• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I stand by my totally baseless opinion that everything in this game is either really good, or really bad.

Soundtrack? REALLY GOOD
Story? REALLY BAD
Graphics/Art? REALLY GOOD (for a PSX game)
Junction Mechanics? REALLY BAD
Triple Triad? REALLY GOOD

I can't recommend it to a casual fan as a "good Final Fantasy" game, but fuck it, I love it deep down.

You have a point.
Characters? JUMP OFF A CLIFF BAD.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I can't recommend it to a casual fan as a "good Final Fantasy" game, but fuck it, I love it deep down.
How I recommend the game to casual fans depends on age, really. I tell my high school students to play it as soon as they can, because there is never going to be a time in their life that game will ever resonate with them like middle/high school. For my college students, I usually tell them to probably pass on it unless they are already interested, because it's not going to really click as well.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I will always love you 8, no matter what people say. This thread hit me hard with the nostalgia.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish that Triple Triad was a real TCG on mobile. It truly was the goat for card games.

There's an unofficial version which uses legit assets on the iOS store that even has IAP. Not sure why it's still up, or why Square haven't released their own

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Love it. Don't care if it's broken or that the story falls apart with the GF forgetfulness.

It still has one of the best soundtracks of all FF/any game I've ever played.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
If it didn't have the whole "we all really knew each other just forgot" this would have been a forever classic.

It's called "Childhood amnesia"

This is just a false narrative surrounding the memory-loss.
Most kids under 6 don't remember their childhood friends if they lose contact and don't have photos or other memorials. Kids under 3 don't remember anything apart from learned behavior and muscle memory. Kids between 4 and 6 have difficulties retaining specific memories if they don't repeat them. Hell, you have cases of orphans, aged 4 to 6, who, 10 years later, don't remember they were adopted.

You mostly "remember" part of your early childhood because Adults talk about them.
I certainly don't remember my infamous flowerbed-digging adventure with my cousin when we were 5. The. Adults. Remember! My father had a knack talking about infamous or embarrassing things we did as little kids. He was positively giddy telling our extended family or guests about them. We cousins always questioned the severity or accuracy of these tales, but asking the more grounded and serious family members, they told us those tales were true.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-do-children-start-making-long-term-memories/
https://www.popsci.com/blog-network/kinderlab/birth-memory-why-kids-forget-what-happened-age-7

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
The first final fantasy I played to completion, never understood the hate it got. Sure drawing and junctioning weren't exciting but the depth you could go with the system was absurd.

Plus FF8 gave us gunblades and triple triad. Both of which are in XIV. (gunblades soon)

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I always assumed that the reason we've never gotten a modern port is because of all the animated pre-rendered backgrounds' transitions into FMV CG.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It gave us triple triad, one of if not best, mini game.

I remember the first demo of the game with the ending FMV that had rinoa in it. Can't believe they made that special one for the demo and then changed it for the final game

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly hard to believe.
Man, that was a different life back then. I had recently started dating the person that would eventually become my wife. We went through it together and it was a really unforgettable experience.

Still my favorite FF. Such a bold, beautiful game. I miss Kitase directing so damn much.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Still arguably the best OST ever made for a video game. Love the characters, love most of the story, triple triad still the best game in a game. Everything about this game is badass. Interesting mechanics too that the more time you invest in em you can break em or you can not invest at all. Which is great!

the story is actually mostly fantastic, I'm blown away by people who think it's "bad". Whatever that means. The way it's all woven together between Laguna/present time is fantastic.

I always thought the story was ok when it came out but it wasn't until I replayed it much later when I was older that I fully appreciated it all.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
I played through FFVIII for the first time about a year and a half ago. The junction system was pretty interesting, but it wasn't really my kind of thing. I also dived right in and started grinding, unaware for about half of the game that enemies level with you.

Apr 19, 2018
I was just starting college when the game came out in September of 1999 in NA. It almost felt like I was joining Balamb Garden and the SeeD academy myself, lol.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
It's called "Childhood amnesia"

This is just a false narrative surrounding the memory-loss.
Most kids under 6 don't remember their childhood friends if they lose contact and don't have photos or other memorials. Kids under 3 don't remember anything apart from learned behavior and muscle memory. Kids between 4 and 6 have difficulties retaining specific memories if they don't repeat them. Hell, you have cases of orphans, aged 4 to 6, who, 10 years later, don't remember they were adopted.

You mostly "remember" part of your early childhood because Adults talk about them.
I certainly don't remember my infamous flowerbed-digging adventure with my cousin when we were 5. The. Adults. Remember! My father had a knack talking about infamous or embarrassing things we did as little kids. He was positively giddy telling our extended family or guests about them. We cousins always questioned the severity or accuracy of these tales, but asking the more grounded and serious family members, they told us those tales were true.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-do-children-start-making-long-term-memories/
https://www.popsci.com/blog-network/kinderlab/birth-memory-why-kids-forget-what-happened-age-7
Sure, but that's not how it's framed in the game. In the game it's specifically because of the GFs, not because of the natural development of growth. Irving still remembers them because he didn't use GFs.

Anyway, everything falls apart in this game narrativewise. The GF memory loss it's only relevant in this case, despite the terrible implications it has, because it's just a lame excuse to pull an even lamer twist that amounts to nothing, because the plot it's just about a woman that wants to destroy the world (through time compression, because cool sounding concepts can mask their shallowness) for unexplained reasons. Laguna's story and role is meaningless, the whole moon monsters deal is also pointless, the whole 2nd Garden master thing serves no purpuse....

