• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, you're looking at a 480p game made with what would now be considered extremely crude assets. That's why they redid the models.

If you want the best Final Fantasy to be a 3DS game then yeah, two years is doable. If you want a modern 4K equivalent of the PS1 games, you're going to be waiting a lot longer. The games you're looking for are Bravely Default or Octopath. The FF style you're asking for isn't coming back. It's just not feasible.

And yeah IX and X were different teams, no point comparing release dates there.
Yea I would take a new FF in octopath style

I haven't liked a single one of the 3D FFs

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They don't have to be pre rendered then, I just want some new final fantasies to be in a 2d perspective again, whatever it takes to get there
Good news, there's a new modern 2D FF that you can play right now!

Photo-2017-11-02-23-02-22.jpg

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I remember 8 having a lot more interactive cutscenes than 7 and 9. Impressed me back then to be able to walk around FMVs lol

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Source?

If anything, it's more likely that a record label, be it hers (at the time) or Square Enix Music own it. I know Asian copyright laws tend to be different (and significantly worse) than in the West, but I've never heard of an actual performer owning their own recordings unless they paid for it themselves.

There is a reason SE does not use the Wong vocal version. Ever. But she herself still uses the song herself. Releasing the already existing PC version on steam does not count.

But its not gonna stand in the way and I doubt they won't use it there

EoM is far from the rights plague that is Why from Crisis Core. I think Gackt is a bigger issue these days, but that song is why CC didnt release on the Vita store

SE really needs to stop with these special collabs with Pop Stars and big name designers. SE can't even make small alterations to Noctis' clothes. It is cool, but always ends up being more trouble later

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I love getting my platinum trophies but yeah, they better not include any bullshit like the jumprope "mini-game." That put me off from finishing IX on the PS4 because it was so frustrating that I couldn't do it. Even the lightning jumping in Final Fantasy X was easier.
I'm hoping it's similar to the Steam achievements but with the 10k kills and max gil removed. Neither is that hard but they are time consuming and boring.

Last edited:

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
This game has always looked oddly alluring to me, but from afar I don't quite understand what kind of world or setup it has. Looks like the civilized areas have a modern flair but the countryside is fantasy? Bit like FFXV? What's the premise here?

I want to say that the devs had called it a retro-futuristic world? I don't know if that's true or if that was critics talking about the world, though. The world doesn't have to have a premise, though; it's just a setting. The game itself is about teenage military and fighting against sorceresses, with a ton of 90s JRPG weirdness thrown in, haha.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Notice the time span between 10 and 12 though, the first full 3D FF

I mean, there's more to it than that.

1) They made a sequel to FFX

2) They made a full MMO FFXI (which demanded the help of almost all Square departments and not just the mmo team)

3) Several key people from FF worked on Kingdom Hearts

4) Square literally imploded after The Spirit Within which shook up a lot of things

5) FF12 lost its game lead designer halfway through

6) FF12 dev team notoriously had issues with the programming of the combat system

All this led to FF12 being released later than they had planned. That wasn't the classic teams doing it and Square spreading itself too thin didn't help.

To be fair, IX and X were being developed simultaneously by different teams. In fact, IX, X, and XI were all announced and shown together in a big reveal way back. Though IX was much farther along in development at the time(and was going to release earlier), but all were shown in some form together when revealed.

And yeah IX and X were different teams, no point comparing release dates there.

I mean his point was that ff7 to ff8 took two years and was much shorter time between those two than the others.

When I say ffx released one year after 9, that's more to say they had FF back to back, 99 ff8 2000 ff9 2001 ffx. So you still had just two years between 8 and X.

Also, 9's team directly benefited from the technological advancements made by the other teams since they were using the exact same engine.

X was a generational leap and it only took them a couple of years.

Jan 11, 2018
There is a reason SE does not use the Wong vocal version. Ever. But she herself still uses the song herself. Releasing the already existing PC version on steam does not count.

Not sure what you mean. When would they otherwise have used it but in your opinion didn't because they couldn't? They have Susan Calloway performing most vocal themes during Distant Worlds in part for practical reasons.

You argument also doesn't make much sense since she doesn't own the rights to the song itself, but "still uses" it. I very much doubt everything works fine in one direction but not the other.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you mean. When would they otherwise have used it but in your opinion didn't because they couldn't? They have Susan Calloway performing most vocal themes during Distant Worlds in part for practical reasons.

You argument also doesn't make much sense since she doesn't own the rights to the song itself, but "still uses" it. I very much doubt everything works fine in one direction but not the other.

