• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
So...they're going to change the title right?

Isn't it misleading to the public to continue to call this just FF7R? Not everyone is going to know that it's episodic and not the whole game...

A few people were still confused about it in this thread.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

Isn't it misleading to the public to continue to call this just FF7R? Not everyone is going to know that it's episodic and not the whole game...

Nope, they stated a while back they went with the title on purpose. I don't think it's the worst thing ever; people go into first parts of movies with no idea there's a planned sequel, for instance.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

No need to add Part 1 to the title if there isn't a Part 2

May 26, 2018
Yeah,
Sephiroth will just appear in Midgar after the bike chase, kill Aerith out of nowhere, and immediately get omnislashed by Cloud gg ez

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Dude looks more like slightly dark skinned japanese guy than a black guy.
Rude isn't black.

He's supposed to be Latino or what is thought of as Latino in that world.
wow, they took a Japanese guy and made him...Japanese
I wasn't suggesting Rude was black, I was suggesting he was whitewashed. Nomura originally designed him to look "South American." He's noticeably paler than in the original game.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I hate, HATE not having a turn based option, but the combat doesn't look so bad I guess as long as the AI is good and knows to block and stuff like that when you aren't controlling that character, just the idea of having to constantly be moving and switching and fiddling is so unappealing to me.

I hate turn-based combat for the most part especially the traditional FF way so I'm cool with this change.

I want FF to transition more towards KH gameplay.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
tumblr_pxoh8g8ABg1t4sprho1_500.gif

Allusions to another scene later on :hurr

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Nope, they stated a while back they went with the title on purpose. I don't think it's the worst thing ever; people go into first parts of movies with no idea there's a planned sequel, for instance.
Except FF7 was a finished game 22 years ago, it probably should be called Part 1. It really is probably gonna get some backlash, most people don't know it's just Midgar.
The remake looks great so far, but this is one area thats gonna be a blemish on it post launch.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Looks mostly good, although at this point we've seen basically everything except Shinra HQ and whatever new content there is.

Also the Turks look like children. I get that pretty boy is the aesthetic they're going for - especially Reno - but they're not even slightly intimidating. Also agree that Rude should be more tanned.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa and Aerith look great. Everyone does. Can't wait to see Tifa and Cloud in their dresses too. It may be a fake out, but it looks like Tifa is now involved in the Cloud dress now too? Maybe they changed it up? Eh don;t think so. From the background it may be after Corneo with them teasing him

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Absolutely amazing. It reaaaally feels like we're diving deeper into Midgar.

Do we? Have they confirmed if it's gonna be included or not??? Was eager to see it soon as Don Corneo showed up, but then the trailer didn't show Mistress Cloud. :/
Nomura confirmed it's in. And now we've seen Don Corneo and Aerith in her gorgeous dress. It's gonna be in there alright!

Jun 23, 2019
I really hope they don't.
I like action-based combat, but Kingdom Hearts is way too button-mashy.

Lol If you are playing a lower difficulty maybe. Try just button mashing on Critical Mode and see how far it gets you. Also, remember all those years ago when we joked about FF7R being made of SE ever got in trouble? This game is going to sell like hotcakes.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Excuse my ignorance, but have they settled on how many different releases they want to have for the different sections?
Eg, have they stated it will follow the literal disc changes from the OG?
Or is it completely unknown where each episode release will start and end?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse my ignorance, but have they settled on how many different releases they want to have for the different sections?
Eg, have they stated it will follow the literal disc changes from the OG?
Or is it completely unknown where each episode release will start and end?
SE has said they don't even know how many games the remake will be. They aren't following the the original discs, because that wouldn't really work. Remake part 1 is just Midgar, albeit expanded. That was only a portion of disc 1 of the original, disc 1 was over half the game and had basically the entire game world available. And disc 3 was basically just the final dungeon, and wouldn't have really supported a whole game the same way Midgar does.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Looks mostly good, although at this point we've seen basically everything except Shinra HQ and whatever new content there is.

Also the Turks look like children. I get that pretty boy is the aesthetic they're going for - especially Reno - but they're not even slightly intimidating. Also agree that Rude should be more tanned.
We've seen Shinra HQ...

CmVqgfA.jpg

WLC255L.jpg

ZQaBfed.jpg

I feel like adding more bike stuff and parachuting earlier in the game will lessen the impacts of the moments from the original version.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Gotta be honest, I hated animal Ifrit (FFVIII, FFIX, FFX). I'm a classic FF fan, so I love me my humanoid demon Ifrit, and from the looks of it, FFVIIR's Ifrit is a considerable change from the Crisis Core redesign, which has me happy (not a fan of the FFVII Compilation). For one, it looks like FFVIIR's Ifrit has old school Ifrit's purple hair. Second, he has human-like feet as opposed to Crisis Core's Ifrit's hooves:
XIVCEiM.png
9b34f2fa227867be703b5e3b3787a0b3.jpg

Also, just noiticing right now, FFVIIR's Ifrit's horns extend up and back vertically (like original) rather than out to the side and back horizontally (like Crisis Core's Ifrit). Basically, they are extended out, hovering over his head's side more than extending out and hovering down over his back like a lot of past Ifrits.

19dyfqgf9e32zjpg.jpg

If you look, FFVIIR's Ifrit also has the spine ridges coming through his back like above.
It's funny, because I also prefer the demonic takes on him, but my favourite instance of him is VIII's. Although I'm a sucker for the aesthetics, vibes and designs in VIII above most FFs, so there's that. I also thought the twist of him in XV was great, and such an amazing design while still retaining a hellish form (despite him essentially being a very tall human).

But yeah, that Amano's original design is :chefkiss: Still waiting on that mainline FF aping his style with a painted-like look tbh. And, honestly, as early as it is (the video quality isn't the best and we barely see him anyways), I think VII-R Ifrit could be my favourite one, or close enough. So menacing.

On a semi-related note: having mentioned VIII, I hope they manage to include Diablos at some point. We need some of that gravity magic.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have 100% absolutely fookin nailed the look, everything just looks incredibly spot on and brilliant.

Playing this when I was younger the anime shit went over my head, but now ...... with the voice acting, i'm going to have to bite my tongue. No way in hell i'm missing this.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Only complaint I have is Tifa's face. It looks unfinished (I guess) in comparison to all the other models and looks weird.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
But for that, they need to have a beginning, middle and end as well for a satisfying stand-alone experience. Unless they change a lot of the story element, the original story covering Midgar only is far too short to have any sort of depth for a complete story. So you just end up with a cliffhanger that blatantly sets up for a sequel. Movies are different because they're short enough that you don't get so invested in the time on the medium, but for a game you want a conclusion at the end, not to be hit with a 'to be continued...' when the game cover doesn't even hint at there being more games to follow.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a Final Fantasy player but this looked really good.

As an action-adventure player the new combat mechanics might just sway me.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Only complaint I have is Tifa's face. It looks unfinished (I guess) in comparison to all the other models and looks weird.
My only complaint is Tifa's body. She looks like a stickfigure with boobs. Like, her head doesn't fit her body at all what the hell? The proportions are off. It's crazy because Jesse and aerith look fine.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SE has said they don't even know how many games the remake will be. They aren't following the the original discs, because that wouldn't really work. Remake part 1 is just Midgar, albeit expanded. That was only a portion of disc 1 of the original, disc 1 was over half the game and had basically the entire game world available. And disc 3 was basically just the final dungeon, and wouldn't have really supported a whole game the same way Midgar does.
I see. Thanks. Last played it years ago, couldn't remember how the disc / game structure was distributed.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, technically it's "the whole game". It's just that the whole game is not the entire OG FFVII scenario. But content-wise this is supposedly as content-packed as any singular mainline FF, so I doubt most people will have a problem if they get, like, a 25-30+ hour experience that gives them what these trailers promise them, even if there is a to be continued.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

They're probably going to title later games as FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE: [Subtitle]. They might be avoiding numbers to prevent the potential issue that players are turned off that the game is in parts if they hop in at "Part 2". Square-Enix probably saw backlash with HITMAN, where people confused the "First Season" with the idea it was an unfinished game when in fact it was an attempt to convey that the game was the first in a planned trilogy of titles. Similarly, people likely skipped HITMAN 2 because it had the number "2" in the title: after all, if they didn't play the previous, they would be missing out in regards to the overall plot, and even content. I don't think Square wants a repeat of that what's probably their most expensive and ambitious project in company history.

I'm far more interested
(worried, actually)
in regards to how, if at all, will content carry over between installments. I'm gonna be pissed if they have to make up a stupid reason to reset the player on multiple occasions. The game can be in three 60 hour parts, but I expect what I unlock and customize to be carried over. For example, what's the point of a Cactuar materia as a pre-order bonus if it's really only usable in just one game?

Apr 19, 2018
Wait. The soundtrack releases over a month before the game itself?

Looks to be more of a sampler soundtrack: eight tracks from the Remake, 12 tracks from the 1997 OST. Here's a translation of the included tracks:

Disc 1 A Side (Remake)
01 Prelude
02 Tifa's Theme
03 Those Who Fight
04 Flowers Blooming in the Church

Disc 2 B Side (Remake)
01 Turks' Theme
02 Hurry!
03 Guard Scorpion
04 Main Theme of FFVII

Disc 3 C Side (1997 Original Soundtrack)
01 Prelude
02 Opening ~ Bombing Mission
03 Tifa's Theme
04 Shin-Ra Company
05 Those Who Fight
06 Turks' Theme

Disc 4 D Side (1997 Original Soundtrack)
01 Flowers Blooming in the Church
02 Who.... Are You?
03 Those Who Fight Further
04 Fanfare
05 Crazy Motorcycle
06 Main Theme of FFVII

Last edited:

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The funny thing to me about people complaining about the English dub in this trailer is that the Japanese version doesn't really sound any better.

I think the way SE does their trailers does a poor service to the voice acting in both versions.