• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Personally, I need to see some well-paced dialogue scenes without snappy trailer editing at least before I form a final opinion on the English voice work, but nothing about it sounds BAD. It's not like we're dealing with PS1/PS2-era voice acting here.

I will say this, in some instances, yes - there is some really rough dialogue pacing. Advent Children had it in spade, but I haven't seen that here. It's been nothing but solid voice work. We have yet to see a full scene play out in the remake.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I get that everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but can those of you who don't care for the English VA's stop shitting on them in such a toxic way?

It's your preference, I get it. I happen to like pretty much all of it, and i'm super excited for all the new voices. But this should be a happy moment for all of us. Let's not start with the elitist BS over here. There's enough of that in literally every other thread on Reset...
Agreed with this so much. People just love being negative and toxic though.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
A better look at Ifrit (I honestly feel he's my favourite rendition of the summon so far) and a new snippet of Tifa at the bar. She looks particularly great in this one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will say this, in some instances, yes - there is some really rough dialogue pacing. Advent Children had it in spade, but I haven't seen that here. It's been nothing but solid voice work. We have yet to see a full scene play out in the remake.

It doesn't help that these trailers are all edited really really quickly and scenes just jump around and the lines often feel like they're just stapled together from random scenes rather then feeling like continuous dialogue back-and-forths.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
When I played the demo at E3 the voice acting seemed fine to me. The "problem" is moreso everything being cut super super faster and abrupt in the trailers. Things are much better in-game. At least from what I played.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
When I played the demo at E3 the voice acting seemed fine to me. The "problem" is moreso everything being cut super super faster and abrupt in the trailers. Things are much better in-game. At least from what I played.

This is the impression I've been getting. The dialogue in the gameplay footage generally feels pretty natural compared to the slapdash, rushed editing style of the trailers.

Are people expecting an Edgar Wright level of dialogue pacing out of a video game?

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
It doesn't help that these trailers are all edited really really quickly and scenes just jump around and the lines often feel like they're just stapled together from random scenes rather then feeling like continuous dialogue back-and-forths.

It doesn't at all! I played the demo and honestly the way Cloud and Barret play off each other is really neat, it's almost natural like you'd expect it to be. I spent around a half hour and I had zero complaints about it.

This was my experience too. I have nothing but praise for what we're getting.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I think the other problem is a bunch of people who don't speak a lick of Japanese are making a bunch of broad assumptions about the quality of the Japanese VA because they prefer subs or some shit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the other problem is a bunch of people who don't speak a lick of Japanese are making a bunch of broad assumptions about the quality of the Japanese VA because they prefer subs or some shit.

This always happens. There's this weird belief in some circles that Japanese voice acting is inherently better than English voice acting, but that belief almost exclusively comes out of the fact that a lot of English speakers don't know enough Japanese to be able to identify bad acting.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
But for that, they need to have a beginning, middle and end as well for a satisfying stand-alone experience. Unless they change a lot of the story element, the original story covering Midgar only is far too short to have any sort of depth for a complete story. So you just end up with a cliffhanger that blatantly sets up for a sequel. Movies are different because they're short enough that you don't get so invested in the time on the medium, but for a game you want a conclusion at the end, not to be hit with a 'to be continued...' when the game cover doesn't even hint at there being more games to follow.

Like I said, if they're to be believed, they'll do that. They're clearly adding a lot more to it, and they've already stated they're fleshing out a lot more than was in the original game; if it works out well, I'd wager it'll be more like seasons of a TV show than a movie, y'know? Like, Avatar: The Last Airbender had seasons that each had their own narrative arcs, but it also built up to the final confrontation with the Fire Lord. If Square's product lives up to their promises (making each part the size and scope of a full Final Fantasy game), it'll be like that.

Obviously, that's a pretty big if. The trailers look like they might actually pull it off, but there's no way of knowing yet. I just don't think it's inherently bad to split it into parts; it's clearly partially a money-grab, but to make each area actually feel as big as it should (let alone add content they think could improve upon things or be interesting), it would probably need multiple parts.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Personally, I need to see some well-paced dialogue scenes without snappy trailer editing at least before I form a final opinion on the English voice work, but nothing about it sounds BAD. It's not like we're dealing with PS1/PS2-era voice acting here.

This, especially for Barrett, I want to hear a couple lines of real dialogue, maybe a conversation with Marlene or something. Reno and Rude I also think got a little shafted in the newest trailer, their lines needed more context and pacing.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Japanese VA is way better, not only that but some lines are also more engaging for me. That said after seeing the demo playthrough is clear that the english VA was done dirty in this trailer.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't read anything into the pacing of the VA in the trailer... that's just how the editor decided to cut it. I'm not sure why, but lots of JRPG trailers have very strange and disjointed VA.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
As stupid as the design might be (although I honestly don't hate at all), I'm happy to see more SOLDIERs that are not maskless goons. It's such an easy and smart idea for a game set entirely on Midgar than I'm surprised I had never even considered it.

They could make for nice bosses and make Shinra as a whole feel more alive, bigger and more competent.

