• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
What make me happy is we can looking forward to this battle system for years .
Thanks to the game being more parts .
IMO they really did strike a good balance to make both groups happy.
I've mentioned it a few times before, but if this battle system is as good as it seems, I kind of hope it becomes the go to Final Fantasy battle system for the foreseeable future. I really miss when Final Fantasy had a gameplay identity, and I think building and iterating on a battle system (like they did in the IV-IX era) is going to be better for the series than building one from the ground up every time.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the battle system in action looked like a blast. It also made me want a Parasite Eve remake using something similar to this battle system. Can't wait.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
His face looks so weird to me in this shot, but I can't put my finger on the reason. It's worse in motion.
He looks more otherworldly and alien compared to before, sorta like Griffith
Commie-Berserk-Golden-Age-Chapter-I-Egg-of-the-High-King-BD-720p-AAC-4E0448A9.mkv_snapshot_00.20.58_2012.06.05_12.10.48-1024x428.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It seems they went out of their way to make him look more overtly offputting and sinister

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Red XIII doesn't seem to have a Voice Cast listing as per the other thread

Weird. Either he isn't showing up in Part 1, they're not announcing his VA for some reason or he won't have any speaking parts.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Did y'all hear the non-stop chatter during the scorpion fight ? No wonder they're going to need 2 BD's .. just that fight alone had more dialogue than Phantom Pain's cut-scenes had.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Red XIII doesn't seem to have a Voice Cast listing as per the other thread

Weird. Either he isn't showing up in Part 1, they're not announcing his VA for some reason or he won't have any speaking parts.
Eh, this doesn't show anything about voices for President Shinra, Hojo, Heidegger, Scarlet, the Turks, et cetera, yet all of them are gonna be in there.

It's not an exhaustive list of every voice actor for the game.

Oct 25, 2017
He seems to have more of a rounded face in the remake, it was sharper in Advent Children.
He looks more otherworldly and alien compared to before, sorta like Griffith
Commie-Berserk-Golden-Age-Chapter-I-Egg-of-the-High-King-BD-720p-AAC-4E0448A9.mkv_snapshot_00.20.58_2012.06.05_12.10.48-1024x428.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It seems they went out of their way to make him look more overtly offputting and sinister
Yeah, that could be it.

He looks like a cat.

Right now I just feel like it's weird, but it could end up the good kind of weird once I get used to it.

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
I'm certainly not. I think at this point the defence force is using the excuse we wouldn't get the game otherwise and FF7 is just too damn big to be made HD.

It being split is absolutely fine, but having one game be solely Midgar is far too much. You either change the story, which again in moderation is fine, to fit a 30 -40 hour experience where the original was only 5 hours, or you pack the game with filler. Changing the story to that degree is not something that interests me, I just dont how you can do it and still stay true to the original.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I mean the two disc situation is probably the same as RDR2 one Install Disc and one Play Disc, huge file size. Helpful for people with shit internet that can't efficiently download 100 gb (probably be a day one patch too).

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's true yeah, but you'd at least expect the main party members?
I think if they wanted to make this big a deal of unveiling Tifa that they'll probably want to do the same for any other party members that get added. A lot of PR strategy is withholding details until you can make a big deal out of them.

Mar 18, 2019
While I'm just nitpicking as your point still stands, I have to point out that FFX was purely turn based and didn't have the ATB system.
Doh! How could I forget FFX? That had one of my favourite battle systems in the series.

However, its conditional turn-based system was like a purely turn-based adaptation of ATB. So it kind of still counts as ATB-esque, in a way.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
Love the trailer. They're getting a lot of things right. The music is about the most perfect arrangements of the songs I could hope for. They've toned down the melodies enough so that they're not as in your face as the old ones, but still wholly recognizable as the tracks from the original. Brilliant.

The new voice cast so far seems a huge improvement over the old ones. I'd be nervous if I'd known they were going for celebrity actors if I hadn't heard them before finding out. I guess it helps that I don't watch any of the shows the cast has played in. Cloud and especially Tifa sound much better than before.

It sucks that some characters won't be in this release since it's only taking place in Midgar. It wouldn't be hard to fit Yuffie in, especially if they intend on fleshing out her introduction and giving her a bigger role since we first meet her in a random encounter anyway. They could easily give her an excuse for showing up in Midgar at an earlier point instead of just wandering the forests around the continent. Cid and Vincent are so tied to their respective locales that it wouldn't make sense shoehorning them into the first episode though.

