• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game looks incredible. Watching the gameplay, I felt like this game has the gameplay FF XV should have had, and maybe the non shitty open world.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to have a massive amount of in-game cinematics, real-time engine cinematics, and FMV. I'm sure this in combination with what most likely with dual/multi audio is ballooning the capacity of game. That being said, the visuals are phenomenal on a technical and artistic level.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
oXQ90N3.gif

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't allow filming for the demo. Was super impressed though. Combat felt like ff15 but easier to get into. I really liked how the ATB system felt. Frames didn't feel super solid but i bad either. I imagine they have more time to work on that. Boss fight was so epic. Day 1 purchase for me. This is going to be huge

Do you know if it was running on the pro or base PS4?

Oct 27, 2017
I liked everything about this showing - love the active/pause ATB system, seems the perfect balance between tactical menus and a more realistic and dynamic combat presentation. Characters look on point. Midgar looks fantastic. The music remixes are totally working for me so far too.

One minor concern - I don't mind longer/tougher boss battles than in original, but I hope standard enemies don't take too long with stagger system. I got tired of how much work it was to put down standard does on XIII even though I was working the paradigm system and finishing most fights fairly quickly. Especially when leveled up, I don't want every low level fight to be a chess match.

On the bigger potentially troubling issue of blowing Midgar out into a full game I'm ambivalent. On one hand, a big engaging city is certainly enough space for a long RPG (e.g. I don't hear anyone complaining about Night City being the whole playable space in Cyberpunk). Also, I really did feel like Midgar was too rushed in the original. I was just starting to get a handle on the layout and on Shinra when it was over. And the Avalanche mooks had so little screen time they might as well not have been in the game. Midgar is the core of corporate environmental exploitation in the world, and this is one of the thematic pillars of the whole game. Getting a better feel for it, and potentially a more nuanced and real world view of the forces at play (not just corporate greed but customer demand and convenience and ignorance and compartmentalization) seems warranted and could resonate with later scenarios. I'm happy with Midgar being expanded. Is it enough for a whole game though?

I don't think so if we're just talking about filling in around the story beats from the original. That would indeed constitute bloat. If it's going to be a whole game that keeps tight pacing there are going to have to be other scenarios woven throughout the rest of the city, and they're going to have to be meaningful and help us better understand the world and characters (think Bloody Baron). If it's just generic side quest filler I'm going to end up disappointed.

Also ffs SE, you've kept us waiting for five years and are finally talking but can't give us ANYTHING about how the rest of the games will be structured/scheduled? Really?

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
I like the look of everything except Sephiroth's face. There something off about it.

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked a lot of what they showed during their conference. It feels like they really get what people want out of this remake. And I'm hoping that means that Barrett will be a better character in the final game. There's nothing wrong with having a black character be loud or obnoxious or using slang. But this portrayal is just a bad character. He sounds more like a 80s/90's pro-wrestler than somebody with an attitude.

It feels like they did nothing to redesign the character. It's pretty obvious that the original does a lot of caricaturization because of its crude graphics. Most characters are basically pantomiming whatever character qualities they are supposed to have. But this remake looks like it's trying to be more subtle in most cases. Tifa is a good example of this. The original FFVII game was probably trying to represent what we are seeing in this remake, but crude graphics require exaggerated body dimensions. Every element of FFVII is toned down a bit because it's meant to be a more realistic illustration, and the pantomiming is no longer necessary. But Barrett feels like he is taken straight out of the original version unchanged. It sucks if he is like this because he actually has some important story-points that are going to be super awkward to hear from him if he's trying to sound like Macho Man Randy Savage.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
I really liked a lot of what they showed during their conference. It feels like they really get what people want out of this remake. And I'm hoping that means that Barrett will be a better character in the final game. There's nothing wrong with having a black character be loud or obnoxious or using slang. But this portrayal is just a bad character. He sounds more like a 80s/90's pro-wrestler than somebody with an attitude.

It feels like they did nothing to redesign the character. It's pretty obvious that the original does a lot of caricaturization because of its crude graphics. Most characters are basically pantomiming whatever character qualities they are supposed to have. But this remake looks like it's trying to be more subtle in most cases. Tifa is a good example of this. The original FFVII game was probably trying to represent what we are seeing in this remake, but crude graphics require exaggerated body dimensions. Every element of FFVII is toned down a bit because it's meant to be a more realistic illustration, and the pantomiming is no longer necessary. But Barrett feels like he is taken straight out of the original version unchanged. It sucks if he is like this because he actually has some important story-points that are going to be super awkward to hear from him if he's trying to sound like Macho Man Randy Savage.
A lot of that was down to the original game's translator, to be fair. The Japanese writers could do nothing different at all and it would still be better simply by virtue of an improved English localisation.

