• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
5xPKUOi.png

Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier
Credit for the thread title goes to Hailinel!
General information
  • Developer: Ateam Entertainment, Square Enix Creative Business Unit I​
  • Publisher: Square Enix​
  • Platforms: iOS, Android
  • Release date: November 17, 2021​
  • Genre: Battle royale (up to 75 players)​
  • Cost: Free to play (with microtransactions)​
  • Input methods: Touch controls, controllers​
Synopsis

In Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier, players embark on an intense battle royale experience where they must fight to be the last SOLDIER standing. To do so, players will use magic and special abilities along with ranged and melee weapons to triumph on the battlefield. Players can choose between various styles, such as Warrior, Sorcerer or Monk, each of whom boast unique special abilities. In addition to other SOLDIER candidates, players must also contend with ferocious monsters who inhabit the outskirts of the city. By defeating them, players can gain experience needed to level up and unlock new weapons. Classic Final Fantasy elements abound in the game, such as rideable chocobos, powerful espers, including Ifrit, to summon and materia, which enables players to cast devastating spells. Players can customize their characters' outfits and accessories, obtain various weapon and vehicle skins, emotes and more to create their own unique SOLDIER.

Narratively, The First Soldier takes place prior to the events of Final Fantasy VII. Thirty years before FFVII's story, the Shinra Electric Power Company began Project 0, which aimed to develop the most elite fighting force ever known. Several years and countless casualties later, their goal remained unrealized, but after twelve years, the program finally saw the creation of SOLDIER, an experimental corps of enhanced fighters. In First Soldier, the SOLDIER you create enters a virtual recreation of Midgar to hone their skills and rise through the ranks.

lHQEUXI.png

Playable styles (classes / jobs)
  • Warrior
    • Description: Warriors are masters of melee combat. Keep your distance if you face one!
    • Melee weapon: Sword
    • Trait: Fearless Charge - Increases the distance that you can target with a melee attack and allows you to charge at targets. A barrier that decreases damage is applied to you while charging.
  • Sorcerer
    • Description: Sorcerers excel at using materia in combat. Their Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder effects are stronger than other styles'!
    • Melee weapon: Staff
    • Trait: Magic Boost - Upgrading your melee weapon increases the damage dealt by materia, and the effects of Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder are augmented. MP recovers faster.
  • Ninja
    • Description: Covert style skilled in stealth and mobility, perfect for delivering surprise attacks.
    • Melee weapon: Shuriken
    • Trait: Acrobat - Allows you to jump again midjump or after falling from parkour.
  • Monk
    • Description: Monks have the highest survivability among the styles and make for excellent support fighters.
    • Melee weapon: Hand-to-Hand
    • Trait: Inner Strength - Automatically recovers a portion of the damage received. Also, once a match, when reduced to 20% HP or less, a recovery effect will activate and all of your melee attacks will become critical hits for a short time.
  • Ranger
    • Description: Rangers utilize superior tracking skills to hunt enemies and pick them off from a distance.
    • Melee weapon: Dagger
    • Trait: Ammunitions Expert - Increases inventory for ammo and the amount of ammo you find. Reload time is decreased by 20%.
  • Dragoon (added with Season 2)
    • Description: Dragoons bombard enemies from the sky and flank with powerful lance attacks.
    • Melee weapon: Spear
    • Trait: Sky Predator - Jumping from high altitudes will allow you to glide. Jump attacking from high altitudes will perform a divebomb attack.

a0AjrLA.png

Seasons

The current season is Season 2: Dominate the Sky, which ends on June 2, 2022. Information on this season can be found on the game's official website.

Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier features a new season approximately every three months. Each season has its own unique theme and introduce new content such as new styles, materia, and more. The ranks for solo and team ranked matches are decided at the end of each season.

Additionally, each season has its own season pass. As your season pass level increases from clearing challenges or spending Shinra Credits (premium currency), you will unlock various special rewards. Some rewards are available without spending money, while others can only be unlocked after you have purchased the paid version of the season pass for 1000 Shinra Credits. Information on rewards for the current season pass can be found on the game's official website.