They can have people cover the song. Dont know what you are misunderstanding here

And just go look at SE's official FF8 soundtracks from current official sources. Aside from the original cds

Wong's vocals of Eyes on Me are absent from spotify but available under her

Absent from Theathryth but orchestral renditions are there

Absent from anywhere other than the original game reuploaded, which is not an issue

Artists can own their vocal performances, but not the song itself. SE has had 3 people cover it instead since because it is cheaper than paying Wong and they cant get her for concerts anyway. Every time SE uses the version with her voice on NEW releases, not rereleases of the original game, they gotta pay.

If Wong has to also pay for use as well, then she is willing to. But we do not know their deal

From what I can see though. SE just does not use the original track with Wong in it

Jan 11, 2018
Absent from anywhere other than the original game reuploaded, which is not an issue

Not true.

Artists can own their vocal performances, but not the song itself.

They can, but rarely do. It seems more likely to me that her label would own it, if Square Enix Music doesn't.

If Wong has to also pay for use as well, then she is willing to. But we do not know their deal

See, you're the one claiming she owns her own vocal performance but you can't back it up with a source - and now you admit you don't know what the deal is. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm merely asking you provide a source for your claims and it seems you can't produce one.

Either way, I doubt it will be axed from Remastered.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The design of FF8 is influenced by one of my favourite SF conceits that informs the look and politics of the world ever.

Basically all you need to know is that almost two decades before the start of the game, interference made radio transmission impossible across the globe.

Now we humans depend on radio-frequency communication for a LOT. So picture a developed world where all information has to travel by cable (which can be severed easily and is hard to build out) or couriered from place to place.

Suddenly, states become more feudal. Travel becomes more important. Small towns become more isolated and parochial. Communities and regions are able to operate unnoticed if they wish. There are entire radio-transmission infrastructures now useless, eerie, and abandoned like the Duga radar array by Chernobyl.
This is fascinating. :)

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I mean his point was that ff7 to ff8 took two years and was much shorter time between those two than the others.

When I say ffx released one year after 9, that's more to say they had FF back to back, 99 ff8 2000 ff9 2001 ffx. So you still had just two years between 8 and X.

Also, 9's team directly benefited from the technological advancements made by the other teams since they were using the exact same engine.

Keep in mind that game development has changed a ton since X was released. For example, X had a bit over 100 people developing it; XV had 200-300+. Dev times for AAA games are longer than they used to be, as a whole. Tools make beginning development a bit easier, but the scope and density that gamers want, in combination with the graphical fidelity, means there needs to be more team members and more time put toward the games.

Besides, once they got the engine and assets down for XIII, it only took 2 years for XIII-2, and then 2 years from that to Lightning Returns.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
This is fascinating. :)

Yeah! My headcanon is that

The only reason Rinoa is able to fuck around unimpeded with an amateur hour insurrection group in the Timber and Dollet region is that there isn't a communication infrustructure in place for people to put two and two together and call up General Caraway and go "Yo, collect your daughter…"

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
So the only RPG I've ever played is Chrono Trigger and I've been itching to try the FF series. I'm old enough to remember the hoopla around FF7 (but I had a N64) and I'd like to try that out for once... but on the other hand, this game looks rather pretty. For a beginner, would you suggest 7 or 8 as a starting point?

(I'm also a father and a teacher so free time is rather limited)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So the only RPG I've ever played is Chrono Trigger and I've been itching to try the FF series. I'm old enough to remember the hoopla around FF7 (but I had a N64) and I'd like to try that out for once... but on the other hand, this game looks rather pretty. For a beginner, would you suggest 7 or 8 as a starting point?

7 is getting a full on remake in 2020 so wait and get that next year.

Which means you can get 8 remaster this year :) .

Ideally on PC for the modding options that will improve the port, or switch for portability.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

Which means you can get 8 remaster this year :) .

Ideally on PC for the modding options that will improve the port, or switch for portability.

I should have specified that I only have a Mac, a PS3 and a Switch. 99% of my gaming is on the latter.

Besides, as cool as the remaster looks, I'd like to try the original first.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018

I love both a lot, but since the only RPG you've played is CT I think FF7 is a good lateral move to further JRPG exploration. FF8 has some things that might not be as casual friendly (Junctioning kind of requires an existing understand of standard JRPG stats, among other things)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I love both a lot, but since the only RPG you've played is CT I think FF7 is a good lateral move to further JRPG exploration. FF8 has some things that might not be as casual friendly (Junctioning kind of requires an existing understand of standard JRPG stats, among other things)

AHEM

If his only RPG Chrono Trigger I think he should stick with 8 first for obvious reasons :x ...

That I won't mention as to not reveal anything.

This is 2019 if the gameplay is hard he can just ask here and we'll help, it's really easy once you get the basics of it.

