• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Started a new game last night. I haven't played the game in about 4-5 years but I was looking into doing as much as I can this time around. I watched Primalliquid92's video walkthrough of his 100% playthrough and I'd like to aim for that. He got Lionheart on Disc 1, had dipped very heavily into cards early on, and grinded out tons of GF skills right outside Balamb at the start.

I was wondering if there was a written guide that covers these things as I'd love to get Lionheart super early and grind out skills and abilities so I can basically walk through the game with little trouble. A platinum trophy guide would probably cover all the same topics.
This is the one I've used the past two playthroughs. Works great and will get you the plat. A plat guide isn't going to help you know when and where to play cards within the walkthrough. This will.

Final Fantasy VIII Walkthrough & Guide - PlayStation - By bover_87 - GameFAQs

For Final Fantasy VIII on the PlayStation, Guide and Walkthrough by bover_87.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just got round to finishing the game and after getting all the way right near the end but not being able to finish it 20 years ago, I absolutely loved it.

Was good going through again as an adult and having a better understanding of everything that was going on and it's easily one of my favourites in the series.

Not sure which order I would put them in but top 3 FF games would probably be 7,8 and 10.
Replayed through 9 not long ago and it's a great game but the end felt rushed and half finished which let it down a bit.

Deleted member 59854

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
It's not any worse than the chosen four warriors of light concept, or Cloud's story arc. It's also explained in the game, literally coming full circle later on and in part foreshadowed in the very beginning (seriously, people should take some time to read the non-tutorial files in Squall's computer). I never understood why people got so hung up on this specific plot point. I've got bigger issues with stuff like the final boss of FFIX.
It's one of those scenes that unfortunately is executed poorly but story wise makes sense.

The reveal about GF never should have been the focal point and wouldn't have been if they had dropped more hints in the main story regarding the twist rather than leaving it to players to find out 3 times before by investigating the student terminal and speaking to NPC's. A lot of people miss that something is wrong with the fact all these orphans are part of Gardens and have been assigned together. Now I do think memory loss itself is HEAVILY hinted at throughout the game so that part isn't really a huge deal. Ellones appearances blatantly show Squall has some memory issue and him being left by a sister is another point we realize something happened to him. Quistis also doesn't remember Ellone despite Ellone knowing her. We also know Irvine hesitates about killing Edea and Squall seems to recognize Edea's name but doesn't understand how. There is also some scene throughout the game of Squall forgetting things and NPC's calling it out like in FH
Plus it's not just exploring Squall's computer or other random hints, in fact! The second after you're promoted to SeeDs in Cid's office, one of the creepy Garden staff ominously warn you that "You should pay no attention whatsoever to criticism you hear out in the world about GFs causing memory loss." Shortly thereafter, Quistis and Squall both look blankly at Ellone in the training center a mere three hours into the game, who clearly remembers something they don't.

What's particularly perplexing about the English-speaking internet's complaints on this topic is that it came after a previous entry where the main character's memory loss was so poorly explained that they literally had to add two new memory sequences in FFVII International for the backstory to make any sense at all. The only explanation I can find is that VIII critics were also using GFs and thus experiencing...memory loss.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
On replaying FF8, I actually noticed how the game manages to do a lot with very few words. They keep things short and sweet generally. There's a lot of subtext in there. But it also makes things easier to miss.

Also Squall is a douche to everyone except Selphie for some reason. Depending on your decisions he's between polite to very helpful to her. The true ship, perhaps?

Oct 27, 2017
I personally feel it shouldn't have been linked to GFs because GF logistics as a whole still makes me scratch my head as I've posted much earlier in the thread.

We obviously can't share GFs, so this means every junctioning NPC has their own unique GF?

Squall has two on a thumbdrive but he has to acquire one the old fashioned way first in what seems to be a trial for all students? No one beat Ifrit or is it just a digital copy he offers to anyone (but could be traded amongst party members)?

If Squall hasn't junctioned, and is still in training, why is he so instantly affected?

Or should I be assuming he acquired both Shiva and Quetz the old-fashioned way but everyone forgot and here we are finally breaking the loop, "third time's the charm"-style?

It just should have been a regular witch's curse or attached to the radio waves or explained better by at least showing how much it's used BEFORE meeting anyone of import.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my Steam playthrough finally. I only need 1000 kills and then I'll be done with trophies and can relax with my switch playthrough

...until I own an Xbox One at some point. 👀
I personally feel it shouldn't have been linked to GFs because GF logistics as a whole still makes me scratch my head as I've posted much earlier in the thread.

We obviously can't share GFs, so this means every junctioning NPC has their own unique GF?
GF are only used by Balamb Garden. Most other places and Gardens disagree with it so every NPC having GF is extremely unlikely.

We can clearly see GF are found all over so that means plenty of them exist. The game is obviously going to limit how many we obtain. We already know Selphie had one unknown GF when she was at Trabia. With all of this we can assume students at Garden all have them too.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
i kinda wanna get this since back in the day my 4th disc gave me read errors and i never finished it

but then i also would want to platinum it, i wonder how hard this one is to plat D:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Having so much fun replaying the game, but Gilgamesh is a real asshole. He killed Rinoa...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's particularly perplexing about the English-speaking internet's complaints on this topic is that it came after a previous entry where the main character's memory loss was so poorly explained that they literally had to add two new memory sequences in FFVII International for the backstory to make any sense at all. The only explanation I can find is that VIII critics were also using GFs and thus experiencing...memory loss.
FFVII International is the normal FFVII that the English-speaking fans played though. They never got to play the original release that didn't have those extra sequences and that was Japan-exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my Steam playthrough finally. I only need 1000 kills and then I'll be done with trophies and can relax with my switch playthrough

...until I own an Xbox One at some point. 👀

GF are only used by Balamb Garden. Most other places and Gardens disagree with it so every NPC having GF is extremely unlikely.

We can clearly see GF are found all over so that means plenty of them exist. The game is obviously going to limit how many we obtain. We already know Selphie had one unknown GF when she was at Trabia. With all of this we can assume students at Garden all have them too.
I wrote "junctioning NPC" to be specific.

But I feel like GFs being used in that way sort of dilutes the immersion they're going for. The two just being at your desk, Ifrit being a trial for students, his exclamation at them having Shiva (who we didn't earn in any meaningful way), Diablos being in a lamp given to you by a paternal figure who has seen your mental degradation all just doesn't sit right the more I think about it.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Just started my playthrough. Just got out of the fire cavern so still pretty early in. I remember not really liking the game back on PS1, but decided to give it another shot. We'll see how it goes.

Oct 27, 2017
Cid
knows how the whole game is going to play out and knows Squall is going to save the world and shit will be fine and dandy.
Right, but it's just part of a sloppy use of GFs. Despite just playing the beginning of the game, I'm not sure if it's possible to play up to certain events without junctioning but there's nothing that shows us how necessary it is and obviously affected our main character is if two are hidden at his desk and not even equipped but we already forgot who these important people are.

All I'm trying to say is it's still sloppy execution, even if the idea isn't terrible.

Hell a simple fix would have been to have them pre-equipped and Quistis reminding you how to use them in case the head injury blurred our memory and her just being cheeky and needing to go over it even if Squall didn't need it. Maybe a mention that Seifer was lucky you didn't retaliate with magic or a summon to show it's been in use and the effects already established. Or that he was unequipped while in the infirmary. As is, it feels like Squall JUST received those GFs (been a while since I let Quistis give them to me so I don't know how that convo goes) which takes away from that plot point.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Squall has had his two GFs for a while, they're not given to him by the computer. That's just registering their names. He's used them before, they're just not equipped at the start for gameplay reasons.

You're reading far too much into this. As I just mentioned, the game was written to not be exposition heavy, to keep dialogue brief and have implications more than statements. I don't think your suggestion for the game to overexplain GFs would help.

Deleted member 59854

Banned
Sep 8, 2019
FFVII International is the normal FFVII that the English-speaking fans played though. They never got to play the original release that didn't have those extra sequences and that was Japan-exclusive.
Oh yes, I'm aware, I was just trying to underline that the original version of the game does such a poor job with memory issues that they literally had to add those two new scenes for it to make any sense at all, yet I've never noticed the same level of criticism in English for this game as in VIII.

On GFs,
I still feel the memory stuff has some pretty clear hints throughout the game, orphans are a classic part of the series, and Cid is demonstrated to have to make all kinds of compromises (GFs, sleezy backers like Norg bossing him around) to do what he thinks is necessary for the world...thanks to future Squall himself. I do agree it would be neat if Squall had his GFs equipped from the start.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I need to be clear that I get it and its explanation is clear... it's just a bit sloppy. I'm not attacking the game, but I feel its GF usage is a but undercooked. I love the idea of finding Ifrit or the Brothers at the end of a dungeon, defeating them and being able to summon them. I don't love how Ifrit is a trial for students and that there may be dozens of GFs scattered about the area as trials or everyone eventually acquires Ifrit. That and Shiva and Quetz (actually it's Ifrit) described as low level and just on your person takes away from that mystique. I'm nitpicking, but just explaining it makes me scratch my head and wish it was told differently.

Last edited:

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just did all achievements on Xbox. Only bad parts were the music during the garden fight, and the lack of analog movement.

Still my favorite FF game.

I would like to see the Junction system again in a new game.

Oct 27, 2017
Just did all achievements on Xbox. Only bad parts were the music during the garden fight, and the lack of analog movement.

Still my favorite FF game.

I would like to see the Junction system again in a new game.
Yes, but I also like the idea of character exclusive summons from IX but want it for all characters. Not sure how to make that engaging.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Cid
knows how the whole game is going to play out and knows Squall is going to save the world and shit will be fine and dandy.
While this is mostly true there is something darker about it.

It was really Edea who knew everything and that Squall would eventually succeed. It's not fully clarified but it's implied that Cid AND Edea got the funding for Garden via NORG. The game tries to make you think only Cid asked NORG but it was both working together to kickstart the creation of Garden and SeeD.

The moment Edea got possessed and left, Cid didn't know what to do. He sends Squall off to Timber to work with the forest owls kidnapping Vinzer and when he knows the sorceress is going to appear he immediately gets Squall to be in the assassination. He doesn't understand that the sorceress Squall actually kills is Ultimecia so he is just assuming Squall will succeed which ends up pushing Squall into so many dangerous situations. When the final battle happens, Cid ends up being a massive coward and runs away leaving it all to Squall

Squall has had his two GFs for a while, they're not given to him by the computer. That's just registering their names. He's used them before, they're just not equipped at the start for gameplay reasons.

You're reading far too much into this. As I just mentioned, the game was written to not be exposition heavy, to keep dialogue brief and have implications more than statements. I don't think your suggestion for the game to overexplain GFs would help.
Yeah exactly.

There is still instances in the game where I think some aspects should have been a little clearer in the main story rather than leaving it for players to find beforehand but otherwise the one thing that VIII does extremely well is let players learn the world and it's history via exploration and engaging with NPC's. I also like that most things in the game are given a reason for existence rather than just being something that was always there. The most interesting being the
monsters and how they infested Earth. I love that monsters don't drop money because instead you gain materials from them. Sure there is still the questionable drop of TT cards but otherwise it's neat having the creation thought out like that
Just started my playthrough. Just got out of the fire cavern so still pretty early in. I remember not really liking the game back on PS1, but decided to give it another shot. We'll see how it goes.
No matter if people hate still end up hating or disliking it, I love seeing people give it another shot.

