• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

20 years ago one of the most ambitious games in the Final Fanatasy series was released. Final Fantasy VIII celebrates its 20th Anniversary today. Let's discuss and post our favourite moments, music and memories. Click banners & Images to open links to previews, art and music!

Happy Anniversary Final Fantasy VIII!

Anniversary Directory

Published By:
B1uCOM9.png

nUNJR9J.png
February 11th 1999 in Japan

nUNJR9J.png
September 9th 1999 in North America.

nUNJR9J.png
October 27th 1999 in Europe

Platforms:

Final Fantasy VIII was first released on the Playstation. It was later ported to PC and PS3 as a Playstation Classic and then finally to Steam. The game does not currently have a PS4 or Switch port something that will hopefully come soon.

Final Fantasy VIII released in 1999 and brought many changes and new ideas to the series. It was the first game to make the jump to realistically proportioned characters and with that brought gorgeous visuals. Like its predecessor Final Fantasy VII, pre-rendered backgrounds are used for town's and dungeons. A major part of Final Fantasy VIII is its heavy focus on the main protagonists thoughts, something we also hadn't seen in previous games.

The battle system was one of the bigger changes for the series. Added was a level scale system which challenges you by allowing monsters to become more powerful whenever Squall and your two party members level increases using the party average. The Junction system gave players customizable options that allowed for various play-styles. Summons(known as Guardian Force) were a huge component to the battle system as they allowed players to junction magic onto a characters stats thus increasing their power. GF's also learn abilities that can be used in battle AND outside such as the No-Encounter ability giving players the option to avoid random battles all together.

Final Fantasy VIII features many dialogue options and side quests with certain triggers. NPC's will have a variety of incidental dialogue when spoken to multiple times which created a more active world.

Example Dialogue Differences:
cFvADvF.png

Triple Triad was a card minigame that tied into the junction system and was very well received. The ability to mod cards into items and spells gave another approach to VIII's gameplay. You can challenge people from all over with different rules that can be spread or abolished. The tutorial features a cameo of Orran from Final Fantasy Tactics.

3h4HCdT.png

Squall Leonhart

Height: 5'10
Date Of Birth: August 23rd
Blood Type: AB
Weapon: Gunblade Revolver

Profile:

A talented SeeD and a member of the select organization which was formed for the purpose of subjugating sorceresses. While carrying out his duty, Squall is afflicted by mysterious dreams which show him a story from the past and the life of a warm and candid man who seems so like and yet unlike himself. These dreams of the past, which seem at first glance to be without significance, soon are revealed to have intimate ties to the tale of Squall's present.

Rinoa Heartilly

Height: 5'4
Date Of Birth: March 3rd
Weapon: Pinwheel

Profile:

As a part of the Forest Owls, Rinoa works to undermine the Galbadian government along with her fellow freedom fighters. She meets Squall when she goes to Balamb Garden to seek help for her group's plans to abduct the Galbadian president. She cannot help falling for the SeeD, yet she will find herself the unwitting inheritor of a sorceress's power, making her a liability and putting her life at risk during the war against the sorceresses.

Seifer Almasy

Height: 6'2
Date Of Birth: December 22nd
Blood Type: O
Weapon: Gunblade Hyperion
Profile:

The head of Balamb Garden's Disciplinary Committee and yet the most problematic student within its walls. Despite his superior fighting skills, Seifer's belligerent attitude and inability to follow orders have left him famous for being unable to pass the SeeD exam. When he crashes one of Squall's missions, he is caught by the sorceress Edea and turned against the Garden.

Edea Kramer

Height: 5'6
Weapon: Magic
Profile:

A women made a sorceress at the age of 5, she is married to a man named Cid Kramer who together create Balamb Garden and SeeD. Originally she ran an orphanage for children orphaned by the sorceress war but it was abandoned when she disappeared. Now she seeks to destroy SeeD and Garden for reasons unknown.

Quistis Trepe

Height: 5'6
Date Of Birth: October 3rd
Blood Type: A
Weapon: Whip

Profile:

An exceptionally talented young woman who became SeeD in fewer years than anyone before her. As Squall's assigned instructor, Quistis feels a personal responsibility for him.

Selphie Tilmitt

Height: 5'1 1/2
Date Of Birth: July 16th
Blood Type: B
Weapon: Nunchaku

Profile:

A newly transferred SeeD cadet from Trabia Garden. Energetic, always smiling, and never shy, this lighthearted mood-maker has been known to casually drop a dark joke or two.