I wonder if that opens the door for new Turks (I know there are quite a few non-FF VII ones in the Compilation, can only remember Cissnei tbh).

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
The Remnants are literally manifested out of Jenova cells in the Northern Crater after the final battle in the original game. One of the novels explains it, they basically grow out of clusters of Jenova material left over after Jenova-SYNTHESIS and Sephiroth are destroyed.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks! I haven't read much of the ancillary material.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I hope they keep the gag that Rude's AI is programmed to never attack Tifa in battle because of his crush on her. Always thought that was a hilarious detail in the original.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This always happens. There's this weird belief in some circles that Japanese voice acting is inherently better than English voice acting, but that belief almost exclusively comes out of the fact that a lot of English speakers don't know enough Japanese to be able to identify bad acting.
True.

Although after a while you start to pick up how some tropes will have the same type of intonations and voice acting over and over and over...

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Asked in the other thread but do we have a 4k/HD render of the Aeris face shot in WallMarket from the trailer? Need that for my new background.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, if they're to be believed, they'll do that. They're clearly adding a lot more to it, and they've already stated they're fleshing out a lot more than was in the original game; if it works out well, I'd wager it'll be more like seasons of a TV show than a movie, y'know? Like, Avatar: The Last Airbender had seasons that each had their own narrative arcs, but it also built up to the final confrontation with the Fire Lord. If Square's product lives up to their promises (making each part the size and scope of a full Final Fantasy game), it'll be like that.

Obviously, that's a pretty big if. The trailers look like they might actually pull it off, but there's no way of knowing yet. I just don't think it's inherently bad to split it into parts; it's clearly partially a money-grab, but to make each area actually feel as big as it should (let alone add content they think could improve upon things or be interesting), it would probably need multiple parts.
The thing is I honestly don't trust SE in coming up with good new story/writing in relation to FF7. All the previous newly added FF7 related story element in the compilation have sucked balls, so the less they touch the original script, the better for me.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the fan petition I've seen going around (called Operation Reunion) to get the "original" FF7 cast back as a post-launch DLC option. Recasts happen a lot, and for a myriad of reasons, and tbh if I was one of the new voice actors I'd be pretty hurt that people don't want to listen to my performance as that character.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm enjoying the new soundtrack from what I've heard (really adds to the new coat of paint), but I wonder if Square would pull a RE2make and add an option to plug in the original OST? Maybe for a second playthrough?

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
What the hell, no to all of that. Where are your standards? Not a single game you listed holds a candle to the industry's best. I adore these games but can at least admit they have failings, and VO has been the #1 for some time. The actors they hire are fantastic. The direction and overal quality is what is horrible.

FF XII's VA is easily up there as one of the "industry's best" though.

I'd like to know what VA you consider amazing now :D
[/QUOTE]

Uncharted series, last of us, (most of) insomniacs Spider-Man, modern Tomb Raider, GTA5 (proves good direction and good talent can overcome a bad script and bad lines), Red Dead Series, Deus Ex MD (from a technical perspective not so much a talent one, but you can tell they learned a ton from Human Revolution and made MD substantially better regarding technical recordings, direction and delivery).

FFXII had horribly compressed audio (still bad on the rerelease) and Vann's artist ruins the show, along with bad delivery timings and weird forced pauses. It felt like a bad dub, just like all voiced FF's have.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
True.

Although after a while you start to pick up how some tropes will have the same type of intonations and voice acting over and over and over...

Yuuuuuup. I'm in the weird middle-ground where I speak enough Japanese for bad acting to grate on me but I'm not fully fluent.

And then there's the ultra-cliche i am the emotionless loli character who speaks in a monotone nonsense and "I END ALL MY SENTENCES WITH DESU, DESU" stuff like that where the VA repetition really starts to needle in my brain, regardless of the quality of the performance.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuuuuuup. I'm in the weird middle-ground where I speak enough Japanese for bad acting to grate on me but I'm not fully fluent.

And then there's the ultra-cliche i am the emotionless loli character who speaks in a monotone nonsense and "I END ALL MY SENTENCES WITH DESU, DESU" stuff like that where the VA repetition really starts to needle in my brain, regardless of the quality of the performance.
My wife is watching Deadman Wonderland and Im just having fun figuring out what each characters personas are like just by their voices while Im on the bed.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The thing is I honestly don't trust SE in coming up with good new story/writing in relation to FF7. All the previous newly added FF7 related story element in the compilation have sucked balls, so the less they touch the original script, the better for me.

To be fair, new story elements added to the compilation were done/approved like ten years (and more) ago and not during one of Square's strongest creative times, to say the least. There's been plenty of time for Nomura to reflect on that, grow, and, hopefully Nojima and Kitase are putting a bit more serious work into this than they did with the compilation projects. From what I've seen so far, I think they have.
Considering the excellent story/character work for FFXIV, I just don't buy the "modern Square can't pull this off" narrative that some people (not saying that's you, Castle) have been saying since VIIR was announced. I want to believe standards have gotten higher and bars have been raised. Guess we'll see.

