• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I detested this game when it came out. I foolishly bought it day one, since it reviewed well, in spite of me also rather disliking VII. But I wanted to believe that I could still love a Final Fantasy game, because the series was my absolute favorite on SNES. To this day, VI remains one of my favorite games of all time.

For me this game represents the end of my Final Fantasy. It was the point in which I realized that these games were not for me anymore (IX nonwithstanding since it was a farewell gift for old timers like me). I thought VII was pretty bad as well, but at least it somewhat resembled Final Fantasy.

I couldn't have cared less about anything in this game. I thought the characters were unlikable pretty boys; I hated the simplistic, yet tedious combat; I hated the lack of character classes; the lack of equipment; the lack of unique skills; the overpowered summons; I abhored the draw and junction mechanics. I guess the game had appealing visuals; certainly better than VII's inconsistent hodgepodge of styles, but that was about it. For the life of me, I couldn't understand why this game was even called Final Fantasy; it had basically nothing in common with the games I loved as a kid.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Posting backgrounds.

dt2GAlo.png

h58EKqO.png

2Ec4awx.png

07bebqj.png

kZqMqMA.png

4E0HXx3.png

D5aXmdU.png

jCRQ7kd.png

gv9HZ3r.png

kcszY8t.png

rioLVaw.png

44k3Bia.png

gl4cMwC.png

vTs6wRh.png

UYEEr5D.png

Y5EPOeS.png

RjeoghA.png

YzTlQTr.png

g8taTKM.png

i6Rax0n.png

qvtn9fo.png

3KpgdGW.png

0hCEX3O.png

NKXwgUS.png

ptAre83.png

gm4SSts.png

msS5uqN.png

8SfM7uq.png

paB4jGy.png

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game so much. I've only played 7,8,4, and 5 but im not sure any FF game wil ever be able to surpass 8 for me.

I still wear same necklace as the one in my avi when i can.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This is easily my favorite FF from the PS era. I have such a distinct memory of me and my older brother saving up coins for months just to buy Brave Fencer Musashi to play the demo for this game. That ended up being an amazing decision in its own right, but the hype was real. We were kids just eating up whatever coverage we saw in magazines.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
One aspect of VIII I feel is the most underappreciated is the dialogue. There is so many sets for NPC's and interactions that make them unique and part of the world.

When playing as Irvine for the band you can wander off and get threatened, have a forum write about how scary he is and just have little conversations that expand more on him and FH.

Another example is Balamb Garden. Compare scenes and dialogue when you first begin to when you become a SeeD and the sets have all changed. One of the most detailed aspects about VIII.
Did this game sell well or no? Does it justify a remake?
It did extremely well and is still one of the best sellers even though it has the least amount of ports.

Thread made at 12am lol kimoi. Morrigan , I was going to make this thread too, think of how mad OP would have been in this case!
It happened last time I did 15th Anniversary but my thread was kept because it had more content lmao

Never underestimate my crazy when it comes to VIII. I woke up 2 hours before I was supposed to post the thread which is 5am for me.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Never underestimate my crazy when it comes to VIII. I woke up 2 hours before I was supposed to post the thread which is 5am for me.
Was going to use my japanese timezone and normally early waking up time as a safety mechanism. "No one will make this in the 4 hours I'm asleep..."

OP would have just been background image spam and a youtube embed anyway lol.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wazzy please could you describe your ideal FF8 remake?

Mine would be a crash bandicoot style remake which was extremely faithful (including fixed-ish backgrounds) but with really nice graphics, and many cut scenes and interactions similar in quality to XIII.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not HD Remastered.

They didn't work on the pre-rendered backgrounds and characters models like they did with IX.

Did they work on the backgrounds on FFVII for PC/PS4? I honestly don't recall for either VII or IX. They looked muddy to me.

If anything they should put out all 3 again on PS4 with backgrounds recreated using the AI like in that one thread.

Oct 30, 2017
Did they work on the backgrounds on FFVII for PC/PS4? I honestly don't recall for either VII or IX. They looked muddy to me.

If anything they should put out all 3 again on PS4 with backgrounds recreated using the AI like in that one thread.
They did improve the character models, but that's basically it. It didn't get the same level of attention as IX.
They worked so much on characters models and also the backgrounds:

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The FFVIII world theme was my go-to travel track on XV too. It's pretty much perfect for driving.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I was so excited for this game back in '99 I had to explain to convince my mother at the time to buy the game as it had an M15+ rating here. But I still vividly remember coming back from a school camp the day after my birthday with this waiting for me.

