• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get what you mean. Are you saying that Aerith built the house?

talking about the flowers, clean water, sunlight, etc. That beauty can't exist in Midgar. Only she was able to accomplish such things down there. The land Midgar sits on is pretty much dead

the house itself was already inhabited by her adoptive mother before Aerith showed up. But the outside was garbage like the rest of the slums before

While the house itself may be nice, it wouldn't be nearly as good looking without the outside that Aerith raised

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
talking about the flowers, clean water, sunlight, etc. That beauty can't exist in Midgar. Only she was able to accomplish such things down there. The land Midgar sits on is pretty much dead

the house itself was already inhabited by her adoptive mother before Aerith showed up. But the outside was garbage like the rest of the slums before

While the house itself may be nice, it wouldn't be nearly as good looking without the outside that Aerith raised
I see. Though, the biggest point of contention is the house. Large, has solid roof, sturdy stone walls and floors, nice furniture. While everyone just outside lives in cans.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see. Though, the biggest point of contention is the house. Large, has solid roof, sturdy stone walls and floors, nice furniture. While everyone just outside lives in cans.

I think the only reason they weren't robbed or run from the home is obviously because the Turks pretty much guarded the place

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her husband joined the shinra army, probably low rank to live in the slums but better than people there, i believe.

also keep in mind her husband had that house long before the Wutai war. We don't know how bad the slums even were then. Also possible she just took really good care of the house. Especially after Aerith came into the picture.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I'd love a more grounded take on combat...where you move around the map and have to really plan your strategy! Let's see the monsters actually hit hard and push the characters back when you have to block. stuff like that is so good to me

This is what I want too! Considering the more grounded visual style they've been going for I would expect the combat to be more grounded too. It would also be nice because we would have a little variety between our SE ARPGs. KH is over the top, where your characters can do seemingly anything while FF7R can have more weight. If there is a jump button I want the air attacks to feel really heavy.

Really hope FF7 has a jump. Let me launch someone with Cloud, air combo them with Tifa then finish them with Barret who charged a big shot or something

That sounds cool too. Hopefully they can make each character feel really distinct.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The only issue is that it would kinda clash with the rest of FF7 where they are jumping around like they are on the goddamned moon. but if they want this game to have its own distinct identity, letting that stuff go seems most prudent

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I'd much prefer a dodge maneuver over a jump. A more weighted approach would make the fights more engaging imo.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see the X button being defensive capabilities for each character.

Cloud- Block (like in the trailer)
Tifa- Ability to jump (pressing attack in midair could do a downward attack)
Red xiii- A quick dash
Barret- Block or a roll
Aeris- ???

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The ones where attacking happens more from a side view allow you to jump other ones Graces, Zesteria, Berseria don't have a jump

Really hope FF7 has a jump. Let me launch someone with Cloud, air combo them with Tifa then finish them with Barret who charged a big shot or something
They could technically do an automated jump combo like they did with FFXIII.

Nomura did want to do party switching combo for Versus so maybe he might revive the concept here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Games like FF7 and FF8 - have a lot of set pieces and highly cinematic action moments.

And how the original games implement those in the past - was add gimmicks to the battle to make it feel like you were actively participating in a battle that's more than just a regular battle condition. Like a countdown timer that plays while bomb was happening - or in FF8 where you have to 'run away' from a boss as part of a mission where you have to race back to your ship.

There were many moments in the game where you're actively partaking in an elaborate set-pieces that blends cutscene and gameplay.

In other words - a lot of Final Fantasy moments like these are like Uncharted games.

For me - the natural reimagination or evolution of adapting those set-pieces today - would be to "keep-them-on-the-stick" and make them playable. Just like Uncharted games. Instead of cool moments that aren't part of the ATB-system being relegated to QTEs or long-cutscenes, make them instead playable set-pieces.

In that sense, an action approach works well towards the ideal of actualising core gameplay and movement into a set-piece driven game. Otherwise, a lot of times - what we see is that cool sequences that are not suitable for turn-based are relegated to cutscenes instead.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i have my doubts this game will have a jump button in combat, that being said even if it has no purpose i'd like a jump button. dodge would be better i think for this combat, based on what we've seen.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I am curious if they will show whatever they show at the concert right away. They did show the orchestra trailer in 2017 right away when the concert finished, but it also ended up being the E3 trailer. For 2018, it stayed exclusive and we never got to see it public, and E3 few days later showed different trailer.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
They really need at E3 to:

-announce release date (or at least window)
-detail on how the game will be structured. How many games it will end up being, timeframe between each release
-go indepth on the combat and general gameplay
-some exploration of Midgar
-show Tifa

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're going to get this and the rest at Gamescom and TGS.
Well yeah I guess they would have to save some for the other gameshows...
If they are only going to give window, I hope it's a bit clear. Something like "Spring 2020" at minimum, giving month would be better.

If they are intending on releasing the game by Q1 2020, I do feel there will be playable demo at E3 and if it does, we will probably get much more info on the combat.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
They really need at E3 to:

-announce release date (or at least window)
-detail on how the game will be structured. How many games it will end up being, timeframe between each release
-go indepth on the combat and general gameplay
-some exploration of Midgar
-show Tifa
I think you're going to get what you want for the most part. I for one am really looking forward to what they've got to show.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Well yeah I guess they would have to save some for the other gameshows...
If they are only going to give window, I hope it's a bit clear. Something like "Spring 2020" at minimum, giving month would be better.

If they are intending on releasing the game by Q1 2020, I do feel there will be playable demo at E3 and if it does, we will probably get much more info on the combat.
Yeah, I agree. I think we'll get a closed doors demo actually. But Kitase did say, the next time they show FF7R, they want to show it with a playable demo so who knows.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am curious if they will show whatever they show at the concert right away. They did show the orchestra trailer in 2017 right away when the concert finished, but it also ended up being the E3 trailer. For 2018, it stayed exclusive and we never got to see it public, and E3 few days later showed different trailer.

My bet is either a cutscene or a sneak peek at the extended E3 trailer.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I agree. I think we'll get a closed doors demo actually. But Kitase did say, the next time they show FF7R, they want to show it with a playable demo so who knows.
Looking at KH3 as a example, the game had January 2019 release date. They announced the release date at the concert right before E3, and they had public playable demo starting E3. Square does like to promote the game with playable demo so I do think this is a great time for it. Also SE's E3 booth size seems similar to last year, and last year they had huge KH3 demos but this time we don't really know what game that would warrant huge booth other than FF7R demo being there.. (unless they do surprise Avengers announcement but I doubt it.)

dancegrenade

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I am really hoping it won't be episodic anymore. Waiting for another game to finish the story is going to be so lame. Guess I shouldn't get my hopes up though.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at KH3 as a example, the game had January 2019 release date. They announced the release date at the concert right before E3, and they had public playable demo starting E3. Square does like to promote the game with playable demo so I do think this is a great time for it. Also SE's E3 booth size seems similar to last year, and last year they had huge KH3 demos but this time we don't really know what game that would warrant huge booth other than FF7R demo being there.. (unless they do surprise Avengers announcement but I doubt it.)
Ah right. I forgot the concert had a new short ver. trailer and a release date and then they had an info and public blowout at E3. It should follow a similar pattern. And yeah definitely not happening, I think it's still ridiculous people thought Avengers had a chance of coming first, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone wants to see Tifa I'm over here worried about my boy Red XIII. Going to be interesting to see how they handle his fur style.

Word, he was always one of my favorites, but has not meaningfully featured in compilation (and looked horrible in AC).

Modern SE seems to have cooled on.non-human party members, so I wonder if they'll remove him as a playable party member....

Oct 27, 2017
They will not do that kind of a massive no sense pissing off the fans change.

Be reasonable.

I sure hope not, but I could see him being turned into an A.I character, periodically rolling through with an Interceptor takedown.

Large varied parties were something I enjoyed in IV, VI, VII, and IX, but modern SE has shrunk party size and diversity, and characters like Red and Cait are easy places to imagine a cut for Remake. How many ARPGs have 9 switchable party members in team based combat? I'm not betting it will happen, but nor would I be that surprised....

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope not, but I could see him being turned into an A.I character, periodically rolling through with an Interceptor takedown.

Large varied parties were something I enjoyed in IV, VI, VII, and IX, but modern SE has shrunk party size and diversity, and characters like Red and Cait are easy places to imagine a cut for Remake. How many ARPGs have 9 switchable party members in team based combat? I'm not betting it will happen, but nor would I be that surprised....
I mean.. the whole reason why they are spliting this game into multipe parts is so that they make less compromise as possible..
Also I feel this game's combat won't be full-on action game style so I think they will fit all the characters.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. the whole reason why they are spliting this game into multipe parts is so that they make less compromise as possible..
Also I feel this game's combat won't be full-on action game style so I think they will fit all the characters.

Sure sure, but something is going to get compromised on - number of summons, visual oomph of higher level spells, implementation of higher level materia, whatever. I'd just find a compromise on playable characters to be the most disappointing, and Nanaki is one of my all time favorite FF characters, so I'm mentally girding myself, just in case. Expect the worst, etc. etc.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think we will see the same amount of weapons per Character as in the original?

There was a lot, if I remember correctly.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Sure sure, but something is going to get compromised on - number of summons, visual oomph of higher level spells, implementation of higher level materia, whatever. I'd just find a compromise on playable characters to be the most disappointing, and Nanaki is one of my all time favorite FF characters, so I'm mentally girding myself, just in case. Expect the worst, etc. etc.
I mean I do agree with there being some sort of compromises regarding stuff like weapon, materia, summons, magic.... but I don't see them not having one of the main party members not being playable...

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
If they were to remove my man Nanaki as a playable character (they won't), I'd riot.

This got me thinking: I'm assuming they're forcing us to play in cities and towns as Cloud in cities and towns (which makes sense), but I wonder if we'll be able to control the others outside of battles in, say, dungeons or the overworld (whatever form it's in). As in, walking through the scenery as, say, Barret.

Never went back to it, but XV forces you to control Noctis once the battle is done, right?
Do you think we will see the same amount of weapons per Character as in the original?

There was a lot, if I remember correctly.
I wonder about that too.

Especially if it seems that we have them always visible and they're built to visually hold Materia. Iirc not all of Cloud's swords stayed true to that. As seen here:
d2hobwp-dbf7bca7-5596-414a-8109-e5d495a7260f.jpg

It'd be really easy to implement the holes, though.

I think they might shake things a little in terms of there being some new ones and some not returning. Not a big deal on my end so long as there's a good variety and amount (and the cooler ones are still in).

Really want to see Remake Hardedge.

Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, instead of seeing all the old weapons, I'd rather have upgrades for the default weapons. The Buster Sword is iconic. I don't want to put it away. If I can just keep adding slots to that instead, I'd love it.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Is this a thread where we can discuss potential leaks? I've noticed a few patterns in some of the "leaks" on the subreddit but obviously they're all rumors and should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
What leaks are there anyway?
There's literally just a few people posting on the VII subreddit. Like I said, no sourcing or anything so massive grain of salt.

I just thought it was interesting that there were some similarities between these two:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemak...do_just_posted_a_leak_and_delete_his/envt7yu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemak...ard/en4xy43?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

The one that stuck out to me the most is that both of them mention that the game would be split into two parts with part 1 ending with Aeris death, which, outside of a greatly expanded Midgar, might make the most sense as a division point for the episodes.

Again, these are completely unsourced and unfounded, so there's no reason whatsoever to believe them, but it could make for some interesting discussion and speculation.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I would love it to be two parts as well, but I just can't trust those rumors personally... They sound way too good to be true, especially the November release..

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's literally just a few people posting on the VII subreddit. Like I said, no sourcing or anything so massive grain of salt.

I just thought it was interesting that there were some similarities between these two:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemak...do_just_posted_a_leak_and_delete_his/envt7yu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemak...ard/en4xy43?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

The one that stuck out to me the most is that both of them mention that the game would be split into two parts with part 1 ending with Aeris death, which, outside of a greatly expanded Midgar, might make the most sense as a division point for the episodes.

Again, these are completely unsourced and unfounded, so there's no reason whatsoever to believe them, but it could make for some interesting discussion and speculation.
Even if this isn't true, man it's just fun to read stuff like this. Probably setting myself up for a big letdown but still, this type of stuff keeps me excited!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That second link... I don't buy how a journo would know this much, even at what point Yuffie may or may not be mandatory and all of that. The leak is so precise in a lot of things to believe, feels like that journo played the whole game when it's of course not realistic to think.