• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
22ddb837003095ba2a3104035677b182da7bfb69.jpg

yaaaaaaaaaas

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
that wasn't the case for FFXII though. They are going for a very theatrical style for that which is pretty uncommon in games.

The funny thing is that I kinda hate XII's voice acting. Almost everybody sounds like they recorded their lines in a shower stall while talking through gauze. I can't even understand Fran's lines without subtitles.

Balthier and Basch are fine though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
It's one thing for us older gamers to be bowled over, but can you imagine how hype this game looks to teenagers who never played FF games before? There's going to be a bunch of new fans claiming this is the best game ever.

hate to be Debby Downer but to most younger folk this will probably be just another game. albeit a good one and it'll sell and bring in new fans and all that but 16 year olds in 2020 won't be blown away as they were with the original in 1997.... or they might, who knows. but late 20s and 30 somethings are the bread and butter here

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man the english VO is some bad anime stuff.

that flipping motorcycle is lol.

They do manage to make the first part of the game look pretty damn epic.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm no FFVII die hard fan, it's not even on my top 5 best FF, but that was amazing. It saddens me knowing FFIX will never get a similar treatment.

Mar 11, 2019
Looking very good, I was not really excited for this since I dont see the point in playing it if it follows the same story as the original (as if you have been spoiled the entire game), but not recognising half the characters in the trailer and having played it so long ago might get me interested if there is sufficient content to the game for what FF is familiar for, and dividing it into parts not hurting that.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people talking about the chip damage when all we've seen so far are starting weapons and characters with levels clearly away from starting level stats?

I'm not too concerned with how little damage is being done to enemies.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
hate to be Debby Downer but to most younger folk this will probably be just another game. albeit a good one and it'll sell and bring in new fans and all that but 16 year olds in 2020 won't be blown away as they were with the original in 1997.... or they might, who knows. but late 20s and 30 somethings are the bread and butter here

I disagree. If they mainly targeted the old audience they'd just remake the graphics. They expect this to sell the same as the original and you wont get nowhere close to those numbers from the ones who were kids playing the first one, most have families and dont have time to play 50 hour jrpgs anymore. The bread and butter is definitely the new generation.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
This trailer is beautiful, Square still the king of hype!!!

One questions guys, Carbuncle DLC vanished in the pre-order part of the video?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The presentation is great but good god is that voice acting horrible. How does this still happen in 2019?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Damn, this looks incredible. And also confirms it's more than just leaving Midgar.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. If they mainly targeted the old audience they'd just remake the graphics. They expect this to sell the same as the original and you wont get nowhere close to those numbers from the ones who were kids playing the first one, most have families and dont have time to play 50 hour jrpgs anymore. The bread and butter is definitely the new generation.

they're aiming for a new generation and they'll (IMO) succeed. but overall success will be frontloaded on anybody who's played it before, dunno what specific age range that would land at but i'd think that demo would carry it, like how Kingdom Hearts 3 has all your daughter's favorite characters but chances are she'll put it down in 5 minutes while some 32 year old dude will plat it 5 times

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely sounds more anime than FFXII, FFT:TWOTL, and FFXIV
For me, FFXII nd FFXV has the best English voice direction. Funny that the games Nomura and Kitase had bigger roles in (mainly Kitase, as I don't want to blame Nomura more) are the ones that sound the most wannabe-anime to me(FFX, FFXIII, FFVIIR). And I mean English dub studio anime. I wonder of Kitase has say in VO direction, and if that's the reason why those three games (and the sequels/spinoffs) have such anime-y VOs.

FFXII was fine and didn't come off too anime-y. Sounded more theatric (as others noted), and FFXV felt more serious and mellow in tempo compared to most anime VOs. And many of the VOs from those two games ARE anime VOs, but with the right direction, you can take away the generic anime-feel and get something, dare I say, BETTER. I think FF should strive for that "better" quality. Again, I'm not blaming the voice actors, but the overall direction.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Is that the destroyed reactor at Gongaga at the end?
Oh wait...it's probably Midgar and the plate. Nvm

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
All of what they've shown is from the Midgar portion of the game. It's been confirmed that we're only getting Midgar for the first part of the remake, albeit a significantly expanded version of it.
Oh, I guess you're right. For some reason I thought the squat stuff was later.