Not to mention you can absolutely beat 8 while not having a clue how the stats work, you think my 10 years old self beat this how exactly ? :p

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

But the first episode of the remake is ONLY Midgar. It will be a decade or longer before the Remake series is finished. If he wants to play VII, he should just play the PS1 version now. It's not like it's going to be very similar to the Remake.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
But the first episode of the remake is ONLY Midgar. It will be a decade or longer before the Remake series is finished. If he wants to play VII, he should just play the PS1 version now. It's not like it's going to be very similar to the Remake.

It's not gonna be a decade bro.

They have the engine, the assets, the gameplay, now it's just building upon what they have.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wish new Squall's hair wasn't so spikey. He looks a bit off. I'm super happy this is getting a remaster though.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They have a very small sub-section of the assets.

No.

Materials, and characters (design, animations etc) they have the template now. It's easier to create when you know where you are going than creating it from scratch.

Not to mention UE4 makes dev a lot easier in general, unlike whatever the fuck they were doing with the previous FF games.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's not gonna be a decade bro.

They have the engine, the assets, the gameplay, now it's just building upon what they have.
No.

Materials, and characters (design, animations etc) they have the template now. It's easier to create when you know where you are going than creating it from scratch.

Not to mention UE4 makes dev a lot easier in general, unlike whatever the fuck they were doing with the previous FF games.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's more to it than that.

1) They made a sequel to FFX

2) They made a full MMO FFXI (which demanded the help of almost all Square departments and not just the mmo team)

3) Several key people from FF worked on Kingdom Hearts

4) Square literally imploded after The Spirit Within which shook up a lot of things

5) FF12 lost its game lead designer halfway through

6) FF12 dev team notoriously had issues with the programming of the combat system

All this led to FF12 being released later than they had planned. That wasn't the classic teams doing it and Square spreading itself too thin didn't help.

Because I was young a year, two years felt much longer to me back then. So many monumental entries in such a short time is unthinkable today.

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Good luck with that one.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely Final Fantasy VII. VIII is more divisive so there's more of a chance it could put you off the series. However once you love VII, VIII would be a good second game.

Plus you can play VII now, and be ready for when VIII comes out towards the end of the year.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Mid-late 90's pre-rendered (partially drawn) backdrops is one of my favorite videogame graphics.
Yeah. Especially seeing those images for the first time in a gaming magazines.
At that time I was still not fully understand the difference between a "pre-rendered" image and "real-time" image.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

Interview with Kitase. I think it's repeating the PC only features so I guess it's confirmed differences for boosters. No chocobo world.

Google translate is bad here but he talks about refusing to allow the Gunblade to appear in Ready Play One. Also talks about Hollywood. Edit: Okay on bing translate it sounds like he wanted the Gunblade in? I don't know.

Confirms some people involved with remaster which includes Nomura. I can't tell if the last part is source code confusion or just that the port happened now just because. I hope we get a clearer translation.

People will tell you otherwise but at this point I don't think it really matters. Choose the one that is appealing to you more and see how you like it.

Plenty started with VIII over VII and didn't have any issue. If you're having difficulty you can always ask and many here will be able to help.

I'm assuming you will be playing the Classic versions on PS3?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
I always recommend FFX as a starting point, sitting somewhere between classic and modern representation of the series. Easy to branch off in both directions afterwards, I think.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Balamb Garden made me so excited to get a dorm on a college campus only to find out it is not.. quite as comfy or as aesthetic.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the items will be obtainable through "Rinoa's special ability" (*cough*Angelo Search*cough*), here's the translated interview:

Thanks!

And yeah the ability will most likely be Angelo Search.

So like I originally thought, Ready Player 1 wanted to use the gunblade in the movie. I wonder why they declined the offer. It also makes sense why VIII felt so realistic with movements and that is because they mocapped using heavy objects.

Final thing is some original staff working on the remaster. I'm surprised the last part isn't translated.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
AHEM

If his only RPG Chrono Trigger I think he should stick with 8 first for obvious reasons :x ...

That I won't mention as to not reveal anything.

This is 2019 if the gameplay is hard he can just ask here and we'll help, it's really easy once you get the basics of it.

Not to mention you can absolutely beat 8 while not having a clue how the stats work, you think my 10 years old self beat this how exactly ? :p
Absolutely Final Fantasy VII. VIII is more divisive so there's more of a chance it could put you off the series. However once you love VII, VIII would be a good second game.

Plus you can play VII now, and be ready for when VIII comes out towards the end of the year.

Interview with Kitase. I think it's repeating the PC only features so I guess it's confirmed differences for boosters. No chocobo world.

Google translate is bad here but he talks about refusing to allow the Gunblade to appear in Ready Play One. Also talks about Hollywood. Edit: Okay on bing translate it sounds like he wanted the Gunblade in? I don't know.

