• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Movement does feel smoother. Battle menu and main menu also seem to be running smoother and I didn't notice any input lag.

Ran around Balamb Garden and didn't experience any slowdowns. This was on Switch so I'm going to test on PS4 in a few mins.

I got a PS4 after all and I was wondering if you managed to test the PS4 version with the recent update. Are some of the points mentioned better or fixed?

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Finally on my way to
Esthar
. I gotta say that the more I play the more I'm enjoying it. Really love Squall and Rinoa and Squall is on his way to being one of my top 3 male protagonists in the series and Rinoa might end up behind only Yuna. Can't wait to play more.

Oct 27, 2017
Had a "Snow Squall" alert on my phone today while at work (which did hit) and made me want to play. Sadly I didn't but I saw this thread and wanted to mention that heh.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the update on mods for this version of the game? I'm waiting for high-definition backgrounds to be available before playing it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any hint whatsoever how long the sale on this will last? 13 bucks on Switch is amazing so I don't want to miss out on it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So I've been playing this with x3 speed, no random encounters and the R3 thing is but I'm stuck on the missile base boss, it 1 shots me with a certain attack which makes god mode or whatever that thing is really useless, I was hoping to just go through the story this way but it seems like it isn't possible.

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been playing this with x3 speed, no random encounters and the R3 thing is but I'm stuck on the missile base boss, it 1 shots me with a certain attack which makes god mode or whatever that thing is really useless, I was hoping to just go through the story this way but it seems like it isn't possible.
How many turrets do you destroy before dying?

If you have Elemental attack junctioning available then equip lightning to those characters. Equip Quetzalcoatl for any that don't have it. You can draw and cast protect from it as well. When it starts using beam cannon repeatedly keep 1 character attacking at all times while the other two revive with phoenix downs.

Last edited:

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what that is so probably no.

Ok just try this first.

If you have Elemental attack junctioning available then equip lightning to those characters. Equip Quetzalcoatl for any that don't have it. You can draw and cast protect from it as well. When it starts using beam cannon repeatedly keep 1 character attacking at all times while the other two revive with phoenix downs.

If that doesn't work then I'll have to explain a few junctioning stuff to get you through it. Oh and try using as many limit breaks as possible, especially if you have either Irvine or zell in your party

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ok just try this first.

If that doesn't work then I'll have to explain a few junctioning stuff to get you through it. Oh and try using as many limit breaks as possible, especially if you have either Irvine or zell in your party
Sadly I only have Shiva and Carbuncle on my current team, I'm just grinding right now so I don't get 1 shot, I honestly haven't bothered with junctioning much too.

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I only have Shiva and Carbuncle on my current team, I'm just grinding right now so I don't get 1 shot, I honestly haven't bothered with junctioning much too.
You can remove the GF from the other characters at any time. Just select them from the menu when your selecting for junction.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone worked out a consistent method for removing Triple Triad rules in this version? The lack of soft resetting really makes things a lot more difficult when the RNG is always the same and I haven't worked out a knack for what needs to be done to get it the way I want it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
At time of release this was my least favorite FF and had no idea how people enjoyed it.

I wanted to give the game a second chance with this remaster and 20 years later it's probably even worse than I remember it.

The battle UI is horrible, especially coming after 7 that had a nice UI.

I don't want to spend too much time complaining but the worst thing to me is still the junction system.

In the original release I remember getting close to the end of disc 2.

Currently I am 2 hours into the remaster and really want to continue but I don't think I can last much longer :(

If anyone has any tips to make this enjoyable let me know

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is in my backlog, I never completed it so feel like it's got to be done. I wonder what percentage of people finish the game

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Get better taste in games

Or at the very least pay attention to the tutorials on how to use the Junction system, it's very easy and customizable

I see you edited your post and want to have an actual discussion.

First of all I am not arguing that the junction system is not customizable. The idea itself is great. The execution and ease of usability is my issue with it.

I know I can put fire once I unlock the stat that allows me to set fire to my attacks so my attacks become fire elemental. Or do the same thing but put fire on my armor so it can absorb fire damage instead. Just the whole menu navigation is so cumbersome.

