• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 59854

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
And yeah I thought that was the case, it just fell a bit flat for me sadly lol.
Maybe I'd of not had such a reaction to her heartfelt dialogue if all of her speech for it was also in capitals, or maybe breaking down from capitals into a regular speech pattern. As if she was struggling to break through it but getting there in the end.
That actually would have been a fantastic idea. And it would have worked in both languages, too: Fuujin could have added a few particles to her kanji-only speech, then progressively more until it basically moved from kanbun (classic Chinese read as if it were Japanese) into modern Japanese, while in English, the transition out of caps could've accomplished the same move towards greater readability. Still, I guess the sudden switch is meant to be a sign of a huge character relationship change, so I get it.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just finished on switch. I had played this back in 1998. I loved it but it didn't hit me the way 7 did. And I don't think I fully understood the story back as a kid.

but this time around I have to say I appreciated the game much more.

- I really loved how the developed Squall using Thought bubbles. Never seen that before in a game story and it really explained his character development.

- this game is a love story. If you take it that way, the plot weaknesses don't rub you the wrong way as much. Naturally, the orphanage stuff and forgetting they were coincidently all from the same orphanage was forced. They could have fixed This pretty easily though- just have Ultimicia or some cosmic force bring them together for some greater/malevolent purpose.

- I usually dislike lyrical music stuff in ff but eyes on me was nice. When the singer says this line "... so let me come to you...." and the flower petal floats down toward laguna, that really got it. Beautiful ending.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finally completed it 😭😭😭
This is the first time I've completed the game on my own, since watching my brother play the whole game in 1999.

Ultimecias Castle was an absolute delight, the bosses and the puzzling seal mechanic was refreshing. I remember it being more a pain in the ass for my bro so maybe I just had better junctions overall.

Omega can fuck the fuck off. I tried to The End him but I tragically skipped past The End 3 times and gave up.

Ultimecia took me an hour roughly to beat, she was so fucking hard. I kept talking to my partner who was casually watching me and I was like "yeah she's only got 3 forms that I remember haha" to only be faced with 5 FORMS. The absolute mad woman. He was like "why do you play RPGS." 🤣 In the end I had Squall, Quistis and Selphie left, Selphie tragically got lost to time and I was bricking it that I was gonna lose an hour of play lmao. The last 5-10 mins were intense.

The ending! Was not as bad as I was lead to believe, I remembered all of the creepy stuff as soon as it started to happen. The whole "omg it makes no sense" narrative that a lot of people pushed seems silly when the whole idea was that time compression was occurring, timey wimey loopy doopty stuff.

It was interesting to see Edea inherit Ultimecias powers.

Anyway the game was absolutely fantastic and an absolute blast to re-experience. ❤️

I don't know what to do anymore lol. Gonna miss playing it.

Deleted member 59854

Banned
Sep 8, 2019
I finally completed it 😭😭😭
This is the first time I've completed the game on my own, since watching my brother play the whole game in 1999.
I don't know what to do anymore lol. Gonna miss playing it.
Bravo! The only thing to do now is...play it again! This time getting all the cards. While this won't be any fun at all as such, it's a totally different way to explore the game's really interesting world, as a Pokemon-style thing where you incidentally stop collecting and enjoying the scenery in order to advance.
Was FFVIII giving you the option to play Shenmue-style before Shenmue existed??

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Bravo! The only thing to do now is...play it again! This time getting all the cards. While this won't be any fun at all as such, it's a totally different way to explore the game's really interesting world, as a Pokemon-style thing where you incidentally stop collecting and enjoying the scenery in order to advance.
Was FFVIII giving you the option to play Shenmue-style before Shenmue existed??

I did end up getting all of the cards!! 🤣
I'm proud of that at least, as I wasn't originally going to lol. I used to think Tetra Master was better but Triple Triad is godly.
(Apart from Random, that can fuck off)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- this game is a love story. If you take it that way, the plot weaknesses don't rub you the wrong way as much. Naturally, the orphanage stuff and forgetting they were coincidently all from the same orphanage was forced. They could have fixed This pretty easily though- just have Ultimicia or some cosmic force bring them together for some greater/malevolent purpose.

