• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry about things like that. Gaining levels is not going to punish you unless you're grinding them out since enemies scale to average party level. Just play the game normally without heavy grinding because it's not the solution to overcome boss fights. There is also an ability that will let you turn off encounters all together which is useful for areas with annoyingly high encounter rates.

You want to focus instead on teaching GF abilities that will make acquiring magic faster. Those abilities are -RF which lets you refine items into magic. Example being Tents and Cottages can turn into Curaga spell. Most importantly, you can refine triple triad cards into items. Rare cards offer extremely powerful items which is why VIII is such an easy game to break.

Make sure you have the Draw command on at least one character. Multiple boss fights will require you Draw the summon from the boss.

Thanks for the tips. Silly question, but can you transfer what you draw from 1 character to another?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just lost an hour of progress of Energy Stone grinding because I got lost in Esthar and ran into an Iron Giant.

Anyway, before I go to Lunatic Pandora I want to do all the sidequests and get Squall, Irvine and Rinoa's Ultimate Weapons. What's the easiest way to do that for each?

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I just lost an hour of progress of Energy Stone grinding because I got lost in Esthar and ran into an Iron Giant.

Anyway, before I go to Lunatic Pandora I want to do all the sidequests and get Squall, Irvine and Rinoa's Ultimate Weapons. What's the easiest way to do that for each?
There is a soldier in Esthar who you can speak to and he will turn into an Elnoyle. It's a guaranteed encounter and you can Card it so that with 10 you mod them into an Energy Crystal. You'll need Energy Crystals for all three characters so you can do this until you have the amount you need.

Easiest way to get Adamantine is mod the Minotaur card. If you don't want to do that then go to Dollet beaches and fight Adamantoise and use LVL UP to make it so you can mug the item off them. Do the same on Grendels so that you mug Dragon Fangs off them. It's pretty quick and easy.

Finally Regen Ring and Moon Stones you can mug off Torama which are the Coerl enemies in Esthar region.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a soldier in Esthar who you can speak to and he will turn into an Elnoyle. It's a guaranteed encounter and you can Card it so that with 10 you mod them into an Energy Crystal. You'll need Energy Crystals for all three characters so you can do this until you have the amount you need.

Easiest way to get Adamantine is mod the Minotaur card. If you don't want to do that then go to Dollet beaches and fight Adamantoise and use LVL UP to make it so you can mug the item off them. Do the same on Grendels so that you mug Dragon Fangs off them. It's pretty quick and easy.

Finally Regen Ring and Moon Stones you can mug off Torama which are the Coerl enemies in Esthar region.

Thanks for that. I'm still miffed I lost that progress since I had six Energy crystals from Elnoyle.

Oct 27, 2017
I am having so much fun with this game. I feel like I actually like it better than the previous times I played it when I avoided playing TT. Getting everyone set up with magic real quick through refining let me go through the story at a pace that makes it a lot more fun.

I have a question - I just got the Ragnarok. Am I still able to complete the Card Queen exchanges to get different cards? I most recently lost Chicobo to her, and the dude I'm supposed to win the Chubby Choco card off is not sitting by the library in Balamb G like he usually would be. Garden is parked at FH. I'm not sure if I reached a cutoff point, or maybe I need to leave FH to get him to show up?

Also, for people wanting to save a lot of time with card rule abolishment via RNG manipulation, this thread on gamefaqs has saved me so much time getting rid of random and other headache rules and has worked every time for me on Switch. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/77986804

It was really nice to get to the space sequence having already erased random from Lunar. Everyone has Open, life is grand lol

Edit - the card guy outside the b garden library appeared again after I pulled out of fisherman's horizon, so I can continue on the card queen line. Phew

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I've got Squall, Irvine and Rinoa's Ultimate Weapons, Doomtrain, and Cactuar. Just gotta do DSRC and I've got everything before the final disk.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I screwed up as I was playing. I fought Bahamut and he OHKO'd Zell who had 7000 HP just with his basic attack, and the Ruby Dragon's Breath attack can kill the entire team in one go. I rejiggered my junctions with stuff like Flare and Meteor so I hope that helps. Squall is level 70, Rinoa is level 50, and everyone else is in the 20s.

I ended up panicking real bad because my last save was before I got Lionheart so I turned on God Mode to kill Bahamut. I feel kind of bad.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I think I screwed up as I was playing. I fought Bahamut and he OHKO'd Zell who had 7000 HP just with his basic attack, and the Ruby Dragon's Breath attack can kill the entire team in one go. I rejiggered my junctions with stuff like Flare and Meteor so I hope that helps. Squall is level 70, Rinoa is level 50, and everyone else is in the 20s.

I ended up panicking real bad because my last save was before I got Lionheart so I turned on God Mode to kill Bahamut. I feel kind of bad.
why is Squall such a high level

You should have used your level 20s to make it easier.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Ultima Weapon is such horseshit

Ligjt pillars my whole team before I could even get to the draw command

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot that Gilgamesh has an ability that doesn't do shit and another that does little damage.

Such a downgrade from Odin. His entrance looks cool though.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ultima Weapon is such horseshit

Ligjt pillars my whole team before I could even get to the draw command
A couple of tips if you still haven't beaten it:

1. Go to Island Closest to Heaven/Hell and draw the best magic in the game so that you can max out Squall with Ultima on Str, Full-Life on HP and Triple on Speed stat. You can also stock up on Aura here.

2. It's not necessary to get Lionheart but if you want the fight to be easier you can grab it so Squall will kill Ultima Weapon quickly. Once you're set with stats just have one character equip items so that you can use Megalixir quickly and maybe grab a couple extra Full-Life to use in battle to quick revive characters. Grab Eden and then cast Aura on Squall and have him LB until the boss is dead which should be fast. Make sure you aren't using x3 speed for this.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
A couple of tips if you still haven't beaten it:

1. Go to Island Closest to Heaven/Hell and draw the best magic in the game so that you can max out Squall with Ultima on Str, Full-Life on HP and Triple on Speed stat. You can also stock up on Aura here.

2. It's not necessary to get Lionheart but if you want the fight to be easier you can grab it so Squall will kill Ultima Weapon quickly. Once you're set with stats just have one character equip items so that you can use Megalixir quickly and maybe grab a couple extra Full-Life to use in battle to quick revive characters. Grab Eden and then cast Aura on Squall and have him LB until the boss is dead which should be fast. Make sure you aren't using x3 speed for this.

Heh, I already had Lionheart with max Ultima :p

I thankfully was able to beat it on my second go with good rng. (they only light pillar'd once) Kept Squall at low hp for Renzokuken spam and used Meltdown for extra hurt.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've left and reentered the DSRC numerous times but the pathway down isn't there.

Edit: Turns out I had to go into the Ragnarok and talk to Irvine. I hate flags like that in old RPGs.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
there are so many games to play lately that i haven't been keeping an eye on this but...

i am only now discovering that they didn't put true analog controls (not limited 8-way like the OG PC version) and rumble in this game.
why did they make this decision?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Squall is level 100 and that's my fault but why do these Red Dragons have a one-shot Breath attack?

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This game is still really impressive in 2019. The things they were able to do technologically with FF8 were incredible. I'm more in awe of this than most modern games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squall killed Ultima Weapon with one Lionheart so you know what imma take that W.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultima Weapon killed me faster than Omega did. That guy has higher speed, if you're unlucky he unleashes like 4 devastating attacks in succession. The guy has little HP, but otherwise he'd be more difficult than Omega who is ofcourse very predictable.

I forgot that Gilgamesh has an ability that doesn't do shit and another that does little damage.

Such a downgrade from Odin. His entrance looks cool though.

He's shit.

He can also appear if you are mugging, drawing or planning to do other stuff in a battle. Odin only appears at the start, if this doesn't happen he won't appear. I think you're better off getting Odin later.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
there are so many games to play lately that i haven't been keeping an eye on this but...

i am only now discovering that they didn't put true analog controls (not limited 8-way like the OG PC version) and rumble in this game.
why did they make this decision?
They used the PC version as the base for the Remaster which also didn't have analog controls. The PS1 source code was lost so any assets created directly for playstation weren't accessible. I'm assuming the controls are much harder to implement because of this.
Heh, I already had Lionheart with max Ultima :p

I thankfully was able to beat it on my second go with good rng. (they only light pillar'd once) Kept Squall at low hp for Renzokuken spam and used Meltdown for extra hurt.
Oh okay nice!

LB spam is the best lmao

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
They used the PC version as the base for the Remaster which also didn't have analog controls. The PS1 source code was lost so any assets created directly for playstation weren't accessible. I'm assuming the controls are much harder to implement because of this.

they should have implemented analog controls and rumble regardless. faithfulness to the old PC version is not an excuse for an inferior experience.

but if it's really so hard due to working from the base PC version, then it seems there is no hope for a later update to add those things in.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can anyone help me with what I need to do to get the Doomtrain GF?

I just need the steel pipes and remedy plus' but have no idea where to get these from

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me with what I need to do to get the Doomtrain GF?

I just need the steel pipes and remedy plus' but have no idea where to get these from

Steel Pipes are Mugged from Wendigos in the little forest in the Galbadia region (the forest you entered where your first Laguna vision happened).

