• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Despite everything, I love this game. It was the first Final Fantasy title I bought for PC. Two years ago I decided to replay the Steam version, but for some reason, I ended up dropping the game right before the end.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
20 years...wow, Despite the hate, FF8 will always be my second favorite RPG of all time. It has this quality that's so hard to describe. Triple Triad, GFs, Junctioning....it's all so much fun.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
20 years. The sad thing is I was not young when I bought this game.

Diablo, Baldurs Gate,Grandia and Legend of Mana where out right about the same time? There really was some great RPGs in the same window as VIII.

Nitroid

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for posting a bunch of the backgrounds signal! Here is a twitter that is posting a bunch of HQ shots of the backgrounds.

I seriously love this quote. It makes Ultimecia more human.

Hey, glad you're enjoying these!

Just want to add that these are my own ESRGAN-based upscales and they were not taken from the HQ texture mod. Presumably, the creator of that mod used a different data set for his upscales than I did (I used Manga109) which explains the difference in overall appearance to some of the screenshots posted elsewhere in the thread.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday to my favorite Final Fantasy. All these years later, and It still has the greatest soundtrack in the series.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing thread! Still probly my 2nd fav FF game behind FF7. Where's my FF8 re-release on these new consoles Square!!?? :p. I wish they would at least make the card game a spin-off. I can't remember exactly why, but I didn't like FF9's version of it nor FF11's (which might've been the same as 9? I can't remember lol). FF8 was just so dam good!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the same thing.
Mandela Effect from seeing the shoop I guess lol.

hrmm, he definitely takes her on a tour in disk 2 because he makes a 'joke' about being her girlfriend when you visit the infirmary, but looking at a few LPs looks like you can't actually go into the bed bit of that room. Damn.

also do ya'll remember that they straight up had a garden full of dinosaurs in balamb? Bad ass.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hrmm, he definitely takes her on a tour in disk 2 because he makes a 'joke' about being her girlfriend when you visit the infirmary, but looking at a few LPs looks like you can't actually go into the bed bit of that room. Damn.

also do ya'll remember that they straight up had a garden full of dinosaurs in balamb? Bad ass.

or that they had a basement housing an evil dude in a pod

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation twitter posted about the Anniversary

Too bad there is no announcement. ; ;
Hey, glad you're enjoying these!

Just want to add that these are my own ESRGAN-based upscales and they were not taken from the HQ texture mod. Presumably, the creator of that mod used a different data set for his upscales than I did (I used Manga109) which explains the difference in overall appearance to some of the screenshots posted elsewhere in the thread.
Oh cool thats your twitter! Thanks for posting them. <3

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is still the best airship in the series. It's so good looking.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
That Seifer fight has to be significantly less hype if you didn't bother to get Odin.

Odin was still a better GF than Gilgamesh though.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
That dude tweeting should have asked me for bg rips so the "ffdream" watermark isn't on every one lol.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
My biggest complaint with this game is how it dropped the dual plotlines with Squall and Laguna past the first disc.

I guess they were still there a bit, for a while, but Laguna faded out as the game went on. I tended to like his story segments better, so I was disappointed to see them become less and less prevalent.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
They should remake it so the game no longer sucks. The story, sidequests and especially the battle systems (junctions UGH what were they on when they thought that was a good idea) were terrible. I'm not surprised why it hasn't been rereleased.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should remake it so the game no longer sucks. The story, sidequests and especially the battle systems (junctions UGH what were they on when they thought that was a good idea) were terrible. I'm not surprised why it hasn't been rereleased.
The game doesnt suck. It's far from terrible.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest complaint with this game is how it dropped the dual plotlines with Squall and Laguna past the first disc.

