• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I tweeted some impressions from my time with the demo. Needless to say, I really really enjoyed it.

Combat felt great. I love the use of stopping time. I love how often I swapped characters and used ATB charges. The thought process of managing just those mechanics alone were super exciting.

I was super worried about gameplay since it would obviously not be traditional ATB turn based combat. But this really captures the spirit so well. Very, very impressed.

I have some more thoughts in this Twitter thread if you wanna read

Your impressions (and seemingly everyone that goes hands on with this so far sharing the sentiment) and comparing it to the MGS2 Sons of Liberty demo in terms of impact is making me very hyped. I would love for Square Enix to release the demo to the public. Feels like Final Fantasy X was the last time the franchise was a juggernaut event and a technical showcase. FF7 Remake is a big return to form in that regards.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that FFXV was the prototype to FFVII:R.

I did enjoy FFXV however due to its new style of approach, kinda overwhelming though.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Your impressions (and seemingly everyone that goes hands on with this so far sharing the sentiment) and comparing it to the MGS2 Sons of Liberty demo in terms of impact is making me very hyped. I would love for Square Enix to release the demo to the public. Feels like Final Fantasy X was the last time the franchise was a juggernaut event and a technical showcase. FF7 Remake is a big return to form in that regards.
I don't think they are going to release the demo to the public. Some are saying that the demo has FPS issues.

Era would tear it to shreds lol.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I feel that FFXV was the prototype to FFVII:R.

I did enjoy FFXV however due to its new style of approach, kinda overwhelming though.
nah, FF XV is entirely tabata I think. if Nomura stay attached to Versus, I doubt it will ever have that hold button to auto attack or dodge thing. FF7R combat seems like a perfectly logical evolution of old ATB system combine with ff13 stagger mechanic . in the old ATB, you wait the atb bar until you can input various command like attack, item, magic etc. similar thing still happened in FF7R, but they allow you to move around, doing smaller attack, defend/evade, making positioning more relevant and you're not standing in a line like the old turn based system. I'm kinda surprised they haven't tried this before.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Still wondering about our boy Red XIII. Is he gonna be in it for a few hours or is the last section(s) that long. Or will he be moved to join at the very end of Midgard!?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
By the time I get to fight Ruby Weapon in the ReMake I might have started a family. In 5 years we will get the end of this. Mark my words.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for this! Any comments on the graphics live? Also, was the intro cinematic real time when it zooms out from Aerith to the city to the train and Cloud?
Aerith and the pan out is CG, if that's what you mean. I don't really think we've seen the point in which they manage to transition it. Impressions on the graphics in the demo seem good. I heard some people say things like Cloud's hair being a bit fuzzy or blurry. Also the framerate was a little wild.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Strange that no one has asked them about extended Avalanche missions and moments with the Turks.
ff7-before-crisis-wallpaper-1.jpg

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For the people that played the Demo, did the gameplay felt kinda like Crisis Core?

Feels a million times better than Crisis Core. This is way more similar to Kingdom Hearts 2 with character swapping and ability management.

I saw some comments about the FPS. I'm very sensitive to that stuff and I didn't even think twice about it til I saw posts here. Inputs felt responsive, too. Maybe demos have terrible input latency and this didn't suffer from that thankfully.

Maybe that's just the developer side of me talking but I am currently not worried about it at all.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Feels a million times better than Crisis Core. This is way more similar to Kingdom Hearts 2 with character swapping and ability management.

I saw some comments about the FPS. I'm very sensitive to that stuff and I didn't even think twice about it til I saw posts here. Inputs felt responsive, too. Maybe demos have terrible input latency and this didn't suffer from that thankfully.

Maybe that's just the developer side of me talking but I am currently not worried about it at all.
Is there a way to target/lock on to enemies?

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Strange that no one has asked them about extended Avalanche missions and moments with the Turks.
Fuckin HATE how Sephiroth, Cloud and Zack have to be included in the Before Crisis artwork. It can't just be about the Turks. Gotta crowbar in Cloud and Sephiroth, because it can't be FFVII without Cloud and Sephiroth. It reminds me of Jim Sterling's fear about "Remember the rivalry between Cloud and Sephiroth? Because that's what FFVII was, a story completely about how Cloud and Sephiroth were rivals and would always fight each other!!"

Yeah, there was a lock on mechanic.

When you do the command menu stuff you can pick and choose the enemies just like a traditional turn based game as well.
Okay, that's cool!!

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just started a new playthrough for the first time since, I don't know, like 15 years ago or something. I'm up to the part where Elmyra is explaining her and Aeris's history, and I don't you guys, I had a little tear in my eye even after all this time. If they somehow pull this thing off, this could really be something truly special.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Idk why but one of the most memorable scenes to me is the planetarium scene. Most of this other stuff I see mentioned is like a blast to the past but stuff I completely forgot.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
This is really cool: according to Eurogamer Spain's preview of the demo, in between battles, there's a time where Barret, seemingly stressed, starts humming one of the original game's songs to himself (to calm down I'm guessing). I wonder what song it is. His own theme, maybe?

Beyond that, he also praises what he played (and he's a big fan of the original) and is really excited about the game.

His only negative has to do with the IQ and how Cloud's hair looks fuzzy, unlike in the conference footage, but acknowledges that they still have nine months left to improve that.
Already said this some weeks ago, but I hope to god Reno looks like the creepy motherfucker he was before:
latest
FFVII-01314-Winding-Tunnel-Turks-Minerva-Band.png

His design in the Compilation (and how he's treated) is fucking awful.

Like, what the fuck is this:
reno.jpg

But yeah, I really want to see how those guys look and what their expanded role is.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
His only negative has to do with the IQ and how Cloud's hair looks fuzzy, unlike in the conference footage, but acknowledges that they still have nine months left to improve that.

This is annoying because I thought we wouldn't have that problem with them using UE4. I thought it was just a Luminous Engine issue in FFXV and it really pissed me off how shit the hair looked in that game.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
This is annoying because I thought we wouldn't have that problem with them using UE4. I thought it was just a Luminous Engine issue in FFXV and it really pissed me off how shit the hair looked in that game.
Indeed, and it's a shame as the actual hair looks insane.

I'd be surprised if they don't improve on that come release, but yeah.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Not only do they have 9 months, but all the TV's at E3 apparently have horrible settings that fuck up the look a bit i.e. sharpening

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the impressions in the EA videos actually talk about the behind closed doors demo and being about the whole full bombing mission. They also talk about the characters interections which are pretty interesting.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool: according to Eurogamer Spain's preview of the demo, in between battles, there's a time where Barret, seemingly stressed, starts humming one of the original game's songs to himself (to calm down I'm guessing). I wonder what song it is. His own theme, maybe?

Beyond that, he also praises what he played (and he's a big fan of the original) and is really excited about the game.

Already said this some weeks ago, but I hope to god Reno looks like the creepy motherfucker he was before:
latest
FFVII-01314-Winding-Tunnel-Turks-Minerva-Band.png

His design in the Compilation (and how he's treated) is fucking awful.

Like, what the fuck is this:
reno.jpg

But yeah, I really want to see how those guys look and what their expanded role is.
Totally agree with the Reno bit. Original Reno, given his artwork, model and how he acted, was more of a creep than the bishie "I'm crazy, look at me hang my tongue out.... baahhhhh!" guy from the Compilation. Like I've said elsewhere, Reno used to give me a slimy, greasy, Steve Buscemi-vibe. The whole re-design (yeah, that's what it is) was either something the higher ups thought would be nice ("Dude needs to be more cute and bishie to attract the girlies!") or Nomura knowingly redesigned him like that because he thinks that sorta change is beneficial to the character (it isn't, and it's a instance of a Creator not knowing what is best for his creation, or being out of touch, which I hate to say but, c'mon Nomura, that's a BAD change... amongst all the bad chances the Compilation as a whole brought forth). Had Nomura intended Reno to look like a studmuffin back in 97, he would've given him a face with the similar structure to Tseng and Rufus.