It's not a coincidence and there's no need for "some cosmic force" to bring them together: Cid Kramer is the one who orchestrated the events to bring them together, as the headmaster of Garden and since Edea knows all the events of the game (via meeting Squall in the ending sequence, hence a time loop).

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that people still overlook that, or don't make the connection once they beat the game.

I'm guessing you've already got this pre-ordered Wazzy ?
I did!

Preordered when it was first announced. I haven't checked the update to see the cover of the album since the original pre order post didn't have an image. I think it's expected to deliver in December? That's what I remember the release date being.

Jan 11, 2018
Don't expect it to be anything more than a glorified reprint of the original soundtrack though. They didn't really improve the sound quality of the tracks included on the previous revival discs for the Final Fantasy games (whereas those for Xenogears and the Chrono games actually sound remastered). I'm assuming the cover art will feature the game logo, like the one for FFVII did. It's kind of weird how they just dropped the crystal theme of the previous releases though. It'd be nice if they decided to include something rare on it, like the unused take of The Landing.

Deleted member 59854

Banned
Sep 8, 2019
It'd be nice if they decided to include something rare on it, like the unused take of The Landing.
That would be HOT HOT HOT.

Meanwhile, in the spirit of Halloween, why not replay or watch the Sorceress' Parade, one of the most extravagant and spooky sequences in the game, and arguably the entire series? Edea's delicious speech is the perfect scene-setter. I checked the (generally quite good) English script just now and found that for some reason, the vivid imagery, allusions to "final fantasy" (later appearing with Gilgamesh in FFXII and maybe elsewhere), and strong suggestion it's Ultimecia's voice are all missing, so here's a closer translation for all of your ghostly rituals:

Edea: …This stench. ….Filthy, miserable fools. Since ancient times, we sorceresses have lived within the realm of fantasy, a foolish fantasy that you yourselves created. The sorceresses, clad in fearful garments, undertaking wicked rituals to cast deadly spells on innocent humans. The fearsome sorceresses, who scorch the green fields with merciless magic, and turn warm hometowns to ice. What utter rubbish.

President Deling: …?

Edea: Yet now that one of those fearsome sorceresses from your fantasies has become Galbadia's ally, you heave a sigh of relief? Layering fantasy atop of fantasy…who is it that's dreaming?

President Deling: E, Edea, what on earth... Ede---! [cast aside]

Edea: But reality is not so kind. It is not kind in the least. Thus, you miserable fools, you have no choice! Retreat into your own fantasies! And I shall continue this dance for you in that world of fantasy! I shall continue this dance into the future, forevermore, as the sorceress who brings forth your fears! You and I, and this ultimate [final] fantasy we create together. There, life and death are but sweet dreams. The sorceress, and this fantasy, for all eternity! Together with Galbadia, the sorceress' minion, for all eternity!

[Exits; brings statues to life]

Edea: A sorceress would appear to require a sacrifice and a wicked ritual.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
One of the things i like is that a big theme in the first two discs is Squall just following orders. And then in Disc 3.

When he saves Rinoa in space, he says "I just did what I wanted to do".

All the animations are incredibly good in that part of the game too.

Last edited:

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Did the Sorceress Memorial always have the Great Salt Lake music when you're first able to get there? I know there are music bugs here and there in the game (I've heard the long intro to Galbadia Garden so many times in this playthrough) but I thought it played something else in the PS1 version.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished disc 1 and am about 2 hours in on the 2nd disc. The ending of disc 1 is really well done and has me invested in the story. I'm really appreciating the game more then I did as a teenager. I never finished it then, but did see my younger brothers finish it. Here's hoping I'll finally finish it all these years later.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the mod community on board with porting their work to this version of the game?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to abolish Random and Elemental in Dollet in the cards is taking far too long. All I am getting is spreading the same rule.

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to abolish Random and Elemental in Dollet in the cards is taking far too long. All I am getting is spreading the same rule.

