• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
e43aa8ab8c90cec973c475cae7fdbc6e.jpg

rinoa is just dicking around in this scene from memory which is why squall is being so dismissive iirc

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I need to replay this gem. Best FF romance.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Really sad there hasnt been anything with 8 proper for a long time.

Gotta say though Squalls part in KH3 went in a direction I didn't expect at all.

tumblr_oq02onW2fS1qedod5o1_500.gif

Nomura truly is a madman

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I played so much of this game almost 20 years ago and since then my opinion on it has soured so much that maybe I should give it another try

The most I've come to truly appreciating it is liking Leon in Kingdom Hearts

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I think I played FF 8, Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill all in the space of one year. 1999 was incredible, not just for cinema.

This game still has one of the best opening cinematics in video game history.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
A legendary thread.

Like Artpop, Final Fantasy could mean anything. In the case of Final Fantasy 8, it means:

- A genre defining RPG, yet to be outclassed.

- A phenomenal, customizable battle system that can be avoided entirely (wow @ choosing your own play style!).

- Critical acclaim! FF8 joins the elite 90 + group on Metacritic, most of the other girls can't relate.

I8aqJjR.jpg

- Incredible graphics, yet to be matched in terms of art style and setting.

- The best soundtrack in a game this side of Chrono Cross.

- A movie and BOOK quality story.

- Remember when Final Fantasy 9 and Lost Odyssey tried it?

tuWFEvx.gif

- The best, most addictive and WORTHWHILE mini-game ever seen in Triple Triad. Better than any real life card game!

- LGBTQIA icon Zell. His obsession with stuffing his mouth with hot dogs and COMPLETE dismissal of that female library flop, in 1999 no less! FF8 battling homophobia, what were the other RPGs or games in general doing?

- The best romance in a game. Squall & Rinoa have yet to be outclassed (and Squall is still the series' best lead). Who doesn't tear up @ the ending when Rinoa repeats her "one dance" gesture from the beginning of the game?

mo1ddqv.gif

Unlike Artpop, which I spent 3 years pretending I liked, FF8 has been a top favorite of mine since its iconic release 20 years ago. I've yet to meet an unattractive or stupid-ass FF8 fan, they are ALWAYS hot and smart! An intelligent fan base that comes up with amazing theories like Squall = dead (disagree) and Rinoa = Ultimecia (disagree).

Wig @ Final Fantasy 8's lasting impact and the fact that, tied with Chrono Trigger, it's still the best game this medium has to offer.

LJywiY5.gif

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Great game. I appreciate it more and more over the years. One of the JRPGs that is genuine and earnest telling a story about teenagers from their point of view.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting a bunch of the backgrounds signal! Here is a twitter that is posting a bunch of HQ shots of the backgrounds.

Reflect on your... Childhood...
Your sensation... Your words... Your emotions...
Time, it will not wait...
No matter how hard you hold on...it escapes you.
And...
I seriously love this quote. It makes Ultimecia more human.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, it's bad guys, but if you were 8 and was your first RPG that's fine. Childhood memories are a treasure.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A legendary thread.

Like Artpop, Final Fantasy could mean anything. In the case of Final Fantasy 8, it means:

- A genre defining RPG, yet to be outclassed.

- A phenomenal, customizable battle system that can be avoided entirely (wow @ choosing your own play style!).

- Critical acclaim! FF8 joins the elite 90 + group on Metacritic, most of the other girls can't relate.

I8aqJjR.jpg

- Incredible graphics, yet to be matched in terms of art style and setting.

- The best soundtrack in a game this side of Chrono Cross.

- A movie and BOOK quality story.

- Remember when Final Fantasy 9 and Lost Odyssey tried it?

tuWFEvx.gif

- The best, most addictive and WORTHWHILE mini-game ever seen in Triple Triad. Better than any real life card game!

- LGBTQIA icon Zell. His obsession with stuffing his mouth with hot dogs and COMPLETE dismissal of that female library flop, in 1999 no less! FF8 battling homophobia, what were the other RPGs or games in general doing?

- The best romance in a game. Squall & Rinoa have yet to be outclassed (and Squall is still the series' best lead). Who doesn't tear up @ the ending when Rinoa repeats her "one dance" gesture from the beginning of the game?

mo1ddqv.gif

Unlike Artpop, which I spent 3 years pretending I liked, FF8 has been a top favorite of mine since its iconic release 20 years ago. I've yet to meet an unattractive or stupid-ass FF8 fan, they are ALWAYS hot and smart! An intelligent fan base that comes up with amazing theories like Squall = dead (disagree) and Rinoa = Ultimecia (disagree).

Wig @ Final Fantasy 8's lasting impact and the fact that, tied with Chrono Trigger, it's still the best game this medium has to offer.

LJywiY5.gif

A legendary post from one of the most legendary VIII stans!

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
The environments are some of the most imaginative and beautiful in a video game. Timber and its sequence was for reasons I can not put my finger on very unnerving.

Everything else was a failure of differing proportions. Particularly painful was the lolly scramble story.

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
This game is iconic and much more interesting that 99% of the jrpgs that came after it. Girl you know the developers had balls when they released a game THIS crazy and messy after their most successful project. very rock and roll. Square Enix of 2019 can't relate.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I remember not liking the Demo so much and by the time Dreamcast came out I just skipped the game all togther.

Luckily I still went back and played 9.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Man With the Machine Gun is still a god-tier track.

It's about the only thing I liked about this godawful game.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Square is doing a disservice by not putting this game on modern consoles. The PC version already exist and every other FF game is on them.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I love FF8 is because of Laguna. I'm not sure what exactly it was or where I was in my life at the moment, but Laguna as a character just stuck with me & ultimately I look back fondly at FF8 because of him. FF8 also gave me an appreciation for FF games including FF7, which I played for the first time a few months prior and hate it. Now I love it just not as much as FF8. I played both these games for the first time in 2013 on PC lol

Also quoting this because Laguna is the best
Great thread!

Laguna is absolutely my favorite Final Fantasy character, and easily the best in VIII:

- a soldier who wants to be a traveling writer
- so cool he has his own theme song
- has two fiercely loyal best bros
- his leg cramps around beautiful women
- he moonlights as a screen actor and the president of the most technologically advanced nation on the planet
- was elected president because tripped a sorceress into a time stasis machine, and then launched her into space
- carries around a copy of his son's collectible trading card, which probably wasn't easy to come by
- Moombas love him

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I loved FF 8, more than 7 even and this was the top of the series for me. Now it's Persona > FF.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Friendly reminder that the background art is currently being remastered in ESRGN and is available now but still in rough beta mode.

Here are some screenshots I've taken - it is still in a rough stage (some black lines and some unfinished areas) but looks great:

uqxPaIz.png

kycgnna.png

KP7AZlK.png

k6IPR9X.png

0TVFDPS.png

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that the background art is currently being remastered in ESRGN and is available now but still in rough beta mode.

Here are some screenshots I've taken - it is still in a rough stage (some black lines and some unfinished areas) but looks great:

uqxPaIz.png

kycgnna.png

KP7AZlK.png

k6IPR9X.png

0TVFDPS.png
Those character models need replacing. Pronto.

In this case the animations would actually work, unlike the character replacement in FFVII.

I mean I'd just stick to the PS1 version if that was the case
It looks even worse, though. Doubly so for FMV which are half the resolution than the PC version (small mercy).

At the time I was appalled that the prerendered backgrounds were upscales of the PSX images. Japanese development studios were such pieces of shit back then.

Last edited: