• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_inline_p1re4fUmsi1r2mxx4_540.gif

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to compile all the twitters/places that celebrated the Anniversary into a couple posts and then I can link to them in the OP. I'll probably miss some but these are the biggest accounts I found:

Playstation:

Final Fantasy JP:

Final Fantasy Opera Omnia JP:

Final Fantasy Opera Omnia Global + Final Fantasy Twitter Retweeted:

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Dissidia NT:

Gamespot:

Siliconera:

Hollie Bennett:

Jeremy Parish also posted about the Anniversary. The Anniversary # is full of love, artwork and demands for ports. I really hope SE has something planned and that's why they are keeping quiet since pretty much every other official FF account commented.

The other biggest part is the VIII tweets were generally the highest likes on each twitter that posted about it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with Laguna was how there was this obvious build up with Laguna about to confront Squall with the fact that he is his father but it never ends up happening due to time compression. I remember Laguna telling him that they had a lot to talk about once it was all over aboard the Ragnarok. I guess it is better in some ways that it is cryptic. I remember some fans refused to believe that Laguna was Squall's dad until Nomura/Kitase finally said it out loud in some interview lol.

I actually love the way this was handled, very understated. In a different RPG this moment might've been a big scene, instead here it was quiet and subtle. The fact that this game has such bombastic writing in some areas and more restrained character moments in others is one of my favorite things about it.

Kitase and Nomura did something similar in FFVI with Shadow being hinted at being Relm's father but not outright saying it during the course of the game.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dissidia NT:

Gamespot:

Siliconera:

Hollie Bennett:

Jeremy Parish also posted about the Anniversary. The Anniversary # is full of love, artwork and demands for ports. I really hope SE has something planned and that's why they are keeping quiet since pretty much every other official FF account commented.

The other biggest part is the VIII tweets were generally the highest likes on each twitter that posted about it.

Thanks for compiling all the big tweets Wazzy. The lack of a mention from the official FF account hurts a lot but I'm hoping they chose to stay silent because they either have something in the works or they didn't want to be bombarded with port demands (or both). That being said, it's fantastic to see so much love for VIII come out on its anniversary. Really gives me hope that it'll catch the eye of SE if they haven't started work on a port yet.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I've got a lot of fond memories of 8, but the last time I played it, I was in 8th grade.

I *could* give it a shot again, but I don't want to tarnish my memories

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed playing the game when I was a kid, though never understood the junction system at that age lol

The music is just amazing...
And it always surprised me why they went with such young ages for the main chast.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If it's any consolation. I know first hand that Square has attempted to port FF8. So it's just a matter of time at this point until it happens.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Where is FFVIII on PS4 and Switch, release it you cowards!

Unless you are making a remake on FFXV's engine, then show us a trailer! I need my FFVIII fix.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss Wazzy I was crossing my fingers during FF segment as well.
Where is FFVIII on PS4 and Switch, release it you cowards!

Unless you are making a remake on FFXV's engine, then show us a trailer! I need my FFVIII fix.
Lmao just remembered they aren't releasing 8 on the Switch and Xbox and stuff and its the 20th anniversary. SE what is you doing?
ufKXe2U.gif

It hurts. WHY SE WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Though it hurts now I'm still hoping that we see something at a sony event and it's the only reason I now think we have yet to see anything. I'm guessing Sony still get's to release the port first and wants to show it.

but it's the month of the anniversary and nothing. This sucks.

If it's any consolation. I know first hand that Square has attempted to port FF8. So it's just a matter of time at this point until it happens.
I know Kitase also said it's possible. I'm just bummed that SE didn't acknowledge the anniversary in any way. Only the FF accounts did.

It's like SE wants me to suffer. ; ;

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
ufKXe2U.gif

It hurts. WHY SE WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Though it hurts now I'm still hoping that we see something at a sony event and it's the only reason I now think we have yet to see anything. I'm guessing Sony still get's to release the port first and wants to show it.

but it's the month of the anniversary and nothing. This sucks.