ResetEra Player ID Numbers

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Trailers
Useful links

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone has suggestions for the OT, please let me know! I just wanted to get something decent out for people to discuss the game in. I'd like to add an FAQ to it at least. Let me know what you think.

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
I'm glad someone's finally done an OT for this game, good thread! I'm enjoying this game a lot so far, adjusting to playing a shooter on mobile has been odd but I'm getting to grips with it, and it's worth it for how silly and fun it is riding chocobos round midgar in a battle royale.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should try this out, but gotta delete shit on my phone first. real curious to see how it runs on a Galaxy S8

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for my Razer Kishi to get delivered before I really dive into this game (touch controls feel uncomfortable with how small my phone is), but I'm having a good time with it so far. Still not sure which version of the season pass I want to get though. Unlocking the first thirty levels for an extra $10 is really appealing to me...

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent OP! And I'm happy to have helped with the title.

I'm enjoying my time with First Soldier so far. It's odd to play such a game on a mobile device, and it eats my phone's battery for breakfast, but it plays really well and offers a good deal of customization for touch screen controls.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly shocked by how much I'm enjoying it. first non strategy/management mobile game I've stuck with. Although on a 13" iPad Pro and a controller, it's hardly a mobile game at that point!

5 wins out of 67 matches is a much better ratio than most battle royales for me. And slightly shocking considering how many matches I just do a challenge run with and figure I'll die pretty quick but get some melee damage in for the challenge or something.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah since it didn't work on bluestacks, I hopped on a kishi asap and it controls perfectly.

Almost had a win but got torched haha. Still gotta learn to deal with magic. Ive been pretty reliant on guns mainly.

Also why would anyone wear a bright skin or something, youd stick out on a sore thumb. Unless you're looking to fight i suppose.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
The game isn't awful. It's just awful to control. I wish it worked on Bluestacks.
It sounds like the BlueStacks team is trying to get the game working. Hopefully they're successful; being able to play this game on a bigger screen with a controller would be really nice.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how/if the xbox Elite v2 can have the triggers work in this game? Every other button is fine, it works fine in other apps but not here. I can use my Switch Pro controller but the grip thing I have for the xbox controller doesn't fit and the switch controller seems less responisive with button presses?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also why would anyone wear a bright skin or something, youd stick out on a sore thumb. Unless you're looking to fight i suppose.

People can probably see my purple hair and bright green chocobo running around. Doesn't matter, I'll still take them down.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
How much does it cost to pay 1000 shinra credits? And does the game have a type of story or solo mode? I'm very unfamiliar with those type of games.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
How much does it cost to pay 1000 shinra credits? And does the game have a type of story or solo mode? I'm very unfamiliar with those type of games.
1000 credits is $9.99 USD. 2800 is $19.99. And there's no story mode; the story that exists is more just to explain why there are SOLDIERs fighting each other in Midgar. You can play solo if you'd prefer not to be on a team, but you're still matched with 74 other players.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
1000 credits is $9.99 USD. 2800 is $19.99. And there's no story mode; the story that exists is more just to explain why there are SOLDIERs fighting each other in Midgar. You can play solo if you'd prefer not to be on a team, but you're still matched with 74 other players.

You perfectly answered my questions, thanks.

How generous or playable is the game as a free to play?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might be interesting to throw up some stat screens

Screenshot_20211121-215231_FF7FS.jpg

You perfectly answered my questions, thanks.

How generous or playable is the game as a free to play?

Very, since it's all cosmetic. You can still earn loopholes and other cosmetics just with progression. It certainly feels extra generous coming off of Halo Infinite.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I am wearing bright orange pants. I don't care. Come at me!

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of outfit unlocks having separate requirements for the masculine and feminine options. I just unlocked a cool-looking coat for getting five kills, but I can only equip it if I change to a masculine character; for the feminine equivalent, I have to survive to phase seven in a match. You should get both versions for the same challenge.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know of an ideal way to play this off the TV with a controller?

