• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm more optimistic because I always felt that the Midgar portion of the game has too much exposition and too little "showing", so some fleshing out on that was always what I hoped for "if they're ever doing a remake".

On the other hand, this is mostly the same people who did the world building and character interactions of Kingdom Hearts, and that also fills me with a lot of apprehension.

If it weren't for the compilation, KH, and FFXV I'd have optimism left. But they took all that already and now I just have skepticism.

As my gf told me, "it may be best to just turn your brain off and just enjoy the spectacle because it looks pretty" and that's just what I'm going to have to do. At least combat looks better at least.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you are in the know, this is all just an opinion. I don't think we know enough to say for one way or another. It could in theory be a 15 to 20 hour game with cutscenes. This is still a pretty good length. For all we know the other parts are all going to be addons to this game considering the name is just Remake without any clear indication this is game 1 of several games.

This would go against what Kitase said:

"It will essentially be a full-scale game for each part of the multi-part series. So if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

The shortest of the XIII trilogy was mid 30 hour range.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is the best looking UE4 game...In fact it holds up to any game visually this gen, and I think when you add in the spectacle...

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Chocobo is, the others aren't.
Chocobo/Mog is different than Chocobo Chick. Though, not a fan of that particular design. Looks like FF's take on Tweety Bird.

eWWk1Sv.png

CnMOchL.png
This is what I like to see in remakes. Careful dedication to preserving the "look" of areas in the original game. It's not like the car was fully redesigned, they keep the general gist the same. Wooden floors, green seats. Only difference I see is grating line on the center of the car's floor. Everything else is pretty much a re-scaled, HD version of the original. Just wondering who's gonna be the guy that Barret hassles.

That is a lotta detail going on

LmREaKU.png
He's got a new buckle at his waist with a sorta feather/wing design on it. It actually looks inspired by his Dissidia look (not exactly, but Dissidia Sephiroth has a similar buckle at his waist, while original Sephiroth had nothing there), which was inspired by Amano's art of Sephiroth (though Amano's had the buckle behind and Nomura just shifted it to Sephiroth's front).

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they surprise us and have it end in Kalm, with the flashback scene, it is still kinda Midgar (region). We have a big metropolis and a glimpse of the open wider world.

Otherwise an extended Rufus fight with a chase on the highway a la Metal Gear Solid. And replace the motorball boss for a Rufus and the Turks fight.

Oct 30, 2017
Thinking about it, I think I'd prefer it if they're doing it the addon-way, FFXIV-style.

I think I would too. Hopefully still done in 3 parts, but you just pay and download the add on. But then you think they'd market a season pass or something, so probably not going to happen.

"It will essentially be a full-scale game for each part of the multi-part series. So if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

I think they will be full games, I'm just not expecting Midgar to be 30 to 50 hours of gameplay. There's plenty of good games that are 8 to 15 hours. Adding in RPG elements will probably extend it a bit.

Also, I know he said that, but this is game development, they say that but then they do something else years later. But yeah, I would assume it's going to be a trilogy. Can't imagine it being 4 or 5 games. And at this point there's no way it's going to be 2 games. All I was saying to that person is that we know nothing and we can't be making claims like that. It's all just opinions and theories at this point. We will see.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Is anyone else getting increasingly nervous about how big this game is going to be? Like im legit concerned it might just be the first bombing raid, like a Ground Zeroes deal

Instead of thinking about the marketing in the context of FF7, think of it in terms of FF7R. If the game is only taking place in Midgar, the Shinra assault will likely literally be the climax of this game. Why would they "spoil" that in these trailers? Most game trailers don't show you much more that the first parts of the game anyway.

If you think of FF7R in context of a full game by itself like Square Enix has been saying, the stuff they've shown being all from the beginning of the game makes sense. They're also hopefully not going to ruin any surprises for long time fans in trailers, either.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They've mentioned that they plan to expand Midgar, and we already see a number of sequences in the trailer that weren't in the original game.

This isn't going 1/10 of the whole package. They're upgrading Midgar from the prologue to full first act. That's what I think, anyway.

I'm aware about that, but by expanding Midgar for a whole game sounds incredibly short sighted. They have a lot to cover after that.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware about that, but by expanding Midgar for a whole game sounds incredibly short sighted. They have a lot to cover after that.

There is a lot to cover, but they can make Midgar mean more. Right now it's seen as little more than tutorial with set up story. It should be more than that with what happens right before you leave

snake2531

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else find it interesting that the E3 trailer opens with the world map music but the entirety of the game is supposed to be set within Midgar? Considering it's a new arrangement of the piece, I wonder if the game goes just a little further than we expect. Maybe as a tease for part 2.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've rewatched the whole presentation with like 4 different gaming channels/streamers already. Seeing everyone's hype for this is just the BEST THING.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been discussed, but we haven't seen anything regarding the way the party will be displayed on the overworld/environments, right? For example, in Final Fantasy XV, Noctis is the main character and his 3 bros follow him around on the maps, and they all engage enemies in real time.

In the FFVII Remake trailers we have only seen Cloud running around. Perhaps it will be like in the original game where the other characters just appear on the field during combat?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I only just recently noticed that Cloud has Hardedge during the Air Buster fight. Nice to see there's gonna be different weapons!

I gotta say, I don't rank FF7 in my top 5 favorite FF games, but when he said "let's mosey", it legit gave me goosebumps. xD
From the opening bit with the load screen to the whole combat presentation, they really seemed to know exactly what to say and do to instantly get people on board.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else find it interesting that the E3 trailer opens with the world map music but the entirety of the game is supposed to be set within Midgar? Considering it's a new arrangement of the piece, I wonder if the game goes just a little further than we expect. Maybe as a tease for part 2.

To be fair, the world map music is also Cloud's Theme.

It plays during the super important story section near the end where:
Cloud restores his memory in the lifestream. Particularly when Cloud kills Sephiroth. Granted, if you hadn't played the PS1 version you wouldn't know because the awful music bug fucked up the music in this amazing scene for every re release between then and now.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
In the FFVII Remake trailers we have only seen Cloud running around. Perhaps it will be like in the original game where the other characters just appear on the field during combat?

I'd lean more towards that they haven't finished programming followers yet. It would be disappointing if we didn't have mid-walk conversations between active characters.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved Crisis Core back in the day, and got all up to the final boss before deleting my save game (such a stupid decision!). I've never gotten more than a few hours into the original FFVII, but were Zack ever in the original? I really got "attached" to him after Crisis Core as a young guy.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
I absolutely loved Crisis Core back in the day, and got all up to the final boss before deleting my save game (such a stupid decision!). I've never gotten more than a few hours into the original FFVII, but were Zack ever in the original? I really got "attached" to him after Crisis Core as a young guy.

He's in a bunch of flashbacks.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I regret feeling any doubt about this. It looks like everything I could ever want in an actual remake. 2020 is already overwhelming!

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about it, I think I'd prefer it if they're doing it the addon-way, FFXIV-style.

That sounds like a pipe dream to me unfortunately. I think Square knows how much hype they can milk of this and will end up making the whole game a trilogy and each game full price.

So part 2 might be out in 2022 and part 3 in 2024 or something like that. But of course each game will have a lot of extra stuff compared to the original and be a full experience of at least 20 hours or something similar.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
Cloud's entire growth from acting like a detached mercenary to being assertive happens within Midgar.
Barret's also went from keeping Cloud at arms length to giving leadership during Midgar.
The plot moves from "bombing reactor" to "surviving Shinra" to "saving Aerith" to "chasing Sephiroth". That's more plot development than what there is between Kalm to Nibelheim.

You litteraly just listed all the plot points that we get in Midgar and none of those can be developed further without ruining the pace or changing the game altogether.

Going after Sephiroth is not something that can be developed along a 40 hour game set only in Midgar because the reason for wanting to chase Sephiroth cannot be more detailed without going to Kalm or exposing plenty of the plot.

Barret just aligns his goals with Cloud and just goes along. He reluntantly gives leadership to Cloud after Aeris and Tifa say its Cloud that should be the leader. This is outside Midgar, before heading on to Kalm. Go watch that scene.

Between Kalm and Nibelheim the party witnesses Sephiroth's power, fights Jenova and travel to a new continent, Barret faces his past and Red XIII as well and the party learns of the planet's struggle and lifestream. This is plot development, Midgar was just the introduction. A great one at that that makes for great storytelling, but an intro nonetheless. For most people, the game actually starts when we get out of Midgar. I would be fine with the party being able to return to Midgar whenever they wanted to. But this is just nonsense and will lead to way too many changes to the pacing and plot itself.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You litteraly just listed all the plot points that we get in Midgar and none of those can be developed further without ruining the pace or changing the game altogether.