I know Kitase also said it's possible. I'm just bummed that SE didn't acknowledge the anniversary in any way. Only the FF accounts did.

It's like SE wants me to suffer. ; ;
Yeah hopefully it gets announced later in the year because its bizarre.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao just remembered they aren't releasing 8 on the Switch and Xbox and stuff and its the 20th anniversary. SE what is you doing?

That's the thing though. Square finally released all VII and IX on non-Sony systems, yet FFVIII, which is FFVII and FFIX's pier, is still nowhere to be seen. If anything it would probably be released o PS4 first since that's the pattern so far.

Release on PS4, then on whatever else. Regardless, bummed to not see any news.

Square finally gave in and put the other two out on almost everything yet FFVIII is stuck on Steam and Sony systems that predate PS4.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's OK FFVIII fam. Once we hit time kompression this will all be a distant memory and we'll be enjoying the FFVIII remake on PS5, Xbox One Z, Switch 2 and PC instantaneously.

WE BELIEVE YOU QUEEN

GlisteningRequiredCornsnake-small.gif

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
Even Nintendo knows how how much this installment stunk.
I am curious as to why they haven't rereleased it, even though I hope it never does.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
So now us VIII fans have to reset the excitement for a potential port and see when the next biggest events that could have it will be.

TGS is a likely one but so is E3. I think Sony is revealing the port but maybe SE just does it.
It's OK FFVIII fam. Once we hit time kompression this will all be a distant memory and we'll be enjoying the FFVIII remake on PS5, Xbox One Z, Switch 2 and PC instantaneously.

WE BELIEVE YOU QUEEN

GlisteningRequiredCornsnake-small.gif
ULTIMECIA WAS RIGHT.

KOMPRESS IT ALL.
Even Nintendo knows how how much this installment stunk.
I am curious as to why they haven't rereleased it, even though I hope it never does.
Nintendo has nothing to do with it lol

Square Enix is responsible.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Even if VIII was getting an enhanced remaster or something, Square Enix should at least port it over to other consoles so that more people can try the game out.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wazzy Our day will come soon. We've been on this train long enough that we don't give up shit when SE stays radio silent. All we do is

JollyAdvancedAtlanticsharpnosepuffer-size_restricted.gif

Beatofficer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to do a lot of things to have this get the treatment 7,9,10,12 did on current gen consoles. My favorite FF ever.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
Tired of all these stupid posts about FFVIII not being ported because it sucks or wouldn't sell or whatever.

From all my research, FFVIII is actually one of the series' best selling titles, and continues to be on Steam. According to this page (https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games), FFVIII is the third best selling game in the series (excluding multiplayer FFXIV and the bundles for FFVI).

If we take into account the argument that most people only bought FFVIII based on their experience with FFVII, we can look at Steam sales instead, where knowledge of FFVIII's "reputation" would already be widely known through others or through reviews. Using Steam Spy, we can see that FFVIII has sold well there as well, selling nearly double the sales of FFIX.

So, FFVIII is definitely not being ignored because it sucks or it wouldn't sell, because it clearly has a bigger audience and better sales than most other Final Fantasy games. The reason lies elsewhere, either with the source code or something else.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
For the 100th time, a VIII port isn't being ignored, I'm still pretty sure it's just being held back like SE does with plenty of games. This company loves drip feeding this rereleases.

Look at how many FF releases they have to burn through this year. There's already five confirmed and four of them within the next three months. The whole year is the anniversary, let them bang out VII/IX/X/XII and get to the Western anniversary of VIII before starting to panic.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
For the 100th time, a VIII port isn't being ignored, I'm still pretty sure it's just being held back like SE does with plenty of games. This company loves drip feeding this rereleases.

Look at how many FF releases they have to burn through this year. There's already five confirmed and four of them within the next three months. The whole year is the anniversary, let them bang out VII/IX/X/XII and get to the Western anniversary of VIII before starting to panic.
The disappointment isn't because there isn't a port yet though it obviously contributes with the fact all FF games are available EXCEPT VIII. It's the fact SE refused to even acknowledge VIII on the anniversary that is upsetting. No mention of it and then 2 days later they are promoting IX and VII + doing celebration artwork for IX release.