There are a lot of things that are not really explained such as limit breaks. It seems the way I can do a limit break is for my health to be yellow. I don't see a bar like 7 for example.

Or how I can heal my summons. It seems they heal overtime outside of battle.

Yes I am sure this information is buried in the tutorial menu that also has 10000 other things to read and learn. But it should be presented to the player as it is critical and core to the actual gameplay.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The battle UI is horrible, especially coming after 7 that had a nice UI.

All I can say to that is I think we have very different ideas of nice UI

FFVIIbattlexample.jpg

Don't force yourself to play a game you clearly don't like just because if has Final Fantasy in the name

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I see you edited your post and want to have an actual discussion.

First of all I am not arguing that the junction system is not customizable. The idea itself is great. The execution and ease of usability is my issue with it.

I know I can put fire once I unlock the stat that allows me to set fire to my attacks so my attacks become fire elemental. Or do the same thing but put fire on my armor so it can absorb fire damage instead. Just the whole menu navigation is so cumbersome.

There are a lot of things that are not really explained such as limit breaks. It seems the way I can do a limit break is for my health to be yellow. I don't see a bar like 7 for example.

Or how I can heal my summons. It seems they heal overtime outside of battle.

Yes I am sure this information is buried in the tutorial menu that also has 10000 other things to read and learn. But it should be presented to the player as it is critical and core to the actual gameplay.
The menu navigation is pretty simple, and most of the time you can just auto junction to STR and then set up your commands and you're done if it's overwhelming.

Limit breaks just pop up randomly. Lower the health, the higher the chance to show up. If you want you can get to low health and press triangle to refresh your turn until you get one.

You heal your summons with GF potions.

All you have to do is get good spells to junction to health and strength and that'll carry you through basically the entire game. Things like healing GFs really aren't critical to the game at all, and the game covers basically everything you need to know with junctions in the story tutorials.

And yeah I was initially dismissive of your post because it was just "I don't like this game" without elaborating why.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
All I can say to that is I think we have very different ideas of nice UI

FFVIIbattlexample.jpg

You can see the total hp and what is left at the very least. Also you have an idea when your limit break is coming up. As opposed to in 8 where it just shows your timer and hp
The menu navigation is pretty simple, and most of the time you can just auto junction to STR and then set up your commands and you're done if it's overwhelming.

Limit breaks just pop up randomly. Lower the health, the higher the chance to show up. If you want you can get to low health and press triangle to refresh your turn until you get one.

You heal your summons with GF potions.

All you have to do is get good spells to junction to health and strength and that'll carry you through basically the entire game. Things like healing GFs really aren't critical to the game at all, and the game covers basically everything you need to know with junctions in the story tutorials.

Would you recommend I just auto junction? Or do I need to manually do stuff later in the game against the tougher bosses?

And yea I know about the potions for GF, but at the time (start of game) I had none and my GFs were at yellow health

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Would you recommend I just auto junction?

Ok, I have a way of playing this game that isn't probably the intended way, but it is incredibly effective.

Every time I change party, I change GF. I set up my team with GF's that unlock the maximum amount of junction slots possible - with a basic aim of at least getting everybody with Strength junctioned. I then let auto assign the junctions as appropriate. I only ever really tinker with the elemental and status junctions. I also did a wee bit of early game Card refining in order to get a headstart on magic for junctioning.

Anyway, that GF setup probably would allow your team to start mowing through the game. At any point, you're generally really well powered for physical attacking and for defending against physical and magical attacks.

With this setup, you don't get the "character gets affinity with GF and can summon quickly" thing, but I never really found that impacted too much.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, I have a way of playing this game that isn't probably the intended way, but it is incredibly effective.

Every time I change party, I change GF. I set up my team with GF's that unlock the maximum amount of junction slots possible - with a basic aim of at least getting everybody with Strength junctioned. I then let auto assign the junctions as appropriate. I only ever really tinker with the elemental and status junctions. I also did a wee bit of early game Card refining in order to get a headstart on magic for junctioning.