Zell Dincht

Height: 5'5
Date Of Birth: March 17th
Weapon: Gloves

Profile:

A SeeD candidate studying at Balamb Garden. Zell is known as a hot-headed young man who lets passion guide his actions, with reason taking a back seat. Though small in stature, his relentless physical training has turned him into a true dynamo.

Irvine Kinneas

Height: 6'0
Date Of Birth: November 24th
Weapon: Shotgun

Profile:

A sniper from Galabadia Garden and a ladies man, Irvine is assigned to Squall's group on an assassination mission. He acts confident but crumbles under pressure.

Laguna Loire

Height: 5'11
Date Of Birth: January 3rd
Weapon: Machine Gun

Profile:

A person with a connection to Squall, who views Laguna through mysterious dreams. Though Laguna was once no more than a clumsy Galbadian soldier, before long he becomes a crucial player in events that will determine the fate of the world.

Kiros Seagill

Height: 6'4
Date Of Birth: July 16th
Blood Type: O
Weapon: Paired Sharp Blades

Profile:

A soldier who teamed up with Laguna and Ward when they were in the Galbadian army. Though constantly dumbfounded by Laguna's behavior, Kiros has resolved to stick with him to the bitter end.

Ward Zabac

Height: 7'0
Date Of Birth: February 25th
Weapon: Harpoon

A Galbadian soldier who, along with Kiros, was part of a team led by Laguna. Ward loses the ability to speak after being wounded in battle, but still manages to make himself understood through sheer affability and charm.

bnv3VZI.png

In Order: Original Soundtrack/Fithos Lusec Wecos Venoc/Piano Collection/Chip Album

The original soundtrack is composed by Nobuo Uematsu. The most notable song is Eye's On Me which featured singer Faye Wong.

In Order: Dissidia/Final Fantasy Record Keeper/Black Mages/World of Final Fantasy

Arrangements from all across the series mobile & crossover titles.

NejYJCc.png

Platforms: PS2/PSP/PS4/Vita Features: Squall/Rinoa/Quistis
About: Boardgame crossover between FF & Dragon Quest
Music: Don't Be Afraid/Man With The Machine Gun
Platforms: 3DS/IOS/Android
Features: Squall/Seifer/Rinoa/Laguna/Edea/Ultimecia
About: Rhythm game featuring Final Fantasy music & characters

Platforms: PS2/PSP/PS4/3DS/IOS/Android
Features: Squall/Seifer/Raijin/Fujin/Selphie
About: Crossover Between Final Fantasy & Disney

Platforms: PS4/PC
Features: Gunblade Class/Revolver/Dissidia Squall
About: Mainline Final Fantasy MMO

Platforms: PS4/Arcade
Features: Squall/Rinoa/Ultimecia/Edea
About: Crossover Fighting Game

Platforms: PS4/Vita/Switch/IOS/Android
Features: Squall/Quistis/Moomba
About: Final Fantasy Crossover RPG

nPwWnnj.png

Platforms: IOS/Android
Features: Squall/Rinoa/Zell
About: Original Final Fantasy Characters/Story Crossover

Features: All characters
About: Scenarios/Stories redone in pixel art

pzmmNg4.png

Features: Squall/Rinoa/Angelo/Ultimecia
About: Crossover Puzzle Game

Features: Squall/Laguna/Ultimecia
About: Crossover Puzzle Game

Platforms: IOS/Android/PC
Features: Squall/Rinoa/Seifer/Ultimecia/Summons/Enemies
About: Card RPG

Features: Majority of VIII characters
About: Dissidia Turn Based Brave System

WqWnYLN.png

TfKr7wt.png

Artists: Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshitaka Amano
dcxeKs8.png

Unused Content(Click For Link):

Dollet Demo Unused(Click For Link)

Orchestra Melody & PS2 Tech Demo:

*Will be updating more later

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Best PS1 FF to be honest. I loved it. And great OST. Why is SE ignoring this one lol.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I would be honestly surprised if Square did not announce a port of FFVIII is coming to all three current consoles this year. It's a glaring omission from that big FF news of the Switch/XboxOne ports last year.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread. Still my favorite FF, just seeing this stuff makes me want to play it again.

darkNemisiScloud

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
My first and still favourite final fantasy with 7 a close 2nd, would of been amazing if sqaure dud release it today for it's 20th anniversary on the ps4. Hopefully some time this year.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I stand by my totally baseless opinion that everything in this game is either really good, or really bad.

