• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
"Aged the worst"

89p2Gzx.png
images

vs.

latest
images
Yup mind was blown by the jump from 7 to 8 in the graphics department

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Waltz for the moon was the music i danced with my wife on our wedding.

So yeah, i like this game a lot. Full blown remaster would be sweet, although i dont have the time ti get addicted to triple triad again, like i did when i was young.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
final fantasy 7 is funny they are still learning how to create 3d graphics for example:
last battle model/ normal battle model
8DD9E97477BDA8C818A0410BF5C9FBE8A2FB3F63

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Still my 2nd favorite FF game, only behind FF VII. I haven't played it in a minute... I should fire it up and give it a go sometime.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Having finished playing triple triad (FOR NOW) I have decided I'm going to do a super low level run through the first couple of discs, to take advantage of the GF bonus stats. Should keep things fresh

I resolved to finish my FFVIII cosplay (Squall jacket) this year though it's probably more closer to Dissidia/FFXIV flavor of Squall's jacket...

(I have a very strong attachment with the game because I got the PC version in 2000 and I happened to have a giant tri color aussie who looks just like Angelo. Then somehow I wound up with another tricolor aussie (in mini size!) this year....)

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying your posts about your play through Wazzy. Just makes me nostalgic. It's amazing how a game with rave reviews and tons of sales can still be misunderstood 20 years later. It's the perfect examples of when memes become reality instead of what actually happened.

Anyway I don't mind people not liking the game since they are a vocal minority, FF8 has always had a great cult fan following that has endured longer than just about every single game in the series. The weirdest part is square seems to totally acknowledge that sometimes by frequently evoking squall and all that in other games but yet what bugs me is that THEY seem to not give it the props it deserves. Doesn't get similar treatments. Very weird.

Have they acknowledged the anniversary in any meaningful way? Maybe they are waiting until later in the year to show something. I long for a remake with even just dissidia or mobius graphics, but that is pipe dreaming.
Thanks!

I actually finished a couple days ago to cap off the Anniversary month. I'll probably go a bit more into the playthrough when i get some time. I'm currently finishing off the achievements which I have about 5 or 6 left.

Most accounts acknowledged the anniversary in some form except SE which was disappointing. Mobius has been running a pretty great VIII collab event for the 20th but it probably won't come to Global for another 6-7 months. It has voice acting and uses locations, music and callbacks to VIII. You can check the collab out on YouTube.

I want a remake but I really hope they aim for the original style of the FMV's. Dissidia works for the style it uses but as a remake for VIII its hollow in comparison. Dead eyes with design changes that look messy and the movements feel more unnatural. Mobius handles Squall so much better.

At least put the battle models for FFVII if you want to he fair.
Why would that be fair? The graphics comparison used the regular models for both games except for Seifer who is using his battle model which is very close.

If anything it shows how poorly VII aged when you see they used three different models and one randomly detailed Cloud.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
One of my most hyped titles of all time.

At the time it felt like the game was taking forever to come out and I kept re-watcheing thumb-nail sized videos downloaded from IGN over and over again.
I actually ended up forgetting that it was coming until one day I saw it on the store shelves (launch month Europe). Looking back however I guess it was first revealed spring/summer 1998... That's a relatively quick or normal turn-around from reveal until launch by today's standards but it felt like forever back then.

I used my savings and called my FF buddy who was living in the next town over and he took the first bus (this was a Friday) and we played day and night that weekend. At first I had a negative graphical shock because it didn't measure up to my expectations based on those thumbnail videos but I was over it in an hour. Fantastic game.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Thanks!

I actually finished a couple days ago to cap off the Anniversary month. I'll probably go a bit more into the playthrough when i get some time. I'm currently finishing off the achievements which I have about 5 or 6 left.

Most accounts acknowledged the anniversary in some form except SE which was disappointing. Mobius has been running a pretty great VIII collab event for the 20th but it probably won't come to Global for another 6-7 months. It has voice acting and uses locations, music and callbacks to VIII. You can check the collab out on YouTube.

I want a remake but I really hope they aim for the original style of the FMV's. Dissidia works for the style it uses but as a remake for VIII its hollow in comparison. Dead eyes with design changes that look messy and the movements feel more unnatural. Mobius handles Squall so much better.

Why would that be fair? The graphics comparison used the regular models for both games except for Seifer who is using his battle model which is very close.

If anything it shows how poorly VII aged when you see they used three different models and one randomly detailed Cloud.

Nah, FFVIII's battle models were very detailed vs the field models. Like come on man. Same with FFIV-VI.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, FFVIII's battle models were very detailed vs the field models. Like come on man. Same with FFIV-VI.
Both models are detailed. The battle models more so with the faces.

VII has no consistency between its field and battle models so using the battle models to dispute the disparity in graphics makes no sense. Not only that but VII has barely any detail with it's battle models and the only one to have it is the updated Cloud model used at the end of the game. They couldn't even accurately portray color on the models.

Here is an example of regular models versus battle:
tumblr_nafaxjz7Ea1qztemoo1_500.gif

Last edited:

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
just started replaying this and there's a very obvious pause when dr kadowaki remembers your teacher's name, do you think they were going to let you rename every character? it's kinda' weird that they didn't to begin with.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Someone ran the opening through an AI upscaler and it does a pretty good job. There are some artifacts, and the petal scene doesn't like it too much, but overall it's nice and holds up really well.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, I lost Quistis, Ifrit and Minimog in a winner takes all card game. Unfortunately I had been playing for 30 mins without saving beforehand, so I had to play ten more games to win them all back.

