• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Except it's not, it's the blue bars underneath the health bar.

The problem is... the bar never depletes or fully recharge.

The original reveal was very instructive by seeing the UI. Each action = Less Action Bar.

On this one, it is like a special attack bar (punish strike for the UI). It is a very different approach to modernizing the original.

I liked the old one.

Oh shit they got Charlie Sheen from Hot Shots Part Deux in that bitch!

MV5BY2VkZGJiYWEtZDEyMy00MjJmLTljMGEtNjIwOGRkZGUzYTZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMxMDgyNzU@._V1_.jpg

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I bet this will be a cross-gen release and show up at Sony's PS5 reveal event early next year, and release along with the launch of PS5.

Or, it will release 1st quarter next year for PS4 and get an update for PS5 launch.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
The problem is... the bar never depletes or fully recharge.

The original reveal was very instructive by seeing the UI. Each action = Less Action Bar.

On this one, it is like a special attack bar (punish strike for the UI). It is a very different approach to modernizing the original.

I liked the old one.
The blue bars are also seen on the "commands menu" section.

The way I saw it, you can do normal attacks at any time, but the ATB is the blue bars, when a section is full you can use it on a "command" such as magic/items/commands.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been Aerith OFFICIALLY in the West since the FFVII Compilation. The people that deny this fact are just stubborn.

I played the original FFVII, was aware of Aeris, BUT, I also followed it's pre-release information through magazines and such. I was introduced to "Aerith" before "Aeris" in those articles (hell, I remember the mistranslated "Ealis", "Bullet" and "Claud").
It's been Aerith since KH1 too.

I've never seen "Aeris" as anything more than a quick decision made for the 1997 western release that didn't stick at all in anything after that.

And yeah you're right, even in pre-release material before Sept 1997 there was "Aerith" written in English characters all over it. You could argue that was for the Japanese audience, but whatever.

Oeufcoque

Oct 27, 2017
So if it's episodic, does that mean it took them 4-5 years just make episode 1? If so, it's going to suck waiting years for the last episode.

SushiMassage

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
I'm a bit surprised by this thread, or why not mention the threads about Shenmue 3 at the same time.

Its a miracle that these games even get made, and the only thing people do is to complain. Is this where gaming is today?

Also, it looks absolutely amazing...

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Oh okay this is a real thing now.
Yeah cautiously looking forward to this.

Yeah no who am I kidding lol, watch me fold like origami the exact second they show Tifa. I don't even care about Aerith and damn this shit is already making me catch all sorts of feels goddammit.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So if it's episodic, does that mean it took them 4-5 years just make episode 1? If so, it's going to suck waiting years for the last episode.
Indeed... but hopefully with the engine and assets already done, the dev cycle on parts 2, 3, etc will be quicker. It's almost like the sequel episodes are big DLC packs based on the engine of the first one.

Maybe they'll expand the mechanics of the sequels though... For example if the first truly is just Midgar, then in the sequels they might have to innovate some kind of world map mechanics, airship mechanics, etc. In which case we might be in for years of waiting for each instalment.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Of course it is going to be in parts. Not episodic like telltale games. Like come on, folks. You don't want a FFXIII or XV experience right?

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I really will wait for June to show more combat but this looks far from what I wished. Anyway good to see it is not dead.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please don't be episodic. So far no new news about this being still episodic right?
No. But the fact that we've only seen footage from the first 10th of the first disc makes me very skeptical they are planning to have the whole scenario ready to go in one game.

I feel like we'll know for sure how the episodic nature will work (or if it's even still happening) next month. My guess.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed... but hopefully with the engine and assets already done, the dev cycle on parts 2, 3, etc will be quicker. It's almost like the sequel episodes are big DLC packs based on the engine of the first one.

Maybe they'll expand the mechanics of the sequels though... For example if the first truly is just Midgar, then in the sequels they might have to innovate some kind of world map mechanics, airship mechanics, etc. In which case we might be in for years of waiting for each instalment.

That or they dropped the episodic nature. No way just Midgar took 5 years to make unless they expanded it to a 40 hour RPG alone.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, new working theory for me: this is after the opening bombing mission. A new mental break/flashback moment just before Cloud jumps out of that fiery doorway? Just before this in this trailer you see a bomb going off, it's the one Jessie was setting in the tunnel after the reactor blows.
you can see in the floor cloud is in the middle of a street, so it seems its outside the reactor
my theory is
its just after the sector 7 pillar explosion theres a bunch of rumble that is similar to that and thats why he's looking up

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how they handle character progression for the sequels. Transfer save data? I wonder if they will just completely remove levels so people won't be able to grind to L99 before Pt 2 comes out. Or I guess they could just cap level to 30 or something for this first part and each one increases the level cap.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They have a lot of work to do with the messaging to sell people on this idea, that to get the entire remake you'll end up having to spend $180. I think they're overplaying their hand, they knew a regular FF7 remake would sell an insane amount so now they're extending that thirst out as long as they can.
Lord of the Rings is a single book. Does WB really think people will pay three times to see just one part of a trilogy when they could adapt it into a single movie?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
This game is releasing early next year. The Square Enix financial report is the best hint for that.

On one hand it's surprising to think they would miss this years' holiday season, as the last big push xmas for PS4, and the current massive install base.

But then they'd be up against the entire industry and its annual franchises.

So early 2020 does make sense.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That or they dropped the episodic nature. No way just Midgar took 5 years to make unless they expanded it to a 40 hour RPG alone.
I could imagine them doing a nice big full explorable Midgar that did take 5 years to make, sooner than I think they also have up their sleeve after 5 years a substitute for a world map, Nibelheim and its story scenario, Junon and its story scenario, Gold Saucer/Coral and its story scenario, Cosmo Canyon, Rocket Town, Northern Crater.... etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they did put out one big mega game with the full scenario. I just don't really believe that's what they've built in that time.