• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
English dub in FFXV was good. I think my main issue was the audio mix. Too loud compared to JPN voices for some reason. From what I remember. But it was fine.

I just wish Gladio's VA was able to talk in his natural voice instead of forcing an extra four layers of gravel and bass to sound 'strong'. It clearly got in the way of his ability to emote well. And similarly, Ignis' performance was technically fine but the extra layer of haughtiness felt unnecessary for the character as portrayed in-game. He got really good in his Episode, though. Damn.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the dub will end up serviceable at worst. I really doubt it will be that bad.
But the original Japanese is clearly the priority and probably the best way to play.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see Bugenhagen's Lifestream scene when they get there. Something about that scene got me when I first played the game so I can't wait.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it. I played the original back in the day and I barely recognize anything from this trailer. I loved that game for it's gameplay first, characters second, and graphics third. The remake seems like it has reversed the order of importance, at least to my sensibilities. I don't even know what this game is? It certainly appears to have only a passing resemblance to the game I adored all those years ago!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The Honey Bee Inn section is going to be so good. Aerith looks stunning, I love Cloud's reaction. I can't wait to see Cloud dressed up (and Tifa too). Mark Hamill (if it is) voicing Don Corneo is the cherry on top.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
That OC really is just Zell & Gladio after a fusion dance, pls delete.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
nah, i didnt see any legit criticism, they already said it ll be a diferent game, if u want original history go play the ps1 version, thats simple

I already loved that criticism because it's really dumb if one thinks about it. By that logic, the remake could be a kirby game and it would still be valid since the old one is still there.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
I'm just sitting over here as a professional actor and I'm listening to people shit on Noctis' voice acting in FFXV and I'm like "what".

I have issues with bits of XV's casting (mostly the fact that Gladio and Ignis' actors are both being forced to put on affectations that make them sound like cartoons when their normal voices would suit the characters they play perfectly), but Noctis is FANTASTIC. People really just want to shit on English voice acting whenever they can and it's so frustrating.

Hell yeah, his performance during the last campfire scene is amazing!

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I don't get it. I played the original back in the day and I barely recognize anything from this trailer. I loved that game for it's gameplay first, characters second, and graphics third. The remake seems like it has reversed the order of importance, at least to my sensibilities. I don't even know what this game is? It certainly appears to have only a passing resemblance to the game I adored all those years ago!
sry but i dont get it what u didnt recognized from the trailer ? the only thing new in it was the motorcycle soldier guy.

the aspects of the story that have been changed ( the "ghost" thing ) we ll only know when the game is released.

the trailer is basicaly a fan service to show the old characters and one new guy.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish Gladio's VA was able to talk in his natural voice instead of forcing an extra four layers of gravel and bass to sound 'strong'. It clearly got in the way of his ability to emote well. And similarly, Ignis' performance was technically fine but the extra layer of haughtiness felt unnecessary for the character as portrayed in-game. He got really good in his Episode, though. Damn.

Yea, My exact complaints. Gladio's voice was giving my bass a workout lol

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Now that we're talking about the dub, as a staunch defender of Xenoblade 2 let's all agree it will never be as bad as Xenoblade 2 due to its rushed localization and poor direction at least :P

I love some of the acting in XB2 but nothing in these trailers is as obnoxious as Rex's bad yells at least. :P
My assumption due having muted the user in question is the old "The PS1 version exists so you can go play that" and how absurd a defense of something calling itself a remake or remaster is due that always being the case. By saying "the original exists go play that" it creates no discussion of the material as the other poster stated "It could be a kirby game" because then people could just go "Don't like it go play the original."

It contributes little to the discussion and doesn't help with assessing the quality of the remake/remaster and how it honors its source material. Much like I can go "Harry Potter is a great film series but it is not a great adaptation" there's more nuance to the topic than "You have the books deal with it."

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
1. I hope this trailer doesn't confirm that Aerith will be the automatic choice, I want Cloud in Drag.

2. The overreactions to the VA has me convinced people will just auto-post "the English VA sucks lol" in ANY JRPG thread. Pathetic.

I do think Aerith sounds a bit young skewing, but it's too early to judge. I'm also weird in that I think Mandy Moore's voice was the perfect fit for the character.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that part of the best part of the Shinra President scene is that Shinra's hubris and domination is so great that they believe the Buster robot and everything is enough and Shinra isn't going to get his hands dirty. Makes him look like an even bigger bad ass which then makes his death more out of left field because he feared nothing prior, and didn't even recognize Cloud. >_> But again I have to just deal with these changes.

And the fact that he mentions they don't understand their role in this. Totally out of left field and makes no sense in terms of the original story. If they're going to make changes to the character and his motivations, that's fine, but it worries me.