You should update us on how it goes even if you're not liking it. If you're struggling with any parts obviously we can all help.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get junction even though I followed the in-game tutorials lol
You need to Junction a GF to a character in order to unlock stats to boost. Shiva starts with STR-J which means if you equip her to a character(let's use Squall since he is always in party) you can now boost his strength with stocked magic. How you boost that strength is simply by selecting the open Strength stat (it will be white and have - - - -) and assigning magic to it.

Because each GF has different stat unlocks you'll want to decide who to junction to each character until you unlock more GF. You will get quite a few early on as long as you're paying close attention to boss fights and checking if they have a GF to Draw.

Plus it's not just exploring Squall's computer or other random hints, in fact! The second after you're promoted to SeeDs in Cid's office, one of the creepy Garden staff ominously warn you that "You should pay no attention whatsoever to criticism you hear out in the world about GFs causing memory loss." Shortly thereafter, Quistis and Squall both look blankly at Ellone in the training center a mere three hours into the game, who clearly remembers something they don't.
The three moments before was also including that :P

It's the student terminal, the Garden Faculty and Selphies diary that are the three moments. There might be one more I'm forgetting due to GF.

and yeah like I said in my post, the
Quistis and Squall moment in the training center where they don't recognize Ellone is one of the hints. All of Ellones scenes are hints about memory loss.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'd really hold against FFVIII is introducing the moon monster thing right before it happens.

Otherwise "yeah the GFs did it" is just there to give a rational explanation to the player for the Orphanage Reveal.

As for Cid

I think it's right to call him cowardly, but I view him putting all this responsibility on Squall less as "he's a dick" and more that he knows Squall will succeed so he thinks it's the right thing to do. Albeit the two aren't incompatible and Cid is basically entirely responsible for the person Squall is other than Squall himself.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'd really hold against FFVIII is introducing the moon monster thing right before it happens.

Otherwise "yeah the GFs did it" is just there to give a rational explanation to the player for the Orphanage Reveal.

As for Cid

I think it's right to call him cowardly, but I view him putting all this responsibility on Squall less as "he's a dick" and more that he knows Squall will succeed so he thinks it's the right thing to do. Albeit the two aren't incompatible and Cid is basically entirely responsible for the person Squall is other than Squall himself.
Oh I fully understand that part of his character though him focusing so heavily on
Squall while neglecting Seifer was one of the problems he didn't realize until too late and caused Seifer to develop in a really messed up way. He obviously is troubled over the fact his partner who started all of this and was the one most likely managing it behind the scenes suddenly disappeared and then reappears corrupt. It's realistic that he wouldn't know what to do and just sends Squall on his way because he never actually saw what Ultimecia looked like, only Edea did.

The issue with Cid is that when the Garden battle happens and students are fighting to the death and everyone is risking their lives, Cid bails out because he doesn't want to witness his wife being murdered. It's understandable that he would be bothered by this but to leave all the students they raised to die? That was an incredibly fucked up choice.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the spoilers we are talking about with Cid...

When exactly did Edea disappear? Was it very recently like right before the start of the game or had she been missing for awhile? I was always unsure of this order of events - Edea helps set up SeeD and Garden and then eventually creates her own White SeeDs and she sails the world with them and Ellone, to keep them both safe. Is that correct? And Edea somehow disappeared one night (where she was presumably possessed by Ultimecia) and the White SeeDs brought Ellone to Garden to keep her safe?

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
No matter if people hate still end up hating or disliking it, I love seeing people give it another shot.

You should update us on how it goes even if you're not liking it. If you're struggling with any parts obviously we can all help.

I will! I remember hating the GF as I didn't really understand it, but I think I have the hang of it now. It should hopefully make the game more wordless enjoyable as a result.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Been sick all weekend meaning I've had more of an excuse than usual to just sit down and play games, so I've got to put down about 14 hours this weekend. Having a blast!

