FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE - Trailer for E3 2019 w/ Details & Gameplay Demo

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Not all that concerned with it TBH. Its pretty evident that they're gonna go and hugely expand on midgar. Otherwise you'd have a roughly 4-8 hr game. Thats pretty much how long it takes to get out of midgar even if youre stumbling around blindly.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Midgar's always been a compelling location and has a ton of potential to be expanded on. Heck, I thought the whole game was there reading the magazines back in the day before FF7 came out.

The next parts are going to be harder to adapt into the "remake" format.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
the smeary youtube compression + fast moving action was hard to get good grabs from and I was excited when Gamersyde had a high quality version hosted at 3x the bitrate but it's got frame pacing issues (3rd frame repeated twice, 5th frame dropped to preserved timing) that are driving me NUTS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You've played the game, then?
What if *gasp* they add new elements to the story that fleshes everything out and are able to stand on their own?
Am I supposed to be excited for riveting content like being forced to go to Sector 4 to deliver milk for someone and seeing how oh, no, it sucks to live in Sector 4 too because of mean ol' ShinRa?

You can't add thirty+ hours of content to four hours of game and have it not be bloated filler. You can't.

Heckler456

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Am I supposed to be excited for riveting content like being forced to go to Sector 4 to deliver milk for someone and seeing how oh, no, it sucks to live in Sector 4 too because of mean ol' ShinRa?

You can't add thirty+ hours of content to four hours of game and have it not be bloated filler. You can't.
I know that you and I can't really visualize it, but we're also not making games for a living.
At any rate, you can actually do that, and do it successfully. You do it by fleshing out what you already have, and by adding new threads that are either completely separate, or that influence the main story in some way. Just having Wedge, Jessie, and Biggs be actual characters should provide a ton more potential.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know that you and I can't really visualize it, but we're also not making games for a living.
At any rate, you can actually do that, and do it successfully. You do it by fleshing out what you already have, and by adding new threads that are either completely separate, or that influence the main story in some way. Just having Wedge, Jessie, and Biggs be actual characters should provide a ton more potential.
Unless they're actual party members who add to the gameplay, I legitimately do not give one fraction of a shit about them because I already know they're going to die. No amount of "fleshing out" will make it worth $60 and 40 hours.

Heckler456

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Unless they're actual party members who add to the gameplay, I legitimately do not give one fraction of a shit about them because I already know they're going to die. No amount of "fleshing out" will make it worth $60 and 40 hours.
I'm not trying to convince you to buy the game. No need to reiterate that you aren't interested; we know. I'm just arguing the merit of fleshing stuff out for the rest of us. I mean, it sounds like you aren't interested in even replaying this game at all, but for those of us who are interested in playing this game again (albeit we a lot of new additions), it's a good thing that the game tries to make us care more about those kinds of characters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to convince you to buy the game. No need to reiterate that you aren't interested; we know. I'm just arguing the merit of fleshing stuff out for the rest of us. I mean, it sounds like you aren't interested in even replaying this game at all, but for those of us who are interested in playing this game again (albeit we a lot of new additions), it's a good thing that the game tries to make us care more about those kinds of characters.
I just don't see the value in adding some sob backstory to Biggs or making Jessie flirt with Cloud more than she already did in the original game.

At least making them battle party members would be something meaningful, but more cutscenes that just expand on shit we already got the first time around are literally filler, you know?

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see the value in adding some sob backstory to Biggs or making Jessie flirt with Cloud more than she already did in the original game.

At least making them battle party members would be something meaningful, but more cutscenes that just expand on shit we already got the first time around are literally filler, you know?
I found them lacking in the original game, so it's more like "fuller" to me.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I took a buncha screencaps from the prores video in the PR site. Some look nice enough for wallpaper material, others still have too much compression.

https://imgur.com/a/xsqDUz2

Unfortunately imgur jumbled up the order but whatever. :P

Bh7812

Oct 25, 2017
I want to preface this by saying I’m really not a fan of the original FF 7, at all. What they showed last night though....Jesus...that left me actually going 😮! The production values are obscenely insane unreal. The banter during that big battle was great too! What I heard of the music, well, it’s way better than it has any right to be. That completely blew past my expectations for it. I am extremely curious to hear the redone Tifa’s theme and the one that plays in Kalm, that village/town theme. If what I heard last night is anything to go by they probably nailed both of those. Tifa’s theme is almost assuredly going to be in the first part in March. The Kalm theme we’ll probably be waiting a while to hear since that would be in the second party. Needless to say Square got me, almost definitely buying Part 1 at launch in March.

