• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
My main point of skepticism is just "how much more time?" And I mean that both in terms of the game's overall playtime and just in terms of how long releases are going to be stretched out over. Honestly, I've been pretty skeptical of this title since it was announced 4 years ago, and this gameplay footage actually has kind of re-ignited my interest in the concept of a Final Fantasy VII: Remake. It actually looked way more fun to play than I thought it would, and it's hitting a lot of notes that make me excited to revisit this world again. But at the same time it's hard not to feel a little down on the idea that this is just part one of a game that will be released over ????? years and ?????? separate SKUs.
I agree that it sounds insane, but I really think they have something ground breaking here. It looks like they are finally going to be able to make the game they set out to all those years ago, but given the limitations of the ps1 they had to rush through parts of it. I also have been reignited with this new footage and I can't wait to explore more of Midgar.

There is just so much more to Midgar that we don't see or don't know. Same with towns like Calm in Dirge of Cerberus, or Wutai in Crisis Core, and Final Fantasy XIV's take on the Gold Saucer is really incredible. Even Midgar in Advant Children really blew up the idea of this city. These games/film made you see new and improved sides of these beloved areas and expand them beyond a single screen or two.

I also think I just wanted to live in Midgar when i was a kid, and now it looks like I might be able to. The biggest drawback to all this is of course Square might cancel it (like FFXV dlc) and we may only end up getting this one section, but only time will tell and who knows, they may have the money especially if Sony is involved with exclusivity.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Not shocking since it might be planned so far ahead into the future. If anything goes to shit they might change their plan.

I was assuming thats what they were always planning.

I know how beloved the game is but i expected they would test the waters. If it doesn't sell as well as everyone thinks it would (since its a remake), they would divert the resources back to a new mainline game?

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't believe for a second that they don't have a plan.

Yeah they must have a road map for it, but it's possible some parts would turn out longer/shorter than intended as development goes on so they don't want to commit. Imagine if they said 3 parts then it turned out being 4.

I mean, I hope they have a plan lol

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
While it's true that they could decide to change or add more, I'm sure there is a rough plan in place. Kitase is probably mostly joking.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Or they know exactly what they've planned but don't want to tell people so if things change they can adjust accordingly without people expecting a certain thing.
They have a plan but plans might change in the future and I am sure the backlash would be immense if they went from three to four or even five games suddenly. So it's actually smart to not comment on it just yet.

Yeah then say something like that without commiting to a definite answer instead of "lol I dunno"

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I was assuming thats what they were always planning.

I know how beloved the game is but i expected they would test the waters. If it doesn't sell as well as everyone thinks it would (since its a remake), they would divert the resources back to a new mainline game?
Not sure but Kitase pretty much dodging the question through a small lie is probably a smart move by him business wise. If he went out and said "Yeah we have a rough plan to release three games" and they deviated from this plan somehow, the outrage would be immense.

Oct 27, 2017

So it seems we are in for a long wait.

So, FFVII remake is the Song of Ice and Fire of videogames huh.
Not sure but Kitase pretty much dodging the question through a small lie is probably a smart move by him business wise. If he went out and said "Yeah we have a rough plan to release three games" and they deviated from this plan somehow, the outrage would be immense.
If he had a plan he coud easily have said "internally we have a rough estimate but we are not ready talk about it just yet". From his answer it sounds like they really don't have a plan yet.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think FF7R-2 is just going to load your save from FF7R-1 and keep on trucking with it.

They're going to be separate games, and you'll probably start at level 1 in both of them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SOME progression carry over for sure - maybe your Materia - but yeah, not your levels.

Starting at level 1 wouldn't make sense. They'll probably put us at an adequate level at the start of each episode.

Said a few pages back that they probably don't know how many episodes this will have. Not surprising.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like waiting for A Song of Ice and Fire all over again lol
Berserk hiatuses, ASOIAF taking forever and now Square's telling me they don't know how many games it'll take to finish FFVII-Remake.
giphy.gif

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is waiting for this game was hard enough after it was announced, waiting for the next part to just get announced after playing FF7R:Midgar is going to be awful.. and each time a new part is announced we have to wonder how much story the game will even cover

Last edited:

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How will they work out multiple games and progression? Carry over? Depower Metroid style?

I mean XV didn't even stop at 99 so a level cap could theoretically be adjusted to whatever they want these days. Scaling could be a thing for enemies/bosses too.

And as far as how many parts and not knowing yet? I bet they're still testing things out if a world map is even viable. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with traveling cutscenes, occasional outdoors open-world zones, and eventually a FFX style drop-down menu airship to revisit locations and challenge tougher enemies.

I could also see a few of the monster bosses (Materia Keeper for instance) turned into recurring enemies rather than be anywhere near the level of the crazy cinematic first boss battle we saw last night.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly the answer I expected.

You can't plan it with next generation on the horizon.
Yes you can. Wait to release the thing as a next gen title. Problem solved. Acting like the only way for this to be made was to do episodic content or get it out across multiple platforms is ridiculous.

Hahaha, so we be able to play the full game by the time PS6 launches?
I highly doubt it. It took them what, 4-5 years JUST to get midgar out? Thats like 10% of the game max.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I want a Crisis Core remake with this battle system. :(

Actually, this combat looks very much like the one on Crisis Core but revamped. You got your guard button, dodge button and one slash per attack button press, exactly like Crisis Core.

Which is why i'm liking this so much.
CC remains one of my favorite FF

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't care. The more FF7 we get the better for me. I'm glad they're even remaking this game.

Can't wait!!

Same here I think, what we've seen so far just looks absolutely perfect so if cutting it up into pieces and drsging it out is what's necessary I guess that's fair.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Same here I think, what we've seen so far just looks absolutely perfect so if cutting it up into pieces and drsging it out is what's necessary I guess that's fair.
Yeah exactly what I think.

It's interesting to me that the entire first part is just going to be about Midgar and us going up against Shinra as a whole with it's president and all the other numerous things you can do in the game. There's a lot they can throw at us in a way that the ending of this part could potentially feel like the ending to a big RPG in of itself.

I'm treating it like anime arcs. The Shinra Arc went from 14 episodes into a full arc so we'll see how they can flesh it out.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for now I'm looking at the positives. If an all-Midgar game delivers me a compelling, meaty experience from beginning to end then I happily accept a franchised version of the remake.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I highly doubt it. It took them what, 4-5 years JUST to get midgar out? Thats like 10% of the game max.

Chances are Midgar is a much higher percentage of the remake than it was in the original. Plus, at least in theory, they've got the general gameplay engine running now along with a lot of general assets (like main character graphics & animation) and now, it's primarily a matter of building content.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chances are Midgar is a much higher percentage of the remake than it was in the original. Plus, at least in theory, they've got the general gameplay engine running now along with a lot of general assets (like main character graphics & animation) and now, it's primarily a matter of building content.
I just find it ridiculous theyre adding more work to an already enormous undertaking given their development of FF games post 10. And then I assume theyll be doing the same for the rest of the releases as well. While the egine and gameplay might be finished now, theyre still going to need to build a staggering amount of content just for the rest of the original game alone, not considering the extra content they said theyd be adding to each release to make it a full priced game.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
They said earlier on that they had an idea of how many games it would be, so Kitase's response to me seems like an out. They have a plan but plans can change. I'm sure at one point they thought the first game wasn't going to be just Midgar but now it is. It's still not a great response though. We'll know more about the next part for sure by E3 2021. I have to imagine they'll want to get these games out every couple of years.

Imran reaction has me hyped too.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you're right, but I also fear that this coming out so close to next gen means revamping the assets all over again for Part II. At least III+ should come out quickly.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe we still don't have gameplay vídeos from Square's booth.

Oct 28, 2017
That's really worrying. If they don't have a plan laid out, then they don't have any pacing.

I hope this won't be a 5 part release... I mean just midgar for the first part, probably means that the second ends on the boat after Junon...

It can't be more than 3 parts, that would be insane. My guess would be that part 2 is pretty linear and ends after the Whirlwind cave. Then part 3 will basically start with you getting the Highwind and be a much more open world experience with lots of sidequests and locations.

It will still takes years to get them all though. Part 3 is probably near the end of the PS5 life cycle.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you're right, but I also fear that this coming out so close to next gen means revamping the assets all over again for Part II. At least III+ should come out quickly.

I don't see why they'd revamp Midgar when you barely touch the city again once you leave. They're going to be building the rest of FF7 with the PS5 in mind.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France

"2. This isn't a side-project; the team at Square Enix views this game as the next full numbered entry in the Final Fantasy series."

final_fantasy_vii_remake-e3_2019-screenshot_5.png

Love this screenshot <3
The healing spell in action looked great.

Last edited:

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's really worrying. If they don't have a plan laid out, then they don't have any pacing.

I hope this won't be a 5 part release... I mean just midgar for the first part, probably means that the second ends on the boat after Junon...

It literally does not mean that they don't have a plan laid out. That's not how planning works. It means that the end is so far out that their plan isn't a hard guarantee because of the realities of game developement. And, y'know, that super large ammount of time passing. Saying something now, no matter how hard your plan is, would wind up being a lie and getting people mad somewhere down the line. This is an open and honest admission of the hurdles of their ambition to do this right.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Kitase said back in 2015 that they have it planned out but he can't predict what's going to happen so far in the future so he wouldn't say.

And if we're being realistic, how many producers would tell you how many games they're planning for a franchise? Almost none of them would.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kitase said back in 2015 that they have it planned out but he can't predict what's going to happen so far in the future so he wouldn't say.

And if we're being realistic, how many producers would tell you how many games they're planning for a franchise? Almost none of them would.
Because that's the reality: You can't account for the impact time passing will have on a project that will span at least a decade. No matter how solid you think your plan is. This is what everyone wants out of Square Enix: Honesty. And some of these reactions are why it's so hard to give.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it......they are gonna milk this aren't they?
Did you honestly think they wouldn't?

I just hope this whole Remake hullabaloo isn't delaying development on the actual next, new mainline entry in the franchise.

"2. This isn't a side-project; the team at Square Enix views this game as the next full numbered entry in the Final Fantasy series."
This doesn't help alleviate my worries. XVI is your actual, next full numbered entry, guys.