Feb 4, 2018
Okay I just started playing this for the first time thanks to Wazzy 's gifs in that last Nintendo Direct thread...this game is amazing holy crap. Love the characters, the setting, music, everything. Junctioning was confusing at first but I get it now. Something tells me I'm gonna be up late tonight playing lol.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I just started playing this for the first time thanks to Wazzy 's gifs in that last Nintendo Direct thread...this game is amazing holy crap. Love the characters, the setting, music, everything. Junctioning was confusing at first but I get it now. Something tells me I'm gonna be up late tonight playing lol.
tumblr_m7smiddVOT1rxcqhto1_500.gif

I'm happy to hear you started and that you're enjoying it so far!

If you ever have any questions obviously ask away in here. There is so much fun and quirky stuff that I'm sure you will love. Make sure when you finish the game to post your thoughts! I always love hearing peoples reactions to the ending which is one of the best endings in the series.

Feb 4, 2018
tumblr_m7smiddVOT1rxcqhto1_500.gif

I'm happy to hear you started and that you're enjoying it so far!

If you ever have any questions obviously ask away in here. There is so much fun and quirky stuff that I'm sure you will love. Make sure when you finish the game to post your thoughts! I always love hearing peoples reactions to the ending which is one of the best endings in the series.
Thank you!! It's such a weird and wonderful game so far haha.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Still my favorite JRPG of all time. I was blown away back then. Graphics, cutscenes, soundtrack, characters, story, side-content (Triple Triad!), atmosphere, setting. What a crazy, unforgettable ride.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
When I was kid a liked this game so much. I still have the guide in one of my closet.
Only thing I didn't like was the use of magic with the Junctions System. After a certain point of the game I never used magic. Only the one that increased chance of having the limit.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
For all the complaints people have about the game, the sections when it's at it's most intense, the Dollet mission, the gardens battle , the whole assassination section, there's nothing else like that in the series

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently on the Dollet misson. Killed off zell and squall (who are still at initial level) and going around killing everyone with just seifer to level the GFs.

Brings back memories when I used to do this for Breath of Fire 3 to take advantage of the masters from lvl1 (except with FFVIII it's to take advantage of the GF bonus stats ability).

Also Seifer is absurdly overpowered lol

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Jesus

I talked earlier about thinking about trying to get yamaha XG music (best way to play the game imo) Unfortunately since the steam release replaced the midi with garbage MP3s, I've had to find my old copy and get it working. Has taken me the better part of the day.

Thought I'd list the process for anyone who had an XG module and was interested.

First installed the game, and then Aali's opengl drivers from qhimm. The game works perfectly...except it won't output to my midi module. It just outputs using the default Microsoft option.
I didn't think it was my setup (using coolsoft midimapper to route through a roland UM-ONE MK2 to the Yamaha module - mine is a MU2000EX), as that has always worked perfectly with dosbox, scummvm, etc - and amusingly enough, the chocobo.exe minigame that comes with FF8 did work with it, straight off the bat.

coolsoft midimapper is needed because Windows 10 butchered MIDI support, and a third part program is needed to choose a default midi output.
roland UM-ONE MK2 is my "USB to Midi" convertor of choice, since I'm using a laptop at the moment so don't have a motherboard slot for a midi card.

Anyway, Chocobo doesn't need any configuration to work, but for FF8 itself, there is a configurator, and in it the only option you get for midi is "Microsoft Synthesizer", which doesn't route the music through my synth. Looks like in years past this was a known issue, as I see decade old programs that give you a custom configurator here:

https://ffsf.aaron-kelley.net/download_8.html

I managed to get this working by putting it, and the "PlayFF8" into xp compat and running as admin. Not sure if I lose some of the benfits of the OpenGL drive this way, but I finally get the wonderful Yamaha XG midi music.

I am now playing Triple Triad against the turnstile guard while Quistis is waiting to go to the Fire Cavern. :)

Lol holy crap that site takes me back! :D

May 26, 2018
At least the Odin of the FF8 world

Then again we don't know how old that Gilgamesh is either since he is the same guy in a majority of his appearances

That said, how BS it was of Seifer to just have a technique to reverse Zantetsuken
This is still one of my best wtf childhood memories. When that battle with Seifer begins and Odin appears out of nowhere, I got super pumped and then he gets smacked...I remember being in total disbelief.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
So... what's up with Ellone's powers? They're not sorcery since she's not a sorceress, they're not para-magic since she doesn't need to be junctioned with a GF, they're not a limit break since she doesn't have to be in critical situations or be using Aura...

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, its been 20 years already ?

It's one of my very first games on PS1 that my dad gave me. This still remains my favorite FF.

I still remember playing this through in black and white as my TV back then isn't compatible with my PS1.

Yeah I had a tough time beating the monsters in Ragnarok lol

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... what's up with Ellone's powers? They're not sorcery since she's not a sorceress, they're not para-magic since she doesn't need to be junctioned with a GF, they're not a limit break since she doesn't have to be in critical situations or be using Aura...

That'd be an interesting story to tell. Like, the only things that can do something similar to Ellone are Guardian Forces. Ellone connects one mind to another, trained people Junction themselves with Guardians, and the Junction Machine mimics her power.

Maybe she's related to Guardian Forces? There's a story there.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I actually prefer the blocky 'chibi' whatever you call it FFVII looks. Has way more charm to it IMO that I really like.

VIII is still great though, really hope we get a remaster one day. Can't just have it lost to the world for years like III ended up being while others got multiple ports until the DS one saved us!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
A random annoying thing about this game is the physical PAL version of the VIII had a bunch of issues on PS3 and some releases just straight up didn't work with the back compat. I had to buy it digital lol

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time, glaring flaws and all. If Square ever completes the FF7 remake and actually winds up doing a good job I'd like nothing more than to see FF8 get the same treatment. It really needs a battle system/mechanics overhaul as well as logical changes to its nonsensical story.