• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping someone who gets to play demo can confirm that you can't abuse potions and PD's in KO states to live forever. FF15 was very easy because of this.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I actually wouldn't mind more jrpgs turning into series instead of just being one and done.
The XIII trilogy could've worked if it wasn't so flawed from the start.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Did you honestly think they wouldn't?

I just hope this whole Remake hullabaloo isn't delaying development on the actual next, new mainline entry in the franchise.

This doesn't help alleviate my worries. XVI is your actual, next full numbered entry, guys.
FF fans have been waiting a looong time for a remake dude Square has finally started best to not take resources for other games else one or another is going to suffer

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI is coming from the XIV division.
That's the heavily implied rumor, yes. I hope it's true and we hear about it whenever it's ready to be revealed. And if the devs who worked on Heavensward are on it, even better.

To be honest, after 13 and 15, I wouldn't mind Square going back to the drawing boards for a while and just prototype a lot of ideas and come up with the best new mainline FF entry in decades :p
I don't want "a while" to be after all of VII Remake is done cause who the fuck knows when that'll be. That's my biggest fear.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
It literally does not mean that they don't have a plan laid out. That's not how planning works. It means that the end is so far out that their plan isn't a hard guarantee because of the realities of game developement. And, y'know, that super large ammount of time passing. Saying something now, no matter how hard your plan is, would wind up being a lie and getting people mad somewhere down the line. This is an open and honest admission of the hurdles of their ambition to do this right.
There is a difference between "let's see how we do it" and "we do 3 or 5 games". Without scope, you have no basis for anything.

I rather think they want to wait and see how successful the part is, before committing to any number of games.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between "let's see how we do it" and "we do 3 or 5 games". Without scope, you have no basis for anything.

I rather think they want to wait and see how successful the part is, before committing to any number of games.
They have scope. But they also have a vague idea of how long it will take the scope to be finished. Again, this is a project that's going to probably take the better part of a DECADE to complete. You literally cannot account for the realities that you might encounter somewhere down the line when you're doing something as ambitious as this. The fact that you can't see a plan doesn't mean there's no plan-- that just means you lack object permanency.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Not all that concerned with it TBH. Its pretty evident that they're gonna go and hugely expand on midgar. Otherwise you'd have a roughly 4-8 hr game. Thats pretty much how long it takes to get out of midgar even if youre stumbling around blindly.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
For fuck's sake. This is the worst goddamn timeline.

This looks like a 9 figure budget game that's going to be in the running for best of show at E3, and there's another 9 figure budget game in development by the Heavensward leads, and that's not counting whatever spin offs they have in development. Pretty far from "the worst timeline".

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Midgar's always been a compelling location and has a ton of potential to be expanded on. Heck, I thought the whole game was there reading the magazines back in the day before FF7 came out.

The next parts are going to be harder to adapt into the "remake" format.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
the smeary youtube compression + fast moving action was hard to get good grabs from and I was excited when Gamersyde had a high quality version hosted at 3x the bitrate but it's got frame pacing issues (3rd frame repeated twice, 5th frame dropped to preserved timing) that are driving me NUTS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You've played the game, then?
What if *gasp* they add new elements to the story that fleshes everything out and are able to stand on their own?

Am I supposed to be excited for riveting content like being forced to go to Sector 4 to deliver milk for someone and seeing how oh, no, it sucks to live in Sector 4 too because of mean ol' ShinRa?

You can't add thirty+ hours of content to four hours of game and have it not be bloated filler. You can't.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Am I supposed to be excited for riveting content like being forced to go to Sector 4 to deliver milk for someone and seeing how oh, no, it sucks to live in Sector 4 too because of mean ol' ShinRa?

You can't add thirty+ hours of content to four hours of game and have it not be bloated filler. You can't.
I know that you and I can't really visualize it, but we're also not making games for a living.
At any rate, you can actually do that, and do it successfully. You do it by fleshing out what you already have, and by adding new threads that are either completely separate, or that influence the main story in some way. Just having Wedge, Jessie, and Biggs be actual characters should provide a ton more potential.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know that you and I can't really visualize it, but we're also not making games for a living.
At any rate, you can actually do that, and do it successfully. You do it by fleshing out what you already have, and by adding new threads that are either completely separate, or that influence the main story in some way. Just having Wedge, Jessie, and Biggs be actual characters should provide a ton more potential.

Unless they're actual party members who add to the gameplay, I legitimately do not give one fraction of a shit about them because I already know they're going to die. No amount of "fleshing out" will make it worth $60 and 40 hours.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Unless they're actual party members who add to the gameplay, I legitimately do not give one fraction of a shit about them because I already know they're going to die. No amount of "fleshing out" will make it worth $60 and 40 hours.
I'm not trying to convince you to buy the game. No need to reiterate that you aren't interested; we know. I'm just arguing the merit of fleshing stuff out for the rest of us. I mean, it sounds like you aren't interested in even replaying this game at all, but for those of us who are interested in playing this game again (albeit we a lot of new additions), it's a good thing that the game tries to make us care more about those kinds of characters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to convince you to buy the game. No need to reiterate that you aren't interested; we know. I'm just arguing the merit of fleshing stuff out for the rest of us. I mean, it sounds like you aren't interested in even replaying this game at all, but for those of us who are interested in playing this game again (albeit we a lot of new additions), it's a good thing that the game tries to make us care more about those kinds of characters.

I just don't see the value in adding some sob backstory to Biggs or making Jessie flirt with Cloud more than she already did in the original game.

At least making them battle party members would be something meaningful, but more cutscenes that just expand on shit we already got the first time around are literally filler, you know?

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see the value in adding some sob backstory to Biggs or making Jessie flirt with Cloud more than she already did in the original game.

At least making them battle party members would be something meaningful, but more cutscenes that just expand on shit we already got the first time around are literally filler, you know?
I found them lacking in the original game, so it's more like "fuller" to me.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I took a buncha screencaps from the prores video in the PR site. Some look nice enough for wallpaper material, others still have too much compression.

https://imgur.com/a/xsqDUz2

Unfortunately imgur jumbled up the order but whatever. :P

CNSlOIs.png

3LeXw8s.png

2lkI9aw.png

ojpmfp0.png

5hWnPLi.png

o3MMXrK.png

eZruW0X.png

Nk1qiP9.png

yEk1dOg.png

t76xK7s.png

OauiyiN.png

N2mBDcU.png

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
I want to preface this by saying I'm really not a fan of the original FF 7, at all. What they showed last night though....Jesus...that left me actually going 😮! The production values are obscenely insane unreal. The banter during that big battle was great too! What I heard of the music, well, it's way better than it has any right to be. That completely blew past my expectations for it. I am extremely curious to hear the redone Tifa's theme and the one that plays in Kalm, that village/town theme. If what I heard last night is anything to go by they probably nailed both of those. Tifa's theme is almost assuredly going to be in the first part in March. The Kalm theme we'll probably be waiting a while to hear since that would be in the second party. Needless to say Square got me, almost definitely buying Part 1 at launch in March.