Soundtrack? REALLY GOOD
Story? REALLY BAD
Graphics/Art? REALLY GOOD (for a PSX game)
Junction Mechanics? REALLY BAD
Triple Triad? REALLY GOOD

I can't recommend it to a casual fan as a "good Final Fantasy" game, but fuck it, I love it deep down.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It might not be my favorite, but it's so unique when held up against the series. It continues to have this air of maturity, and I feel like XV's direction and development could have learned a lot from this game, and should have built upon the similar story beats.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This game has such a strong art style and setting, it's amazing. The soundtrack is pretty nice as well.
It could use some polishing though, that's for sure lol

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
This game was a big part of my childhood gaming memory. Thinking back, it has a lot of objective issues but damn I still love the game. And I also think the first two disc are genuinely fun and exciting with the SeeD missions and sorcerer hunting. I still listen to its soundtrack to this day on regular basis.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for putting this together Wazzy! Love the little details throughout.

I still can't believe we finally have Rinoa fucking Heartilly in HD. Her voice might suck but she looks wonderful. What a time to be alive.

Gimme me FFVIII remake PS4 port SE.

tumblr_pbnh9mBVQs1sq41kno1_540.gif

Deleted member 4434

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Still my favourite FF game. Liked the GF system too and the cards. Been a while since I played it, should definitely replay it again soon.
That ballroom scene oh my gosh. (´▽`人)♡ I made a special save before it'd play so I could see it any time I want and boy I saw it tons of times.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread!

Laguna is absolutely my favorite Final Fantasy character, and easily the best in VIII:

- a soldier who wants to be a traveling writer
- so cool he has his own theme song
- has two fiercely loyal best bros
- his leg cramps around beautiful women
- he moonlights as a screen actor and the president of the most technologically advanced nation on the planet
- was elected president because tripped a sorceress into a time stasis machine, and then launched her into space
- carries around a copy of his son's collectible trading card, which probably wasn't easy to come by
- Moombas love him

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Love VIII to death and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Happy anniversary best looking guy and, as always, screw the haters.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry but it had to be done.

You don't like this joke? Get them to do a remake then.

e5f1dc383ad22916706cba468599a09d--final-fantasy-funny-final-fantasy-viii.jpg

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for putting this together Wazzy! Love the little details throughout.

I still can't believe we finally have Rinoa fucking Heartilly in HD. Her voice might suck but she looks wonderful. What a time to be alive.

Gimme me FFVIII remake PS4 port SE.

tumblr_pbnh9mBVQs1sq41kno1_540.gif
My only problem with that model is that it only looks like someone who looks similar to her, doing a cosplay. Her facial features don't look like FF8's Rinoa.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite Final Fantasy games. I know many don't like it and I don't even know if it's the nostalgia goggles or just the memories I have attached to this game, but it will forever be in my heart. Now if only SE would remember and pay respect to VIII again...

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII was first released on the Playstation. It was later ported to PC and PS3 as a Playstation Classic and then finally to Steam. The game does not currently have a PS4 or Switch port something that will hopefully come soon.

A little correction: It wasn't ported later as a PlayStation classic on PC.
It released just 3 months after the PSOne Version.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Another amazing anniversary OT Wazzy. FFVIII is the most underrated FF of all. Loved it all those years ago, still love it to this day.

There were aspects that needed improvment near the end, but the overall journey was incredible.

PS4 version when, or remake using FFXV engine please.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is on my list of games to today this year. Might tackle it next month (Chrono Cross was last month, this month is Mega Man Legend trilogy)

Oct 30, 2017
One of the most beautiful art diretion in any game in my opinion, the world and the cities still outstanding and the OST brings out the feelings and atmosphere in spectacular way.

This needs to be HD Remastered like VII and IX, now it's the time to do it SE what are you waiting for?

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most beautiful art diretion in any game in my opinion, the world and the cities still outstanding and the OST brings out the feelings and atmosphere in spectacular way.

This needs to be HD Remastered like VII and IX, now it's the time to do it SE what are you waiting for?

The PC version is the HD remaster if I'm not mistaken. They just never put it out on consoles.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How can you not bob your head to this?

Another banger

score01

Oct 27, 2017
The golden age of gaming. Where you got to know really important things about the characters, like blood type.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game but I absolutely hated the junction and magic drawing systems.

Despite the junction system, I still really like the game, but it's a tier below VII and IX IMO.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed FF8 quite a bit, but I never noticed before how long everyone's damn neck is in their profile pictures. They look like giraffes.