Final Fantasy VII Remake State of Play 2019 Trailer; More to come in June

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed... but hopefully with the engine and assets already done, the dev cycle on parts 2, 3, etc will be quicker. It's almost like the sequel episodes are big DLC packs based on the engine of the first one.

Maybe they'll expand the mechanics of the sequels though... For example if the first truly is just Midgar, then in the sequels they might have to innovate some kind of world map mechanics, airship mechanics, etc. In which case we might be in for years of waiting for each instalment.
That or they dropped the episodic nature. No way just Midgar took 5 years to make unless they expanded it to a 40 hour RPG alone.

Eylos

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, new working theory for me: this is after the opening bombing mission. A new mental break/flashback moment just before Cloud jumps out of that fiery doorway? Just before this in this trailer you see a bomb going off, it’s the one Jessie was setting in the tunnel after the reactor blows.
you can see in the floor cloud is in the middle of a street, so it seems its outside the reactor
my theory is
its just after the sector 7 pillar explosion theres a bunch of rumble that is similar to that and thats why he's looking up

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how they handle character progression for the sequels. Transfer save data? I wonder if they will just completely remove levels so people won’t be able to grind to L99 before Pt 2 comes out. Or I guess they could just cap level to 30 or something for this first part and each one increases the level cap.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They have a lot of work to do with the messaging to sell people on this idea, that to get the entire remake you'll end up having to spend $180. I think they're overplaying their hand, they knew a regular FF7 remake would sell an insane amount so now they're extending that thirst out as long as they can.
Lord of the Rings is a single book. Does WB really think people will pay three times to see just one part of a trilogy when they could adapt it into a single movie?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
This game is releasing early next year. The Square Enix financial report is the best hint for that.
On one hand it’s surprising to think they would miss this years’ holiday season, as the last big push xmas for PS4, and the current massive install base.

But then they’d be up against the entire industry and its annual franchises.

So early 2020 does make sense.

BocoDragon

Oct 26, 2017
That or they dropped the episodic nature. No way just Midgar took 5 years to make unless they expanded it to a 40 hour RPG alone.
I could imagine them doing a nice big full explorable Midgar that did take 5 years to make, sooner than I think they also have up their sleeve after 5 years a substitute for a world map, Nibelheim and its story scenario, Junon and its story scenario, Gold Saucer/Coral and its story scenario, Cosmo Canyon, Rocket Town, Northern Crater.... etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they did put out one big mega game with the full scenario. I just don't really believe that's what they've built in that time.

Quinton

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Research Triangle
Alright, new working theory for me: this is after the opening bombing mission. A new mental break/flashback moment just before Cloud jumps out of that fiery doorway? Just before this in this trailer you see a bomb going off, it’s the one Jessie was setting in the tunnel after the reactor blows.
I'm guessing the same. New mental breakdown. They'll probably pepper several new ones in since this game is only gonna go so far with the narrative.

HououinKyouma

Oct 27, 2017
I need to hear the prelude at E3. It's time.

Also, on a very important note, I wonder if we'll still fight the House in Sector 6.

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The japanese already complaining about Aerith's face
https://twitter.com/team_todo/status/1126676931263340544

Basically saying, it looks better on the right

She looks a little older and a little more, dare I say, Caucasian on the left.. The right looks more like Japanese standards of cuteness: younger, smaller chin, smaller nose.

If they’re going for “kawaii” maybe they should listen to that.... But I think they might be onto something with her slightly western features. She is oddly foreign in the world of FF7 due to her Cetra heritage.

muteKi

Oct 22, 2018
a sunken pirate ship
Man these hyper-realistic character renders look super weird to me. I get that it's been the SE house style for basically as long as it's been technically feasible but I actually did want a more cartoony look...

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'd missed the extra details on Aerith's jacket - I love the metal studs on her shoulders. I also like the pockets in her jacket with zippers - it's the one time I won't complain about Final Fantasy + zippers, lol. I love her updated necklace, too, and the addition of the flower.

I presume it's Roberto Ferrari's work? Whilst I don't love how sexualized some of his designs are, he's always excellent at designing stylish clothes. For example with FFXV, Cindy's outfit all together is a bit too much, but as stand alone items of clothing, her hat, jacket, and boots are absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see his updates on the rest of FFVII cast, which is goddamn painful, because we probably won't be seeing some of the designs for years!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so.

I also hope they have a solid release plan for the subsequent episodes and its not like a 3 year gap between each one.
They release massive expansions to FFXIV every two years, while also adding a steady stream of fairly significant amount of new content between those expansions. I don't see why they couldn't uphold a similar pace for this remake.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Man these hyper-realistic character renders look super weird to me. I get that it's been the SE house style for basically as long as it's been technically feasible but I actually did want a more cartoony look...
Whenever I think of FFVII's aesthetic it's usually all about the pseudorealistic CGI, since that was what the backgrounds always tried for. I feel it's best to just match the characters to that now that they can. A cartoony look might be interesting, but it would make the environments look wildly different.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I'd missed the extra details on Aerith's jacket - I love the metal studs on her shoulders. I also like the pockets in her jacket with zippers - it's the one time I won't complain about Final Fantasy + zippers, lol. I love her updated necklace, too, and the addition of the flower.

I presume it's Roberto Ferrari's work? Whilst I don't love how sexualized some of his designs are, he's always excellent at designing stylish clothes. For example with FFXV, Cindy's outfit all together is a bit too much, but as stand alone items of clothing, her hat, jacket, and boots are absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see his updates on the rest of FFVII cast, which is goddamn painful, because we probably won't be seeing some of the designs for years!
I think Nomura himself is designing all the main characters? Unless Ferrari is designing the clothes for the main characters...

Nov 13, 2017
Lol at that Japanese tweet. They just made her Asian 🤷🏽‍♂️

Does her dress look a lot more pale too? Closer to white than the pastel pink from the original game.