Not sure how I feel about the fan petition I've seen going around (called Operation Reunion) to get the "original" FF7 cast back as a post-launch DLC option. Recasts happen a lot, and for a myriad of reasons, and tbh if I was one of the new voice actors I'd be pretty hurt that people don't want to listen to my performance as that character.

Ayyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee.... fuckin' petitions...

Oct 31, 2017
Uncharted series, last of us, (most of) insomniacs Spider-Man, modern Tomb Raider, GTA5 (proves good direction and good talent can overcome a bad script and bad lines), Red Dead Series, Deus Ex MD (from a technical perspective not so much a talent one, but you can tell they learned a ton from Human Revolution and made MD substantially better regarding technical recordings, direction and delivery).

I agree on TLOU at least :P

Your quoting game sucks by the way lol

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I think that might be it. For final judgement, I'll have to play the whole game, but the dialog in the release of the bombing mission has better integrated dialog than in the trailers. It might just be how the trailers were edited and that the final version, the VOs will be implemented into those scenes better.

I don't know any Japanese, but yeah, even with Japanese VA, sometimes the heavy play into tropey stereotypes is just as bad as bad English VA direction. Though, sometimes that also leans in on anime in general. There are some overplayed tropes that I've grown tired of. It's something about my patience with overplaying shit. I like things the first time, and the second time, fine. Hell, maybe my tolerance extends up to the fifth time, but when everybody and their mommas are doing it, just for the sake, "just because", I've over it. A lot of shit in Western media (cartoons, movies, music), I feel the same way towards. My tolerance grows thin the more someone keeps aping a stereotype or a style, "just for the sake".

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know any Japanese, but yeah, even with Japanese VA, sometimes the heavy play into tropey stereotypes is just as bad as bad English VA direction. Though, sometimes that also leans in on anime in general. There are some overplayed tropes that I've grown tired of. It's something about my patience with overplaying shit. I like things the first time, and the second time, fine. Hell, maybe my tolerance extends up to the fifth time, but when everybody and their mommas are doing it, just for the sake, "just because", I've over it. A lot of shit in Western media (cartoons, movies, music), I feel the same way towards. My tolerance grows thin the more someone keeps aping a stereotype or a style, "just for the sake".

Yeah. I've been playing RPGs for such a long time that I have so little patience for some of the Japanese side of the industry's favorite voice acting and writing tropes. Emotionless little girl characters are exhausting. Peppy kid characters are like nails on a chalkboard. Catgirl characters who stick "nya" into every other word are an exercise in testing my patience (thank GOD they got rid of that shit from Nia's localized dialogue in XC2, she's one of the only characters I didn't want to throw off a cliff and even then they ruin her in the endgame), and so on and so forth.

I don't know why it's so hard to just write characters who are interesting because of who they are rather than which tired, overused stereotypes are assembled into their only character traits.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jessie telling Cloud to "burn some rubber" is really bothering more than it should.

they're going to say the same thing right before they get to Don Corneo, "he's going to try and burn some rubbers"

anyway, im fine with the new actors, this game is already such an overall, its already something quite different, different voices aren't going to hurt me really

Last edited:

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
Anyone else look at all these bike-gymnastics and Loz-Style lightning dashes and get really bad Advent Children vibes from all this? I'm all for seeing more members of Soldier and giving the Turks extra screentime but I hope they'll dial back the erratic/showy anime conventions.

As for the dialogue that's currently getting mentions, it does seem really stilted and flat. Hopefully it was only a rush-job for the trailer and the dialogue will be revised/improved before release.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. The acting itself in the trailer never sounds bad, how it is positioned and directed in this particular trailer, which as you say is a bunch of snappy cuts perhaps doesn't represent the quality well. Plus, even the direction of the trailer never reached the heights where I was like rolling my eyes at how bad it was. I think we'll only know how good the overall presentation is when there's more actual moment-to-moment gameplay to dissect.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else look at all these bike-gymnastics and Loz-Style lightning dashes and get really bad Advent Children vibes from all this? I'm all for seeing more members of Soldier and giving the Turks extra screentime but I hope they'll dial back the erratic/showy anime conventions.

As for the dialogue that's currently getting mentions, it does seem really stilted and flat. Hopefully it was only a rush-job for the trailer and the dialogue will be revised/improved before release.
It was funny how some people were saying the whole Reno coming down and being deflected by Cloud is very similar to Aranea and Noctis's fight in FFXV. It was Nomura said, "Hey, I thought that up! I'm taking it back and using it in FFVIIR!"

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It was funny how some people were saying the whole Reno coming down and being deflected by Cloud is very similar to Aranea and Noctis's fight in FFXV. It was Nomura said, "Hey, I thought that up! I'm taking it back and using it in FFVIIR!"
This is exactly what I thought about when I saw the scene. Noctis versus Aranea which ended up being on of the best fights in the whole game. It's a shame you only fight her that one time.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A better look at Ifrit (I honestly feel he's my favourite rendition of the summon so far) and a new snippet of Tifa at the bar. She looks particularly great in this one.

oBvSZSR.jpg

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Voice acting sounds great to me, as with every mainline FF. Has my heavy consumption of jrpg cheese throughout the years left me biased? Who can say. But it ain't like this is some Type-0 shit.