• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
what does "anime" mean?
7185.jpg

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Like...how does 8 have gaudy designs?

Seifer? Quistis? Laguna?

Does putting some fur around Squall's coat make him gaudy? lol. 8's characters could almost step into Parasite Eve and be just fine.

Increasingly gaudy. 8's designs were fine (except Rinoa - her design is hideous - why is she wearing biker shorts and have 80s leggings on her arms?), but each game Nomura designed for got more and more baroque until again the turd that's 15. People are acting like I just made up the zippers and buckles meme.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Increasingly gaudy. 8's designs were fine (except Rinoa - her design is hideous - why is she wearing biker shorts and have 80s leggings on her arms?), but each game Nomura designed for got more and more baroque until again the turd that's 15. People are acting like I just made up the zippers and buckles meme.

Your point is still wrong since FF games always had gaudy designs .
You just did not notice that much because of the 2d and lack of detail.
If anything FF went back to there old ways after 7, 8 , 9 .

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Your point is still wrong since FF games always had gaudy designs .
You just did not notice that much because of the 2d and lack of detail.
If anything FF went back to there old ways after 7, 8 , 9 .

You're missing the point. In those game you weren't assaulted with embarrassingly awful looking characters at every moment. They also fit into their worlds. Nomura's look like he's trying to hard to be a fashion designer.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You're missing the point. In those game you weren't assaulted with embarrassingly awful looking characters at every moment. They also fit into their worlds. Nomura's look like he's trying to hard to be a fashion designer.

Fit into there world because there 2D .
Cause if those games were 3D and having more detail characters with 5 sets of beads would look hell out of place .

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be zero importance on position and movement as most action RPG's would have. Did everyone who says it looks like FF15 ONLY ever play FF15 or something?

They've said on several occassions it's action based but not entirely action like KH or Dissidia or as fast as them, but it shares similarities.
yeah honestly it's a bit too early to judge because we don't have solid info or much footage... but I feel the combat won't be as "action-y" as many might think.
omz0qcI.gif

Like you said, there seems to be no real positional/movement importance like normal action game. The way this regular attack moves through the field and attack feels way more automated than typical action combat..

D6c-LaVVUAAIMa8.jpg:orig

Also, blocking an attack still does chunk of damage, which makes me feel that the game is designed on the idea that you are suppose to take damage during combat.

I feel it's going to be a bit more action oriented than combats like FFXII/Xenoblade, but less action than full-on action RPG combat like FFXV/KH3

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
yeah honestly it's a bit too early to judge because we don't have solid info or much footage... but I feel the combat won't be as "action-y" as many might think.
omz0qcI.gif

Like you said, there seems to be no real positional/movement importance like normal action game. The way this regular attack moves through the field and attack feels way more automated than typical action combat..

Also, blocking an attack still does chunk of damage, which makes me feel that the game is designed on the idea that you are suppose to take damage during combat.

I feel it's going to be a bit more action oriented than combats like FFXII/Xenoblade, but less action than full-on action RPG combat like FFXV/KH3
Gotta take damage to build limit. Personally, I cant see the battle system as anything other than a modern take on the old system. FF7 was NEVER turn based, regardless of what people mistakenly think. With the blue bars being (I think) ATB gauges, it's just like the old system except now regular attack is a filler as opposed to something you need to wait for. You still need to wait for command attacks and magic, and no doubt these attacks will do more damage than a regular attack to make them worth waiting for and using. You see Cloud in the trailer using some flip attack which costs him one blue bar and does 618 damage as opposed to the 30 that his regular attack does.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I like how the blocking mechanic seems to work and that you can move in any direction while blocking. Also like that there doesn't seem to be a jump button(do hope there's a dodge though).

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta take damage to build limit. Personally, I cant see the battle system as anything other than a modern take on the old system. FF7 was NEVER turn based, regardless of what people mistakenly think. With the blue bars being (I think) ATB gauges, it's just like the old system except now regular attack is a filler as opposed to something you need to wait for. You still need to wait for command attacks and magic, and no doubt these attacks will do more damage than a regular attack to make them worth waiting for and using. You see Cloud in the trailer using some flip attack which costs him one blue bar and does 618 damage as opposed to the 30 that his regular attack does.
yeah they actually called it ATB bar, at least until 2017 build.
D6SzqxtVUAAMf5H.jpg

In 2015 build it seemed like your regular attacks fill up your ATB bar, which you can use it for strong attack like in the trailer.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/boft85/a_collection_of_every_interview/

Here's a collection of every interview regarding FFVIIR. Starting with the latest, down to the first.
There's some really juicy bits here. Some choice quotes:

"Regarding the battle speed and tempo, for the sake of a stress-free battle, we want to do something on the level of Dissidia Final Fantasy. As far as the degree of action goes, it's Dissidia Final Fantasy, then Kingdom Hearts, then Final Fantasy VII Remake. There won't be any actions that require a technique. By using the new system, we want to do action battles while also being able to fight thinking strategically."

