• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
You'll be hard pressed to convince me there's been a good Final Fantasy since X.

I agree about being ambitious and failing - I just don't think this remake is either of those things. It's just fancy graphics with 15's awful gameplay. I think (and always have since they first started talking about this years ago) that it was a waste of talent and resources. FF7 was already the perfect game, and Square no longer has the skills or vision to make it better. Sometimes less is more.
It looks nothing like FF15's gameplay.

God this is tiring.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It looks nothing like FF15's gameplay.

God this is tiring.
Yeah people are really clinging to this idea.

The speculation about the combat actually has me really excited if its correct. I like the idea of combining real time combat with "ATB Commands" after an ATB bar fills up. Seems like it could literally be a real time adaptation of classic FF combat.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I don't get people saying it looks like FF15 combat-wise when it demonstrably looks like KH2 and even has the dev lineage to go along with it

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I've seen plenty of people say XV has combat like KH too. I think for some people just having an action/real time combat system in an RPG means they all play the same to them. They seem nothing alike to me.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looking like FFXV has to be just a meme at this point. That's the only thing I can think of to explain why people keep regurgitating it so often.

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake doesn't seem to have the vertical capabilities of FFXV's and KH's combat systems. We have not seen any character jump outside of Limit Break animations.

We have not seen a single instance of aerial combat, like XV does.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I don't get people saying it looks like FF15 combat-wise when it demonstrably looks like KH2 and even has the dev lineage to go along with it

Not XV for sure, i don't know what's up with those who say that, maybe they didn't pay much attention, the combat looks like a mix between KH2 and FFXIII, you can see the characters dash when you chose the move just like XIII and characters can't even jump, that alone separates it from XV.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
People are saying it looks like FFXV because it's real time action, and that's it.

Theyre not looking at the menus, or the gauges, or the actions the characters are making.

They're seeing non turn based combat and equating it to XV since that's the first in the series with real time action combat.

Because theyre fucking morons

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
To me it actually looks like the combat is NOT action combat, but a variation of the classic FF ATB system cleverly disguised as action combat.

The blue bars seem like they are an ATB bar that is split into different "slots" for commands, much like FFXIII's ATB bar. These probably recharge over time, or as the characters use normal attacks.
If you look at the shortcut menu, you can see there's a possibility to switch to other characters, and their available ATB bar slots are also shown. So you can e.g. switch to Barret and use his commands, until his ATB bar is fully used up, while you wait for Cloud's ATB bar to recharge... which is exactly how the original game worked.
So if you're into that, you can play the game in a classic ATB/turn-based FF way.

The major new combat element here is that you can also hit enemies while your ATB bar is depleted - but then you only have access to the normal combos and "punisher" attacks, both of which most likely do less damage than the special command attacks, but they do help to replete the ATB bar faster (or at least to kill time until the ATB bar is full).

So you're still waiting for ATB bars to charge, but the waiting is more fun because you retain control of your character and can do some slightly weaker attacks in-between, and by using the ATB slots individually you can manage just how much of the ATB bar needs to recharge. So while you can play it in the classic way, it can also be much faster and you have things to do while waiting, making it feel like action combat as well.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
People are saying it looks like FFXV because it's real time action, and that's it.

Theyre not looking at the menus, or the gauges, or the actions the characters are making.

They're seeing non turn based combat and equating it to XV since that's the first in the series with real time action combat.

Because theyre fucking morons

You can't even jump god damn it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me it actually looks like the combat is NOT action combat, but a variation of the classic FF ATB system cleverly disguised as action combat.

The blue bars seem like they are an ATB bar that is split into different "slots" for commands, much like FFXIII's ATB bar. These probably recharge over time, or as the characters use normal attacks.
If you look at the shortcut menu, you can see there's a possibility to switch to other characters, and their available ATB bar slots are also shown. So you can e.g. switch to Barret and use his commands, until his ATB bar is fully used up, while you wait for Cloud's ATB bar to recharge... which is exactly how the original game worked.
So if you're into that, you can play the game in a classic ATB/turn-based FF way.

