• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Controllable summons is the worst gimmick ever, eww.

lol I actually remember this enemy, seems they went with the Mobius card art.

2viM6H5.png
I don't remember ever running into him from all my playthroughs lol.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
lol I actually remember this enemy, seems they went with the Mobius card art.

2viM6H5.png
In the original, I think this is the enemy you can steal a weapon off of for Aerith early in the game. Hopefully some kind of steal mechanic is still in, even cooler if the items you can steal fit the enemy, like the pole in the character art.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
Nah, the reason it's the most popular is that it's the one that is most nostalgic for the largest number of people. The environmentalism theme is a nice addition but more than anything else it simply existed at the absolutely perfect time with the absolutely perfect graphical jump over its predecessor to blow the entire genre up, just like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time did.

Maybe...I just know why I still love it. Guess everyone's got their own reasons though.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Can't wait for there to be people who are like "The President of the world isn't personally coming to insult me? Tone ruined." and in the same breath say "Wacky Soldier? They are supposed to be generic grunts I run through! Tone ruined."

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Nah, the reason it's the most popular is that it's the one that is most nostalgic for the largest number of people. The environmentalism theme is a nice addition but more than anything else it simply existed at the absolutely perfect time with the absolutely perfect graphical jump over its predecessor to blow the entire genre up, just like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time did.
I sure hope this isn't to infer that FF7's scale of world and character writing "isn't that good" as some gotcha to fans of the game that I agree with are some of the loudest and biggest majority when it comes to FF fans.

FF6 was great but up until 7 that kind of scale and world was practically unheard of, and there are several of its themes and character writing moments that still hold up and surpass most post ps1 RPGs.
Maybe...I just know why I still love it. Guess everyone's got their own reasons though.
I mean I'll totally admit it released at a time when everyone in our generation's "first FF" was 7, but you'll see that in a few years with FFXV probably as well, despite its very numerous flaws.
Can't wait for there to be people who are like "The President of the world isn't personally coming to insult me? Tone ruined." and in the same breath say "Wacky Soldier? They are supposed to be generic grunts I run through! Tone ruined."
I have to remember I'm on the internet and takes like this are ones people can unironically type while ignoring all nuance and context to the subject. I'll just have to avoid FF7 threads until I play it, looks like.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This trailer was great and I'm pretty excited to play it. As much as I love the original, this is it's own beast and I appreciate what they're doing with it.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
It's all from Midgar, which is only the first section of Disk 1. In the original, it takes maybe 5-6 hours, less if you know what you're doing. They've expanded it to a full game on its own. Looks like they're adding in a lot of story content.

yeah, and understandably they did originally say it's an "impossible" remaster. But i guess doing ~4 games that are 60$ each makes it possible :D

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope this isn't to infer that FF7's scale of world and character writing "isn't that good" as some gotcha to fans of the game that I agree with are some of the loudest and biggest majority when it comes to FF fans.

FF6 was great but up until 7 that kind of scale and world was practically unheard of, and there are several of its themes and character writing moments that still hold up and surpass most post ps1 RPGs.

It's more just making the very real point that like SM64 and Ocarina of Time, which were landmarks in gaming history and deservedly so, VII's QUALITY is artificially inflated by its IMPORTANCE.

It was not a bad game, but as far as RPGs go it was notable primarily for being THE JRPG for a ton of first-time players. It's kind of like Star Wars is for people who watched it as little kids and had their entire taste in fiction defined by it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's more just making the very real point that like SM64 and Ocarina of Time, which were landmarks in gaming history and deservedly so, VII's QUALITY is artificially inflated by its IMPORTANCE.

It was not a bad game, but as far as RPGs go it was notable primarily for being THE JRPG for a ton of first-time players. It's kind of like Star Wars is for people who watched it as little kids and had their entire taste in fiction defined by it.
I can see where you're going with that I guess. The notoriety of a game versus its actual quality. Just was hoping we weren't getting into hot revisionist takes where we go "FF7's writing wasn't even good" when the flagship title of today required outside media to make sense.

I was just like "Environmentalism is not the first thing I think of when I praise FF7's writing and characters" so I was confused as to where you were going. I think I get it now.
Believe me when I say I can tell Troy's Joker voice apart from Mark's Joker voice.