I fully believe an VIII port will happen and I'm also starting to think it being held back will be for a good reason however I still expected the anniversary to be mentioned which isn't asking a lot considering plenty of accounts did. The direct hype was more of a hope the silence was because of it but most of us didn't truly believe it was coming.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The disappointment isn't because there isn't a port yet though it obviously contributes with the fact all FF games are available EXCEPT VIII. It's the fact SE refused to even acknowledge VIII on the anniversary that is upsetting. No mention of it and then 2 days later they are promoting IX and VII + doing celebration artwork for IX release.

I fully believe an VIII port will happen and I'm also starting to think it being held back will be for a good reason however I still expected the anniversary to be mentioned which isn't asking a lot considering plenty of accounts did. The direct hype was more of a hope the silence was because of it but most of us didn't truly believe it was coming.

I wonder if we'll get something at E3 or TGS

or maybe just after they finish releasing the ports of the other games to Switch & Xbox

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My hope is that Square Enix teases a major FF presence at E3 and whips everyone into a frenzy of speculative FFVIIR excitement, then announces an FFVIII port/remaster and says nothing about VIIR. Barring that, I would like to see them both at E3 yea.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed this on the pc but I stopped playing due to other games. iirc the original pc sound font was worse than the PS's until you modded it.

I also remember seeing FF8 in ...

9XsYYne.gif

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Some parts of the game were cool I guess. Uh, happy anniversary. That's all I got.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Favorite FF. I loved breaking the Junction system so much.

If I had to do a FF order it would be : 8,6,7,5,3,T0,9..then after that maybe X

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to post the enemy/Summon art that is done in Mobius for Final Fantasy VIII.

Enemies:
Ne9EZDx.jpg

8cb5b3156b80bf46861e51f58e47ebe07c5c078a.jpg

2019y01m31d_2056471262.jpg

300px-Card_2340_EN_Snow_Lion_3.png

Bosses:
r7b9oF9.jpg

8XZx4Qm.jpg

EJmPQCb.jpg

2019y01m31d_2056530273.jpg

Scz8sdQ.jpg

lbt2J83.jpg

b44b56b145bac342dcedc1f2966439b94e9874f6.jpg

5b2cddf59cb2f98b0c50757447cbb4f98ffc2937.jpg

Summons:
40cfcae28b11131fdac2449c55e83e5ab422bb53.jpg

39899f99b6920cf25e589b408b8c6ff143f1676e.jpg

fz1nqIO.jpg

079d86515e976a6fd70e7dd9775711bb0a8d125c.jpg

8785cf6cbc8f3269d701ad943c503099e4a0bca4.jpg

73b721a083799e8596433300dcd0bf2576723fdc.jpg

3b13487828602e0e5a5c3318d0359f484ab85af7.jpg

6a160de5902a5a3b63fb1416fbfaffcfffb259dc.jpg

2019y01m31d_2056434958.jpg

951fd45c54a2692ca64775e0e2a6b6aa247597c8.jpg

There is more but I wanted to post VIII specific ones.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I've played more FFVIII than any other FF outside of X. To me its always about guardian forces and its what got me so addicted to the summons being a huge integral part of the party. It's probably also why I love X so damn much is because you have direct control and interaction with the summons, as well as upgrading them.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We better get a Rerelease announcement this year.

First played it on Vita and never actually beat it. I would like to remedy that.

Oct 27, 2017
so basically remove everything that made ff8, ff8

just make a new game at that point.

And I don't get why people hated junctioning. Yeah, it could make the game super easy, but that's half the fun.
yep never understood it either its got an amazing battle system.... you literally never have to draw from an enemy and the best way to play is a low level or level 1 play-through... and once you get no- encounter only boss battles from then on out. Now if you hate the card mini game then I just wouldn't play the game at all. but its fun and addicting. Collecting cards is soooooo fun.