different tastes. Square doesn't really care what people disappointed with XV think and it won't affect the outcome anyway. Who needs luck?

Action is exciting, but this just looks like empty flash; more one-dimensional gameplay. Maybe I could just be old and bitter. Then again, Square has been dead to me for awhile. They have such a spotty record since XII... I can't see my way around how uninteresting many of their games have been.

Last edited:

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Definitely understandable! I just don't see it working out for them unless they do that, provided SE wants to charge $60 an episode. I honestly wouldn't mind some expansion here and there, but I get that I'm probably in the minority.

So their rationale is that the expense of re-creating each new location in the new engine is so extreme that they have to find a way to justify $60 per act (assuming this will be a 3 episode series)?

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Call me a weirdo but this has got me itching to rewatch Advent Children Complete. Might do that tomorrow.

And just a PSA, the On the Way to a Smile novella officially came out in English a few months ago, along with some Turks side-story novella. Both are worth a read imo.
Weirdo? Why?

ACC is great.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
So their rationale is that the expense of re-creating each new location in the new engine is so extreme that they have to find a way to justify $60 per act (assuming this will be a 3 episode series)?
Nomura has actually spoken about the concept behind the FFVII remake before. It's not "just" a remake because no one talented at Square Enix wants to do "just" a remake. The people in the position to make it the best they can be want it to be a new thing, rather than slavishly doing the same game with new graphics.

New graphics
New designs
New story
New gameplay
New ideas

"If you cannot destroy Final Fantasy, you cannot make Final Fantasy." - Tetsuya "The Lord" Nomura