I have a feeling they're going to tie this new SOLDIER character into Sephiroth and Cloud's story, far before we're suppose to learn about what ties them together like in the original story. Ugh. Which is why we're going to see a lot more Sephiroth early on like the trailer suggests.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
eAZKLOz.png

Nah, but maybe grunts take their helmets off and given personalities?
A nemesis/mercenary system would be an interesting addition.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like it if they didn't do the crossdressing thing because I doubt it would be in good taste, instead they could just make the character bisexual.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Now that we're talking about the dub, as a staunch defender of Xenoblade 2 let's all agree it will never be as bad as Xenoblade 2 due to its rushed localization and poor direction at least :P

I love some of the acting in XB2 but nothing in these trailers is as obnoxious as Rex's bad yells at least. :P

My assumption due having muted the user in question is the old "The PS1 version exists so you can go play that" and how absurd a defense of something calling itself a remake or remaster is due that always being the case. By saying "the original exists go play that" it creates no discussion of the material as the other poster stated "It could be a kirby game" because then people could just go "Don't like it go play the original."

It contributes little to the discussion and doesn't help with assessing the quality of the remake/remaster and how it honors its source material. Much like I can go "Harry Potter is a great film series but it is not a great adaptation" there's more nuance to the topic than "You have the books deal with it."

bingo

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
sry but i dont get it what u didnt recognized from the trailer ? the only thing new in it was the motorcycle soldier guy.

the aspects of the story that have been changed we ll only know when the game is released.

I guess the jump to 3D makes me lose any connection to the secondary characters? I'm watching the trailer going "Am I supposed to know who that is?", because other than the major players, I certainly don't recognize any of the people or situations the team is in! Like, I don't remember parachuting in FF7. Was there parachuting and I just forgot that part? There was a lot of that going through my head. It has been 20+ years so I acknowledge it may just be me!

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And the fact that he mentions they don't understand their role in this. Totally out of left field and makes no sense in terms of the original story. If they're going to make changes to the character and his motivations, that's fine, but it worries me.

I have a feeling they're going to tie this new SOLDIER character into Sephiroth and Cloud's story, far before we're suppose to learn about what ties them together like in the original story. Ugh. Which is why we're going to see a lot more Sephiroth early on like the trailer suggests.
Every perceived change basically worries me, but I feel like the SOLDIER character is there simply to give the group more presence while also quickly establishing the First Class as super strong maniacs.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I love everything they are adding and doing to the remake, but I really hate they way they present these trailers. Feels like something produced from 10 years ago.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

Adding more "politics" as in the painting of them as Wutai insurgents COULD be interesting, but I say that with a big asterisk as FF's storytelling capabilities in the HD era have been...not great.

"You don't understand your role in this" implies more focus on the characters than what was originally in the story. Shinra (up until dealing with Sephiroth) aren't anime villains (to an extent). They're a parody of capitalism unbound and crazy totalitarianism where everything is pretty much under their control. They'll literally drop a plate on a city if it means getting what they want. That's how little they care about Avalanche and Midgar's people. The whole town hall meeting in Shinra HQ does a perfect job of summing up their perspective of how they'll use stuff like this for their gain but beyond that they couldn't care less.

Then the Massacre at Shinra HQ happens which makes them shake in their boots a bit and realize they have to get their shit together and then Rufus gets a bit power hungry and they even team up with us at one point due to a greater evil (which of course in Disc 3 goes south again because "lol we're gonna kill you on tv because it will make everyone docile and chill for a bit").

I don't know quite how to explain it but the shift from a world scale problem to a personal problem is something anime and other media has had a problem with in the last decade and I can't figure out how to word it to make sense.

Where originally it was Shinra dealing with Avalanche as just a thorn in their side, not it's The Shinra President and his Head of Military Versus Cloud Strife Tifa Lockheart and Barrett Wallace.

The shift in perspective and shift of focus sends a ripple effect throughout the actions being taken by the characters and how they all link to each other.

A nemesis/mercenary system would be an interesting addition.
ORGANIZATION SOLDIER XIII. It's going to happen. :P

That's what I figured.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
What's your strategy for learning Japanese, if I might ask? Can you recommend any particular online course or app?

Yes my friend. Resetera actually gave me the best advice, so Im happy to return the favor. Offical thread here: Resetera Link

My summary is:
  • Hiragana and Katakana. Estimated effort in time: 2-3 weeks for me. Here: https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/learn-hiragana/
  • Kanji. Estimated effort in time: 2 years with my current approach. here: https://www.wanikani.com/
  • Grammar: Estimated effort: It depend, I'm focusing on vocabulary and kanji at the moment. I would say 1-2 years. I am using Human Japanese (a paid app) and Tae Kim (a free site-app): http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/
  • Extra: I try to experience all media with japanese audio (games, netflix shows, anime, etc) to try and map my vocabulary under multiple scenarios.
After a couple of months you will start getting some of the meanings in conversations, and it will feel amazing. With discipline and a structured approach, it can be done!

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I already loved that criticism because it's really dumb if one thinks about it. By that logic, the remake could be a kirby game and it would still be valid since the old one is still there.
I feel like the only time "just play the original" is valid as an argument is when the other side goes sincerely full ham like "it desecrates the sanctity of the game and ruins my life!"