Anyway, that GF setup probably would allow your team to start mowing through the game. At any point, you're generally really well powered for physical attacking and for defending against physical and magical attacks.

With this setup, you don't get the "character gets affinity with GF and can summon quickly" thing, but I never really found that impacted too much.

I actually am not having any trouble getting through fights right now. My issue is just the cumbersome menu.

And yea I myself also switch GFs everytime I get a new party. But maybe I will just auto junction and save myself the headache of customizing every single GF with a character and only do it if I encounter a hard boss or something like that

I know there is some of this, but is there anything critical I might miss that I should get since I am still at the very start of the game?

Also Cid gave me a battle meter, but I have no idea where I can access it from

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The battle meter in is the help section somewhere, all it does is show you some info about how many battles you've won and stuff

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
is there anything critical I might miss

Don't forget to draw from bosses as that is usually your GF source. Have a go at the magic lamp as soon as you can. There are one or two side locations in the game that you should stop off at that are not part of the story route. I think the weird maze/monumnet at Galbadia region is the first of these. Oh, and before you do Lunatic Pandora (the big weird ice looking place) with Laguna & Crew, make sure you read up on the order with which to trigger the explosive charges. You only get to see the implications of that about 40 hours later! That's the only thing that is a real pain to miss.

But yeah, auto-junction to save the woes of junctioning stats one by one. I don't find the menu too bad - usually it is a nice workflow of: remove all GF -> assign GFs -> Auto - ATK -> ready to go! I find it no more onerous than materia.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Would you recommend I just auto junction? Or do I need to manually do stuff later in the game against the tougher bosses?

And yea I know about the potions for GF, but at the time (start of game) I had none and my GFs were at yellow health
The game scales to your level. If you don't level up too much (or just turn off encounters altogether), you can get through the game with auto junction. There may be a few times where you have to manually change an elemental ATK junction but that's about it. If you get Curaga ASAP (which is easily done with Siren's L Mag-Refine and Tents) and put that on HP you'll have a ton of health. Get your strongest magic on your STR and you'll never need to even use GFs.

As far as GF set ups go, you just want to make sure you can junction as much to a wide range of stats with each character. That's about it. There's a guide to ideal distribution but you don't have to be strict about it. Just make sure everyone has high health and hits hard.

All you need to do is avoid grinding levels and the game is a breeze. You don't need to min-max or worry about junctioning too much.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget to draw from bosses as that is usually your GF source. Have a go at the magic lamp as soon as you can. There are one or two side locations in the game that you should stop off at that are not part of the story route. I think the weird maze/monumnet at Galbadia region is the first of these. Oh, and before you do Lunatic Pandora (the big weird ice looking place) with Laguna & Crew, make sure you read up on the order with which to trigger the explosive charges. You only get to see the implications of that about 40 hours later! That's the only thing that is a real pain to miss.

But yeah, auto-junction to save the woes of junctioning stats one by one. I don't find the menu too bad - usually it is a nice workflow of: remove all GF -> assign GFs -> Auto - ATK -> ready to go! I find it no more onerous than materia.

I always draw anytime I face a new enemy :)

The game scales to your level. If you don't level up too much (or just turn off encounters altogether), you can get through the game with auto junction. There may be a few times where you have to manually change an elemental ATK junction but that's about it. If you get Curaga ASAP (which is easily done with Siren's L Mag-Refine and Tents) and put that on HP you'll have a ton of health. Get your strongest magic on your STR and you'll never need to even use GFs.

As far as GF set ups go, you just want to make sure you can junction as much to a wide range of stats with each character. That's about it. There's a guide to ideal distribution but you don't have to be strict about it. Just make sure everyone has high health and hits hard.

All you need to do is avoid grinding levels and the game is a breeze. You don't need to min-max or worry about junctioning too much.

Yea I knew about that from the original release. No point in power leveling as enemies level up with you.

I guess I will try auto junction and see if I can make the game more enjoyable without worrying about what to junction where

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
About to play as laguna. Anything besides the explosive order I should not miss?

Weapons, items, etc?

Actually is there something like an ultimate weapon or summon or something that i could possibly miss at start of game?

