• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
The thing that surprised me the most was the inclusion of another SOLDIER. Makes so much sense to have an active one appear and helps to flesh out what Cloud is supposed to be portraying.
Yeah, stuff like this is where I see the remake really having potential to add more substance to the story. It's gonna be a good narrative element to connect Cloud and Zack too. While others are freaking out about this addition, he looks on point and it makes total sense for him to be there. There's gotta be more to make this a fleshed out game and I'm all for additions like this.

Also, one of the best shots in this whole trailer is Aerith shimmying with Cloud. Small shit like that gies me so much life.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Rufus better look amazing. Him, Palmer,Reeve,Hojo, and Scarlett are the only big wigs left to show.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Ifrit's a freaking beast in this.

96bqVpt.gif

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah that's exactly how I remember it all.
Jokes aside, the re orchestration of Still More Fighting is nice.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I have to accept at this point that the story is complete bullshit and the extended content is going to be stupid and just enjoy it as a popcorn flick.

We now have "Demyx SOLDIER OC Do not steal The Hedgehog," Every turk just calling Aerith by her name ruining the subtlety of them having watched over her forever (the only person who really should be calling her by her name is Tseng), holograms and stuff, Teleporting Turks (why do you need SOLDIERS who were essentially just buffed up humans if you can make your FBI agents teleport???), spooky ghooOOOoooooOOOOsts, and who knows what else.

I wish I could look at the "pretty graphics" and explosions and waifus and be like "omg I'm so excited" but all I see is what was a somewhat grounded story being turned into a Michael Bay Explosion fest and changing most of the stakes and characters (like Jessie who is now embarassingly just the "chipper Waifu fated to die before the other chipper waifu who also dies)

I'm sure it's going to be fun as hell for people. And I'm sure anyone who just wants "more FF7" and the typical people who say "play the original" will chime in and opinions like mine won't matter, but it really sucks seeing a remake finally come and all it does is double down on the aspects of the series I had zero care for. Just sucks to see Hologram Heideggar and such. It just changes a lot of context. And then them trying to talk about Wutai and stuff it's like "Are you really going to try and force in a subplot that explains Wutai and try to give one of the most useless subplots in the game main spotlight?"

It just feels like it always did for me. Fanfiction/Padding for the sake of milking the fanbase for every penny.

FFVII's story isn't that grounded. It's pretty fucking absurd. It's always been an anime popcorn flick. This is just maybe adding slightly more to that.

That said, it's still entertaining.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
More than anything else, I can't wait to see what the Rufus/Dark Nation fight on top of Shinra HQ will look like. The spectacle of it will just melt my brain.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok didn't remember

How'd you feel about the summons shown?

Ifrit and Shiva look good. Nice redesigns. I mentioned before but I really hope that the summons ARE NOT controllable. Just let them come in, do their thing and split. I really don't want the summons to be limited by being able to fit into level geometry.

More than anything else, I can't wait to see what the Rufus/Dark Nation fight on top of Shinra HQ will look like. The spectacle of it will just melt my brain.

I really don't expect there to be a lot of spectacle to that. It's just Rufus fucking around and Cloud trying to distract him while the others get away, there's no human drama between them at that point.

It should, very deliberately, be kind of a low-key fight between a normal guy with a gun and a dude with a sword, not some massive over-the-top Kingdom Hearts anime spectacle.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Japanese voice over with subtitles it is then. Gawd the English voice acting is like drinking acid straight.

I remember getting a PS1 and playing FF7 on release/day one way back when and loving it. I'm not really feeling the nostalgia here, but I am interested in where they take what we can see as a re-imagining of FF7.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
This extra SOLDIER works. I always found it weird how you barely ran into them given how prominent to ShinRA the OG version made it seem. Crisis Core rectified that and Im glad to see that agenda is continued.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think Summons will probably just attack on their own as a special attack like before, tbh. Maybe they have a cooldown if they're temp party members.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
FFVII's story isn't that grounded. It's pretty fucking absurd. It's always been an anime popcorn flick. This is just maybe adding slightly more to that.

More people are focusing on me using the word Grounded than my intended meaning and part of that is on me for not going back and editing the original post. I mean it's got rules and it's grounded in its universe. There is "realism" but then magic and science have a set amount of rules they have to play by for the most part of how everyone interacts with the world.

That being said if you're boiling down FF7 to an "anime popcorn flick" I don't know what else to add to that discussion because FF7 definitely had more going on in its writing than that.

I really don't expect there to be a lot of spectacle to that. It's just Rufus fucking around and Cloud trying to distract him while the others get away, there's no human drama between them at that point.

It should, very deliberately, be kind of a low-key fight between a normal guy with a gun and a dude with a sword, not some massive over-the-top Kingdom Hearts anime spectacle.
I'm going to quote this post when they go full KH with it at the end like they've done with the Reno fight when the game comes out :P

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
The shot seems like it'll function like vanilla XII. Summon joins as an uncontrollable party member for a duration, then does a finisher. There's a meter/bar of some kind in the first shot, then it's gone during the finisher (hellfire maybe?)
I doubt you can control them directly. I'm all for them just coming in doing their thing and disappear like PlanetSmasher mentioned.

Yeah, seems that way.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse

Well, it was a bunch of fantastical situations and characters, but the problems they faced were very real. That's what, more than anything, I believe has made this game the most popular in the series and hold up better in terms of characters and story.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it was a bunch of fantastical situations and characters, but the problems they faced were very real. That's what, more than anything, I believe has made this game the most popular in the series and hold up better in terms of characters and story.

Nah, the reason it's the most popular is that it's the one that is most nostalgic for the largest number of people. The environmentalism theme is a nice addition but more than anything else it simply existed at the absolutely perfect time with the absolutely perfect graphical jump over its predecessor to blow the entire genre up, just like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time did.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The fireworks/confetti going off around Aerith in the red dress scene make me think there's some kind of festival or something going on in or around Wall Market. Could be a cool edition.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the reason it's the most popular is that it's the one that is most nostalgic for the largest number of people. The environmentalism theme is a nice addition but more than anything else it simply existed at the absolutely perfect time with the absolutely perfect graphical jump over its predecessor to blow the entire genre up, just like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time did.

Yep along with how much marketing this had compare to other FF game in past .
This was truly the first big JRPG for many people .