Zomba13

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of outfit unlocks having separate requirements for the masculine and feminine options. I just unlocked a cool-looking coat for getting five kills, but I can only equip it if I change to a masculine character; for the feminine equivalent, I have to survive to phase seven in a match. You should get both versions for the same challenge.

Completely agree, it's bullshit. Same with the gacha stuff, you can get male and female versions and they are a separate drop. I got super lucky and got the Red XIII Male outfit from my second free ticket pull thing.

~So yeah, what controllers are people using or is it just me that is having awful luck with controller compatibility?

Xbox Elite v2 - works fine in other things, triggers won't work in this game but the rest of the buttons and sticks are fine
Switch Pro - sometimes doesn't register button pushes, doesn't fit in my controller thingie I have for the xbox pads
DS4 - insane input lag on button pushes, doesn't fit with the thing I have but could work around that.

I don't think original Xbox One controllers have BT so can't try that. Could try Wii U pro?

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That really is the biggest negative of the game from my experience so far. It's a needless separation (but of course, we know why they did it).

Lol i brought that outfit too but for the hat. Im in full dark Shinra gear so i can blend in.
That probably is the smarter play, but I just like the outfit! And also, I feel somewhat unique standing in a lobby of everyone either in their starter gear, the Shinra coat mentioned above, or the SOLDIER 3rd Class gear that was given to early adopters.

I've seen a few people rocking the bright yellow chocobo hoodie, and I salute their bravery.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
~So yeah, what controllers are people using or is it just me that is having awful luck with controller compatibility?

Xbox Elite v2 - works fine in other things, triggers won't work in this game but the rest of the buttons and sticks are fine
Switch Pro - sometimes doesn't register button pushes, doesn't fit in my controller thingie I have for the xbox pads
DS4 - insane input lag on button pushes, doesn't fit with the thing I have but could work around that.

I don't think original Xbox One controllers have BT so can't try that. Could try Wii U pro?
That's odd re:the Elite 2 controller. Mine works 100%, triggers and all. (I'm on an iPhone 11 with the latest version of iOS, for whatever that's worth)

Also, the very first line of Xbox One controllers don't have bluetooth, but if you have a later one, it's got BT. Easiest way to tell which one you have is to look at the Xbox button. If there's a glossy strip along that top part of the controller, it's the older one, but if it's matte like the rest of the controller, it should have bluetooth.

Zomba13

Oct 25, 2017
That's odd re:the Elite 2 controller. Mine works 100%, triggers and all. (I'm on an iPhone 11 with the latest version of iOS, for whatever that's worth)

Also, the very first line of Xbox One controllers don't have bluetooth, but if you have a later one, it's got BT. Easiest way to tell which one you have is to look at the Xbox button. If there's a glossy strip along that top part of the controller, it's the older one, but if it's matte like the rest of the controller, it should have bluetooth.

Yeah I have an original Xbox One pad. I'm on Android somethingorother and the pad works fine in other apps on the phone that allow controllers/triggers but not here for some reason. Every other button works and is as responsive as you'd expect. It's really annoying because every other pad I have has some negative with it. I did find my Wii U Pro but that won't pair to my phone because of ??? Asks for a code, put in 0000,1111,1234 nothing. Looked up online and there is an app to help with it, except the controllers won't pair with my phone make for some reason. And that really sucks because if that worked it'd actually fit the phone clip I have!

I can't play with touch screen, killed myself too many times trying to use materia. Best I can do is try and make a harness for my clip and Switch Pro pad and put up with the occasional dropped input, or use the xbox elite v2 with auto fire and never snipe.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
If I could remap my controls I think I'd actually play this. Surprisingly good but the controller layout is awful
Completely agree, it's bullshit. Same with the gacha stuff, you can get male and female versions and they are a separate drop. I got super lucky and got the Red XIII Male outfit from my second free ticket pull thing.

Dualsense is working well on the IPad. No lag or anything

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
My opinion trying this while having avoided other games of it's nature is, the core gameplay loop has a lot going for it to open up multiple strategies for folks wanting to play different ways, up to including unlocking different passive/active abilities to use in place of the generally very effective base ones of each class.

