• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
That's a great top-3

Final Fantasy hit it's stride and the FFVII-FFX is the golden age of the series.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am surprised to be honest. Don't hear as much about Final Fantasy 8, not even speedruns or anything like that and it's also the only one I never played to the end lol

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to blame any game for IX selling less blame X.

IX,X and XI were announced the same day and with the PS2's hype IX was an afterthought the day it was announced.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazingly, there can be multiple reasons as to why things succeed.

I never said there couldn't be, but read back through this thread and you'll see every excuse under the sun used to undermine VIII's success. Yes, VII was a big help and no one's denying that, but at some point people have to acknowledge that some of those 9 million copies were because people genuinely considered it a good game (this part isn't directed at you btw, just the thread in general).

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"No one" bought IX for the same reason no one bought Chrono Cross: PS2. Why can't we enjoy both? IX is my favorite FF ever but VIII comes very close and I like them both.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I know I only bought it because of VII and came away thoroughly unimpressed.
For me it's definitely the FF with the weakest Story and characters and the most jarringly disjointed world. Best soundtrack and fun, exploitable gameplay though.
This sounds more descriptive of XIII than anything else, not that XV is particularly noteworthy in respect to those things either.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
In addition, Square Enix also announced that Final Fantasy VIII has now surpassed over 9.6 million copies sold worldwide. This places it as the third best selling game in the series behind Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X which Square Enix has refused to update sales figures for following the release of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster in 2013.

The best three in the series sold the most. Well deserved.

I'm so tempted to buy the VIII remaster, but I just don't have time to play it now.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
still have my original ps1 copy somewhere. 899 AUT Schilling was a ton of money for a 12 year old, but soooo worth it.
I remeber buying this around january 1999 and playing it packed in an extra blanket, becasue I would not move for hours and ti got chilly.

Oct 27, 2017
I still find these "because of 7" posts ironic lol.

Why was 7 successful again? Marketing, word of mouth, introduction to the series/genre for many...

And guess what, there's no doubt a good chunk of folks who fell off of 7 when it looked and played nothing like the cg commercials and didn't line up for 8 as a result. Otherwise, by your logic, VIII should be #1 if that was all it took. But it's almost like people's tastes as well as hype are factors...

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I always wondered if IX reverting back to a cartoony art-style after VIII and X tried to be more realistic turned a lot of people off from it.

That, and the emphasis on fantasy over Sci-Fi, is what turned me off from IX. In fact, I probably wouldn't have played it if I hadn't gotten it as a gift. It just didn't draw me in like VIII did, and it took me a long time to crawl IX through. It was the opposite with VIII, where I just couldn't stop playing it. It's also the only game in the series, that I've played through twice.

Of course, people will buy a ton of copies of the next Final Fantasy game after FFVII. It's telling how that momentum dropped off for FFIX because of FFVIII.

Personally speaking, the pre-release material of IX was enough to sway me from buying it. It felt like a step backwards, when VIII was a huge step forward. Luckily, X corrected the course, and was a day one buy for me, just like VIII was.

Kain

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
hot take: 7 and 8 are both shit and only looked back fondly because of nostalgia.

Eeeeeeeh not such a hot take, people have been saying that since forever.

I wouldn't say shit, but they're not SO SO good, especially 7. 8 was and still is quite revolutionary in many gameplay aspects as far as rpgs go.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eeeeeeeh not such a hot take, people have been saying that since forever.

I wouldn't say shit, but they're not SO SO good, especially 7. 8 was and still is quite revolutionary in many gameplay aspects as far as rpgs go.

7 and 8 went full teenage angst, which i guess was really cool back then but it is unbearable today.

Kain

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
7 and 8 went full teenage angst, which i guess was really cool back then but it is unbearable today.

In VIII case maybe, in VII I have to disagree. VII is not Advent Children and compilation shit, Cloud for example is a completely different (and better) character in the original game. And all the characters are adults except Yuffie who is like, 17 and she acts the part. VIII is another beast, but it's more edgy than teenage 90's angst I'd say. Squall saying whatever constantly doesn't help, that's for sure lol

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's an amazing game with a pretty weak last boss (she's hard as fuck if you don't know what you're doing) and weak story. It's the first LOST or Game of Thrones ending I have ever dealt with.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is how I see it. VII and VIII shaped people's expectations, and IX simply didn't fit them. PS1 and all related software sales didn't just vanish overnight when PS2 arrived. XII didn't line up with what people were looking for after X either, and the launch of PS3 was even less of an excuse, yet another backward compatible system (every given model with hardware-based PS2 BC back then) that unlike PS2, struggled out the gate, and had anemic early offerings specific to the platform even by launch game standards. I love XII, yet hardly consider PS3's launch of all things an excuse for the original release's underwhelming commercial performance.

You're seeing it wrong. There is a reason Square doesn't announce several FFs at the same time anymore. And FFIX had to fight against Dragon Quest VII, and then FFX a year later. You had to call yourself Gran Turismo to have as much lasting power that late into the lifecycle

FFXII was released when Oblivion already came out. Come on now. The market wasn't the same anymore, and the Xbox 360 was killing it, try putting your PS2 disc in there.

And selling 6+ millions when the game came out and the market shrank is a very good outlook. FFXII Zodiac Age reached million seller status in three months on one platform.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
JRPG mania was at hits night at that point, I really don't see that as that crazy of a fact. I just remember at that time all of the talk was about how much time you could get out of a 50 dollar game, and because Legend of Dragoon was spread over 4-discs that a lot of my fiends were even hyping that game. It wasn't a terrible game, but with so many other JRPGs out, especially coming from the square and Enix pedigree, it LoD just didn't stack up. People were hungry for games at that time. Especially people still in high school and college that wanted the most bang for their buck!

Some parts of FFVIII are completely broken, the story isn't always hitting its stride, but it's one of my favorite games from the series overall. Just really stuck a cord for me!

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
So you know how terrible FF8 was, look at how discussion been around Final Fantasy the last 20 years. It mostly centered around 6,7,9,10, and 12 (how good it might have been). Heck, even 13 is discussed a lot for the wrong reasons.
Completely undeserved sales.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you know how terrible FF8 was, look at how discussion been around Final Fantasy the last 20 years. It mostly centered around 6,7,9,10, and 12 (how good it might have been). Completely undeserved sales.
But FF8 is a critical success tho'. And the sales are great. And the preorders are apparently good, if we refer to Steam. It's strange for a "terrible" game that "no one talks about", don't you think ?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Are we really hating on ix in this thread? Smh.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by this, it's a good game. But I'm sure Squenix is considering how long they put off this remaster and try and forget this game happened for some reason. I'm glad sales are proving then wrong here.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
So you know how terrible FF8 was, look at how discussion been around Final Fantasy the last 20 years. It mostly centered around 6,7,9,10, and 12 (how good it might have been). Heck, even 13 is discussed a lot for the wrong reasons.

Lmao @ FFXII. You take in what people post on the forums too much. FFIV, VI, VII, IX and X are what has been considered top 5.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm not even sure i already had a conversation with someone IRL about Final Fantasy XII lol. Definitively a forum board thing.

Bro, anyone I talked to always bring up those 5 games. Never FFXII. FFXII started getting this massive love when FFXIII and even more with TZA. Back in 2006? Lmao.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Also pretty impressed this game is still 3rd despite only having the PS1 release, the original PC release and steam. You'd think the way people praise IX and XII that they would be higher now especially that it's also on more platforms. Not to nention if "IX did horrible because of VIII", why would anyone bother with X after skipping IX, and X being the second best selling.

Tom Holland's Spiderman sells for a truckload more than Spiderverse but Spiderverse will always be more culturally significant. Sales isn't an indicator for shit when it comes to praise and how much they impact an industry.

Lmao @ FFXII. You take in what people post on the forums too much. FFIV, VI, VII, IX and X are what has been considered top 5.

FFXII is literally top 5 though, both in sales and rankings. Its remaster is still the highest rated single-player FF since the original FF12 came out.
The remaster was a million-seller in three months, which is a potentially faster turnaround than FFX/X-2 HD despite the latter selling on two platforms and being two games.

Your neighbour not knowing what FF12 isn't an indicator of anything.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy IV? Noooo. A few old timer journalists put it in their best of lists (as you'd expect because of their nostalgia) but otherwise IV rarely makes it into any kind of rankings.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I still find these "because of 7" posts ironic lol.

Why was 7 successful again? Marketing, word of mouth, introduction to the series/genre for many...

And guess what, there's no doubt a good chunk of folks who fell off of 7 when it looked and played nothing like the cg commercials and didn't line up for 8 as a result. Otherwise, by your logic, VIII should be #1 if that was all it took. But it's almost like people's tastes as well as hype are factors...

Are you seriously denying the impact FF7 had on the JRPG markets? Are you seriously denying the fact that FF7 is what made JRPG a thing in the West?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously denying the impact FF7 had on the JRPG markets? Are you seriously denying the fact that FF7 is what made JRPG a thing in the West?
People here are denying every quality FF8 has. That should surprise you more than what he said about FF7.

Jan 11, 2018
Well-deserved. And no, definitely not just because of FFVII. It's as stupid as saying Breath of the Wild is such as success because of Skyward Sword.

I wonder what the final sales figure of FFXV will be, given that it's probably close to 9 million at this point.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Sorry FF7 fans, I never played the original and finished VIII 3 times. Maybe VIII is just more appealing. I finished 9, it is a great game but it wasn't as interesting as VIII. Kuja was boring, limit break>>>trance.

Not surprised, one of the best games OF ALL TIME.
Nice. FF8 is my favorite in the series.
VIII deserves every bit of praise it gets.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
VIII has also outsold IX on Steam according to SteamSpy, well after VIII's "reputation" would be well-known by players. Just a bunch of excuses from salty IX fans who seem to love attacking VIII for some reason.

Kitase's holy trifecta (FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, we can count FFVI too, which he co-directed with Ito) have always been the most popular entries in the series and they were all critically acclaimed, but as always forum echo chambers paint a different picture than reality. The vocal haters are always a minority, but they like to repeat ad infinitum how much they hate a game. Looking at Wazzy's FFVIII giveaway thread, It's all about people loving the game.
The problem with the FF fanbase is that some fans have extreme opinions about one or two entries, the fact is that every FF is something special, the only one we can call a disappointment was FFXIII.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Or it's the vocal few, who even after 20 years can't get over that others like what they don't.

VIII has also outsold IX on Steam according to SteamSpy, well after VIII's "reputation" would be well-known by players. Just a bunch of excuses from salty IX fans who seem to love attacking VIII for some reason.
Kitase's holy trifecta (FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, we can count FFVI too, which he co-directed with Ito) have always been the most popular entries in the series and they were all critically acclaimed, but as always forum echo chambers paint a different picture than reality. The vocal haters are always a minority, but they like to repeat ad infinitum how much they hate a game. Looking at Wazzy's FFVIII giveaway thread, It's all about people loving the game.
The problem with the FF fanbase is that some fans have extreme opinions about one or two entries, the fact is that every FF is something special, the only one we can call a disappointment was FFXIII.

Exactly.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
You're seeing it wrong. There is a reason Square doesn't announce several FFs at the same time anymore. And FFIX had to fight against Dragon Quest VII, and then FFX a year later. You had to call yourself Gran Turismo to have as much lasting power that late into the lifecycle

FFXII was released when Oblivion already came out. Come on now. The market wasn't the same anymore, and the Xbox 360 was killing it, try putting your PS2 disc in there.

And selling 6+ millions when the game came out and the market shrank is a very good outlook. FFXII Zodiac Age reached million seller status in three months on one platform.
Did FFIX really have to fight against DQVII, though? I have no reason to view it as having been relevant outside of Japan. The freshness of FFX could be argued as an actual problem for IX.

Was never under the impression that WRPGs becoming more prominent on consoles was an issue as early as Oblivion, either. Can concede that the market had already been changing even before the transition to the seventh gen, far different from the JRPG Golden Age that PS1 represented (in terms of both quality and output).