• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never forget!

b04.jpg
Aww sheet. A free ride, I am about to preorder and

*Toyota Echo*

Never mind!

Jan 11, 2018
The only thing I know is that Wong has rights to the performance itself

Source?

If anything, it's more likely that a record label, be it hers (at the time) or Square Enix Music own it. I know Asian copyright laws tend to be different (and significantly worse) than in the West, but I've never heard of an actual performer owning their own recordings unless they paid for it themselves.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This announcement inspired me to challenge just about everybody I come across in FF14 to Triple triad. Had ignored it forever.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god these look so nice! I actually just recently played the steam version for the first time about a month ago (I only had the original playstation discs before) and I thought THAT looked good. This is going to be so great.

They made the backgrounds a lot worse in FFIX remaster.

But if you get the PC version, know that HD versions have already been redrawn for most backgrounds so we'll make it top tier :) .

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I need a release date!
And I'm gonna be real mad if it doesn't come with a dynamic theme like with VII & IX.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
I'm quite excited to play this again. I tried the old version and its still good but plays a bit slowly for it to be totally enjoyable.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I usually do care a lot about trophies/achievements in Final Fantasy games so knowing me i'm going to go for 100% in this remaster like I did with all of X remaster and X-2 +last mission.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I usually do care a lot about trophies/achievements in Final Fantasy games so knowing me i'm going to go for 100% in this remaster like I did with all of X remaster and X-2 +last mission.
I've got them in every mainline FF except XIV

I'm not looking forward to the eventual XIII trilogy rerelease and doing those again

They'll probably look gorgeous at 4k on PS5 though

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

I'm not looking forward to the eventual XIII trilogy rerelease and doing those again

Wow, nice! I mean I have all remasters done so far, the XIII trilogy but sadly it was on 360 so I dont have that collection on ps4 which is now my permanent console as of years ago, xD. I left XV behind because I was too bitter about the story. I should go back and take on more of the endgame dungeons in that....

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf they are redrawing the decors aswell? that's much better then the FF7 or 9 remasters then

Of course not.

Xiii-2 is a great game.

They should have never called it Xiii-2 for a lot of reasons.

Lightning returns will never look good but the first two will.

2 already looks great.

iXdemfW.jpg

lURxA6X.jpg

q81FELd.jpg

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
I'm not a trophy fan but for FF games I usually do try and get all of them. The exception is FFIX I refuse to get all the trophies for that game. They are ridiculous, 1000 jump rope? Really? I draw the line with that.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PS4 or Switch, that is the question.

I feel like I'd try and Platinum it if I got PS4.

But portable on Switch.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
They should release Triple Triad as a separate F2P game as a demo for FF8. I just think it would do well

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
After what they did with IX, I don't trust the trophies to be reasonable here. The jump rope requirement was absolutely bullshit imo
I'd be surprised if the trophy list wasn't just the Steam achievement list. The most annoying one would be farming 10k kills, you can't even fight mobs until after you've beaten the game because you also need base level Squall.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That jump rope trash still pisses me off. I got to like 200 once and it nearly gave me a heart attack I was so worried I'd fuck up, which naturally caused me to fuck up. IX literally tries to murder people. I haven't seen the Steam achievements but VIII isn't evil so they couldn't possibly be worse.

Anyway we shouldn't be bringing up bad memories and talking about IX so much in a thread about the amazing school and students of Balamb Garden. She doesn't even go here.

Mar 25, 2019
Curious if it will be a low effort release like FF7 and FF9 or something more like 12 IZJS. Can't say I'd be interested unless the game had some fixes. Fuck Draw.
I'm positive it will be more like the 7 and 9 remasters. 10 and 12, being for PS2 and having actual 3D environments were more feasible to do a full remaster for because you can simply upscale the textures. With the PS1 FFs, all the backgrounds were low-res 2D images. All that art would need to be completely re-created. That's cost-prohibitive

Mar 25, 2019
That jump rope trash still pisses me off. I got to like 200 once and it nearly gave me a heart attack I was so worried I'd fuck up, which naturally caused me to fuck up. IX literally tries to murder people. I haven't seen the Steam achievements but VIII isn't evil so they couldn't possibly be worse.

Anyway we shouldn't be bringing up bad memories and talking about IX so much in a thread about the amazing school and students of Balamb Garden. She doesn't even go here.
Has there ever been a FF mini game that was actually "fun"? LOL

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
With the PS1 FFs, all the backgrounds were low-res 2D images. All that art would need to be completely re-created. That's cost-prohibitive
Not exactly, there's ways and means to upscale cheaply and cleanly, although they'd have to be optional because there's no way to do it that will suit everyone's tastes.

Has there ever been a FF mini game that was actually "fun"? LOL
You're asking this in an FF8 thread with Triple Triad the GOAT?

Oct 30, 2017
PS1 Trilogy are just a timeless masterpiece... they released within 3 years on the same console yet each was different and very unique.

FFVII was very Cyberpunki mixed with old and current timeline.
FFVIII they went completely futuristic feelings and with desings IMO the best in the franchise and one of the best in the industry.
FFIX they went back to the roots and fairy tales settings.

Even though FFVII is my favorite and FFIX is the perfect FF to me... FFVIII is the most beautiful and dearest to me because of the world designs.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Probably gonna wait a few days after release to assess what the PC modding scene is like before making a purchasing decision.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
This game has always looked oddly alluring to me, but from afar I don't quite understand what kind of world or setup it has. Looks like the civilized areas have a modern flair but the countryside is fantasy? Bit like FFXV? What's the premise here?

