• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm looking forward to in FF7-R is seeing what they do with the Gold Saucer. Chocobo Racing and Battle Arena are a given, but will the shooter coaster be there? Will the Wonder Square have decent minigames (because let's face it G-Bike is the only good one)
i remember reading that the developers like the snowboard more in an interview, but i remember sometimes i would turn on my ps1 to play g-bike

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm looking forward to in FF7-R is seeing what they do with the Gold Saucer. Chocobo Racing and Battle Arena are a given, but will the shooter coaster be there? Will the Wonder Square have decent minigames (because let's face it G-Bike is the only good one)

Every new episode of FFVIIR will have a new episode of Mog House in the Gold Saucer

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
* Game about saving the planet.

* No world map, so you never see the planet.

Genius.

FF7's world map gives you a feel for the world as a whole that's greater than what you'd get from a simple static map screen, while also letting you traverse between locations efficiently. The field maps and battle backgrounds give you a sense of what the world of FF7 is like at human scale. Seeing the world on both scales is important to the game.

Open world games always feel like a small area to me, despite how much time they can take to traverse and regardless of how much stuff they have in them. Being at ground level the whole time fails to give you that global view. Add an airship and all you've done is make an inefficient world map. And I don't care to have stuff to do out in the wilderness. Sure, trade 5 kilos of Loco Weed to Choco-Billy for a Chocobo Lure materia, pffft.

Zones are not a compromise between a world map and an open world. Zones are, if anything, further away from a world map than an open world is and give you the least "sense of the whole" out of any alternative. As a replacement for a world map they have the same flaws as an open world, magnified. FF7 already had places suitable to "zone" type design. Mt. Corel, for example. Places you saw close up, but there were sometimes gaps between screens that got glossed over. That's the strength of the zone concept, being able to focus system resources to make a place look better than if you had to potentially display miles of terrain.

I don't believe that a world map is too expensive (though I don't recall if this argument was ever even made.) In order to try and meet the challenge of making a game as big and ambitious as FF7 on modern hardware Square-Enix has taken the (player-unfriendly) approach of splitting the game into separate parts. I don't believe there is any reason to let the world map slide on reasons of cost, they are already going to milk us multiple times so I'm simply demanding my money's worth. Fuck it, I demand more. The world of FF7 should be criss-crossed with highways, railways, and power lines, all that nature should be dotted with cell phone towers that allow the damn PHS to work. Drive home Shinra's impact on the environment.

Making the small overworld map from VII into big scale open world while also doing the same for the cities and all other areas will take them an extremely long development time, effort and money, see FFXV and how they struggled with that.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
That "Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII" though. Where's the GOAT overworld theme gonna play if there's no overworld? You're crazy if you don't think exploring a vast overworld didn't create a lot of memories for players back then. And a lot of that had to do with the music. There's a reason the improper looping of the theme in the rereleases is considered a game breaking bug to many.
I feel this and I want an overworld too but I don't see it being executed well. Especially with the weapons roaming

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the possibility of this whole remake taking precedent at Square for the next several years, meaning for the FF ip, we won't get a new mainline entry until all episodes are complete and out the door?

Does square have the manpower to produce remake and say, FF16 as well? Or will this be another XIII trilogy of sorts where this is all we get for FF for the next few years.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Definitely get the Steam version and play with the fan translation, available for free here. Also, the PS4 version has, in addition to the regular music loop bug, another music bug whereby the wrong music plays in what it possibly the most important scene in the game. Do not play the PS4 version.
Wait, what scene does it play the wrong music again? i remember people mentioning this.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the possibility of this whole remake taking precedent at Square for the next several years, meaning for the FF ip, we won't get a new mainline entry until all episodes are complete and out the door?

Does square have the manpower to produce remake and say, FF16 as well? Or will this be another XIII trilogy of sorts where this is all we get for FF for the next few years.
An unannounced title under Naoki Yoshida's division/supervision has been in development for a long time and they've been hiring for a while. Not sure if it's entered full production, but it's likely FF16. Once Part 1 is out, maybe the staff will be split. But I feel FF7R will be given priority.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
giphy.gif

This but it's the highwind instead,and controls better
tumblr_oojwp8tCCR1tw2hyao1_500.gif

The boat
image0.gif

And the buggy car we set
You never want this game to release I see....

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Making the small overworld map from VII into big scale open world while also doing the same for the cities and all other areas will take them an extremely long development time, effort and money, see FFXV and how they struggled with that.
They're arguing precisely to not make the overworld map from VII into a big scale open world.