I guess they were still there a bit, for a while, but Laguna faded out as the game went on. I tended to like his story segments better, so I was disappointed to see them become less and less prevalent.
Not really. They had those segments run up until the Space section(Winhill, Esthar, Sealing Adel, Orphanage, etc) and there was a story reason for it. One was because you were going to soon meet Laguna when travelling to Esthar while the other was Ellone beginning to understand that continuously sending Squall to the past wasn't going to change it as much as she wanted it to happen.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
My only issue with Laguna was how there was this obvious build up with Laguna about to confront Squall with the fact that he is his father but it never ends up happening due to time compression. I remember Laguna telling him that they had a lot to talk about once it was all over aboard the Ragnarok. I guess it is better in some ways that it is cryptic. I remember some fans refused to believe that Laguna was Squall's dad until Nomura/Kitase finally said it out loud in some interview lol.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

so basically remove everything that made ff8, ff8

just make a new game at that point.

And I don't get why people hated junctioning. Yeah, it could make the game super easy, but that's half the fun.

Nitroid

Oct 27, 2017
Possibly an unpopular opinion (well, probably not in this thread), but I really think that Final Fantasy VIII was one of those titles that was often too clever for its own good.

A common complaint was how contrived the "we were orphans together but forgot" subplot was, but it could easily be read as the franchise subtly lampooning its own "Warriors of Light" premise. Admittedly, this sounds like a stretch, but the game regularly makes a point of deconstructing Final Fantasy series tropes (e.g., the protagonists are more concerned with their own interpersonal issues than the fate of the world, which makes sense when you consider that, well, they're teenagers.)

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with Laguna was how there was this obvious build up with Laguna about to confront Squall with the fact that he is his father but it never ends up happening due to time compression. I remember Laguna telling him that they had a lot to talk about once it was all over aboard the Ragnarok. I guess it is better in some ways that it is cryptic. I remember some fans refused to believe that Laguna was Squall's dad until Nomura/Kitase finally said it out loud in some interview lol.
I actually love the way this was handled, very understated. In a different RPG this moment might've been a big scene, instead here it was quiet and subtle. The fact that this game has such bombastic writing in some areas and more restrained character moments in others is one of my favorite things about it.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the part where we start posting our favorite FFVIII AMVs?

This reminded me of an VIII AMV I used to watch all the time when I was younger. AMVs are so nostalgic lol

The game basically screams it at you that Laguna is his father so I'm surprised that many didn't get it. Squall is orphaned with Ellone who was staying with Raine and Laguna(Laguna obviously doesn't come back home) and that was due to Raine passing away. Laguna tells Squall they need to talk after and Kiros and Ward both comment on Squall being more like his mother and thankfully not like Laguna. I still loved piecing together certain parts of how they ended up seperated but again most is in your face.

If anything I was more disappointed that Laguna's role was barely anything once TC happens. Then again, he get's one of the most emotional and best parts in the ending.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Possibly an unpopular opinion (well, probably not in this thread), but I really think that Final Fantasy VIII was one of those titles that was often too clever for its own good.

A common complaint was how contrived the "we were orphans together but forgot" subplot was, but it could easily be read as the franchise subtly lampooning its own "Warriors of Light" premise. Admittedly, this sounds like a stretch, but the game regularly makes a point of deconstructing Final Fantasy series tropes (e.g., the protagonists are more concerned with their own interpersonal issues than the fate of the world, which makes sense when you consider that, well, they're teenagers.)
I think the only negative aspect about the orphanage sequence is that it didn't have enough foreshadowing (there is foreshadowing though - don't be mistaken, hehe) and it basically was the end for every character's development aside from Squall, Rinoa, and Zell. The way this game handles the theme of fate is both blatant and subtle. Everything is circular and everything was meant to be (even Squall and Rinoa's union was just a way of fate correcting Laguna and Julia being unable to rekindle their relationship). I really love this about the game and I think it is much better written than people make it out to be.

If anything I was more disappointed that Laguna's role was barely anything once TC happens. Then again, he get's one of the most emotional and best parts in the ending.
Laguna proposing to Raine while the orchestra swells in Eyes on Me never fails to make me cry a little.

They achieved SO much with that relationship with so little.