..That said I never got past disc 3

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I thought this was about SE releasing a FFVIII remaster for its 20th anniversary. Out of all the FF, this is one I could never finish, or hold my interest. The Junction system ruined my excitement, but if it ever comes out on switch, might give it a shot again.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be all over Luminous Productions remaking VIII giving them a chance to flex that engine for real this time especially just to see the Battle of the Gardens rendered in real time combat. I'll just quote myself from threads prior:
Let the Luminous Studio team remake it so I can experience the Battle of the Gardens in real time.

Speaking of VIII, god I would LOVE a remake made in the vein of XV. It was the original fantasy based on reality after all.

Just imagining touring the halls of Balamb Garden, exploring the world, the siege of Dollet, the Tomb of the Unknown King, the assassination attempt on Edea, the Battle of the Gardens, etc, etc.

pWBxW7q.gif

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played it for years but I have nothing but good memories of FFVIII. I love it.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game. Still remains as my second favorite Final Fantasy, tied with IX. Junction was some great stuff back in the day, and the art direction and music is some of the best in the series. Triple Triad is also yet to be bested as the number one mini-game. It was such a simple and addictive thing. Overall, I think the game's greatest strength is in the first two discs. It's paced incredibly well and has some real great set-pieces. The third disc doesn't quite measure up to the first two due to them not fully realizing the potential of the sorceress story, but the final dungeon is the best in the entire series. I think the only final dungeon that comes close to it is the revamped one in XV Royal Edition.

I don't want Square Enix to spend 10-15 years remaking this, since I want new FF games, but I'd love to see them hand off a remake to another developer to make something akin to REmake. Update the models and pre-rendered backgrounds, improve upon Triple Triad, and maybe do a few adjustments to the story line in certain places to really tighten it up. Feel very confident it'd sell millions even with just that and would capture the atmosphere and feel of the original a lot better than a full on remake would.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
not a very good game, at least not for mainline FF standards

I would personally review it maybe a 7.5 out of 10

not a bad game though. I like that main song in it, forget the name

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Wazzy please could you describe your ideal FF8 remake?

Mine would be a crash bandicoot style remake which was extremely faithful (including fixed-ish backgrounds) but with really nice graphics, and many cut scenes and interactions similar in quality to XIII.
I also would prefer a faithful remake. The graphics would be made to match the FMV's but obviously a little more detailed, more sidequests for each party member, make Laguna/Kiros/Ward either playable or add more to that story, though with that I realize the purpose of the cutoff is because Ellone has a realization. Seifer/Raijin/Fujin should become playable and join in the final battle.

Battle system I would want a lot of the concepts kept such as how customizable junction is and how Triple Triad was designed with the battle system in mind. Draw should still exist but shouldn't be an ability you need to equip and is more for GF pulling/Casting Magic. Add outfit changes(but no pervy bullshit that seems to plague games that add outfits) such as SeeD uniform, Cadet Uniforms from each Garden, Galbadian Uniform, etc.

The biggest concern I have is a remake using the Dissidia style. I think Rinoa looks great for that game but it's not something I want in a remake especially because Dissidia makes both Squall and Rinoa have anime eyes and they look like dolls. The PS2 tech demo is what I hope they would look back at and understand that direction was the best one.

Wazzy ,few people are as committed to their fave as you are. *salute*
2aVC9lX.gif

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
FF8 is my favorite ff game and second favorite game of all time, such a cherished party of my childhood growing up. Sure people can pick it apart but the pros for me heavily outweighed the cons. It is a crime that we have no updated way to play this gem on consoles.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Was actually just listening to Eyes on Me yesterday.

Still one of my favorite Final Fantasy games. Can't believe it's not on modern consoles yet aside from the PC version.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I remember I loved FF7 so much that I mail-ordered this game. I played the demo to death (I HATED it because of the timer) and spent the whole day reading the review in GamesMaster. I begged with my mum to let me off school to play, and she relented.. and the game arrived at 5:30pm... way after I would have been home from school anyway. Never actually finished it.. It got too weird. I loved the first 20 hours, though.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
I absolutely love that game and it should be released on all current platforms.

There's one thing I hated though, once you reach the last CD you can't visit towns anymore. Why the hell did they do that.

misterBee

Aug 16, 2018
FFVIII is my favorite FF of all time.

The customization you can do by equipping GFs/adding new abilities to chars + the ability to junction magic to stats means you can play pretty much any way you want. Use GFs to give characters abilities that they wouldn't normally have, and do fun things like make your characters' normal attacks cause sleep or other status effects.

Monster levels scale so that if you're at a higher level the game is actually HARDER. Gil is given to you as a salary and isn't nearly as important as it is in other games.

Most of the hate the game gets seem to be because it was so different from any of the older FF games. I think that it's actually what makes the game great.