Use the below to abolish Random

Safe locations (aka where to save and whom to challenge):

Dollet (Dollet region):
- Save at the second floor of pub (need Move Find ability)
- Use the person in the same room or the pub owner to abolish rules

Abolishing rules if QoC is not present in the region in question:

Abolish Random:
Conditions: Unable to spread Open and Same Wall
- Hardreset
- Load save where you want to abolish the rule
- Challenge, select no for a total of 4 times
- Challenge, select yes, Quit without playing
Random should be abolished

Abolish Elemental:
Conditions: None
- Hardreset
- Load save close to Dollet's magazine stack
- use magazine stack once
- Softreset, load save where you want to abolish the rule
- Challenge, select no for a total of 1 times
Elemental should be abolished.

Abolishing rules in the region where the QoC *is* present (do not challenge QoC herself for this - use some other card player in the region):

Abolish Random:
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 2 times

Abolish Elemental:
- Hardreset
- use magazine stack twice

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh. I just got shot into a rocket without any explanation? (After Esthar). Why are they shooting me into the moon? Did something get lost in translation?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Use the below to abolish Random

Safe locations (aka where to save and whom to challenge):

Dollet (Dollet region):
- Save at the second floor of pub (need Move Find ability)
- Use the person in the same room or the pub owner to abolish rules

Abolishing rules if QoC is not present in the region in question:

Abolish Random:
- Hardreset
- Load save where you want to abolish the rule
- Challenge, select no for a total of 4 times

Abolish Elemental:
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 1 times

Abolishing rules in the region where the QoC *is* present (do not challenge QoC herself for this - use some other card player in the region):

Abolish Random:
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 2 times

Abolish Elemental:
- Hardreset
- use magazine stack twice
So whenever you want to abolish random, you are sacrificing the open and same wall rules?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Uhh. I just got shot into a rocket without any explanation? (After Esthar). Why are they shooting me into the moon? Did something get lost in translation?
That point of the game is breakneck pace with little explanation. Basically you're getting sent there because Ellone's there.

I feel like that there should have been like a quest or something when you got to Esthar before sending you up. They give you this huge city and then just send you away immediately. I guess they want to get the Rinoa stuff resolved ASAP but it definitely rushes you through that part of the story too quickly. Disc 3 might have cuts, I dunno.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
That point of the game is breakneck pace with little explanation. Basically you're getting sent there because Ellone's there.

I feel like that there should have been like a quest or something when you got to Esthar before sending you up. They give you this huge city and then just send you away immediately. I guess they want to get the Rinoa stuff resolved ASAP but it definitely rushes you through that part of the story too quickly. Disc 3 might have cuts, I dunno.

So what happens is Squall says he needs to see Elone and then the Esthar folks are like come to this base. You get to the base and the dudes like "okay ready to go off into space?" And squall is like "sure!" Like it's normal. No one ever says Ellone is in space.

Don't get me started on the theme song scene where Rinoa is fawning over Squall and he is being rudeaf. Then five minutes later sad she's gone. The writing is horrendous.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It was Disc 4 that had cuts. They wanted you to able to visit towns during time compression, but the ending FMVs took up too much disc space so they had to be cut.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Could someone please help me? I'm trying to understand the rules/rule changing of Triple Triad and I just don't. I'm in Dollett and the rules read as follows:
  • Open
  • Random
  • Same
  • Elemental
  • Trade Rule: One
What does this mean? I'm following the bover_87 guide and it's telling me:

Now, onward to Dollet proper. Your first order of business should be to change the Triple Triad rules in Dollet to not be so unfavorable (Random especially is a nuisance, as is the lack of the Open rule). Ideally, you should be carrying Galbadia rules with Open spread, so simply play (i.e. challenge, accept, then quit at the rule screen) the girl near the car rental area (in red) until either a rule changes, or she stops asking. If Same spread, Elemental abolished, or nothing happens and she stops asking, reset (you can also use the methods given here to guarantee success); otherwise, return to Timber (follow the road to avoid encounters) and challenge the entrance guard on the left. He'll ask to mix rules; decline until he stops asking, then play a game with him.

It says random in a nuisance so I need to change? it says Open spread is good but I don't know what an open spread is. So I'm hoping someone hear can either help me out or point me to a nice and easy to understand tutorial on this

thank you.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

You're not responding to me, but I haven't been able to find one just yet (though I'm still looking). I think it might have come from people who have actually just looked at the discs; the way VII and VIII (and I think IX?) work is that the full game is present on each disc, but the CGs differ because of the amount of space they take up, iirc.

