• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally managed to get Doomtrain!

I'm near the end of the game now. Is there a point of no return? Or can I keep on going with the story?

Is there anything essential I should should have done before I start with the end of the game?

Point of no return is the end of Disk 3.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Played some more and got up to the train section and I unlocked Diablos (sp?) GF from Cid right before that. Enjoying it more then I remember back on PS1.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Interested to hear what that Switch patch does. My two big gripes with the Remaster are the MIDI Landing and the opening credits being unsynced with Overture (which is a nitpick, non factor). If they can cross out either, I'm happy. And... here we go again with FF ports and patches.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The update was super quick so I'm still guessing it's for bugs and crashes.

Overture is still off so that definitley wasn't updated. Landing I'll have to start my Switch playthrough to test out and see if the midi version will play.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding the last dungeon more fun than the last dungeons in all other Final fantasies, perhaps save VI.

the picture riddle I looked up right away, and I may look up the organ stuff.

i got the key for the treasure room (and found the treasure room) by randomly running around and running into walls.

Ive been drawing for what seems like hours ensuring all my characters are balanced.

I honestly feel the last dungeon could be a game in its own, if a little tweaked.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Got weirdly stuck in dialogue with Cid when Squall was giving his report on the attempted assassination of Edea. There was no way to end it, just repeating over and over.

Haven't gone back to the game since.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
FF8's final dungeon is great. It's better than a fucking cave, that's for sure.

XIII-2 is maybe the most memorable to me, it has a couple of really beautiful dungeons that are absolute hell to get through.

Got weirdly stuck in dialogue with Cid when Squall was giving his report on the attempted assassination of Edea. There was no way to end it, just repeating over and over.

Haven't gone back to the game since.
You don't end it, you just walk out of the room.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Update didn't fix Landing error so I'm guessing it was just to smooth out some crashes and other bugs.

Hopefully they release notes about the update. It would be nice to know exactly what they updated.

Jun 1, 2019
I was gonna go all in on min-maxing in my lastest run of FFVIII, but it's honestly not that fun to break VIII to the most extreme extent possible. I'm gonna play VIII straight up, no power leveling guides, no going out of my way to get the final weapons on the first disc or anything, just like the first time I played VIII. VIII is so easy to break that I'll probably do it by accident anyway, but I'll save the power leveling and grinding until I'm near the end of the game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
All the FH scenes and sidequests are so great (I'm really taking my time playing obviously, I enjoy doing an hour a night). It's also when Squall's character really starts to grow. His inner monologue gets a lot more detailed.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really felt like I had to google how to get to Esthar. Am I dumb or is that rather obscure lol.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I found Omega Weapon. Thought it would be good to draw Ultima, then that attack that does 9,998 damage... I got three turns in before he did. I may try again and run after three turns.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Just finished...

Really enjoyed it! The final battle string was super intense and took me a few tries but was satisfying. I rank it pretty high among other FF for me!

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I found Omega Weapon. Thought it would be good to draw Ultima, then that attack that does 9,998 damage... I got three turns in before he did. I may try again and run after three turns.

He has an attack that will kill your party. Don't bother drawing from him. He's the hardest boss.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm there are better ways to get Ultima.....

Probably, but I don't know what they are, and this is right in front of me. I understand it probably won't work. I think I have two more bosses to beat and then I can continue.

I got Eden and ran from that one boss, so I still have to fight him.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Getting my arse kicked by the first boss on disc 4

The person I need to keep alive keeps dying despite me healing them

Any tips?

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally decided to go after Omega Weapon....... I beat him with one Renzokuken and like 8 physical attacks. I owned him so hard but for some reason I can't really feel any satisfaction........maybe I should go get LV 100 and come back again. 😑

Oct 31, 2017
Can someone who has the PS4 version please tell me how the CG cutscenes look

Do they look about as good as they do in the FFIX remaster? I consider that to be super super crisp (compared to what it was originally at least)

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, I must have lucked out getting Lionheart on Adel.
Yeah, some of Squall's limit finishers are multi-target, so you got lucky.
'
Can someone who has the PS4 version please tell me how the CG cutscenes look

Do they look about as good as they do in the FFIX remaster? I consider that to be super super crisp (compared to what it was originally at least)
Yeah I'd say they look pretty good.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: You can't use Devour on bosses, but you can on Rinoa when she's junctioned to Adel.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished 1000 kills achievement on Steam so I'm done all of them. I went and got all the character cards on Steam and also grabbed foil Squall. The rest are like $10 so I'm going to hold off for now.

