• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still my favorite FF. VII was my first FF and it was life changing VIII came out and somehow exceeded that. Some of Uematsu's best work. This is up there with my favorite games of all time. Please, SE, bring this to the current gen of consoles.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I remember playing this at launch and while it wasn't my favorite FF it's also not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. The soundtrack is really good and probably underappreciated because of how divisive the mechanics were in the game itself.

Of all the PS1 era FF games I want to replay this is the one I most want to play again just because I want to revisit it and see it with a better understanding of where the franchise was at the time, where it's gone since, and just a better appreciation for ambitious but flawed games in general.

PIkkonX

Oct 27, 2017
And I was just complaining about this game not getting the respect it deserves. We spent many nights being loud as hell while trying to power up the summons (via Select and Square I think?) Also an amazing soundtrack that I still listen to pretty frequently.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
It gets a lot of grief because of how broken the junction system was but back when I was a dumb kid with no internet I wasn't going for the lionheart on disc one, I was playing the story normally having a blast. And now I know how to 'break' the game I'm happy that's an option for me.

Great game. Part of the golden era of final fantasy.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry but it had to be done.

You don't like this joke? Get them to do a remake then.

e5f1dc383ad22916706cba468599a09d--final-fantasy-funny-final-fantasy-viii.jpg
tumblr_njlaay1zT51t4tkhko2_1280.png

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
It gets a lot of grief because of how broken the junction system was but back when I was a dumb kid with no internet I wasn't going for the lionheart on disc one, I was playing the story normally having a blast. And now I know how to 'break' the game I'm happy that's an option for me.

Great game. Part of the golden era of final fantasy.
If anything, the issue is that a lot of people are borderline OCD. They felt compelled to draw 99 of each spell for each character.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone!

Remember you can click a lot of banners and they will link to videos, music or art.

Also it's only 1am in JP but we riot if they say nothing today. We should hashtag whereisFFVIIIport?

Wazzy a lot of the text in the OP is invisible in Light Theme
Fuck light theme. Only dark theme ERA may view this thread.

okay thanks I'll fix it

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

spent more time playing triple triad more than fighting monsters

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Means 19 years since I played it. I got it on my birthday after release, so February 21, 2000.

This game is what got me into Final Fantasy and JRPGs as a whole. From that first CG scene to the last I was fucking hooked.

I tried getting into FF before this. My friend gave me FF6 once and another time FF7 to borrow. Couldn't get into them and got stuck on FF7 (I was a moron and didn't realize you could equip the cure materia). In any case I was actually excited for 8, since I saw the magazine scans in his room.

I've replayed it a few other times, more than most JRPGs and I think it still holds up pretty well. The music is amazing. Probably my number 1 from Uematsu, but it's a fight. I absolutely loved the battle system. The characters were great at the time. Yeah the story got a bit weird, but I loved the premise and the beats.

The Dollet mission at the beginning will never cease to be bonkers. Fuck I love this game.

Oh, and we had our pianist play Eyes on Me at my wedding. It was the centerpiece. And when we were walking out he started with the chords for the Final Fantasy victory tune before sequining into other songs (more traditional stuff and stuff by The Beatles, etc)

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
First FF I've ever finished. Dont renember much of the story. But I do remember having a killer juction setup. And that I advanced through the story too far into disc 4. I never had a backup save. When I realized that, I decided to refine all my cards since theres no one left to play with the card game in disc 4. I never enjoyed or understood the card game anyway.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Probably in the top 5 intro of all time. It was the first FF that I played and because of that it will always have a special place in my heart despite its flaws

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FF8 was the first Final Fantasy I was aware of the release of after becoming a fan of FF(meaning FF7 was my first FF, played it a year or so after its release).

So... 20th anniversary of me being a FF fan too I suppose.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Not my favorite FF but I loved it enough to purchase Triple Triad card sets and played it after school with my fellow lunchmate pariah.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately probably one of my least favorites FF games, I still liked it. Always though about giving it a second chance, maybe someday I do it.

By the way are there any cool mods for the steam version?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I always liked about FFVIII is the amount of character development and attention to little details. A lot of it is totally optional. For example you can learn more about some characters through the books they check out at the Balamb library.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I think i've spent more hours playing Triple Triad than playing the actual game. Ahhh ok just one more match to get this rare card, just one more.... 20 matches later...

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic thread Wazzy!

Easily my favourite game of all time. Love its world, its story, its characters, its music etc etc god I love it all so much. It's a crime that this game gets the hate that it does and that we're still waiting for it to be ported to current consoles.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The greatest game ever made and one of the few games I can arguably say changed my life. I don't think I can quite put into words how important this was for me as a kid (it helped me learn how to read and write as a first grader and opened my eyes to a whole new level of magic and fantasy). I replay this almost once every single year. Fantastic game.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Why won't square go back and remaster the backgrounds to 4K? Seems like it would be cheaper than a remake and make these games "usable" to the masses for a very long time.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
My first FF, and probably the one I beat the most because of that.

I have not played this game since doing a VII-to-X run back in like 2003. Do hope they re-release it again, or I'll just capitalize on other re-releases and use that as a reason to get into it again. :p

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
FFVIII is a really good game. The junction system may be broken, but the story and setting is pretty unique.

Great graphics, interesting story and characters, and also outstanding music.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Played it recently for the first time this christmas as I'm going through a good chunk of the franchise right now, and I thought it was absolutely dreadful, primarily because the story it's a disaster that makes no sense with no coherency whatsoever (both in universe and in terms of story structure) and the characters are annoying as all hell, almost without exception. Seifer has to be one of the worst written "rival character" ever made(if he even counts as that, the story doesn't know what the hell to do with him)

The soundtrack is fantastic though, my favorite among the ones I've been playing (from VI to X, right now I'm 10 hours deep into XII), so it has that going for it, at least.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Triple Triad was the best mini game, but the random rule can go to hell.

I remember spending hours grinding for cards in Galbadian Garden for ingredients to summon Doomtrain.

I never played the game properly I used a cheat codes for infinite gil and infinite The End and apocalypse magic. Junction those and have max attack and HP. It was the only way I could get some of the GFS.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Thank you for this amazing thread, FFVIII was an unforgettable experience, the game's masterful art is still amazing to this day.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People say FFVIII is too different from the classic FFs but in fact it had a lot of allusions and references to classic FF stuff, it just wasn't as overt and in-your-face as FFIX.

For example the metallic half-circle holding Edea's cape is based on Wrexsoul's own outfit from FFVI:

FHHUEvo.jpg
pbiovhR.png

Zell looks like a younger version of Tetsuya Nomura's Sabin from FFVI:

BvMsebE.png

The Ragnarok flying theme sounds like the unused flying ship theme from FFV:

The Mayor of Fishermans Horizon has small aircraft models that look like the Tiny Bronco from FFVII, the Blackjack from FFVI, the Lunar Whale from FFIV, and the Nautilus of FFIII.

And of course there's Gilgamesh from FFV, evil moon from FFIV, Hyne from FFIII, etc.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cheers to FFVIII on the milestone!

I think I love every FF game from VI on aside from XIII (which I don't hate, but I certainly don't love), but VI and VIII probably tie for my favorite cast in the entire series.

I may have to revisit this game sometime this year on my Vita. I do hope that things turn around and it does eventually see rereleases in the same style as the FFVII and IX rereleases on mobile, PS4, and soon Switch and XB1!