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching Max Dood, and someone in their chat says there was some theme available from PSN or something. Anyone know what they were talking about? Don't want to miss a special theme.

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of that was down to the original game's translator, to be fair. The Japanese writers could do nothing different at all and it would still be better simply by virtue of an improved English localisation.
Eh, I think the translation matches well to Barret's pantomiming and actions on the original game very well. So I'm not really comfortable with throwing that blame on the translators. And I am not surprised that Square's first black character stuck close to some obvious stereotypes that you see for black people in Japanese media. So this would have been a great opportunity for them to show some growth. There's no reason Barret can't be an abrasive and candid character without losing the ridiculousness from the original game.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
For fuck's sake. This is the worst goddamn timeline.

Not sure if it is.

Do you remember Fabula Nova Crystallis the wait for Versus XIII and the launch of Final Fantasy XIV?

That was the worst timeline.

Only thing that seems clear is that FFXVI isn't going to be handled by Kitase and Nomura.
VII remake and KH will keep them busy, while other leads will handle future FF.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else think Barret's gameplay looks like ass from the streams. Auto aim tps with no melee options...Should have gone full fledged tps that lets you aim the gun yourself or at least copied Prompto's gameplay for XV. They already had a perfect template there.

At least Tifa looks fun to use. She looked more fun to use than even Cloud haha. Can't wait to shroryuken some bosses.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it is.

Do you remember Fabula Nova Crystallis the wait for Versus XIII and the launch of Final Fantasy XIV?

That was the worst timeline.

Only thing that seems clear is that FFXVI isn't going to be handled by Kitase and Nomura.
VII remake and KH will keep them busy, while other leads will handle future FF.

I guess we could say that terrible timeline never ended.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
I guess we could say that terrible timeline never ended.

I hope it did.

FFVII could turn out good.

We do not have the Crystal Engine situation.

And at least we do have other teams who are handling other games.

FFXIV is as strong as ever. Especially with the launch trailer for Shadowbringers.

I just hope Yoshi-p is handling FFXVI.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think Barret's gameplay looks like ass from the streams. Auto aim tps with no melee options...Should have gone full fledged tps that lets you aim the gun yourself or at least copied Prompto's gameplay for XV. They already had a perfect template there.

At least Tifa looks fun to use. She looked more fun to use than even Cloud haha. Can't wait to shroryuken some bosses.
Barret is fine. This is guns with lockon (a la Devil May Cry or something), not guns with aiming. And that's fine.

I think Prompto type gameplay would frankly take way too much testing to implement well, and that it was a mistake for FFXV also. Games shouldn't try to mix too many genres together because they're not going to be able to do them all well.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

Without actually playing it, I think it looks fine. It's not meant to play like an action RPG like Dark Souls, and going into a reticuled mode with a character could be pretty clunky and make blocking/dodging jarring. Because the party members will be attacking without you needing to select them, you don't even really need to play Barrett unless you are specifically targeting a long distance enemy. Even using his ATB can be done from the menu and not while actively playing him.

Maybe on March 3 when I go to play as him it feels underwhelming, but I'm not getting negative spidey sense from it.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
Kitase is credited as producer but like a bunch of times there's interviews saying he is directing too, and it's been since X since he really had this much clout on a game right? And he was the director on 7 originally and scenario writer.

He's allowed the leeway to fucking change the story and structure I feel.

Oct 25, 2017
Best timeline.

FF7 in this quality, over 5 games. I don't give a shit how many, haha.

FF12 did nothing for me, 13 was ok but the characters were boring but good battle system, 14 was online so I don't care, 15 I liked the characters but hated the dogshit story and just playing it didn't feel great.

Like, none of the recent Final Fantasies have done anything for me. But I see this FF7 remake, and it has me excited for an FF game that I haven't felt in a very long time.

So yeah, hot take here, but if we don't get a new FF for the entire PS5 gen, I wouldn't bat an eye. FF7 is the new 16.
But thats just me. I honestly don't expect everyone to feel like that and I can see why people want a new FF instead of remake.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
badcrumble McScroggz From the stream it just looked like the person was just tapping the attack button and every few seconds later just use a skill. He's not aiming or dodging. It's kinda like using Dante, but only using his Ebony and Ivory standard attacks to kill enemies. No skill and takes a long time. Not a good showing imo.

But you're right, I'll need to play some sort of demo first. It might surprise me when I'm using Barrett myself and not just watching someone else.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017

Eh, I like that they're leaning into the Role Playing part of this. Having him being a walking chain gun seems hella fun to me.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
badcrumble McScroggz From the stream it just looked like the person was just tapping the attack button and every few seconds later just use a skill. He's not aiming or dodging. It's kinda like using Dante, but only using his Ebony and Ivory standard attacks to kill enemies. No skill and takes a long time. Not a good showing imo.

But you're right, I'll need to play some sort of demo first. It might surprise me when I'm using Barrett myself and not just watching someone else.

So, how much fun would the original Final Fantasy VII game be if you only used auto attacks? How much fun would Kingdom Hearts be if you only used basic keyblade attacks?

There might not be moment to moment enjoyment from pressing attack so Barrett can autoshoot at the targeted enemy, but that's not the real point of the combat system. For one, you are also going to be blocking and dodging in real time as well as positioning yourself. Also, you will be switching between characters, so although you might use Barrett's auto attacks it will likely come after you've been beating up an enemy up close, so it mixes things up. Not to mention using the ATB tactical commands is what makes or break the basic idea of the combat I think.

Now, if you or anybody just won't like it when you switch to Barrett to auto attack far away or flying enemies irrespective of the other aspects of the combat system, then fair enough. I may end up feeling the same as you.

But my initial impressions aren't that I'm dreading it. In Kingdom Hearts III there are keyblade attacks that are autolocking gun attacks and they are surprisingly satisfying in short bursts.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Agreed. We only got to see 3 slums, the sewers/train tunnels, and Shinra Tower in the original. We got a tiny taste of upper plate city and even then it was during chaos. Midgar is brimming with potential for expansion and IMO deserves more time.
Yea I'm down with extra Avalanche missions or just more story in general.

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Best timeline.

FF12 did nothing for me, 13 was ok but the characters were boring but good battle system, 14 was online so I don't care, 15 I liked the characters but hated the dogshit story and just playing it didn't feel great.

Like, none of the recent Final Fantasies have done anything for me. But I see this FF7 remake, and it has me excited for an FF game that I haven't felt in a very long time.

So yeah, hot take here, but if we don't get a new FF for the entire PS5 gen, I wouldn't bat an eye. FF7 is the new 16.
But thats just me. I honestly don't expect everyone to feel like that and I can see why people want a new FF instead of remake.

Relative to FFXV, it also feels like it is bringing back the FF spectacle in a big way. Like this was the most over the top spectacle gameplay demo this E3, and that is just the way I want my FF. Felt that was largley missing in FFXV, especially the magic which was crap

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
If you think Square doesn't have an outline or a plan regarding FFVIIR then you're mistaken. There's no way that any company would take something of this magnitude on, in this fashion, without a plan. There's a million moving parts here and it's likely they are almost complete with the second part for next year. Too much money involved here to not have a plan.

It's more likely that if Kitase told the internet how long it is going to take it would troll it and tear their concept apart. It's better to keep consumers in the dark.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017

I think the entire point of what we've seen of the gameplay, to be honest, is that the 'regular' attacks - while dealing chip damage - really aren't the main focus of the combat.

My hope is that enemies *also* have their own (hidden-to-us, I guess) ATB meters (building up to special moves), such that the ebb and flow of between-the-turns combat would be landing hits on them while blocking/dodging their hits so that *your* ATB meter fills up fast while theirs fills up more slowly.

But yeah, agreed that it looks like using Dante using E&I and lockon to kill enemies and... that's fine because the meat of the combat is in the ATB turns. The last time we had full-on TPS aiming in the FF7 universe it did not go so well.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
Best timeline.

hey folks, you think the Kai work,

Couldn't agree more

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I tweeted some impressions from my time with the demo. Needless to say, I really really enjoyed it.

Combat felt great. I love the use of stopping time. I love how often I swapped characters and used ATB charges. The thought process of managing just those mechanics alone were super exciting.

I was super worried about gameplay since it would obviously not be traditional ATB turn based combat. But this really captures the spirit so well. Very, very impressed.

I have some more thoughts in this Twitter thread if you wanna read

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
ugh, glad that there are so many positive impressions of the game so far

is the only real point of contention is combat not being like the original game and the number of entrees not being known, we're in a good position if the games are quality irrespective of those outside points

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting Vincent to be in the first game. But I can't wait until we can play him. Give me all the 3edgy5me claw attacks and demon transformations.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I tweeted some impressions from my time with the demo. Needless to say, I really really enjoyed it.

Combat felt great. I love the use of stopping time. I love how often I swapped characters and used ATB charges. The thought process of managing just those mechanics alone were super exciting.

I was super worried about gameplay since it would obviously not be traditional ATB turn based combat. But this really captures the spirit so well. Very, very impressed.

I have some more thoughts in this Twitter thread if you wanna read

Thanks for this! Any comments on the graphics live? Also, was the intro cinematic real time when it zooms out from Aerith to the city to the train and Cloud?

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Best timeline.

Same, 3,4,5 games, I don't care as long as they are good etc.

All over my face.