• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I am wondering is there a way to go immediately back to the title screen for this collection (to select a different game) for Switch (like a soft reset)?

I'm surprised that no one has answered this question yet (I have the Japanese version of it, BTW).
There is, yes. Hold down L, R, Plus, and Minus at the same time to go right back to the game selection screen.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish there was a way to skip cutscenes. I died at Lady Yunalesca twice. Auron's badass speach notwithstanding, that's a pretty annoying time penalty for dying.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
All on Switch, I've gone from FFIX (beating it for the first time) to FFVII (beating it for the first time since 1997) to FFXII (beating it for the first time, having it my second favorite numbered FF) to now FFX.

I really should've played it before XII.

I had started it on Vita in Japanese a few years back, and am playing it in English now. The voice acting is amazingly bad. I guess a relic of that era of PS2 games? It's grown on me, but every now and then it really blows my mind. I don't remember finding the Japanese bad, but maybe I don't have the ability to judge it well enough.

The UI just seems so much worse than FFXII's, especially in terms of aesthetic beauty.

I'm still relatively close to the beginning (just left Luca), and one question I have is I want to advance on the Sphere Grid, but there is one type of sphere I don't seem to have any of. A speed sphere I think? Does this happen to everyone? Do people just skip these ones and keep on moving?

I'm determined to finish it this time, and finally know the full story of Sin and Spira, etc., but it is not as enjoyable as the past three ones I have done were.

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still relatively close to the beginning (just left Luca), and one question I have is I want to advance on the Sphere Grid, but there is one type of sphere I don't seem to have any of. A speed sphere I think? Does this happen to everyone? Do people just skip these ones and keep on moving?
If I understand you correctly, I had the same problem the first time I played but with ability spheres. I think Yuna has a skill you can use during fights to get basic types of spheres.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
If I understand you correctly, I had the same problem the first time I played but with ability spheres. I think Yuna has a skill you can use during fights to get basic types of spheres.

Thanks for the reply. The solution was really dumb.

I had a luck sphere and it only shows you four spheres at a time in the menu. I just had to scroll down and I had tons of the spheres.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm still relatively close to the beginning (just left Luca), and one question I have is I want to advance on the Sphere Grid, but there is one type of sphere I don't seem to have any of. A speed sphere I think?
Probably not. The game usually showers you in Strength, Magic, and Speed spheres after regular battles, so just fight some more if you somehow need them. The more usual culprits are Ability Spheres, which drop slightly more rarely. For those, Wakka can learn Extract Ability early on*, which makes enemies drop Ability spheres in place of their normal ones. Tidus can also similarly learn Extract Speed, in case you really do need those.

There's also Fortune Spheres, which you'll usually only get a few of (through treasure chests) until very late in the game. Don't worry about using those for now; wait until you can customize the grid and make +4 Luck nodes. It will save you a bit of grinding later on.

EDIT: never mind, was just a moment too late :P

_______
* (unless you're using the Expert Sphere Grid, in which case anyone can learn it early)

Last edited:

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!!

I used the luck sphere and now I can't activate it. Do I need another luck sphere to do so? It seems wasteful to move on until I've activated it.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Thanks!!

I used the luck sphere and now I can't activate it. Do I need another luck sphere to do so? It seems wasteful to move on until I've activated it.
You need Fortune Spheres to activate Luck nodes, like the one you just made. You might not get one for a while (I honestly forget where the first one is). It's okay to skip over them for now.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the advice. I just crossed a river.

I have lots of Ability spheres due to Wakka.

The amount of this Ochu enemy in this last area was quite amazing. Perhaps due to not having Fira yet, the battle takes a good 4-5 minutes, and it was a random encounter every 5-10 seconds or so. I eventually just ran away from most of them.

It seems the game sometimes gives you these random enemies with substantially more HP.

Weird question: I haven't paid attention to equipment yet, at all. This is a first in a JRPG for me. There doesn't seem to be stats attached to them?