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
About to play as laguna. Anything besides the explosive order I should not miss?

Weapons, items, etc?

Actually is there something like an ultimate weapon or summon or something that i could possibly miss at start of game?
Hi, Naar! As others have said, make sure to attempt to draw on new enemies to see if there's a spell you don't have (you'll see ????) or that you want more of and to get the GFs from bosses.

You absolutely can just auto junction and what I usually do is auto junction to ATK and then when you've come across useful spells that would cause detrimental affects like blind or death, you can make sure that's what you have assigned to the status affect junction. If you are custom placing junctions, you can panel over to the left a couple times for status affect junctions and elemental junctions for both offense and defense. The game will put the most powerful spells on for you automatically or a balance of a spell that's strong and that you have the most draws of but if you think there's a more useful status affect you can change it or if you're fighting a boss with a particular elemental weakness, you can assign that. Note that you need to unlock status-j and elem-j passives from GFs in order to junction magic to status and elements. If your characters has a particular junction greyed out, they don't have a GF equipped that's learned that passive or you haven't finished learning the passive yet. You can spread your GFs around to make sure all three party members get all the junctions or most of their passives.

For the Laguna segment, there's also a key that you can find and he'll drop through a hole in his pocket that will allow you to get it later in the game as Squall. It's not a big deal if you miss these, they allow you to get some decent items but nothing crazy. Look at a gamefaqs if you don't want to miss anything with that Laguna segment.

As for weapons, you will find "Weapons Monthly" issues that show more advanced models of your character's weapons and what mats you need. Not everyone is covered in every issue. When you have all the materials, you can go to a junk shop and have them upgrade it for you. You will also see the more advanced weapons show up at the junk shop if you have all the materials on hand even if you haven't found the magazine revealing the recipe. I strongly recommend trying to get Squall's best weapon, Lion Heart before the end of the game, at least before the final dungeon. There are guides you can look up on how to get the ingredients early. There's even a way to get in on disc 1 if you play a lot of Triple Triad and various other grinding. That's for enthusiasts haha but it will give Squall a limit burst called Lion Heart that will obliterate enemies and bosses when you get Squall's ATK up. The reason I recommend it before the final dungeon without spoiling any story is that there will be a boss encounter that doesn't allow you to use GFs so if you've been using GFs all game you'll need another strategy to take that boss down and Lion Heart is by far the easiest method plus I think it's pretty bad ass particularly when you get Squall's ATK high enough to make every hit do 9999 damage haha I'd recommend waiting until Disc 3 to get it as there's a really easy way to get the most painful material so you don't have to play a ton of Triple Triad for it though I personally find Triple Triad to be the greatest mini-game ever and spend hours on it every time I replay the game.

Aside from that, concerning limit bursts, don't forget concerning Rinoa to check Angelo's progress on learning a new ability. You'll need to manually change it to what you want to learn so after you've run around for a while, check it in the menu. You'll learn new abilities for Angelo to learn via the "Pet Pals" magazines you find and can buy from Pet Stores. Zell is the other character who's limit bursts are learned from magazines in his case, they are called "Combat King".

This game is really flexible in letting you play as you want to. Everyone says to not level since the enemies scale but I max my characters levels every single time I play and have no issues. What's more important is that you obtain strong magic to junction to your stats. If you stay low level and do this, you basically break the game which a lot of people enjoy. When you have the means to travel around the world quickly on Disc 3 (you'll know what I mean when you get to that moment), bring it up here and we can point you to two islands that have the strongest spells in the game so you can put Enc-None on and just run around drawing like crazy and bounce between the islands. You don't have to do this but it obviously will make you super powerful.

Otherwise, just enjoy the ride, there's some really great moments through out the game and some incredible set pieces to experience so I hope you stick with it! If you like Triple Triad, you can convert cards into super useful items and materials that will also allow you to get a leg up on the game. You can even further convert items into magic if you wanted. Once you grasp the systems, this game is one of the most flexible out there. Feel free to ask any other questions you have! Enjoy the game!