The major new combat element here is that you can also hit enemies while your ATB bar is depleted - but then you only have access to the normal combos and "punisher" attacks, both of which most likely do less damage than the special command attacks, but they do help to replete the ATB bar faster (or at least to kill time until the ATB bar is full).

So you're still waiting for ATB bars to charge, but the waiting is more fun because you retain control of your character and can do some slightly weaker attacks in-between, and by using the ATB slots individually you can manage just how much of the ATB bar needs to recharge. So while you can play it in the classic way, it can also be much faster and you have things to do while waiting, making it feel like action combat as well.

So kinda like Secret of Mana

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
There seems to be zero importance on position and movement as most action RPG's would have. Did everyone who says it looks like FF15 ONLY ever play FF15 or something?

They've said on several occassions it's action based but not entirely action like KH or Dissidia or as fast as them, but it shares similarities.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Those same professional, creative minds that have been giving us dud after dud since 2003? If they were really creative and more ambitious they'd make a *new* Final Fantasy that doesn't suck or better yet develop a new IP. Milking the nostalgia of a bygone generation is hardly creative or ambitious, and the sad thing is that they tried it once already and it was a colossal failure creatively speaking.

<Shakes old man fist><polygons_ruined_gaming.gif>

if it was just about milking, they could a 1:1 Remake with low efforts, mid tier graphics and still sell shittons of copies.

critizise the managament all you want, but i don't doubt Kitase, when he says that this is his magnus opus, or that those veterans (Nomura, Kitase, Nojima) dont take this project serious & only think about milking

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless, the point still stands.

I'm not trying to be argumentative though. Cool if people are into modern Final Fantasies and this one in particular. I just happened to think this is a misguided project from a creative point of view. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.
I don't think any point of that still stands. I think it's ridiculous that there's people who really think there's been not a good FF since 2000 or 1999 or whatever. But fine to each their own on that.

But it's especially weird when I see this project called "cheap cash cow" or "milking" given the staff behind it.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
What I'm interested in is not how many we will have but how will they be used. I wonder if it will be like FF7 (one use per combat) or like FFX but with some tweaks.

I hope it's just an over-the-top cinematic like the original. FFVII was all about spectacle when it came to summons, and I liked that about FFXV too. I don't like the shift in combat that comes with controllable summons. The only time that's worked for me would be something like in Xenogears where there were two completely different battle systems for regular combat and mechs, but I wouldn't really want that for this game.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
What about chocobos, though????

I've barely even thought about that. I'm going to spend so much time on chocobo breeding and racing, good lord (if that's in the remake, for sure).

Oct 25, 2017
What about chocobos, though????

I've barely even thought about that. I'm going to spend so much time on chocobo breeding and racing, good lord (if that's in the remake, for sure).
its racing time
footage3.gif

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
So we just gonna pretend they haven't done both of these things since 2003 huh?

You could argue 12 is good. I don't personally think it is, but I see why people like it. 11 and 14 aren't really even Final Fantasies and 13 and 15 are trash.

if it was just about milking, they could a 1:1 Remake with low efforts, mid tier graphics and still sell shittons of copies.

critizise the managament all you want, but i don't doubt Kitase, when he says that this is his magnus opus, or that those veterans (Nomura, Kitase, Nojima) dont take this project serious & only think about milking

I have no faith in Nomura. I've always felt he was out of his league when it came to directing, and his character designs get worse and worse with each superfluous buckle and zipper. I do have faith in Kitase however. But on a more global level I don't think this game will work because the scope of what is necessary to make this actually better than the original (and anything less will be a failure) is too great practically speaking. If you scale graphics to a factor of X (as in algebra not ten lols) you have to scale the scope of the world to that same level. Otherwise you're left will bland linearity that's been rampant in the series since the PS2 generation.

I don't think any point of that still stands. I think it's ridiculous that there's people who really think there's been not a good FF since 2000 or 1999 or whatever. But fine to each their own on that.

But it's especially weird when I see this project called "cheap cash cow" or "milking" given the staff behind it.