Materia opens up tactical ways to control a fight via splash damage, area denial or even healing or distractions, beating up enemies to level up quicker and accumulate gil for upgrades (or teammate revival if playing teams) brings some additional MOBA feel that helps keep you doing stuff rather then waiting to gank other players, and the Boss apperances and Supply Drops act as functional chokepoints for players to both fight to grab or make use of to clean up the greedy.

It's a highly competently made battle royale with a lot of parts that work together very well. Even an element that made one short lived 90's gameshow battle royale fun, launching yourself super duper high in the air by setting a trampoline, is represented in this with the Aero spell.

As much as I hate the monitization of these games, battle passes being sold to you to maximize your rewards and dangle things in your face to tempt you with all the rewards you COULD have if you spent money, I'm happy with the actual gameplay of the game, and find it a fun time.

I hope it finds success despite my negative feelings on the genre as a whole, and look forward to PvE content being implimented so I can pretend it's a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus' DEEPGROUND online mission multiplayer mode (from the japanese release).

Also, yeah they are REAL light on the "Lootboxes" in this, holy heck. You get your first ticket to roll three times at class level SEVEN of the five classes, and you'd otherwise spend money on credits to roll the dice on stuff. They released a one-time "thank you for playing" bonus of three rolls one time, that cannot be rerolled to get a nice outfit to start with by the way so you snoozed you losed, but I hope they get more generous over time with that stuff.

You can buy music and emotes from moogles occasionally after matches, but I doubt they'll have anything super interesting in the shop anytime soon.

I've long held the belief that cosmetic monitization isn't a problem due to not affecting game balance or fun for people enjoying free to play, and not screwing people over by giving whales (people who spend tons of money on games with randomized monitization like Gatcha or Lootboxes) an advantage...

...But, I have become totally against these manipulative practices fully years ago now that the argument doesn't matter in the least anymore because the sick monsters publishing these things target children and willingly participate in stoking culture in schools that hold these "cosmetics" as highly valuble and desirable between children, and leaving those who choose to not pay or cannot pay to have the same basic crap they'd started with, always subtle manipulated by the flashy costumes of their peers to take one step closer to taking their parents credit card or demanding their allowance in V-Bucks for acceptance.

It's gross and terrifying how much these games have infected the lives of so many young folks, and become another wonderful weaponization of Digital Scarcity, filling the pocketbooks of massive Ghouls while leaving a generation of adults with massive financial regret and gambling addictions as they enter a time worse for them then the previous generation, and will become even worse for the next.

All this to say, I am deeply disappointed in how much SQEX, like so many game companies, are chasing the dollar and doing shitty things "under the radar" with proven success, and selling out their IP's in the process for it (plus stupid and highly dangerous fad shit to impress stockholders like freaking NFT's). I really don't know why I even bother with these games when the eventuality is that they'll fund efforts to dismantle a generation's ability to resist commercialization and eventually (not so eventually with many companies) propaganda.

This game, and so many others they've done over the last decade, represents their lack of respect for their audience. Pushing stuff like this and mobile gatcha games, regardless of the quality of gameplay and love and support from developers, just means in the end that lives ruined for profit are worthwhile to them, and they alongside any other company engaging in this terrible business model of fake reward gambling should be considered a danger to humanity.

Hate the shareholders for seeking profits from ruining people, Pity the Developers for making the best game they can under dangerous directives, Respect their work but Don't Deny the Evil of what it contributes to.

Anyone playing this isn't a part of the problem, I'm not stupid enough to say that. Games like these are crazy fun with friends, and enjoying a free game is a blessing in a time where money is more valuable then ever.

But just as being assured of massive intelligence blinds oneself to propaganda and insulates oneself to compassion, denying the danger and true human cost of these things we take as normal, just to protect your pride in your investment or the value of the experience YOU have compared to more addiction prone folks certainly IS being a part of the problem, and fighting it with your words and actions is important.

I couldn't care less what you do in your spare time in private if you recognize and decry the evil in these to help support an eventual end to them. If that means cutting them out of your life to stay true to that ideal, that's your business and I greatly respect it.

Personal Responsibility was a lie sold to push blame for corperate evil on the consumer, they did it wi recycling, and they're doing it with free to play.

