• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What is the Remako Mod?
The Remako HD Graphics Mod is a mod that completely revamps the pre-rendered backgrounds of the classic JRPG Final Fantasy VII. All of the backgrounds now have 4 times the resolution of the original.

Using state of the art AI neural networks, this upscaling tries to emulate the detail the original renders would have had. This helps the new visuals to come as close to a higher resolution re-rendering of the original as possible with current technology.

The entire game is converted and so it is fully playable. Because Final Fantasy VII is a big game and I haven't yet had a chance to check every nook and cranny of the game, I can't guarantee that I've squashed all bugs or graphical imperfections.

datiao_1_0_base_0000516.jpg

Screenshot gallery

Compatibility:
Everyone who owns any of the PC releases of Final Fantasy VII. So whether you have the original 97 disc release, the 2012 Square Enix Store version, or the most recent 2013 Steam version, you can enjoy this mod.

Download:
Download Remako HD Graphics Mod BETA 0.1

Install guide

Read more at the source:
FF7 Remako HD Graphics Mod Beta Released

Oct 30, 2017
How does this compare to the waifu upscales that are already out there? Also, has anybody modded analog in yet?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
This is pretty much all I ever wanted. I never needed Square to fully remake the game, just touch up the original.

Oct 30, 2017
Waifu comparison (only the bottom half of the image). This new methodology handles implied detail a lot better, so the images are a lot less fuzzy and have more texture to them.

39YRuh2.jpg

tZXOts2.jpg

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
The HD backgrounds finally make the HD models look consistent unlike the old version with an HD Cloud walking in low res backgrounds.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I remember buying the original strategy guide for FFVII when I got the PC version ages ago and being bummed at how much more vibrant and crisp the backgrounds in the screenshots in the guide looked vs on my crt monitor. I'm pretty sure they were touched up anyhow in the guide and didn't look that good on psx either but it was still annoying. Seeing how clear the examples in the OP look makes me want to track down that guide to compare the two.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This needs to be officially supported. I played VII on PS4, and the backgrounds took a while to get used to.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is really awesome. I lurked a bit in the neural net uprezzing thread and this stuff looks really impressive. I can't wait to see more PSX era games resurrected via this method.

Oct 30, 2017
I remember buying the original strategy guide for FFVII when I got the PC version ages ago and being bummed at how much more vibrant and crisp the backgrounds in the screenshots in the guide looked vs on my crt monitor. I'm pretty sure they were touched up anyhow in the guide and didn't look that good on psx either but it was still annoying. Seeing how clear the examples in the OP look makes me want to track down that guide to compare the two.

It's a painful reminder that Square Soft lost those high-quality source files due to crappy preservations methods or lack thereof. :/

Bless this AI tech!

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It was kind of a pain to get all of the prerequisites set up on my PC, but the results are pretty good, especially when combined with the replacement character battle and field models that already exist.

I'm curious to see how Nvidia's solution will perform when it finally gets released, but the current work being done is amazing.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the game running after an hour of troubleshooting. Here's two problems that aren't your fault that you may run into:

1. The newest version of 7th Heaven apparently requires at least one save in all 10 slots. Before I did this, the game would crash after any button input.

2. If you're running a 4k setup, the game will appear zoomed in to the top-left quadrant of the games screen. I had to go into display and turn off text scaling to make this work. The downside is that it pretty much makes everything outside of the game unusable, so I'll have to toggle it before and after playing. I tried to get DPI scaling to fix it, but never got it to work.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get the game to run fullscreen. Whenever it did, the graphics got corrupted on 2d screens like menus or credits.

Also, what are the must have installed mods in addition to Remako? So far, I have done remastered FMV, remastered music (not sure which music I will choose), Spell Textures, World Textures, Battle Textures - all the textures the Upscaled versions by Satsuki as opposed to new graphics, The Reunion Because retranslation + Menu Overhaul. It said to replace FF7.exe with different executable if using the Reunion because + menu, which I did and everything seems to work.

I'm not sure about the various weapons, items, character texture replacement mods, I take it most of them are new designs done by fans instead of upscales?

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
This looks so good--especially with the original character models! The mods that swap out the regular gameplay models for, say, the leaner battle characters always look wrong and disproportionate, to me anyway.

Awesome work.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much all I ever wanted. I never needed Square to fully remake the game, just touch up the original.
Same. And a new localization, please

It was kind of a pain to get all of the prerequisites set up on my PC, but the results are pretty good, especially when combined with the replacement character battle and field models that already exist.

Why do people want to do this? The chibi models are half the game's charm!

Bunch of god damn George Lucas mother fuckers out there.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Gave it a run with the higher res models and re-translation/hd menu/font. I think it looks great.
There's even an animation mod that fixes the whole bow-armed problem. Mods are kinda hard to find and know which is the best/most current to use though, ended up taking some time to sort it all out.
qNnAu9a.jpg

pZJHxkg.jpg

D7eRLG7.jpg

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Those HD character models are hideousity.
I can see how they'd be pretty subjective, I really do think their best quality is just the extra clarity they provide.
Take this scene for example;
u22a4CJ.jpg

Back when I first played the game I remember seeing that guy on the upper right on the train and I couldn't tell what the hell was going on there, it actually just looks like a jumble of polygons.
H7MPtuP.jpg

Here, I can actually tell what's going on. I can see his hand, his foot and even the ankle that makes it clear he's laying down one leg over the other. Probably not a big deal for some but I appreciate it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great! Can't wait for ff8 to get the same treatment.
Soon enough

E608PFp.png

-->

3jZp81H.jpg

I can see how they'd be pretty subjective, I really do think their best quality is just the extra clarity they provide.
u22a4CJ.jpg

Back when I first played the game I remember seeing that guy on the upper right on the train and I couldn't tell what the hell was going on there, it actually just looks like a jumble of polygons.
H7MPtuP.jpg

Here, I can actually tell what's going on. I can see his hand, his foot and even the ankle that makes it clear he's laying down one leg over the other. Probably not a big deal for some but I appreciate it.
Not sure if that would overcome my subjective dislike for the main models since I'd be looking at them the whole game lol. Maybe it's just Cloud's model that bugs me since the rest seem ok. His hair stands out too much or something.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
The proportions on those realistic character models don't jive at all with the world, Cloud looks like he's 3 feet tall. Lookin like an action figure moving around.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
u22a4CJ.jpg

H7MPtuP.jpg

yea that looks way better