In the end, it's based on Final Fantasy VII, so elements like the ATB gauge and Limit Breaks will appear with new ways to be used. Please look forward to how this game will evolve through the remake.

About open world, We can't say anything yet, but we don't plan on fussing about whether it's a so-called open-world or sandbox. But since Nomura is more focused on the creation of the scenery, we want to express an environment character actions affect the scener

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You'll be hard pressed to convince me there's been a good Final Fantasy since X.

I agree about being ambitious and failing - I just don't think this remake is either of those things. It's just fancy graphics with 15's awful gameplay. I think (and always have since they first started talking about this years ago) that it was a waste of talent and resources. FF7 was already the perfect game, and Square no longer has the skills or vision to make it better. Sometimes less is more.
OG FFVII is pretty far from perfect, especially when it comes to gameplay. And this remake is more than just fancier graphics. The devs themselves have said that they weren't interested in remaking FFVII if it just meant the same game with prettier graphics. This is a thorough modernization of FFVII and that is hella ambitious.

And not all action RPGs are FFXV. You have absolutely no idea of the quality of the gameplay/combat system of this remake. Even if it arguably similar looking, that does not count for stuff like responsiveness and smaller details of how you control the combat that can have a big effect on how fun/satisfying more action-y combat is.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017
I immediately thought of Lighting Returns when you said those things but faster pace. I feel FFXII/Xenoblade may be a bit too slow for FFVIIR but I get what you're saying.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
FF1-6 had crazier ass designs than 8 lmao
I agree, but I think with this series, I preferred that. For a fantasy JRPG series called "Final Fantasy" taking place in fantasy worlds with monsters and god-like beings, and magical abilities and shit, Amano's art fit what Square was going for in those early games. FFVII, I loved the more gritty look of the character designs. Lots of rust (rust on Barret's gun arm, rust on the Buster Sword, and such on). I thought FFVIII was too casual and clean. It's strange, though, and maybe just having to do with my taste. While I feel FFXIII is the weakest entry in the series, I actually don't hate the character designs. To me, they are probably the best thing about that game (only talking about FFXIII prime, sequels need not apply). FFXV, which has the main bros dressed up in designer duds, I actually don't mind either. For some reason, FFVIII's character designs are my least favorite of the entire series. Hell, FFX, I think has some eyesore clothing choice, I still am more accepting (maybe because they at least feel unique to the world, somewhat familiar, yet somewhat "alien").

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I actually really like this idea. It would be a high quality top down perspective so it doesn't look cheesy. I think this would be totally doable. This is the best idea for how to do it.

Thank you. I think it would look really cool, but I honestly think it might be quite tough to make. Even from several km up, having to make photorealistic Midgar, Junon, etc. that match what you see running around the city would be daunting. Could they just take the city environments and shrink them? But then how much memory might that take? I actually wonder if it might be easier to just do zones for the separate parts, and then add this map made partly out of the actual full environments for the combined PS5 release.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
omz0qcI.gif

Exactly. I feel like the pace has to be on the slower end compared to KH and Dissidia for what they want to accomplish anyway:
Nomura: "Rather than just ending it at that scaffold, we've made wide use of the space and developed a battle that takes advantage of the map's characteristics where you'll fight while switching between Cloud and Barret. For example, when there's an enemy in a position that can't be reached by Cloud's sword, it's more effective to switch to Barret. It's becoming strategic in that way, as well. The Guard Scorpion will change modes in the middle of the battle and demonstrate behavior not in the original version.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I immediately thought of Lighting Returns when you said those things but faster pace. I feel FFXII/Xenoblade may be a bit too slow for FFVIIR but I get what you're saying.
yeah when I compared to FFXII/Xenoblade, it was more of how combat will be progressed. You won't have and zone transitions, and you will have free movement like FFXII/Xenoblade. The difference is that FFVIIR will be much faster paced, and you will have to press button each time for regular attack unlike Xenoblade where it does auto for you.
There will be elements of Lighting Returns as well of course. It's made by (formerly) BD1 so a lot of staff will overlap.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
omz0qcI.gif

I wonder if blocking will have depth to it. Like, if you just press down the block button, you will always take x% of the full damage, but timing blocking well/perfectly would activate perfect block that negates all damage & maybe stun (some) enemies. That would be a decent balance between FFXV's "dodge everything by pressing down a button" that is made for casuals who suck at action gameplay but makes things too easy for anyone with some skill and more hardcore "if you suck at timing your blocks, be prepared to be mauled by the enemy" style defensive gameplay.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if blocking will have depth to it. Like, if you just press down the block button, you will always take x% of the full damage, but time blocking well/perfectly would activate perfect block that negates all damage & maybe stun (some) enemies. That would be a decent balance between FFXV's "dodge everything by pressing down a button" that is made for casuals who suck at action gameplay and more hardcore "if you suck at timing your blocks, be prepared to be mauled by the enemy" style defensive gameplay.
I am sure there will be some sort of "Just frame" block system like you say. If I remember correctly Lightning Returns had similar just-frame block where if you press it at the right time your block doesn't drain your ATB bar. For this I expect less damage or even no damage.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
omz0qcI.gif

This all sound very good!