Remedy+ are refined using Alexanders Med Level Up skill and 10 Remedies make one Remedy+.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I got to the fourth Disc! First time ever.

the second boss battle on the disc killed me, but I wasn't really on the ball when it was playing. (Scan said the battle should've been easy.)

will try again today.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Steel Pipes are Mugged from Wendigos in the little forest in the Galbadia region (the forest you entered where your first Laguna vision happened).

Remedy+ are refined using Alexanders Med Level Up skill and 10 Remedies make one Remedy+.

Finding the Wendigos is where I'm struggling at the moment

Do you just have to buy all the remedys so they can be refined?

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
So my Squall, Zell and Rinoa are at their base levels (7,8,11) and their stats are:
HP 9999
Strength 255
Vitality 255
Spirit 255
90% Absorption on all elements
Ability X 4 with Auto Protect, Auto Shell, Auto Haste and Ribbon.

I wonder if I should try Omega Weapon now.......

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
they should have implemented analog controls and rumble regardless. faithfulness to the old PC version is not an excuse for an inferior experience.

but if it's really so hard due to working from the base PC version, then it seems there is no hope for a later update to add those things in.
It's not a matter of being faithful lol

The base didn't have it so it's simply an issue of implementing a feature from the original designed for PlayStation into a PC port that removed it and getting it running across multiple platforms.

It wasn't added to IX port either. The chance of it being patched in is small.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol I did so much damage to Griever I skipped a phase of the Ultimecia fight.

Oct 27, 2017
I just did the DSRC. I wish I'd gotten more curse spikes for another Rosetta stone, but I didn't realize that I was already able to refine dark matter (I thought it was locked behind a high level but I was wrong). Ultima was a chill fight with Squall at 28, spent a lot of turns just drawing magic. I gained some unwanted levels in that place from Odin coming out, and from those red dragon encounters that I finished off without the card ability equipped. I probably should have waited to get Odin.

I'm so into the card game this playthrough. I have them all but Squall and Pupu. Also, not having to spend an ability slot to remove encounters, and having turbo speed whenever - even while playing cards - makes this game much more enjoyable.

Finding the Wendigos is where I'm struggling at the moment

Do you just have to buy all the remedys so they can be refined?

Like Weiss said, you can mug Wendigos for steel pipes, in Galbadia forest/desert areas iirc. Also, check your inventory for elastoid cards - 1 refines into 1 steel pipe. Getting them off Wendigos is the easiest way though.

You can buy the remedies you need from any store to make remedy+. You can also refine some from betrayal swords or sleep powders, but since you need a large number, buying is easier.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, finished. Ultimecia took me a few times but RNGnoa cast Meltdown enough times.

I dunno, there's a lot of late 90s experimental flabbiness, but I liked my time with the game. The characters are as likeable as ever and the setting feels grounded and fleshed out. Playing it is kind of a pain and it takes until the very end for there to be any real challenge. The built-in cheats are an absolute godsend.

Anyyway the ending is unnecessarily trippy, and also

seeing Squall smile for the first time as he pulls Rinoa in to kiss her makes the whole game worth it.

Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I like Rinoa against Ultimecia /OW/UW with only Angelo Cannon and Invincible Moon learned. Life saver once she hits IM.

lol I did so much damage to Griever I skipped a phase of the Ultimecia fight.

What phase?

Iirc when you deal enough damage Griever will then use Shockwave Pulsar then die after.
Then they will combine.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What phase?

Iirc when you deal enough damage Griever will then use Shockwave Pulsar then die after.
Then they will combine.

As soon as the music changed from the Sorceress fight BGM to the second song he died and went to the Junctioned Ultimecia part.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Still need that 1000 kill trophy for Steam before I can start my Switch playthrough. So many games are piling up for me because I keep wanting to replay the Remaster.

All I think now:
RD1YnMX.gif

Anyyway the ending is unnecessarily trippy, and also

seeing Squall smile for the first time as he pulls Rinoa in to kiss her makes the whole game worth it.
It only feels that way because the english version didn't convey the effects of TC like the Japanese version did.
Laguna's enlgish dialogue kind of explains why it's happening but Ultimecia was supposed to explain what it does to a person. Squall became trapped in TC because he was doubting himself and where he needed to return to so he was separated from everyone. Here is some of what Ultimecia was supposed to say before fighting her:

"Your very existences shall be absorbed by the algorithm of time compression!!
You will feel agony as your thoughts are ripped apart and all your memories fade away to nothing.
There won't be a thing you can do, think or even feel!
"

so what we see happening is Squall losing his memory of everyone and TC basically torturing him with it.

It's one of the things I was hoping the Remaster would update lol :(

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm really struggling to get Remedy Pluses

Is the ability I need to learn Med Data?

Nothing else Alexander has looks like it could be what I need

Do you then create the remedy pluses in battle?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I just beat Final Fantasy VIII for my first time ever and it feels so surreal. It was my first FF when I was a kid and I absolutely adored the game and its world. I loved it but at the same time I understood squat about the battle system and its nuances. I did what every other newbie did with the game...spam guardian forces! The animations were so cool and they did monster damage! That strategy worked out for the most part until I got to Disc 3 and couldn't get past the good ol' Ruby Dragon no matter how hard I tried. From there I dropped the game out of frustration at around 2000 and didn't pick the game up until nine years later when it was released on PS3 through the PSN store . Was still a bit confused about the battle system and junctioning and ended up dropping it again. Even though I never progressed through and finished the game I never really stopped thinking about it, mainly because of the music. I've always had the soundtrack on my iPod and later my smartphone. (Breezy being a particular favorite of mine)

Fast forward to 2019 and the rumbling rumors of a FF8 remaster announcement imminent. I damn near exploded in excitement watching the Square Enix E3 stream and seeing that beautiful FF8 announcement. All I could say to myself watching the trailer was: "this time is the time I'm going to finally beat FF8." Playing through the remaster, It wasn't until now how much I realized how deep and interesting the junction/guardian force system really was. It was really fun exploring different magic junctions and abilities and capturing guardian forces I never even knew existed! (for real, until the remaster, the only GFs I had were Shiva, Quetzalcoatl, Ifrit, and the Brothers) Another thing that surprised me replaying this game was Squall's story. It pains me to see the seemingly ubiquitous hate for Squall when he's definitely up there as the FF character with the biggest character development. Comparing Disc 1 Squall to Disc 2 & 3 Squall it's just crazy how much he learns, changes, and opens up. I'm rambling now but I will say that I beat that damn Ruby Dragon at the start of Disc 3! It really was a treat to see fresh VIII content for the first time and see the game through the end. It feels like a chapter of my life is finally complete. Damn near cried at the end. Spoiler talk now:

-Got major End of Evangelion vibes after the Esthar section where you head to space. Seeing the moon drip a giant blood tear drop of monsters onto the Earth is such a cool way of establishing why there's always random monsters attacking you. This game has amazing world building.

-Sorceress Adel and the backstory with Laguna was so freakin' cool! Laguna tricking her and shooting her out to space was a great way of showing how dangerous she was. Now knowing that the television screen in Timber populated with text like "I WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT ME" was Adel the whole time is just so chilling.

-Also can I just say Adel's design is badass? She's a damn muscle-ripped giant with phoenix red hair. I liked her a lot better than Ultimecia's look.

-You know how sometimes when you enter a save point and you can't save because your hitbox is a little off? I was readjusting myself for like 10 minutes at Ultimecia's Castle because the save option was grayed out. I was freaking out until I realized her powers were blocking my save ability. So meta....

-HER FIGHT WAS SO FREAKING HARD! First of all, my planned party for the fight was Squall, Quistis, and Rinoa and here's the catcher...they were the only ones that were junctioned. (and I also had Squall at low hp so I could use Renzokuken) Ultimecia forces Rinoa out. YES LET'S GO! Ultimecia forces Quistis out. HELL YEAH. Ultimecia forces Selphie out. NOOOOOOOOO I HAVEN'T USED HER SINCE DISC 1! Safe to say the fight was tough without Squall and the only reason I survived was because of Rinoa's Invincible Moon (clutch!) Squall finally came out when Irvine, Selphie, and Zell died and I cleaned up the fight and won.

-That time compression scene with Squall forgetting Rinoa was pure nightmare fuel and haunting. Losing your memories, especially of the people you love, might be the scariest living thing that could even happen to you and FF8 touches on this fear well.

-Remember when I said I damn near cried? I lied. I in fact cried quite a lot...seeing Seifer, Raijin, and Fujin happily fishing, Laguna and Raine's scene, and seeing Squall finally smiling and kissing Rinoa. Best video game love story ever.

dfdfsdfsdfdsfsd.jpg

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finally managed to get Doomtrain!

I'm near the end of the game now. Is there a point of no return? Or can I keep on going with the story?

Is there anything essential I should should have done before I start with the end of the game?

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got this for switch. It honestly doesn't look too bad on the small screen and overall im enjoying it. Some of the bad textures and stuff stick out but nothing dealbreaking. I can imagine how bad these look on a big screen though.