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be starting another playthrough again soon but I'm also going to try out a segmented speed run. I was going to test run how long it takes me to clear disc 1 but I'm pretty busy right now and can't spare that much time to focus on it so Dollet Segment run is looking the most likely for me. I think best record is 42 minutes so need to see if I can beat that. I don't know if I'll try this weekend but I'm hoping to.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
I finally beat it, the last time I finished it was around 20 years ago and i didn't remember of thing!

Oh boy, now I understand why people said Rinoa = Ultimecia, I don't know why Square put so many hints at this. The whole set up with the Chronos ring when you name it, I thought it was going to be a GF Rinoa use to save herself or something like that later, but no, it's Ultimecia's GF, the place of the promise at the same location of Ultimecia's Castle, the whole CG at the end where Ultimecia is juxtaposed on Rinoa many times, White Wing-Black Wing, what were they thinking ? By the way, the whole ending was so creepy wow.

Now I have a question because i'm confused, Ultimecia is stuck in a loop or not ? She follow Squall in his safe place and Edea received the powers of Ultimecia again and since they didn't prevent her to be born or something like that she still going to destroy everything until the point Squall party kill her in the future right ?

Overall i really like this game, a little more than VII but the combat are weaker, it's just too easy to break to game without even trying.

Now i'm ready for FFIX remaster !

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally beat it, the last time I finished it was around 20 years ago and i didn't remember of thing!

Oh boy, now I understand why people said Rinoa = Ultimecia, I don't know why Square put so many hints at this. The whole set up with the Chronos ring when you name it, I thought it was going to be a GF Rinoa use to save herself or something like that later, but no, it's Ultimecia's GF, the place of the promise at the same location of Ultimecia's Castle, the whole CG at the end where Ultimecia is juxtaposed on Rinoa many times, White Wing-Black Wing, what were they thinking ? By the way, the whole ending was so creepy wow.

Now I have a question because i'm confused, Ultimecia is stuck in a loop or not ? She follow Squall in his safe place and Edea received the powers of Ultimecia again and since they didn't prevent her to be born or something like that she still going to destroy everything until the point Squall party kill her in the future right ?

Overall i really like this game, a little more than VII but the combat are weaker, it's just too easy to break to game without even trying.

In FFVIII time is linear and unchangeable, so basically Ultimecia is doomed to always compress time, fight Squall, and die passing her powers to Edea which eventually leads to her possession and kickstarting the whole plot.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Started this again last night. After finishing VIIR I wanna go back to older FFs and actually finish them this time. Of the PS1 games VII is the only one I beat back when I was a kid (and also replayed several times). I remember loving VIII back then and it was along with VII at the top of my list of favorite games and might still be actually because so far it's been just as great as I remember.

Anyway, I was at the beginning of disc 2 when I started and now at the end of it. Feels like everything is passing by in a rapid speed but I only use 3X for world map, draw farming or simple enemies. Game feels fresh because I barely remember what happened. Not sure how I feel about combat, as Patazord mentioned it's pretty broken. Very mixed. Everything else I really love though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you use the Scan spell on Chronos (Griever in the English version), the description says that Ultimecia pulled the creature out of Squall's mind because in Squall's mind it is the most powerful Guardian Force

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I bought this ages ago and after the ifrit fight I was already bored of the combat due to the draw mechanic.
It feels like it's more important to draw magic than actually defeat the enemies. Is that the case?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this ages ago and after the ifrit fight I was already bored of the combat due to the draw mechanic.
It feels like it's more important to draw magic than actually defeat the enemies. Is that the case?
Nope. You can even play the game without needing to draw a single magic spell, thanks to the card game mechanic.

Oct 31, 2017
Ok the QoL changes are a godsend

I finally managed to acquire Diabolos

And I've finally got the Card mod. I think I have some good cards now; Ifrit, Diabolos, Tonberry, T-Rex, and a few others.

But where should I start playing cards? The Quistis groupies or whatever in the classroom?

Oct 31, 2017

I have actually never even done this until this playthrough....

But you can gain some extremely useful abilities from GFs that'll allow you to extract powerful magic from your items, which you could obviously then junction.