I love that the final shot in this trailer is also our first hint of the world outside of Midgar with how open it is and how vast the sky feels now that they're not under a plate anymore. The plate falling didn't really feel like anything in the original, and now they're really making it feel like a moment.
It could possibly be that. But due to it being just Barrett and Tifa the Aerith rescue is far more likely while climbing the plate to Shinra HQ. But like with movie trailers things can be removed/edited back in.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I love that the final shot in this trailer is also our first hint of the world outside of Midgar with how open it is and how vast the sky feels now that they're not under a plate anymore. The plate falling didn't really feel like anything in the original, and now they're really making it feel like a moment.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can see where you're going with that I guess. The notoriety of a game versus its actual quality. Just was hoping we weren't getting into hot revisionist takes where we go "FF7's writing wasn't even good" when the flagship title of today required outside media to make sense.

I was just like "Environmentalism is not the first thing I think of when I praise FF7's writing and characters" so I was confused as to where you were going. I think I get it now.

Yeah, don't worry. I'm not shitting on the original game. Just that I don't really see it as being a landmark in JRPG storytelling as much as a completely deserved landmark in JRPG PRESENTATION.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Kitase is a big Star Wars fan, so maybe he pushed for Luke Skywalker to be a voice in the English version? :D

My guess is it's Baker... or someone completely unexpected

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

I can agree with this 97%. The small part I would argue is FF7's story holds up pretty well today and is more unique than not in the RPG landscape. I think many RPG's have gotten very trope-filled and have not given its villains proper character or make them who just interesting and complex like Sephiroth or flawed but relatable protagonist like cloud

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, don't worry. I'm not shitting on the original game. Just that I don't really see it as being a landmark in JRPG storytelling as much as a completely deserved landmark in JRPG PRESENTATION.
Haha I suppose that's where we differ. While I love a lot of other games in the series for different reasons, and 7 fell further down my list of faves as time went on, I still feel that FF7's storytelling is up there for a lot of reasons, but that's a whole different conversation for a different time haha.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
It could possibly be that. But due to it being just Barrett and Tifa the Aerith rescue is far more likely while climbing the plate to Shinra HQ. But like with movie trailers things can be removed/edited back in.
Well, Aerith gets taken away during that whole battle where the plate falls right? Then both are true.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
27 pages and I'm just gonna assume it's all about Aerith's big ass feet.

fQekGe5.jpg

Ain't no shame, sometimes you just got to bring these things into the table. Just to spare anyone else's shame into talking about it. Don't look at me like that.

Game looks pretty good tho.
I'm mostly geeking out over the geometry detail of the paving stones and all the plantain weeds they bothered to model. Some dude had to create these details knowing everyone would be staring at Aeris' feet instead =P

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Aerith's English voice actress being so hyped any time she shows up is so pure

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Well, Aerith gets taken away during that whole battle where the plate falls right? Then both are true.
I think I read it as being the shot before they go out into the world and that's just because I read it wrong. I think some people were thinking it was like the end of Fellowship of the Ring moment and then your post made my brain go back to that and confuse the two.

Is this the complete game or the first episode?
This question is the reason the marketing and stuff around this game is so silly to me. The Parts stuff and everything is still not advertised to the average consumer and I don't know how well that will play having people think they're getting a full game only to find it's a first part. It'll be interesting as most people in the gaming spheres know what FF7 is, but parents and the like may be confused.

Last edited:

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I think I read it as being the shot before they go out into the world and that's just because I read it wrong. I think some people were thinking it was like the end of Fellowship of the Ring moment and then your post made my brain go back to that and confuse the two.
Yeah, it's definitely not the iconic highway shot that people were confusing it for. That's the actual Fellowship moment, or the closest thing FFVII has to it.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Is this the complete game or the first episode?
Both, kind of.

The idea is that its a full length, complete game in its own right, but it only covers the Midgar portion of the full Final Fantasy VII storyline, albeit a very heavily expanded take on that story.

Think Star Wars. Each "Episode" should be a full length game, in the same way that Star Wars episodes are full length movies.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
27 pages and I'm just gonna assume it's all about Aerith's big ass feet.

fQekGe5.jpg

Ain't no shame, sometimes you just got to bring these things into the table. Just to spare anyone else's shame into talking about it. Don't look at me like that.

Game looks pretty good tho.
Least she has the right number of toes.

Plus you know what they say about people with big feet...

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Aerith's English voice actress being so hyped any time she shows up is so pure

I'm not sure if her rather muted response is because that's her personality, or because she has no basis to form a reaction since she never played the original.

Still, to be part of this project must feel like something truly special!