I'm heading to Trabia garden now--did the Shumi, Odin, and Tonberry Sidequests first. Sadly I just realized I miss leviathan :(

Deleted member 59854

Banned
Sep 8, 2019
Regarding the spoilers we are talking about with Cid...

When exactly did Edea disappear? Was it very recently like right before the start of the game or had she been missing for awhile? I was always unsure of this order of events - Edea helps set up SeeD and Garden and then eventually creates her own White SeeDs and she sails the world with them and Ellone, to keep them both safe. Is that correct? And Edea somehow disappeared one night (where she was presumably possessed by Ultimecia) and the White SeeDs brought Ellone to Garden to keep her safe?
I'm replaying for the first time since 2005 or so and haven't gotten beyond disc 1 yet, but my memory (GF dependent) is that
she would have vanished not too long after a dying Ultimecia gives her her powers during the ending at the orphanage when young Squall is around, so presumably around ten years ago? It's also at that point that present day Squall/"our" Squall (visiting them from Time Compression) gives her and Cid the idea about Garden and SeeD, too, right? Have I tangled this up too much? Does that mean that Ultimecia dies, makes Edea a sorceress (for a second time, as I recall), then pretty soon she is under Ultimecia's control again...though after enough time for her and Cid to have founded Garden? I'm really looking forward to straightening this out in my own mind, though I know this thread can do it faster and better.

Last edited:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm almost done with the game. At least from what I remember from way back then. Definitely ended up with a better understanding of the junction system this time around. I still think it sucks though.

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
Been sick all weekend meaning I've had more of an excuse than usual to just sit down and play games, so I've got to put down about 14 hours this weekend. Having a blast!

I'm heading to Trabia garden now--did the Shumi, Odin, and Tonberry Sidequests first. Sadly I just realized I miss leviathan :(
I think you can get Leviathan on disc 4 as well

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why the orphanage scene gets such a bad rap when the Ragnarok is at least ten times worse.

The Eyes on Me scene does give one hint towards Rinomecia at least.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Laguna's grand victory against Adel, the sorceress that terrorized Esthar and the world, was to lightly shove her into a fridge.

There really should have been one last Laguna sequence for that instead of a cheap optional cutscene.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a recommended level to be at certain parts of the game? I'm going to be playing it without the shortcuts as I want the full experience as I don't remember much of it from my initial playthrough all those years back on PS1.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a recommended level to be at certain parts of the game? I'm going to be playing it without the shortcuts as I want the full experience as I don't remember much of it from my initial playthrough all those years back on PS1.

Ideally you'd never level up, since enemies get stronger as you do, but that requires a lot of gaming.

You get your stat increases by junctioning magic to your characters using the Guardian Forces.

Also, you don't have to Draw magic unless it's in a pinch. Refine cards and items into your spells.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally you'd never level up, since enemies get stronger as you do, but that requires a lot of gaming.

You get your stat increases by junctioning magic to your characters using the Guardian Forces.

Also, you don't have to Draw magic unless it's in a pinch. Refine cards and items into your spells.

Dang. Now that you mention it I do remember disliking that the enemies scaled with you. Thanks for the reminder and pointers.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Now that you mention it I do remember disliking that the enemies scaled with you. Thanks for the reminder and pointers.
Don't worry about things like that. Gaining levels is not going to punish you unless you're grinding them out since enemies scale to average party level. Just play the game normally without heavy grinding because it's not the solution to overcome boss fights. There is also an ability that will let you turn off encounters all together which is useful for areas with annoyingly high encounter rates.

You want to focus instead on teaching GF abilities that will make acquiring magic faster. Those abilities are -RF which lets you refine items into magic. Example being Tents and Cottages can turn into Curaga spell. Most importantly, you can refine triple triad cards into items. Rare cards offer extremely powerful items which is why VIII is such an easy game to break.

Make sure you have the Draw command on at least one character. Multiple boss fights will require you Draw the summon from the boss.