• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wazzy Amazing thread, I was awaiting it eagerly and it was definitely worth the wait (as befitting the best FF game :D haha). I'll be starting the anniversary playthrough later today and hopefully I can round a few people up into joining us.

It's really warmed my heart seeing so many positive responses in this thread so far. One of my favorite things to observe in this industry is the gradual vindication of FFVIII as time passes, and I feel like every year there are more and more people who approach it with an open mind and end up loving it, instead of just writing it off immediately due to a troubled reputation that it really doesn't deserve. Like all experimental and highly ambitious works, it's not something that will land for everyone; but it's absolutely one of the most unique and fascinating games ever made, with one of the best love stories in the medium, so people really owe it to themselves to give it a shot. It's a remarkably coherent game given how many moving parts there are, and a lot of that fantastic theming and sense of direction only becomes apparent if you really dig into it and get invested in the story it sets out to tell. In that respect it's truly a game that gets better and better the more time you spend with it and the more you think about it.

I also think that FFVIII should be celebrated as one of the most bold and courageous games ever released when you look at it in the proper context. Squaresoft had just released the monstrously successful commercial juggernaut of FFVII; by all means, the formula for success was established, and they could've just doubled down on it for their next FF. Instead, on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, they threw virtually the entire book out and rewrote that template from the ground up into a game that not only was remarkably dissimilar from FFVII, but was dissimilar from virtually any other JRPG. Taken together, pretty much every element in FFVIII - from the art direction, to the setting itself, to the Junction system, to the fascinating plot - was a hard repudiation of "phoning it in" or "keeping it safe," and was instead boldly and confidently experimental and unique. How often do we have developers land a titanic commercial success, only to make the next numbered entry in the series an ambitious marvel anchored by avant garde game design and a stunningly original vision that has absolutely nothing to do with the mega-hit that came before it? It just doesn't happen, because no developers are like Squaresoft in their prime. This game is the greatest legacy of that company before they merged into Square Enix; pure artistry, pure ambition, pure pushing the envelope, rules and expectations be damned. God, what an amazing game.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Fantastic OST and criminally under appreciated game looking back 10 - 15 years later. Junction system wasn't exactly my favorite but the story and characters were better than 7 imo.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
e43aa8ab8c90cec973c475cae7fdbc6e.jpg

No one's posted this yet? You're slipping, you chicken wusses.

Loved the Draw system, enemy variety, and locations! Absolutely trash tier story with some of the worst written characters outside of actual anime. Loathed it then, loathed it now. Especially in the era of Tactics and 7 and 9.

This is a treasure trove of but a sample of the awful writing this game has to offer.
Thank you for this. I can't believe it wasn't posted until the 3rd page. 🙄

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is a great thread.

I've had FF8 sitting on my PSP for years and keep telling myself I'll get to it, but I always get distracted. FF7 and FF9 are my favorite FFs so I'm curious how it would measure up. Someday...

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Such a classic game. There's a great hardcore difficulty mod out there called Final Fantasy VIII Requiem. It's a great challenge, but it's well worth it and it will put your knowledge of the Junction System and Triple Triad card game to the test. I can safely say that beating Omega Weapon in this mod( no save states aka cheating because I played it on a PS3) is one of my greatest gaming achievements.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Somehow I beat Ultima weapon only using two limit breaks. I think this is the first time I've had Eden since ... I first played the game in what I believe was 2001.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This game was a big part of my childhood gaming memory. Thinking back, it has a lot of objective issues but damn I still love the game. And I also think the first two disc are genuinely fun and exciting with the SeeD missions and sorcerer hunting. I still listen to its soundtrack to this day on regular basis.

:::clap clap clap, clap clap clap:::

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't posted because it's a stupid meme that takes the exchange out of context.
Even worse, it's an exchange that doesn't exist. It's a photoshopped screenshot that doesn't even happen, at that point in the story Rinoa is unconscious.

It's like the people who take the laughing scene in FFX out of context to dunk on it, except even more absurd in this case because the scene in question isn't in the game.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I bought FF8 last summer in a fit of nostalgia.

Back in the day I had put hours and hours into it; grinding away entire weekends. I probably could have strolled through the final boss. But that never happened. My save became corrupted somehow and I never finished it.

I was just thinking today how cool/weird a Balamb Garden focused TV show could be.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think that's fair, the story up until you fight Edea the second time is pretty interesting (basketball court scene aside), it loses it's way a bit after that but I wouldn't call it bad. I think the Laguna sidestory and the way it ties in with the present characters was quite well done

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still have to give it to ff7 as my favorite, but 8 is a VERY close second, amazing game, amazing soundtrack, fun characters. Got this and the strategy guide on my birthday the year it came out. The opening cinematic was insane.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
If anything, the issue is that a lot of people are borderline OCD. They felt compelled to draw 99 of each spell for each character.
It improved your stats until 99, so there was a reason to do it.

Criticizing the draw system is amateur level FFVIII hating. That's what refining is for, you're not going to sit there drawing 99 of a spell if you know what you're doing.

There are so, so many better reasons for hating FFVIII like the awful card rules that spread without card queen bs, broken leveling system, unlikeable cast of characters, lack of a strong villain, terrible story, etc, etc.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My personal favourite FF numbered game with also the best OST.
I'm still waiting for the PS4 port.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
20 years, holy crap.
Still haven't played it...

Have it, err had it...
PS3 digital version, but the PS3 died,
now can't play it... :(

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
e43aa8ab8c90cec973c475cae7fdbc6e.jpg

No one's posted this yet? You're slipping, you chicken wusses.

Loved the Draw system, enemy variety, and locations! Absolutely trash tier story with some of the worst written characters outside of actual anime. Loathed it then, loathed it now. Especially in the era of Tactics and 7 and 9.

This is a treasure trove of but a sample of the awful writing this game has to offer.

Bad translation.
http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Squall wasn't an "emo", would you still consider him the best MC in FF?

He's not even 'emo' unless people think showing their emotions, be they negative or positive, is being 'emo'. Squall suffers from extreme abandonment issues originating from the death of his mother in childbirth, not knowing his father and his only real family member suddenly leaving one day and never being heard from again. After assuming as a child that everyone close to him either ends up in danger or leaving him, Squall puts up a wall around him that blocks anyone and everyone from getting to know the real him as a way to protect both himself and others from getting close to him so that he can never lose anyone again like he did when he was a child. That's why he's so stand-offish and I guess 'an emo' at the start of the game. That's why it's so special when he finally starts to slowly open as the game goes on, because Rinoa and his other friends teach him that he doesn't have to push himself away from others.

And yes, I do consider him to be the best FF MC because his arc is easily one of the best (if not THE best) arcs in the entire series. He's a far more complex character than what most people give him credit for.

Last edited:

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I replayed this game a couple years ago and I was surprised at the quality of the writing (positively) and I felt Squall wasn't nearly as one-dimensional and moody as his reputation would suggest. I think the battle system is a bit of a mess and the story goes off the deep end in the closing part of the game, but it really is a unique and special experience.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Wazzy Amazing thread, I was awaiting it eagerly and it was definitely worth the wait (as befitting the best FF game :D haha). I'll be starting the anniversary playthrough later today and hopefully I can round a few people up into joining us.

It's really warmed my heart seeing so many positive responses in this thread so far. One of my favorite things to observe in this industry is the gradual vindication of FFVIII as time passes, and I feel like every year there are more and more people who approach it with an open mind and end up loving it, instead of just writing it off immediately due to a troubled reputation that it really doesn't deserve. Like all experimental and highly ambitious works, it's not something that will land for everyone; but it's absolutely one of the most unique and fascinating games ever made, with one of the best love stories in the medium, so people really owe it to themselves to give it a shot. It's a remarkably coherent game given how many moving parts there are, and a lot of that fantastic theming and sense of direction only becomes apparent if you really dig into it and get invested in the story it sets out to tell. In that respect it's truly a game that gets better and better the more time you spend with it and the more you think about it.