FFVIII_Laguna_Proposes.png

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

The orphan twist wasn't executed well but the actual story purpose of it is that Cid and Edea manipulated events to keep orphans together so that Squall always follows the path to killing Ultimecia. When Squall vists the orphanage during TC and ends up in the past, he tells Edea that she and Cid created Garden, SeeD and it's purpose which is to defeat Ultimecia. Edea realizes who Squall is which then starts her and Cid's plan to lead him. They recruit the orphans(White SeeD are from the orphanage as well and are there to serve Edea) while Squall, Quistis, Seifer and Zell are kept close and then brought in to garden. Since Cid knows who is from the orphanage he makes them team up together hence Selphie being grouped in.

The Guardian Force memory loss is hidden by Balamb Garden while other places disagree with using them because of the side effect. Cid making these children use powerful monsters from a young age allows them to grow up without remembering the orphanage however one problem was Irvine who attended Galbadia and they don't use GF.

I think with some additional scene tweaking and a bit more clarification on Edea/Cid's roles the Orphanage twist is one of the most interesting parts of the game.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Funny coincidence as I did not know this game was rereleasing and just got my first tattoo from the gunblade revolver this past weekend!

I think the universe is telling me something, maybe now its a good time to finally beat this game after all these years.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Dissidia NT arcade account finally posted something!

So far Playstation, Opera Omnia JP and Global, Final Fantasy JP and Final Fantasy(retweet) have posted about the Anniversary. Record Keeper, Brave Exvius XIV(though gunbreaker is basically its celebration) and SE are the only ones that haven't.
Laguna proposing to Raine while the orchestra swells in Eyes on Me never fails to make me cry a little.

They achieved SO much with that relationship with so little.

FFVIII_Laguna_Proposes.png
One of my favourite moments. Eyes On Me ending version is best version.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Jesus the Memories of this game...
I wish there was a RE2R remake like project for this game. Still my favourite FF game to this day.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this thread Wazzy, one of my favorite games.

The beginning of Eyes On Me always gets me.

Also I still have no idea why they're not re-releasing it :\ 20th anniversary would have been perfect.

Last edited:

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking great game. I still remember a myriad of moments in this game.. and it's an old ass game. Just a phenomenal work.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still salty Square Enix didn't give Triple Triad the proper love it deserved. Instead its hidden in the Final Fantasy Portal App and paywalled behind FF14 and it's really shithouse. Imagine if FF15 had Triple Triad where you can walk around and battle NPCs. FF13 might of been bearable if it had Triple Triad.

Seriously best mini game in a game ever.

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
i crying right now really, i bought this game with my allowance that i saved months of hard "work" (taking the trash out, cleaning my room etc) but i didnt know at the time that i was going to buy this game, i just saved the money for a ps1 game so i went all by myself in a bus 6 miles away from home enter the store started to look around the ps1 section i ask the clerk hi's recommendation (they were bad xD) and saw a couple of games that caught my attention: final fantasy viii and brave fencer musashi... never regret picking the best FF game ever (to me at least) i have so many good memories at that age with my best friend that until this day i have (im 34) i had literally an english dictionary to my side every time i need to understand some words because im not a native english speaker and back then i had a little knowledge of this language so imagine how hard it was for me and my friend xD we went to the super market to read some gaming magazines and see those guides with secret stuff. and then i remember i was about to finish the game and didnt know about the 20min cgi ending but i had my VCR ready because i saved all the cut scenes on a VHS oh man miss those days T_T

ps. sry for the long post :D
ps2. my friend bought FFIX next (one of my favs too and his) and for X I bought it without even having a ps2, but that's another story xD

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I loved this game. Remember pestering my parents for a PS1 to play it. I put over 100 hours in. I had a guide, too. I worry that if I replayed it, it wouldn't match how good it was in my memories.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I visited a friend back in the day who had the game. That goddamn intro blew my mind. Then my friend showed off Squall's Limit Break and that was it, I HAD TO GET THIS GAME. Begged my parents for weeks and they finally bought it for me. I didn't understand anything about the junction system and still made it to Ultimecia. I am sorry but that was the golden age of gaming for me, I will forever cherish these memories. Oh and best OST in the series, Uematsu did not fuck around.

personaplace

Oct 29, 2017
I recently had a break-in and my 30 years' worth of games and systems were stolen, including this gem. This thread makes me sad but I'll never forget what it was like to play this as a kid on 9/9/99.