Going after Sephiroth is not something that can be developed along a 40 hour game set only in Midgar because the reason for wanting to chase Sephiroth cannot be more detailed without going to Kalm or exposing plenty of the plot.

Barret just aligns his goals with Cloud and just goes along. He reluntantly gives leadership to Cloud after Aeris and Tifa say its Cloud that should be the leader. This is outside Midgar, before heading on to Kalm. Go watch that scene.

Between Kalm and Nibelheim the party witnesses Sephiroth's power, fights Jenova and travel to a new continent, Barret faces his past and Red XIII as well and the party learns of the planet's struggle and lifestream. This is plot development, Midgar was just the introduction. A great one at that that makes for great storytelling, but an intro nonetheless. For most people, the game actually starts when we get out of Midgar. I would be fine with the party being able to return to Midgar whenever they wanted to. But this is just nonsense and will lead to way too many changes to the pacing and plot itself.

Even without the added content the pacing of the game was going to change in the way how the story is done.
Thanks to new battle system , the world being bigger , everything having voice acting and cutscenes .
The only question is if the added content going to make it better or worst in which way the story develop .

Direwolf

Oct 29, 2017

This is exactly why I said what I did. People are acting like they haven't said anything at all before on their intention when in fact they have several times from the beginning explained that each part will be full sized game. I doubt that has changed.

And adding on that they said it's 2 blue ray discs worth of content there is no way that the game is only 15 hours in length. Even if a lot of it is cutscenes it's notngoing to take up 80% of that space.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I finally watched this on TV with sound instead of my crappy phone. The feels, the nostalgia 😭. How am I supposed to play with constant tears in my eyes when this releases?

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah he was in a flashback. He was also in a hidden flashback you can get by returning to the basement of the Shinra Manor in Nibelheim on disc 3.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
I was really unsure about how they were going to do the combat because I didn't quite like the combat in XV. It wasn't terrible but not great. However with this video, it looks to be amazing from my perspective.

Also want to praise the hell out of their art team for the monster designs. They look so freaking cool.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm conflicted about what we know now. Like, I enjoyed the grimy, gritty setting of Midgar in the original, but I liked leaving it and exploring the rest of the world even more. I'm concerned that so much has been funnelled into this Midgar expansion that the remaining parts (whenever they actually release) are going to be either incredibly rushed or have a ton of stuff cut out. I just don't see how reshaping what was 10-15% of the original game into a 40 hour experience -- thereby increasing the development time of the entire project by years, when it's already taken at least 5 to get us to this point -- makes any kind of sense.

Anyway, still got major nostalgia feels from this trailer and am massively looking forward to the remake...I just hope it doesn't take another 10 years for us to see a conclusion (or worse, for the final part/s to be scrapped).

Also, loving all the new designs. They've made everyone hot, even those they probably shouldn't (Daddy Heidegger isn't something I ever thought I'd be typing in a FFVII remake thread).

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Basement dwelling japanese audience now trying to imply that Tifa got censored cause of Sony regulations...lol these losers

Her boobs are still big, just with a bra on underneath so its not embarrassing.

Most of these artistic choices come down to just being common sense.

Was it really implied that she isn't wearing a bra in the original? I know a lot of ecchi artists give her visible teats through her tank top but I figured this was more a lewd thing than what the creators had intended.

Anyways if you want really silly tittymonster Tifa that's what fan art's for. I don't get what there is to complain about here.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A) The game IS changed all together (and y'all are gonna have to just accept that)
B) This is clearly Sephiroth going after Cloud, not Cloud going after Sephiroth. Before you say, "That's dumb"-- I'm going to say one word and then walk away, because it should theoretically explain everything if my hunch is right: Reunion.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a pipe dream to me unfortunately. I think Square knows how much hype they can milk of this and will end up making the whole game a trilogy and each game full price.
I'm not talking about the price or the amount of content, mind. I just prefer to be able to be install the sequel and have them be integrated into the main game seamlessly the way Heavensward and Stormblood are.