EDIT: As I looked, I found some stuff that hints at it, but no confirmation just yet (though this is some cursory searching, not in-depth yet):

Ultimania translations:
Interviewer: Were you planning to use four discs from the beginning?

Narita: That's what we were expecting. We barely managed to scrape by with three discs for the previous game. But once we knew this game would have four discs partway through development, we had some pressure on us to make sure it wouldn't end up being five, so that was tough. As a programmer, I worried quite a bit about whether it'd all fit or not during development.

Last edited:

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Guys, there's a ps4 1.01 patch out :)

- Fixed some issues where the player could get stuck.
- Fixed some issues with BGM and audio.
- Fixed other minor issues.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
The PS4 patch synced up the opening credits! Small little thing, but fucking awesome. For the most part, I always let Overture play out so I appreciate this quite a bit.

I'll load up some save files and see what else is up.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 patch synced up the opening credits! Small little thing, but fucking awesome. For the most part, I always let Overture play out so I appreciate this quite a bit.

I'll load up some save files and see what else is up.
That's great to hear! It's one of the issues I know bothered a lot of people so having it line up now is good.

I have a feeling Landing got fixed which is the biggest deal for me.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! They did it!! You can reload in the Dollet mission and the track plays properly and the Garden battle is now properly glorious. Now I kinda miss the MIDI. ;)
Nice and thanks for confirming!

My Switch playthrough can now go even better with the fixes implemented. I'll update OP that the issues have been fixed.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Just came to post the game was patched on PS4 and can confirm they fixed the Dollet/Landing music (I saved here and stopped playing lol)

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Wondering about input lag now 🤔
I have no way of testing and it's probably placebo but I feel the battle menus do feel snappier and while not full analog walking it feels better than it did before but that's probably just because it's been like 2 months since I played and don't really have a frame of reference. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Maybe I'm just used to the changes Though

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Good to see the patch fixed some of the audio issues.

The movement feels better to me. Might be imagining things though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Movement does feel smoother. Battle menu and main menu also seem to be running smoother and I didn't notice any input lag.

Ran around Balamb Garden and didn't experience any slowdowns. This was on Switch so I'm going to test on PS4 in a few mins.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't t abolish the random or elemental

The guide above doesn't work for me. All I am getting is the same rule has spread.

The guide says check the magazine stack which I assume is in the pub in Dollet but you need to win a match to get in to the secret room which I can't do because of the random rule.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Patch isn't perfect, it still plays the full intro to Galbadia Garden every damn time you go into it or load up a save.

Still, it's a start.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Still can't t abolish the random or elemental

The guide above doesn't work for me. All I am getting is the same rule has spread.

The guide says check the magazine stack which I assume is in the pub in Dollet but you need to win a match to get in to the secret room which I can't do because of the random rule.
Yeah, I can't get the rules to change either. Haven't played the game in a few days because of this. There are some supposedly sure fire ways to change it, per the guide I linked, but I have yet to try those methods.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game...

I won't blame the remaster for this but I didn't like it as much as I used to.

When I was younger, my standards for Storytelling were way lower. As long as it looked cool, I was on board. But now... I have many questions that I didn't have back then... Maybe I missed something, If someone can help me to find where the informations are explained in game I'd appreciate it.

-What are the sorceress and where do they come from ?
-where does Ellone's Power comes from
-Was Seifer an Afterthought ??? He is barely developed despite looking very important at the beginning. Then somehow He sides with Edea... I read somewhere that he was mind controlled ? Is his true ? I felt like I had missed something at the ending Cutscene because he never redeemed himself and kinda got no punishments for his actions.
-The orphanage scene is still dumb

Gameplay
What can I say about the Magic Jonction system that hasn't been said yet. It's very customizable but very frustrating too in my opinion. Also... is there a point to leveling up really ? Enemies will scale with you so... Disabling random Encounter is the way to go apparently.

Anyway... It was okay, but it's one of the Weaker FF for me.