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at it, I guess block/guard command is mapped to one of the buttons. Of course there probably won't be any sort of triangle button equivalent like in KH.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I Can't wait to see Next Gen Gold saucer.

Speaking of which, I had a litte mindblowing showerthought about that place where I've only just realized that it is supposed to be based on Yggdrasil with the different realms on the end of each branch. I always wondered why it had such a weird shape lol. Sharing a world with other norse themes like Midgar, Odin, Gungnir, Nibelheim and Midgardsormr etc I'm surprised it took me literally 20 years to notice that.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I am sure there will be some sort of "Just frame" block system like you say. If I remember correctly Lightning Returns had similar just-frame block where if you press it at the right time your block doesn't drain your ATB bar. For this I expect less damage or even no damage.
Hopefully so.

Also, another point I wanted to make in relation to your earlier post. I think the quick snippets of gameplay are too early to make any kind of assumption/speculation that positioning & movement during battles don't matter. Kingdom Hearts also has moves that close in on (locked on) enemies much like what is seen in FFVIIR's footage yet positioning & movement are very important to the combat (at least on higher difficulty levels). We'll need to see more to see if that's the direction they are going with. The characters do seem less agile so we won't necessarily be dodge rolling infinitely around the battlefields, but I imagine we can avoid enemy attacks by carefully moving around them and timing offensive & defensive play well.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully so.

Also, another point I wanted to make in relation to your earlier post. I think the quick snippets of gameplay are too early to make any kind of assumption/speculation that positioning & movement during battles don't matter. Kingdom Hearts also has moves that close in on (locked on) enemies much like what is seen in FFVIIR's footage yet positioning & movement are very important to the combat (at least on higher difficulty levels). We'll need to see more to see if that's the direction they are going with. The characters do seem less agile so we won't necessarily be dodge rolling infinitely around the battlefields, but I imagine we can avoid enemy attacks by carefully moving around them and timing offensive & defensive play well.
Yeah I agree it's too early to make these assumptions. I just felt Cloud's movement and attacks felt more automated than anything I have seen in KH3 or FFXV.. It will also be curious to see how the general movement of the character is.
Hopefully we see a lot more footage and information next month to get proper idea on how the combat works.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

That's...

Thats actually a very comprehensive and sensible observation! Thank you! It really doesn't look like FFXV combat to me (thank god), your description makes sense with the footage we have seen and the combat loop ties to the original.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at it, I guess block/guard command is mapped to one of the buttons. Of course there probably won't be any sort of triangle button equivalent like in KH.
yeah 2015 build had defend as one of the command menu option, 2017 seemed to have removed it and 2019 is probably the same. I think it's better to have block mapped to a button rather than having to select it from the command menu..

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
yeah 2015 build had defend as one of the command menu option, 2017 seemed to have removed it and 2019 is probably the same. I think it's better to have block mapped to a button rather than having to select it from the command menu..
Agree and it would be more tedious anyway. Since they are using KH2's UI system to some degree, you'd want to map other commands to it.

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope this game's combat is as versatile and varied like FFXV's. Else I'm really going to miss the aerial attacks, the flanking, blindsiding, real time weapon switching, group attacks and magic that does more then simply inflict damage.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
This is all we got so far on Materia anyway:
"As for the ATB and techniques, those are for another time. Regarding Materia, what I can say is that it's something like a skill. Different from magic, you can use it when you've set a Materia that has an effect that can be used in battle."

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they plan to implement the amount of Materia there is in the game for fighting.
Most of them translate pretty fine to a more action-y system as is (grand spells/stats/summons/skills) and ultimately there really aren't all that many materia in the game so I would think development time constraints shouldn't be too much of an issue. Not sure how well something like W-Summon fits in an action RPG but others seem fairly doable in one. If anything, I could see them adding some new materia rather than removing a lot, considering this is now multiple games.

Oct 30, 2017
Most of them translate pretty fine to a more action-y system as is (grand spells/stats/summons/skills) and ultimately there really aren't all that many materia in the game so I would think development time constraints shouldn't be too much of an issue. Not sure how well something like W-Summon fits in an action RPG but others seem fairly doable in one. If anything, I could see them adding some new materia rather than removing a lot, considering this is now multiple games.

What I'm wondering is how will moving around and attacking while going through a menu to select one of several spells, especially across three characters all in real time going to be intuitive? Its possible I'm sure, but I have a hard time imagining that being fluid.

Maybe something like a radial menu like Witcher 3?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm wondering is how will moving around and attacking while going through a menu to select one of several spells, especially across three characters all in real time going to be intuitive? Its possible I'm sure, but I have a hard time imagining that being fluid.

Maybe something like a radial menu like Witcher 3?
I'd hope AI can handle some magic usage and a customizable quickmenu akin to KH for the controllable character will mostly work fine.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder (and hope) if they're still gonna put the more unconventional Materia in the game, like Destruct, Gravity, Transform and all the Support Materia like All, etc.