This game deals with so many different concepts and completely forgets that they need a reason to be there for it to form a coherent and thematically connected storyline. I hate this game so much, so fucking much…

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The first ever FF I played on PSX, and even though IX is my absolute favourite, VIII still holds a special place in my heart. The story was a tiny bit convoluted and it did stretch a bit too long, but I loved the characters, the summons, the area designs (Balamb Garden looks like a futuristic paradise), he addictive Triple Triad minigame and the general quirky charm.

Most of all, it has my favourite OST, which happens to be one of the GOATs. The OST for this and IX were most certainly Uematsu in his prime, very few came close to this for me.

Shame that we may never get a modern day port due to lolSquareEnix... :(

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I was like 7 years old when I played this and holy shit did I play it wrong. Had no idea how the junction system worked so I pretty much summoned GF's only for like 70 hours. I had so many crazy techniques to hit the square button faster to boost the damage. I ended up quitting not long after getting the Ragnarok because I was getting crushed by the bosses. I also freaking loved Triple Triad until I accidentally spread the random rule around everywhere which I hated. I just wanted to crush everyone with my mad overpowered deck haha.

Something about FFVIII makes it seem so much bigger than it probably actually is...In my head it's by far the largest and most varied of the Final Fantasy games. I'd love an HD remake that touches up some of the broken game mechanics and dialogue.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
i have a soft spot for this game, in part due to it being the first final fantasy i followed from it's announcement onwards. well, as much as a kid could without the internet etc. man, different time back then.
still love the aesthetic and it's probably the apex for nomura's character design.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
These threads always make me feel way too old. lol I adored FFVIII and was, and really still is, my favorite Final Fantasy title.

It was probably the first time I was so unbelievably hyped for a game. I didn't have the internet until like October 1998 so it's announcement wasn't known until I bought an issue of Games Master and saw the full page spread. I lost my shit. I tracked down all the other gaming mags to read their takes and see the screens.

When I finally did get a PC and internet I was always following GIA, FFOnline or FF8source for news and just about every Weekly Famitsu issue had some update.

I imported the Japanese version of Brave Fencer Musashiden just for the demo and I still have the menu music burned into my memory. lol

I imported the Japanese release day 1 and man to say I was excited would be an understatement....then the mod chip blocker ended up being real and I had to quickly have my father run to me the nearest electronic stores to find a action replay gizmo before they closed and pray the trick worked.

It did. The credit titles with the black and white images and music was my victory celebration as I yelled to my dad it had worked!

I had that baby hooked up to the big ole 28" TV with the sound system in my room and had it full cranked for the opening! Really was the GOAT and I still think it had the best OST, which I still have the original CD release.

My girlfriend at the time, who would end up being my wife lol, actually bought a PlayStation and the US version to see what it was all about and why I loved it so much. She enjoyed it but got stuck at the sand prison and never got further...lol she ended up gifting to me the US version and Squall's necklace which I still have today.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Got nostalgic and checked to see if I still had my stuff in storage mentioned in my previous post...lol
JAvBPF7.jpg

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
does the old PC version still work on windows 10?

would be cool to play this with the XG sound with a yamaha synth

Last edited:

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got this game on xmas eve (which is when we open gifts here) many moons ago and I'll never forget how magical it felt to explore Balamb's clean, futuristic hallways. Dat song is basically my childhood anthem. I didn't fully grasp the junction system or the story back then but it was memorable from beginning to end.

It's still tied with FF7 as my favourite game ever.

Also, I got the 2003 edition Sleeping Lionheart ring and vinyl soundtrack. <3

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The only FF next to 1,2 and 3 that i never finished. I never liked the characters or story, and it didn't have the magic for me that 6 and 7 had. Didn't like the junction system and the music had much less memorable tunes compared to previous entries.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
My 2nd favorite FF, absolutely amazing to this day. I will buy the shit out of a remaster/remake.
To be honest, nothing will probably top FFIX simply because it was my first FF experience.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
This game was so disappointing as a kid, but as an adult I've grown to appreciate it so much.

I'm still waiting on that PS4 release Square....

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Never got past disc 3. The game has a fantastic soundtrack, and Quistis must be the most under appreciated Final Fantasy girl ever.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Thread made at 12am lol kimoi. Morrigan , I was going to make this thread too, think of how mad OP would have been in this case!

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's stupid that we didn't get a port of it on PS4. Despite all the critiques that have built up over the years, the game still has a ton of fans.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread Wazzy! I appreciate that the narrative around Final Fantasy VIII has gotten more positive over the years, the game deserves it and not the special kind of hate it sometimes gets. There is so much to love in this game: the soundtrack, the characters, the world, the artstyle, how different a playthrough can feel based on how you engage the systems, Triple Triad! My relationship with it may have started rocky, but I am glad to be a part of the FFVIII fan club now.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that about FFIX. Vivi is a standout. Freya is alright I guess. But Steiner, Eiko, and Quina are shit. And who on Earth cares about Amarant?
I do!

Amarant as a standalone character sucks, but the context of his growth being tied to Zidane is what makes him a much better character for me.

Also I love Steiner, leave him alone :(

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I never finished it. Something was really missing. But maybe one day I'll get back to it.
However, the motivation to do such a long RPG again is difficult these days. And then the internet spoilt the end, difficult to be motivated in such conditions... whatever.
Otherwise, I don't know why, but the scene on a train, especially on the roof, had left a deep impression on me. The speed effect, the animation, etc., it was amazing for the time.

Edit : 3D characters overlaid on one or more 2D pre-rendered animated backgrounds (for the PS1 era), it was really very good work: https://i.imgur.com/gHQb7s5.gif

Last edited: