• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
In addition, Square Enix also announced that Final Fantasy VIII has now surpassed over 9.6 million copies sold worldwide. This places it as the third best selling game in the series behind Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X which Square Enix has refused to update sales figures for following the release of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster in 2013.

Revealed this week, it is the third best selling Final Fantasy title according to Square Enix. The other two being VII and X. Surprised?

tumblr_pwif8aiJQi1vh7w9to1_540.gifv

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the hype for this game being through the roof before it actually launched, so no, I'm not really surprised.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
not at all. 8 was the followup to 7. 7, 8 and 10 will always be the top 3 given how the franchise exploded during that time. 9 came along when the ps2 was launching and wasn't as big of a deal.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
It's not surprising when you consider how huge VII was and how it radically expanded the FF fanbase. VIII was the next game so people were hyped for it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
not at all. 8 was the followup to 7. 7, 8 and 10 will always be the top 3 given how the franchise exploded during that time. 9 came along when the ps2 was launching and wasn't as big of a deal.

I always wondered if IX reverting back to a cartoony art-style after VIII and X tried to be more realistic turned a lot of people off from it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much deserved, amazing game.

The world, music, characters etc., everything is so good.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its kinda surprising, because viii remaster was not released yet, and many ff received remastered ports or remakes.

Oct 27, 2017
I never played or cared for 7 other than taking turns at a friend's house...

So lol at anyone saying "because of 7". Hell, I'm sure you could say its style turned some 7 fans away and still be right. Meanwhile I'm sure there were many like me who simply fell in love with VIII's aesthetic compared to VII's.

And let's not forget why VII sold so well. New system, hype marketing etc etc. Double edged sword.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It came out after FFmania took the world by storm and it was cool to like JRPGs.

Mind, I don't think the success is undeserved. It's a fine game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Carried by the success of FF7 and being the direct sequel, it wouldn't have done that well on it's own merits.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
The whiplash I'm feeling from the back and forth debate on FFVIII's quality is immense.

FFVIII is great. It has always been great.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I kinda wonder how it's aged. I haven't played it in a very long time, but I wonder if the overtly childish theme of 8 will be a turn off. I liked the me a game a lot originally, but at the same time I didn't really find any of the players terribly memorable and I'm not sure I have the patience to play as a melodramatic teenager anymore. The story was also far too convoluted.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is but ix is highly overrated especially compared to two much better games in the ps1
I always see IX as being a bad nostalgia grab, being way, way too safe.

Or as a bad best of with 2 great songs and 10 of the worst songs ever made by the same artist.

Final Fantasy 8 at least TRIED something. It's not perfect, but in the end, it's a way more interesting game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Now the remaster make way more sense.

Remasters for all 11 classic FF games make sense (not counting 11 since it's an mmo), what held up 8 was the lost source code. It's why the 8 remaster is such higher quality then the other remasters, a lot more of the game had to be redone.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Huh.
PoliticalUniformCrocodileskink-size_restricted.gif

FFVIII is great. It's goofy and at times makes little sense, but it's just so EARNEST, dang it.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many posts trying to find reasons to downplay the game's success.

smh
The salt is palpable <3. I'm having a great time reading this thread.

So far :

- The game sold well only because of Final Fantasy VII
- FF9 has been robbed blabla (Funny that FF9 sold less, since the game was what everybody was asking at the time, a return to the "old formula")
- The game was critically acclaimed, but FF8 is garbage, so i guess critics were paid by Square ?

Last edited: