• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm totally fine with the Midgar-only thing. But the funny thing is, I can remember September 7, 1997.... I beat the entire Midgar section on the first night. Not really a marathon or anything... it was just a strong 5 hour play sesh.

Beef it up please.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This thing is going to sell a lot of PS4 isn't it?
3390575_700b.jpg

Game is a bit late to the PS4 success story.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is much much different from FF15. They are taking the best aspects from Crisis core, the original FF7, FF15, KH2 and even FF13 with the stagger system and throwing them into a great blender. Hell they are even taking aspects from Nomura's original Versus 13 concept, how you were supposed to easily switch characters on the fly with different jobs and attacks patterns near seamlessly

Yep, this looks incredible. It's looking like the best of everything, and I hope it comes together well.

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
How the fuck are people ok with a whole game being just Midgar? Yes I do get it get it is a remake and not 1:1 but revamping of padding that will be needed will be fucking immense. Expanding in things from the original game is more than fine but this is too much. The game can't be anything other than an absolute mess.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Coming from FF7 being my favourite game of all time, literally everything I saw was perfect and far better than I could ever have imagined. All the characters look on point, the graphics and city look amazing, combat looks really well done. Can't wait for March to experience the story again in a whole new way! I even love that it will be multiple games, the world and story is so huge that it deserves to be fleshed out. An entire game that fits onto 2 blu-rays and ends with you leaving Midgar? Give me that shit.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot to cover, but they can make Midgar mean more. Right now it's seen as little more than tutorial with set up story. It should be more than that with what happens right before you leave

Hopefully it will be, I'm just more worried about how many episodes this will be if the first one is just an expanded version up till leaving Midgar.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
did they take tips from the division devs when making the scorpion boss lol?

Not sure what to make of this half action half tactical gameplay. At this point it would have been better full action tbh, not FF15 automated bull.
I think it's actually a really smart design.

Something that has been the case for FF games since XII is that they've shifted from being about single decisive/impactful turns to a more attrition-oriented MMOish focus on managing your DPS versus how much damage you're taking versus how much MP you're expending. Arguably that's *some* of what FF4 is about too (no spoilers but a lot of its flow is also kinda tank-centric), but I digress. I don't think there's anything wrong with that idea - XII and XIII are both pretty fun when it comes to battles, IMO - but it's definitely *different* from what you see in the SNES/PS1 era of the series.

This system, from the looks of it, manages to absorb a lot of the advantages of newer games in the series (no separate battle screen, so when you're against really underpowered enemies you can just kinda walk through an area slaughtering them effortlessly without even really thinking about it; stagger system can give battles a slightly more cinematic-feeling ebb and flow as you work to expose a boss's weakness and then take advantage of it) with that older-school notion of single decisive turns; everything that actually consumes your ATB gauge is going to feel like a big deal when it happens, but it'll be happening really frequently, and I really love that.

Like FFX-2's nice and quick ATB Kai system when it first came out, this really looks like a basic combat system that could pretty plausibly be transplanted into remakes of other games and work just as well (FF8, FF9, Parasite Eve, and so on) to make them feel modernized without losing the feeling of taking turns in the original game. I really, really like it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from FF7 being my favourite game of all time, literally everything I saw was perfect and far better than I could ever have imagined. All the characters look on point, the graphics and city look amazing, combat looks really well done. Can't wait for March to experience the story again in a whole new way! I even love that it will be multiple games, the world and story is so huge that it deserves to be fleshed out. An entire game that fits onto 2 blu-rays and ends with you leaving Midgar? Give me that shit.

Wait the two discs are Midgar???

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
They should put a big 'Part 1' title in the boxart because some people will think it's the full game when they see it stores imo.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it'll go something like this..

First game = 2 discs (Midgar)
Second game = 2/3 discs (Kalm-->The Crater)
Third game = 2/3 discs (Escape from Junon --> End)

We should be in next gen by part 2 so they might use 1 disc because the disc could be bigger .
And because they will be able to do more stuff in real time since they will have more power.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Man, their showing for this was awesome. This is going to be massive. Release date is sooner than I expected as well.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
They should make Jessie a party member, seems there won't be Yuffie, Cid or Vincent in this part.

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
Everything about it seems so perfect. I hope they keep a variation of this battle system for future titles. I especially love how they seem to use fire as a trigger for Sephiroth in the trailers so far or at least burn up the environment when he shows up, it just makes so much sense. Character designs are outstanding and voices are great. Barret's voice will hopefully grow on me after more serious conversations. Now it only needs to be a success so they can realise the whole world and story.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
We should be in next gen by part 2 so they might use 1 disc because the disc could be bigger .
And because they will be able to do more stuff in real time since they will have more power.
Yeah, Actually makes me happy they dedicated the first part just for midgar so we get the entire rest of the world built for next gen. Gonna be awesome. Just hope they keep the momentum going.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
How the fuck are people ok with a whole game being just Midgar? Yes I do get it get it is a remake and not 1:1 but revamping of padding that will be needed will be fucking immense. Expanding in things from the original game is more than fine but this is too much. The game can't be anything other than an absolute mess.

See you in the release hype thread in 8 months!

Second black guy confirmed!

Who is the first?

*ERA rimshots*

...I'll see myself out.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Wow gameplay actually looks surprisingly fun. I just assumed it would be sh*t based on FF XV. The tactics mode and party switching give a nice FF XII vibe.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I don't know if it was already pointed out, but doesn't the Hardedge seem faster than the Buster Sword?
Do you think different swords will have different weight and speed (like the Murasame, for instance)? That would be freaking cool.

Oct 25, 2017
What make me happy is we can looking forward to this battle system for years .
Thanks to the game being more parts .
IMO they really did strike a good balance to make both groups happy.
Hahaha, you're not wrong.

I imagine I'll end up never choosing to carry my save files, if there's such an option, because I'll definitely end up really overleveled in each part.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I'm certainly not. I think at this point the defence force is using the excuse we wouldn't get the game otherwise and FF7 is just too damn big to be made HD.