• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
I hope the Jeno-Seph is the only version we'll see smiling so much,
I never felt that evil-grin vibe from Sephiroth in the original game.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
those Tifa pull ups made me go back to the E3 trailer and the combat animations are so incredibly bad ass (sorry about the huge gif)

GYoKEhT.gif
Hand-to-Hand fighters is one of my fetishes when it comes to fighting styles in video games. I don't think I'm going to be playing as anyone else once Tifa joins my party.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
How so? Jenova and Sephiroth are two different people.
But they aren't independent agents, Jenova is Sephiroth's way of manifesting his hive mind of "clones".

Jenova is as close as possible to being brain dead in the game. Just a catalyst for "reunion theory" ie Sephiroth being able to do shit while he's dead in North Cave

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It's one of the reasons I'm not against expanding the Midgar section to its own game. There is a lot of story and emotion that can be pulled from that arc which was only hinted at and rushed through in the original.

Rather than FF7R being looked at as a padded out version of the original game, FF7R bout to make FF7 look like "FF7 the cliffnotes version"!

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What I found the most amazing is that even the characters don't look chibi a ymore, they still behave like the original. It feels so nostalgic. I hope this game is good. Please god, make it a good game!

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I don't like president shinra being an hologram. Neither this wutai bull.
The Wutai stuff is harmless tho. As in, for now, it's just a nod to a previous in-universe event and nothing implies AVALANCHE being backed by them if Barret's reaction is to be believed. Just the fact that there was a war (and that there might be insurgents still).

I honestly like it, the original was pretty bad with regards to everything Wutai-related for one reason or another (it being optional and such a small place among those; there were ways to make it feel bigger in the prerendered background or whatever for instance).

The hologram I get. I don't have a strong opinion either way, although it makes more sense that the Prez isn't there in the midst of danger. I kinda like how goofy it is. I prefer his fat President design however.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

Nah those are both good changes. The president showing up himself to confront terrorists was always dumb. Wutai is probably the only place in the planet to pose a threat to Shinra and it's good that it's getting proper play here. Both for future Yuffie and the story.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah those are both good changes. The president showing up himself to confront terrorists was always dumb. Wutai is probably the only place in the planet to pose a threat to Shinra and it's good that it's getting proper play here. Both for future Yuffie and the story.
Agreed on both points, especially the Shinra hologram one. Though, that was kind of a boss move to show up in front of them in the original. It's like the OG president didn't even view them as a real threat, while the remake president is more focused on playing the puppeteer.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If the Wutai new plot line is used to show how of a manipulative a megacorporation, that basically acts as the de facto world goverment, can be, it could be a plus. This is something that it can be used to expand the whole Midgar section of the game, to show Shinra as a dystopia neoleberalism wet dream.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Those are two separate things. The president being a hologram looks kinda silly, but I think it's a wash whether it's better he shows up or not. And honestly, it'd be really cool if the only time we see him in the flesh is him dead.

The Wutai stuff is cool imo. Shinra and Wutai have some history, and one angle they could play with this whole terrorist thing is painting it as something a group Wutai would do. It's gross politics, but it's not unheard of.

Because Barret isn't a cold blooded murderer.

He's willingly killing people for what he believes in. The president represents everything he hates and he would absolutely kill him if given the opportunity.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Because Barret isn't a cold blooded murderer.

he explodes a bunch of innocents and explains it away as being for "the greater good", this quote is from after meeting the Prez and the plate fall but the "it's never been nobody but the Shinra" is something that never leaves him until towards the end of the game

qL6KOHj.png

There weren't even other soldiers to gun him down so he didn't even have to worry about leaving Marlene behind.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, Barret would mow down that motherfucker no doubt.

The only thing that would make him think twice about it is if his successor is worse than him or if killing him would make things worse for his cause.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, Barret would mow down that motherfucker no doubt.

The only thing that would make him think twice about it is if his successor is worse than him or if killing him would make things worse for his cause.
Honestly, I doubt he'd think that far ahead. A big part of Barret's arc is him realizing that his propensity toward violence, even when justified, has consequences that he doesn't even consider.

Form a resistance fighting unit against a fascistic corporation with near infinite resources and start bombing power plants where civilians work? Surely this won't have any negative consequences!