The design of FF8 is influenced by one of my favourite SF conceits that informs the look and politics of the world ever.

Basically all you need to know is that almost two decades before the start of the game, interference made radio transmission impossible across the globe.

Now we humans depend on radio-frequency communication for a LOT. So picture a developed world where all information has to travel by cable (which can be severed easily and is hard to build out) or couriered from place to place.

Suddenly, states become more feudal. Travel becomes more important. Small towns become more isolated and parochial. Communities and regions are able to operate unnoticed if they wish. There are entire radio-transmission infrastructures now useless, eerie, and abandoned like the Duga radar array by Chernobyl.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish square would try making new final fantasies in this style with pre rendered backgrounds, why does every new final fantasy have to be 3D now?

Oct 30, 2017
I wish square would try making new final fantasies in this style with pre rendered backgrounds, why does every new final fantasy have to be 3D now?
Same reason why the rest of the industry ( besides Indies ) makes their games full 3D.

Because the reason behind the pre-rendered backgrounds were the limitations of the hardwares.

That's not the case anymore now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They could do both though
Pre-rendered backgrounds (in the style of FF) still requires creating the scenes in at least quasi-3D enivronments. It's not cheap or easy. At that point you might as well as go full 3D.

They've also got games that still do it, like the Bravely series which use drawn backgrounds (and are better than most modern FF games anyway).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-rendered backgrounds (in the style of FF) still requires creating the scenes in at least quasi-3D enivronments. It's not cheap or easy. At that point you might as well as go full 3D.

They've also got games that still do it, like the Bravely series which use drawn backgrounds (and are better than most modern FF games anyway).
The 2d final fantasies had much shorter dev times than the 3D ones, so it must be easier than the 3D ones

There was only 2 years between ff7 and 8

Shorter dev time also means cheaper

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Same reason why the rest of the industry ( besides Indies ) makes their games full 3D.

Because the reason behind the pre-rendered backgrounds were the limitations of the hardwares.

That's not the case anymore now.

When the kickstarter game République was pitched, it was going to be a return to a classic Resident Evil style backtracking-through-a-mansion game on mobile. The backgrounds were going to be fixed and prerendered.

During development they switched to 3D realtime rendered backgrounds (but kept the fixed camera angles) because mobile devices were gaining 3D horsepower rapidly but more importantly they found that prerendered backgrounds made development really hard, slow, and expensive. It meant any level iteration would take an extremely long time to push changes down. And furthermore, the output raster resolution of modern devices made prerendered backgrounds more memory intensive to store large pannable 326dpi stills.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When the kickstarter game République was pitched, it was going to be a return to a classic Resident Evil style backtracking-through-a-mansion game on mobile. The backgrounds were going to be fixed and prerendered.

During development they switched to 3D realtime rendered backgrounds (but kept the fixed camera angles) because mobile devices were gaining 3D horsepower rapidly but more importantly they found that prerendered backgrounds made development really hard, slow, and expensive. It meant any level iteration would take an extremely long time to push changes down. And furthermore, the output raster resolution of modern devices made prerendered backgrounds more memory intensive to store large pannable 326dpi stills.
They don't have to be pre rendered then, I just want some new final fantasies to be in a 2d perspective again, whatever it takes to get there

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad for this but, Squall and Rinoa faces looks somehow off. I believe its their eyes, they are too rounded, I don't know.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The 2d final fantasies had much shorter dev times than the 3D ones, so it must be easier than the 3D ones

?

Ok, and how many years were there between 9 and x ?

1 !

Maybe then they just ran themselves into the ground by using a terrible engine twice in a row for ff13 and ff15.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
?

1 !

Maybe then they just ran themselves into the ground by using a terrible engine twice in a row for ff13 and ff15.
2 years between 9 and 10

You could also argue 10 was more of a 2d perspective too since a lot of areas had a fixed camera

First full 3D final fantasy was 12, could control the camera freely where ever you go

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
2 years between 9 and 10

You could also argue 10 was more of a 2d perspective too since a lot of areas had a fixed camera

First full 3D final fantasy was 12

Fixed camera fully rendered in 3D with dynamic angles.

Thanks for the correction.

Just clear this up for me.

July 2000

July 2001

2 years ?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
?

1 !

To be fair, IX and X were being developed simultaneously by different teams. In fact, IX, X, and XI were all announced and shown together in a big reveal way back. Though IX was much farther along in development at the time(and was going to release earlier), but all were shown in some form together when revealed.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I think VIII has my favorite world and setting. XV tried to do something similar with fantasy grounded in reality (and they did a good job there, too) but the vast variety and environments in VIII really takes it. You have small and quaint towns like Winhill, seaside tranquility in Balamb and FIsherman's Horizon, ancient ruins like the Centra area, classical and romantic cities like Dollet, spiraling metropolises like Deling City and Esthar.. not to mention the sheer brilliance that is Ultimecia's Castle. The world, to me, felt quite real and connected despite how different areas could be.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Uh, you're looking at a 480p game made with what would now be considered extremely crude assets. That's why they redid the models.

If you want the best Final Fantasy to be a 3DS game then yeah, two years is doable. If you want a modern 4K equivalent of the PS1 games, you're going to be waiting a lot longer. The games you're looking for are Bravely Default or Octopath. The FF style you're asking for isn't coming back. It's just not feasible.

And yeah IX and X were different teams, no point comparing release dates there.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I love getting my platinum trophies but yeah, they better not include any bullshit like the jumprope "mini-game." That put me off from finishing IX on the PS4 because it was so frustrating that I couldn't do it. Even the lightning jumping in Final Fantasy X was easier.