I need to finish a couple of other games but once I do I'm back to doing a third playthrough on Switch.
Probably, but I don't know what they are, and this is right in front of me. I understand it probably won't work. I think I have two more bosses to beat and then I can continue.

I got Eden and ran from that one boss, so I still have to fight him.
You can Draw the Ultima spell(and every other powerful spell in the game) from the islands closet to Heaven and Hell. It's much safer and easier than doing it from a superboss. You just set no encounters and run around the island clicking for spells to draw. You can get Full-Life, Meteor, Flare, Triple, Holy, etc.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Hey do you guys reckon there will be a physical version?

I wonder if I should dive in right now, or if I wait some time for a beautiful switch cart.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
finished the remaster today on switch, filling in one of my biggest gaps in final fantasy games.

this game's really good. definitely reasonably high up on my list of favorites.

managed to avoid most spoilers for this game for literally my entire life (somehow) and was really surprised by how much I loved the story and the characters. will now be eternally confused by how people view squall, given how he actually is in the game. (seriously, if your takeaway from 8 is that he's an angsty teenager who says "...whatever" a lot, you uh... did not get far.) really enjoyed making my characters absurdly powerful through the dark art of children's card games, and... honestly, I don't think there was anything about this game that I DIDN'T like.

also, on a more systemic note, the 3x speed increase button is actually the best thing to ever happen. sure, there's some cheese you can do with it (since it doesn't speed up clock timers), but outside of that, it still just makes the (minimal) grinding or traversal way less painful. and also the eden summon animation. (I summoned it once, to see if it was the same as in the 14 raid. never again.) using it here has made me much more interested in doing the 10/10-2/12 remasters, now that I know they won't take nearly as long as they did the first time.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
You can Draw the Ultima spell(and every other powerful spell in the game) from the islands closet to Heaven and Hell. It's much safer and easier than doing it from a superboss. You just set no encounters and run around the island clicking for spells to draw. You can get Full-Life, Meteor, Flare, Triple, Holy, etc.

Thanks for letting me know!

I finished the game this morning. I relied solely on Squall's limit break, elixers (one card gave me 100 elixers I believe) and Cura to slightly heal Squall, but not enough so that he can't get limit breaks.

I enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought I would. I mentioned it before, but I hated the game at age 14. This time I have seen the light. For numbered Final Fantasies, I would put it at number 3, behind VI and XII. In some ways, it feels like the most "Final Fantasy" game of the series. I wonder if seeing the light on VIII means I may actually be able to stomach XIII too?

I beat XI, VII, XII, X and VIII on Switch this year. Great fun! Here's hoping for a Chrono Cross remaster.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I made it to the final dungeon but went through a portal back to the overworld for a bit

Is there an easy way to get the ship back?

Can I go into the final dungeon and then come back out at any time? Or are you locked in once you start?

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
I made it to the final dungeon but went through a portal back to the overworld for a bit

Is there an easy way to get the ship back?

Can I go into the final dungeon and then come back out at any time? Or are you locked in once you start?
You can come back anytime before you engage ultimecia. The ship is in Kashkabald desert so go in the gate nearest to it and take a chocobo

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Hey do you guys reckon there will be a physical version?

I wonder if I should dive in right now, or if I wait some time for a beautiful switch cart.

There's going to be a physical release of the Switch version in Asia. It's going to have English and Japanese text. It's going to be a twin pack that has Final Fantasy VII and VIII.

hCKxcgH.jpg

Deleted member 59854

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
So I finally decided to go after Omega Weapon....... I beat him with one Renzokuken and like 8 physical attacks. I owned him so hard but for some reason I can't really feel any satisfaction........maybe I should go get LV 100 and come back again. 😑
I can't imagine the fun of an Omega Weapon who isn't on level 100 by default! People are understandably disappointed about the lack of analogue and rumble, but this weird scaling Omega is the most tragic of all! By the time you're level 100, I imagine he'd be awfully easy. I think the most maxed out game I ever had on the PS was around level 70 or so, and I just used my GFs as shields together with Aura on Squall, as I recall.