Confirms some people involved with remaster which includes Nomura. I can't tell if the last part is source code confusion or just that the port happened now just because. I hope we get a clearer translation.

People will tell you otherwise but at this point I don't think it really matters. Choose the one that is appealing to you more and see how you like it.

Plenty started with VIII over VII and didn't have any issue. If you're having difficulty you can always ask and many here will be able to help.

I'm assuming you will be playing the Classic versions on PS3?

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I think I'll go ahead and get 7 for my Switch and if I like it, I'll get 8... and if I like that, I'll get X! :P

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaand... 7 has been purchased.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

I want to find the Famitsu interview they are referring to but it's nice that VIII is viewed as popular in the West.

Also this finally confirms the source code being lost so they brought back the original modeler. I love that they are making that extra effort.

Edit:

Here is the interview where they briefly discuss VIII Remaster

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I want to find the Famitsu interview they are referring to but it's nice that VIII is viewed as popular in the West.

Also this finally confirms the source code being lost so they brought back the original modeler. I love that they are making that extra effort.

――"SQUARE ENIX LIVE E3 2019"では、『FFVII リメイク』や『キングダム ハーツIII リマインド』のほか、突如発表された『FFVIII リマスタード』の反響も大きかったですね。

野村
海外ではとくに支持が厚いこともあって、大きな反響をいただけましたね。オリジナルのデータが消失していることなどからいままでなかなかリマスターできなかったのですが、今回ようやく発表できました。

――かなりキレイになっている印象です。キャラクターモデルの差し替えもしているとか。

野村
プロジェクトの開始前にテクスチャ[/B]をキレイに直したものを見せられたんですが、それがかなりきびしい出来だったんです。3Dモデルになって以降のナンバリングタイトルのリマスターは、『FFVIII』を除いて出揃っていることを考えると、もう少し踏み込んで手を入れるべきだろうと仕切り直しを提案しました。主要キャラのモデルの差し替えを決め、当時のメインモデラーにも参加してもらい、できる範囲ではありますが手を入れています。

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Edit:

Here is the interview where they briefly discuss VIII Remaster

"Changed the models of main characters"

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for more interviews regarding VIII. The fact they recognize the demand is great and put the extra effort in because of it. I really hope we get more soon.
I added the link like 2 minutes after posting lol but thanks anyway

"Changed the models of main characters"
I think this quote is specfically talking about Nomura coming onboard to help with the main characters? But if it doesn't then it's a matter of who is classified under that.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for more interviews regarding VIII. The fact they recognize the demand is great and put the extra effort in because of it. I really hope we get more soon.

I added the link like 2 minutes after posting lol but thanks anyway

Lmao I didn't notice sorry

Anyway it's pretty cool that they "brought back" Tomohiro Kayano, but at the same time it's fairly normal I think, since he's still an SE employee to this day. He worked on FFXV recently.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Scene where FF8 remaster getting all the love while FF7R bomba

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao I didn't notice sorry

Anyway it's pretty cool that they "brought back" Tomohiro Kayano, but at the same time it's fairly normal I think, since he's still an SE employee to this day. He worked on FFXV recently.
Yeah true but I guess they see it as going the extra mile for the remaster and I'll take it lol

Scene where FF8 remaster getting all the love while FF7R bomba

It's going to get all my love at least.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
According to this German news site, there are notes about English and Japanese voice acting in the meta data of the website.

"Widely beloved, FINAL FANTASY VIII casts unlikely heroes into a war to save the world. The military nation of Galbadia has declared war on the Dukedom of Dollet, who are left with no choice but to hire a mercenary force for their defense. Enter SeeD and its newest member: Squall Leonhart. Together with his friends, Squall joins Rinoa Heartilly, a member of a resistance group, on an adventure that holds the fate of their world in its balance. FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release with a complete visual refresh and brings the game's classic story to modern platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. With fully overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before! FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered is an RPG, available in English and Japanese voiceover, and is also text localized into French, Italian, German and Spanish."

I couldn't find anything myself, however when I tried searching for the quote, one result was a post in this very thread, which has the beginning of the text as a website preview:

ffviiiremastered.square-enix-games.com

FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered | SQUARE ENIX

FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release, bringing the game’s classic story to modern platforms.

Website for the remaster. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So at least part of the text is definitely on the site.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to this German news site, there are notes about English and Japanese voice acting in the meta data of the website.

I couldn't find anything myself, however when I tried searching for the quote, one result was a post in this very thread, which has the beginning of the text as a website preview:

So at least part of the text is definitely on the site.

Probably a new intro FMV or something. I doubt the whole game is voiced.