I have to say though, if they intend on the first game only taking place in Midgar, it better be open world. I wanna pop wheelies off an overpass on the Hardy Daytona GTA style, goddammit. I know it's too early to tell how much they're expanding the story, but I can't see them getting more than twenty hours or so out what's presented in the Midgar section of the original. Hopefully there's enough gameplay to dive into to make this the full game they claim it is. Being open world with lots of side quests and shit to fool around with would make it possible I'd say.

And with everyone complaining about the title not signifying that this is a multiple game series: Didn't they say once before that "Remake" was just a temporary title and that it will eventually be called Final Fantasy VII: [Insert subtitle here]?

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Not really sure why a Midgar only episode is making people upset? This isn't your father's FFVII.

I'm down for more avalanche missions, more sectors of Midgar to explore, and more time with characters like Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie.

I always thought the Midgar portion of FFVII was too short and always wanted to explore more of that city. I hope it's a massive open world like city concept that you can explore (only ever went to sectors 1,5, & 7). It would break up the linearity of the game a whole bunch. I love these characters and this world and I don't mind spending more time in it.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
How do we keep players from grinding to lvl 99 before the next game hits?
I don't really think FF7R-2 is just going to load your save from FF7R-1 and keep on trucking with it.

They're going to be separate games, and you'll probably start at level 1 in both of them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SOME progression carry over for sure - maybe your Materia - but yeah, not your levels.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
As someone who didn't play FFVII yet but might be interested in this game, what's the issue with Midgar only?
I think most people are upset because it was a small part included in a much larger game. If it's going to be broken up into parts and released at $60 a piece then you could be looking at a game that will cost a few hundred dollars for the whole story.

Personally I find nothing wrong with it. You're only in Midgar for a short while in the beginning (roughly 3-5 hours) and you return at the end (roughly 1 hour). I think Midgar is an amazing city and if they make it an open world concept with missions and extra story then this could well be worth the asking price. Midgar is one of the coolest cities in all of gaming, and the original game barely utalized it.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the Midgar portion of FFVII was too short and always wanted to explore more of that city. I hope it's a massive open world like city concept that you can explore (only ever went to sectors 1,5, & 7). It would break up the linearity of the game a whole bunch. I love these characters and this world and I don't mind spending more time in it.

My main point of skepticism is just "how much more time?" And I mean that both in terms of the game's overall playtime and just in terms of how long releases are going to be stretched out over. Honestly, I've been pretty skeptical of this title since it was announced 4 years ago, and this gameplay footage actually has kind of re-ignited my interest in the concept of a Final Fantasy VII: Remake. It actually looked way more fun to play than I thought it would, and it's hitting a lot of notes that make me excited to revisit this world again. But at the same time it's hard not to feel a little down on the idea that this is just part one of a game that will be released over ????? years and ?????? separate SKUs.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I think most people are upset because it was a small part included in a much larger game. If it's going to be broken up into parts and released at $60 a piece then you could be looking at a game that will cost a few hundred dollars for the whole story.

Personally I find nothing wrong with it. You're only in Midgar for a short while in the beginning (roughly 3-5 hours) and you return at the end (roughly 1 hour). I think Midgar is an amazing city and if they make it an open world concept with missions and extra story then this could well be worth the asking price. Midgar is one of the coolest cities in all of gaming, and the original game barely utalized it.
Agreed. We only got to see 3 slums, the sewers/train tunnels, and Shinra Tower in the original. We got a tiny taste of upper plate city and even then it was during chaos. Midgar is brimming with potential for expansion and IMO deserves more time.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Not shocking since it might be planned so far ahead into the future. If anything goes to shit they might change their plan.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
Surely they have a rough outline of how the game would ideally be split, though I'm sure they wouldn't want to reveal that yet until confirmed.

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't we just get a trilogy? Now I'm questioning if spending the entire first part in Midgar is the right choice, lol.
I thought they had this on lock.
Goddamnit Square. I hope they're trolling.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

So it seems we are in for a long wait.

I have no problem with this .
There always new idea that come up and if midgar as big as they say they can expand the rest also .
There also next gen coming which can also change how they want to do things .
Also i sure they have a over all plan but don't want to say anything right now.