Oct 28, 2017
An unannounced title under Naoki Yoshida's division/supervision has been in development for a long time and they've been hiring for a while. Not sure if it's entered full production, but it's likely FF16. Once Part 1 is out, maybe the staff will be split. But I feel FF7R will be given priority.
Ahh good to know. I'd like to see the next mainline entry revealed soon.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Nostalgia is a drug that hits hard but dies fast. The more episodes they make the bigger the cliff between the games sales wise. Find a way to make it 2-3 $60 to maximize revenue. 4-5 $40-$60 games will see drastic drops in interest and sales by the third entry.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Nostalgia is a drug that hits hard but dies fast. The more episodes they make the bigger the cliff between the games sales wise. Find a way to make it 2-3 $60 to maximize revenue. 4-5 $40-$60 games will see drastic drops in interest and sales by the third entry.
Since it's full games, I can't really see how they can stretch it to 4-5 games. 3 games + Story DLC is going to make a lot more bank than anything else.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Slightly off-topic, but in the throes of Final Fantasy VII Remake hype, I've been looking into buying Dissidia Final Fantasy NT - ...until I stumbled onto this review:

Has there ever been a more scathing review of any entertainment product ever?? This literally plays like a parody and it has totally dissuaded me from buying this game - also of note, is that all of the other reviews I watched gave it very disturbingly low scores as well.

Has anyone here played this that can tell me if it's worth buying?

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
What exactly are the chances that it gets shadowdropped at e3?
I think they will go full force with FFVIIR starting from E3. It's their next big game after FFXV and KH3 (at least from Japan development studio, we know nothing about Avengers and I doubt they want to promote 2 big games at a time, similar how they promoted FFXV and being quite about KH3 and then they promoted KH3, kept FFVIIR in shadow even though all of these games announced at the same time)

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but in the throes of Final Fantasy VII Remake hype, I've been looking into buying Dissidia Final Fantasy NT - ...until I stumbled onto this review:

Has there ever been a more scathing review of any entertainment product ever?? This literally plays like a parody and it has totally dissuaded me from buying this game - also of note, is that all of the other reviews I watched gave it very disturbingly low scores as well.

It's only fun if you're playing with friends. Otherwise it can get pretty boring and the combat is nowhere near as good as OG Dissidia and Dissidia 012.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK

Buy? Just get the free version, no story (which is trash anyway), but you can play online. They rotate 4 characters a week like KI used to do back in the day.

Nothing lost if you just try it out.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

FFVIIR will transform into FFXVI at E3
Or maybe, XVII

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
What I would love to see, though it's probably not feasible, is a to-scale world map. Rather than being all abstracted, have it actually be the world of FFVII in high detail, looking like it actually would from several kilometres in the air, with the characters being little specks on the ground (hopefully visible due to being in a group and riding brightly-coloured Chocobos, with optional HUD arrow). Abstracted large-sized Cloud would be another alternate option.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Fortunately the actual professional, creative minds are more ambitious.

Those same professional, creative minds that have been giving us dud after dud since 2003? If they were really creative and more ambitious they'd make a *new* Final Fantasy that doesn't suck or better yet develop a new IP. Milking the nostalgia of a bygone generation is hardly creative or ambitious, and the sad thing is that they tried it once already and it was a colossal failure creatively speaking.

<Shakes old man fist><polygons_ruined_gaming.gif>

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I really hope they don't choose real actors for most of the characters. I much prefer the anime look in my FF.

I had these same concerns long ago before this generation really started picking up steam, but based on what i'm seeing in the trailer, they are still using appropriate stylization in combination with real faces, which makes them far superior in detail while retaining the aspects which made the designs otherwordly. The FF7R remake trailer's character models are the logical conclusion to the Visual Works CGI dream. Couldn't be happier with the result

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they were really creative and more ambitious they'd make a *new* Final Fantasy that doesn't suck or better yet develop a new IP.
But they've done both of these. Besides, regardless of what you think of those games, there's something to be said about being ambitious and failing rather then "let's just make the same game with higher res anime visuals".

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
But they've done both of these. Besides, regardless of what you think of those games, there's something to be said about being ambitious and failing rather then "let's just make the same game with higher res anime visuals".

You'll be hard pressed to convince me there's been a good Final Fantasy since X.

I agree about being ambitious and failing - I just don't think this remake is either of those things. It's just fancy graphics with 15's awful gameplay. I think (and always have since they first started talking about this years ago) that it was a waste of talent and resources. FF7 was already the perfect game, and Square no longer has the skills or vision to make it better. Sometimes less is more.