IMO the last good Final Fantasy was 10. 12, not my tastes but I get it. Bravely Default was an awesome Final Fantasy 1 remake and shows frankly how I think Square should be making JRPGs, but it's not technically a Final Fantasy.

Also, so what about the staff. It's not like they've been putting out consistently awesome stuff this whole time. I'm all for giving Kitase the resources to create his magnus opus, but he's already done Final Fantasy 7 - he should do something else something new.

Man ff threads are always a ride.

It's a shame there isn't a badge or something by your name so you can let people know where you fall on fan divisions like this lols.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
* Game about saving the planet.

* No world map, so you never see the planet.

Genius.

Best argument for an overworld map so far. How could I forget about Meteor ominously looming over the landscape toward the end of the game? It's a major build up toward the finale. How would anyone feel the impact of the ending when the lifestream converges with Holy to save the planet without it?
You want Aeris' death to be in vain!?

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Your post is serious hyperbole. Yes the games that have come out have been flawed but not outright terrible in every aspect. Especially not FFXV.

They're not terrible in every aspect. I quite liked the gameplay in 13. 15 was a turd in every aspect though.

We've checked all the boxes but one..... 8 is better than 7

You know, I thought that originally back in the day, but that quickly faded when what the game was really sunk in. It was the beginning of a bunch of bad trends in the series - emos, gaudy character designs, unnecessarily byzantine stories, over reliance on realistic graphics. Still, Triple Triad is the best mini game they've ever had and the final boss is legit challenging if you don't cheese the fight.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they are planning 3 games for the remake then they could give us a different Bahamut per game.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Someone claiming 11 and 14 are not Final Fantasies games? lol - 14 is the BEST Final Fantasy experience you can have right now.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I think the combat only looks like FFXV in terms of the UI style kinda. seems like a way more grounded KH combat where you have a command gauge for special attacks instead of it costing MP so you can't spam em. really curious how blocking works or if it's just a "defend" command, if there's a dodge and jump (doesnt seem to be), how the materia system and learning skills work. what even does a "punisher" mean is it a heavy attack? also wonder how limit breaks work, like how you activate them.

Was hearing about a rumor today about it only being 2 parts (which could be cool) but 3 seems like the safe bet and multiple parts to me implies more than 2 even though that's not technically correct. that or the comparison to FFXIII just automatically triggers the thought of 3 parts and we've never bothered questioning it.

Oct 30, 2017
What I would love to see, though it's probably not feasible, is a to-scale world map. Rather than being all abstracted, have it actually be the world of FFVII in high detail, looking like it actually would from several kilometres in the air, with the characters being little specks on the ground (hopefully visible due to being in a group and riding brightly-coloured Chocobos, with optional HUD arrow). Abstracted large-sized Cloud would be another alternate option.

I actually really like this idea. It would be a high quality top down perspective so it doesn't look cheesy. I think this would be totally doable. This is the best idea for how to do it.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
They're not terrible in every aspect. I quite liked the gameplay in 13. 15 was a turd in every aspect though.

You know, I thought that originally back in the day, but that quickly faded when what the game was really sunk in. It was the beginning of a bunch of bad trends in the series - emos, gaudy character designs, unnecessarily byzantine stories, over reliance on realistic graphics. Still, Triple Triad is the best mini game they've ever had and the final boss is legit challenging if you don't cheese the fight.

Am I misreading? 8 is the beginning of gaudy character design in Final Fantasy? 8's character design is the most reserved in the series. Basically any game with Amano-based designs was far gaudier, what with all the random swatches of brightly colored cloth, jewelry and beads.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like...how does 8 have gaudy designs?

Seifer? Quistis? Laguna?

Does putting some fur around Squall's coat make him gaudy? lol. 8's characters could almost step into Parasite Eve and be just fine.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
One of the reasons I love VIII so much is the somewhat subdued designs of characters that have realistic proportions while still being animu. Basically, peak Nomura artstyle.

These motherfuckers look pretty simple compared to the ridiculousness of, say, X.
final_fantasy_viii_artworks__nomura__by_zelu1984-d64bnpd.png