I was in Deling the other day and the experience with the baked-in NPCs was pretty rough. It did not bother me in Balamb Garden at all, but to see the most bustling and huge RPG city I'd ever encountered in 1999 appearing as this ghastly town of pixel zombies was a downer...I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. It would be nice if the PC modders focus on restoring this great city to its former glory!

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I must say that not using Curaga for HP-Junctioning before Esthar makes the game MUCH more balanced.

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine the fun of an Omega Weapon who isn't on level 100 by default! People are understandably disappointed about the lack of analogue and rumble, but this weird scaling Omega is the most tragic of all! By the time you're level 100, I imagine he'd be awfully easy. I think the most maxed out game I ever had on the PS was around level 70 or so, and I just used my GFs as shields together with Aura on Squall, as I recall.

I was in Deling the other day and the experience with the baked-in NPCs was pretty rough. It did not bother me in Balamb Garden at all, but to see the most bustling and huge RPG city I'd ever encountered in 1999 appearing as this ghastly town of pixel zombies was a downer...I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. It would be nice if the PC modders focus on restoring this great city to its former glory!
Well I kinda also levelled up to the max using Spr Up Str Up HP Up and Vit Up. Maybe I should try him on base stats as well. Not using Magic junctioning.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, def at least a few hours. There are plenty of opportunities to save though. Carve out at least 1 hour for the final boss+ending just in case, more if you didn't do a lot of side quests/cards.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Trabia and Burmecia in FF9 have a really similar vibe.

On the big twist: it really doesn't seem that much of a stretch, they're what, 4 years old? I can't remember anyone from when I was 4 at this point. GFs just exacerbate it.

Jan 11, 2018

It also makes sense in its full context.

The game tells you about children all over the world being orphaned due to the war. There is nothing unlikely about the main cast of the game being from the same orphanage, because of the time loop. Squall from the future makes sure that Edea from the past takes action against Ultimecia, and of course she and Cid would make GARDEN the new home for the children once they were of age. Memory loss as a side effect of relying too much on the use of Guardian Forces is also hinted at several times in the game prior to the big reveal. They're of course all drawn to each other even after forgetting their past beyond just having been orphans, because somewhere in the back of their minds they still have that connection. It's why Quistis believes she has feelings for Squall, before she realises it's the sisterly instinct from childhood that's lingering.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people complain about the fact that Squall and Rinoa found the Ragnarok in space and it just so happened to be floating by there. I really think people aren't paying attention when they bitch about that scene. The ragnaroks were used to bring Adel's Tomb up there in the first place. The guys on the space station also mention that Adels Tomb is so big it has its own gravitational pull. of course the ragnarok would be floating around there.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
A lot of people complain about the fact that Squall and Rinoa found the Ragnarok in space and it just so happened to be floating by there. I really think people aren't paying attention when they bitch about that scene. The ragnaroks were used to bring Adel's Tomb up there in the first place. The guys on the space station also mention that Adels Tomb is so big it has its own gravitational pull. of course the ragnarok would be floating around there.
Everything in the game is explained, it's just not spelled out, which people struggle with.

I think a lot of people played it first as a kid and that didn't help.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If I'm able to smash through all the end dungeon bosses without too much trouble can I assume the end boss won't be too much trouble either?

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm able to smash through all the end dungeon bosses without too much trouble can I assume the end boss won't be too much trouble either?
The final boss is harder than all of them except Omega but Omega is a super boss so that makes sense.

Overall I don't think you'll have major trouble but you should still be a little more prepared compared to all the other fights. My recommendation if you want to ensure everything goes okay is to mod the Gilgamesh card and have a character equipped with Item so that you can make your party invincible. Other than that, save before the fight(there is a save point right outside the door) and see how you manage. If you end up losing just post where you died so that we can give some tips for avoiding it.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So, should I get this or stick with PSX version on Vita/PSP?

The character models look good, but no analog movement stings man...