In the end, I hope one day these can be abolished and the parts that engage people can exist independent of any monitization. Earning exp for rewards existed before battle passes, random chance on useful and unique things has been in RPGs forever, and earnable cosmetics have been a thing for decades.

Forgive me for being overly dramatic, but an issue like this provokes it from me.

Anyway, bottom line, game's good folks. While I'd strongly suggest never buying into the battle pass and supporting such a terrible business model, Especially when they let you pay like three times as much to "skip the wait on cool things" by jumping ahead 30 levels (cool I get to play less of the game, what a good use of 40-50 bucks), I'll say it's nice at least that they'll hook you up with the next one for free at lvl 80, and refund half the credits spent of a normal non-skipping pass a few dozen levels after.

So if you are REALLY wanting to give it a shot, play as much as you can free, and only invest in the battle pass when you know, "oh yeah, this is a game I'll play for months, it's too fun." Because then you're 15 bucks or whatever will go a looong way.

Have fun folks, and remember, sniping on the crags is awesome, support your buddies as a ranger and get the purple sniper rifle out : P (also when you target enemies through your scope after a few levels, you mark them when you're a ranger, and that's super useful in teams if you're set up right)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Game's fun, but having all unlocks tied to the season pass is kinda.... iffy.

They're not. There's also a lootbox system with free ones earned, and XP mastery for each class that has a lot of unlockables. You can also trade in various items from monster kills for other season theme cosmetics, this season being Moogle gear.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah. I already got a few emotes via crates.

I have to say they did nail the presentation. Having bombing run blasting while halo dropping with Midgar 11AM noted. I can't wait to see what other maps they'll have.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
They're not. There's also a lootbox system with free ones earned, and XP mastery for each class that has a lot of unlockables. You can also trade in various items from monster kills for other season theme cosmetics, this season being Moogle gear.
The tokens needed to roll for lootboxes without spending money for premium currency are tied to the season pass. The Style unlockables are... very small by comparison, and the various themed items from pieces obtained by killing monsters are tied to the season. It's all FOMO, all the time.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The tokens needed to roll for lootboxes are tied to the season pass. The Style unlockables are... very small by comparison, and the various themed items from pieces obtained by killing monsters are tied to the season. It's all FOMO, all the time.

They're not. I've gotten lootbox tokens from the secret boxes you find in the world and from levelling up classes. Same with the monster items, with the addition of having to team up to take down the big world monsters for the rarer ones.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Me: *Finds the Jukebox in the church.*

Also Me: *Plays Under the Rotting Pizza on that sacred ground.*

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone. I've come across them already playing.
Same. What I haven't had chance to try is seeing if I can change the music playing on an already active jukebox.

One other thing I discovered earlier is that the save point benches from FF7R that are scattered around the map act as healing stations. If you sit on one you can get a full health restore at no cost.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
They're not. I've gotten lootbox tokens from the secret boxes you find in the world and from levelling up classes. Same with the monster items, with the addition of having to team up to take down the big world monsters for the rarer ones.
I've literally never gotten a single lootbox token outside of the free season pass ones and the one they gave out for the facebook share campaign, and I've gotten like a dozen secret boxes. Not that I doubt they're there but they are not plentiful.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
One other thing I discovered earlier is that the save point benches from FF7R that are scattered around the map act as healing stations. If you sit on one you can get a full health restore at no cost.
Huh, thanks for the tip. That's cool.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
Tried this for a bit the other day. Could not get into it (plus I found the quality to be pretty mediocre).

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just running around on my chocobo with 20 people left, game suddenly ends and I finish 11th.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying this but man, I want it to work on Bluestacks so I can play with a bigger screen.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Installed it but immediately forgot to try it this weekend, whoops.

Already playing enough gacha on my phone that I doubt I'll stick with it but it seems interesting enough to try some matches. Though I do not expect it to run particularly well on my iPhone 8, so I'll have to see how that goes.

EDIT: oh right, I completely forgot that you can use controllers easily on iOS now; guess I'll see how well the DualSense works when I try it later