Dragoon

Oct 31, 2017
This game looks incredible. Watching the gameplay, I felt like this game has the gameplay FF XV should have had, and maybe the non shitty open world.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to have a massive amount of in-game cinematics, real-time engine cinematics, and FMV. I'm sure this in combination with what most likely with dual/multi audio is ballooning the capacity of game. That being said, the visuals are phenomenal on a technical and artistic level.

sarumog

Oct 27, 2017
Btw will you be filming the demo?
They didn't allow filming for the demo. Was super impressed though. Combat felt like ff15 but easier to get into. I really liked how the ATB system felt. Frames didn't feel super solid but i bad either. I imagine they have more time to work on that. Boss fight was so epic. Day 1 purchase for me. This is going to be huge

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't allow filming for the demo. Was super impressed though. Combat felt like ff15 but easier to get into. I really liked how the ATB system felt. Frames didn't feel super solid but i bad either. I imagine they have more time to work on that. Boss fight was so epic. Day 1 purchase for me. This is going to be huge
Do you know if it was running on the pro or base PS4?

Oct 27, 2017
I liked everything about this showing - love the active/pause ATB system, seems the perfect balance between tactical menus and a more realistic and dynamic combat presentation. Characters look on point. Midgar looks fantastic. The music remixes are totally working for me so far too.

One minor concern - I don’t mind longer/tougher boss battles than in original, but I hope standard enemies don’t take too long with stagger system. I got tired of how much work it was to put down standard does on XIII even though I was working the paradigm system and finishing most fights fairly quickly. Especially when leveled up, I don’t want every low level fight to be a chess match.

On the bigger potentially troubling issue of blowing Midgar out into a full game I’m ambivalent. On one hand, a big engaging city is certainly enough space for a long RPG (e.g. I don’t hear anyone complaining about Night City being the whole playable space in Cyberpunk). Also, I really did feel like Midgar was too rushed in the original. I was just starting to get a handle on the layout and on Shinra when it was over. And the Avalanche mooks had so little screen time they might as well not have been in the game. Midgar is the core of corporate environmental exploitation in the world, and this is one of the thematic pillars of the whole game. Getting a better feel for it, and potentially a more nuanced and real world view of the forces at play (not just corporate greed but customer demand and convenience and ignorance and compartmentalization) seems warranted and could resonate with later scenarios. I’m happy with Midgar being expanded. Is it enough for a whole game though?

I don’t think so if we’re just talking about filling in around the story beats from the original. That would indeed constitute bloat. If it’s going to be a whole game that keeps tight pacing there are going to have to be other scenarios woven throughout the rest of the city, and they’re going to have to be meaningful and help us better understand the world and characters (think Bloody Baron). If it’s just generic side quest filler I’m going to end up disappointed.

Also ffs SE, you’ve kept us waiting for five years and are finally talking but can’t give us ANYTHING about how the rest of the games will be structured/scheduled? Really?

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked a lot of what they showed during their conference. It feels like they really get what people want out of this remake. And I'm hoping that means that Barrett will be a better character in the final game. There's nothing wrong with having a black character be loud or obnoxious or using slang. But this portrayal is just a bad character. He sounds more like a 80s/90's pro-wrestler than somebody with an attitude.

It feels like they did nothing to redesign the character. It's pretty obvious that the original does a lot of caricaturization because of its crude graphics. Most characters are basically pantomiming whatever character qualities they are supposed to have. But this remake looks like it's trying to be more subtle in most cases. Tifa is a good example of this. The original FFVII game was probably trying to represent what we are seeing in this remake, but crude graphics require exaggerated body dimensions. Every element of FFVII is toned down a bit because it's meant to be a more realistic illustration, and the pantomiming is no longer necessary. But Barrett feels like he is taken straight out of the original version unchanged. It sucks if he is like this because he actually has some important story-points that are going to be super awkward to hear from him if he's trying to sound like Macho Man Randy Savage.