I also think that FFVIII should be celebrated as one of the most bold and courageous games ever released when you look at it in the proper context. Squaresoft had just released the monstrously successful commercial juggernaut of FFVII; by all means, the formula for success was established, and they could've just doubled down on it for their next FF. Instead, on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, they threw virtually the entire book out and rewrote that template from the ground up into a game that not only was remarkably dissimilar from FFVII, but was dissimilar from virtually any other JRPG. Taken together, pretty much every element in FFVIII - from the art direction, to the setting itself, to the Junction system, to the fascinating plot - was a hard repudiation of "phoning it in" or "keeping it safe," and was instead boldly and confidently experimental and unique. How often do we have developers land a titanic commercial success, only to make the next numbered entry in the series an ambitious marvel anchored by avant garde game design and a stunningly original vision that has absolutely nothing to do with the mega-hit that came before it? It just doesn't happen, because no developers are like Squaresoft in their prime. This game is the greatest legacy of that company before they merged into Square Enix; pure artistry, pure ambition, pure pushing the envelope, rules and expectations be damned. God, what an amazing game.
He's not even 'emo' unless people think showing their emotions, be they negative or positive, is being 'emo'. Squall suffers from extreme abandonment issues originating from the death of his mother in childbirth, not knowing his father and his only real family member suddenly leaving one day and never being heard from again. After assuming as a child that everyone close to him either ends up in danger or leaving him, Squall puts up a wall around him that blocks anyone and everyone from getting to know the real him as a way to protect both himself and others from getting close to him so that he can never lose anyone again like he did when he was a child. That's why he's so stand-offish and I guess 'an emo' at the start of the game. That's why it's so special when he finally starts to slowly open as the game goes on, because Rinoa and his other friends teach him that he doesn't have to push himself away from others.

And yes, I do consider him to be the best FF MC because his arc is easily one of the best (if not THE best) arcs in the entire series. He's a far more complex character than what most people give him credit for.

These posts give me life.
Well said- both of you!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
One of my favorite card games! But really just an alright RPG with an incredibly flawed battle system. Would love a remake with some reworks to the junction and draw system.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
In my top 10 games. I'll never forget about this game.

The 14 year old me was floored by it.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My favourite FF. I love the soundtrack, the art design, the card game, and i absolutely love how exploitable it is.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I'd played a few FFs before it, this game more than any other probably sparked my enduring love of JRPGs.

It deserves more respect than it gets. How do we have modern day console ports of FFVII and IX but not VIII?

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
FFVIII is still one of my favourite games ever.

re-release for all modern consoles you cowards @squareenix

Oct 25, 2017
It's called "Childhood amnesia"

This is just a false narrative surrounding the memory-loss.
Most kids under 6 don't remember their childhood friends if they lose contact and don't have photos or other memorials. Kids under 3 don't remember anything apart from learned behavior and muscle memory. Kids between 4 and 6 have difficulties retaining specific memories if they don't repeat them. Hell, you have cases of orphans, aged 4 to 6, who, 10 years later, don't remember they were adopted.

You mostly "remember" part of your early childhood because Adults talk about them.
I certainly don't remember my infamous flowerbed-digging adventure with my cousin when we were 5. The. Adults. Remember! My father had a knack talking about infamous or embarrassing things we did as little kids. He was positively giddy telling our extended family or guests about them. We cousins always questioned the severity or accuracy of these tales, but asking the more grounded and serious family members, they told us those tales were true.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-do-children-start-making-long-term-memories/
https://www.popsci.com/blog-network/kinderlab/birth-memory-why-kids-forget-what-happened-age-7

I'm skeptical of this. Some people are late bloomers with memory, but most people I know have a pretty clear memory of their 5 year old friends. I certainly start my consistent memory at age 4.
The FFVIII cast weren't under 6 at the orphanage anyway, so the whole argument is moot anyway. There are other story reasons given for the memory loss.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Fantastic thread and tribute Wazzy

FF8 was my first Final Fantasy and this brings back so many memories. I never actually finished the game because the battle system was pretty confusing for me and I was a lot younger. I ended up spamming GFs as a crutch till I got to a part of the game where that didn't cut it (some facility/factory in the middle of a desert where you battle a giant mech boss) I have to go back and beat it one of these days!

This simple laid-back track is my favorite out of the GOAT ost. Loved listening to it and watching the waves next to the Hotel in Balamb.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
I loved everything about this game except the Junction System. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Global Opera Omnia acknowledging the Anniversary!!

I drew this to celebrate the FF series's 30th... but I do have a soft spot from FF8.

Awesome work man. I was just about to say how sad I was that there wasn't much fanart to celebrate the 20th anniversary. I also drew a little something myself:

Both of your art is gorgeous! I think I saw yours(Dice) in the anniversary hashtag.