• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so i purchased the ultimania archive book (great book, i recommend)
link to it:
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Ultimania-Archive-2/dp/1506706622

and there's a bunch of interesting stuff like, mako reactor first concept art is literaly a nuclear power plant, also it confirms once and for all the discussion about the translation and that aerith was zack girlfriend . There's kitase and toriyama story ideas for FFVII,
kitase wanted a story that you would play in the past with a father and in thefuture with the son where the past and the present choices you make affect the story of each other.
toriyama wanted a traditional story of chosen ones by the gods, where normal people doesnt know if the gods exists for real.
Also there's the famous snes pic of FF7. A different type of slums and in one early image you can read "america" , maybe a reference to FF7 to be set in US.

another interesting stuff is the unused content i never knew before like this monster:
7b-onyx_dragon_unused.jpg

its called the Onyx dragon.
description "It was to be used as a living weapon prototype for ultima weapon".

there's also 2 unused Limit break arts
one for barret thar paralyze the enemy foes called "Paralyzer"
one for aerith, that would boost attack called "maiden whisper"

another unused content is the art of 2 marlene's friends, and a different type of soldier design.

but the most interesting to me was this:

fzE2DgI.jpg

so what it changes?
There's 2 new areas:
- Museum
- Volcano Region (probably reduced to that map in the statues)
2 area changed
- thermal region to swamp
- glacier range to great glacier
a name change of elm to kalm
No Mideel too. And also no KOTR island.

Maybe other people already knew that since the book isnt quite new in japanese (but its kinda new in english, released december last year). But i thought that to be very interesting and it would be cool if something of that could appear in the remake.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.

That father/son idea sort of sounds like the Laguna and Squall relationship from VIII (even though I don't think they officially confirmed Laguna was Squall's father, just heavily implied it).

Zack/Aerith was also expanded on in Crisis Core.

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
Interesting.

That father/son idea sort of sounds like the Laguna and Squall relationship from VIII (even though I don't think they officially confirmed Laguna was Squall's father, just heavily implied it).

Zack/Aerith was also expanded on in Crisis Core.
It was confirmed in the same book I'm pretty sure.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait this book is in English?? What the actual fuck!!!!

What about Volume 1 and Volume 3 with the other FFs?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I think that map confirms that the Ancient Forest that's near Cosmo Canyon in the final game used to be the entrance to the Forgotten Capital. The Ancient Forest's files in the game put it in that area, and it ends in a cave exit that awkwardly boots you back to the world map. The entrance to Forgotten Capital has a cave exit with a vine hanging down from it that you can't access.
93pIjK1.jpg

The "Museum" is in the place where Lucrecia's Cave is in the final game. 2 ideas.
Museum is just what they called the cave internally.
The Museum where you get the key to the Ancient Pyramid was intended to be separate from the Gold Saucer.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Museum was a shrine dedicated to old FFX Spira artifacts.

Also because I always post it in ff7 cut content threads:

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that map confirms that the Ancient Forest that's near Cosmo Canyon in the final game used to be the entrance to the Forgotten Capital. The Ancient Forest's files in the game put it in that area, and it ends in a cave exit that awkwardly boots you back to the world map. The entrance to Forgotten Capital has a cave exit with a vine hanging down from it that you can't access.
93pIjK1.jpg

The "Museum" is in the place where Lucrecia's Cave is in the final game. 2 ideas.
Museum is just what they called the cave internally.
The Museum where you get the key to the Ancient Pyramid was intended to be separate from the Gold Saucer.
interesting, that forest seemed out of place

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most notable unused content from FFVII is Fujin and Raijin, who were scrapped for being too similar antagonists to the Turks. They, of course, ended up in FFVIII instead.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that stood out to me as a kid was the 1/35th soldier toy set or whatever it was in Midgar, drove me crazy that i couldn't collect them all.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The game is missing a whole opening segment that never went used that chronicled Cloud's first arrival to Midgar after Zack's death. He was found dying by Tifa next to the train station, the same place that Aerith' mother was waiting for her husband to come but never did

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish more was shown from this.
I don't expect it was very far along in development, but surely there is more than this single screen somewhere...
this is also early development:
latest

this is a relationship chart
barret name is blow
tifa and sephiroth are siblings
those 3 below are Tseng, Reno and Rude and they are after tifa
the 3 empty squares are "guardians" and they protect tifa
sephiroth looks like vincent
above sephiroth theres the word "the three last beings"
and the 2 figures at his right are his comrades

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this is also early development:
latest

this is a relationship chart
barret name is blow
tifa and sephiroth are siblings
those 3 below are Tseng, Reno and Rude and they are after tifa
the 3 empty squares are "guardians" and they protect tifa
sephiroth looks like vincent
above sephiroth theres the word "the three last beings"
and the 2 figures at his right are his comrades

Wait, I always read that Aerith was originally Sephiroth's sister, not Tifa.

It always explained the similar hair design and naming convention.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I really hope FF7R includes some cut content. I still wonder if they originally planned to have Aerith savable or resurrectable or whatever. The full limit break tree she had makes me wonder. It would be super controversial if they did it, as an optional quest and second ending, but you know it would give closure to some people too. If it was optional then purists could simply not do that quest.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Was afraid I was going to walk in and have the cut Marlene panty scene in the op.
FFVII-early-concept-with-characters-from-FFVI.jpg

they used locke for test
Very cool! I actually had never seen this. Yeah I imagine this didn't get real far since the PS1 was already out by the time they'd have started working on this.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yeah, it seems tifa was suposed to be aerith early in development, then they created aerith and changed that.

Weird, that contradicts the reports I read where Tifa was created much later, and wasn't even a party member until the last minute of development (which consequently is why there are tons of unused concepts and story beats involving the character).

Is it possible that Aerith was originally given Tifa's name (but not design...I know for sure her final look didn't come before Aerith was finalized)?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
This book has a lot of translation issues so don't take everything in it as true.

They were so lazy they used a photo of Ultimecia's K speech mistranslation.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, that contradicts the reports I read where Tifa was created much later, and wasn't even a party member until the last minute of development (which consequently is why there are tons of unused concepts and story beats involving the character).

Is it possible that Aerith was originally given Tifa's name (but not design...I know for sure her final look didn't come before Aerith was finalized)?
idk, the book only shows that pic with the translations i talked here, and says its early development

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

And it has the Turks pointing to Tifa in that diagram. That early Sephiroth design also looks like it was reused for Vincent.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also isn't that Vincent on the chart there and not Sephiroth? Or was Sephiroth actually going to have Vincent's design?

Oddly enough, Tifa and Vincent also originally being siblings also justifies why they share similar features as well.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Also isn't that Vincent on the chart there and not Sephiroth? Or was Sephiroth actually going to have Vincent's design?

Oddly enough, Tifa and Vincent also originally being siblings also justifies why they share similar features as well.
It says Sephiroth (セフィロス) under the portrait.