I've gotten used to the early PS2 era voice acting, and almost find it endearing now, especially Yuna.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of this Ochu enemy in this last area was quite amazing. Perhaps due to not having Fira yet, the battle takes a good 4-5 minutes, and it was a random encounter every 5-10 seconds or so. I eventually just ran away from most of them.

It seems the game sometimes gives you these random enemies with substantially more HP.

Most random encounters have basic enemies that are designed to be defeated by a certain character. For example, if you see a Flan or Elemental, use Lulu. However, each area also has some "special" encounters that are designed to be a little more difficult.

They kind of touch on this during the Besaid tutorials where they teach you how to summon Valefor and use Wakka's Dark Attack. (For example, the Ochu is vulnerable to Sleep!)

Weird question: I haven't paid attention to equipment yet, at all. This is a first in a JRPG for me. There doesn't seem to be stats attached to them?

Different equipment can have different passive bonuses. For a very basic example, weapons can add a status-effect or element to your physical attacks while armor can add status or element resistances for your character. There are a huge amount of these, which a lot of different effects. Stat wise, there are passives that give you additional HP and MP or increase the damage you do with physical attacks or magic.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Most random encounters have basic enemies that are designed to be defeated by a certain character. For example, if you see a Flan or Elemental, use Lulu. However, each area also has some "special" encounters that are designed to be a little more difficult.

They kind of touch on this during the Besaid tutorials where they teach you how to summon Valefor and use Wakka's Dark Attack. (For example, the Ochu is vulnerable to Sleep!)

Thanks! So I guess I need to find their status vulnerabilities when I go at them.

I have only really used summons effectively against bosses, and that is only summoning when Yuna is in overdrive, and then using their overdrive and dismissing them. They seem to die quite soon if I leave them out to do norma attacks. I could be missing something very simple and obvious though.

Thanks as well about weapons. Will be looking closely at the next weapon shop I go to.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

Don't forget to use poison if you have it (Lulu's Bio spell or a Poisontouch/Poisonstrike weapon works great). Poison works great because it takes off a percentage of the target's max HP per turn, and Ochus are pretty big damage sponges.

You can also use a Stonetouch/Stonestrike weapon against them to huge effect. If Stone procs on an Ochu, they'll instantly shatter, and that's the end of the battle. Wakka's T.K.O. weapon (sold by O'aka before Operation Mi'ihen) is a popular favorite, but you can also farm for them by killing Basilisk-type enemies (you can find some on the Djose Highroad).

There are no stats attached to weapons per se, but there are modifiers that affect stats; for example, Strength +5%. That makes it so that weapons are useful throughout the entire game. Very soon in your playthrough you'll get the ability to customize weapons and add modifiers of your own, provided the weapon has an empty slot (and you have the materials).

I've gotten used to the early PS2 era voice acting, and almost find it endearing now, especially Yuna.
People really rib on FFX's voice acting these days, but it was actually a pretty decent job by early 2000's standards. What little VA there was back then tended to be, uh...not great.

I have only really used summons effectively against bosses, and that is only summoning when Yuna is in overdrive, and then using their overdrive and dismissing them. They seem to die quite soon if I leave them out to do norma attacks. I could be missing something very simple and obvious though.
The aeons all get stronger as Yuna does, so be sure to level her up a bit if they're getting KOd too much in regular battles. You'll be able to teach them additional moves later on as well, which will definitely help increase their survivability.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to the desert.

Properly using buffs and Yuna's nul spells has been helpful. I wonder if I did back in 2002 when I first tried to play it.

At first I didn't really enjoy the game, but I think the change from XII to X was just quite extreme.

I'm quite enjoying all aspects of it now. I have yet to really play blitzball, and I am unsure if I will, but I like that it's always there.

I may have mentioned, but the one thing I'm using a walkthrough for is the Al Bhed dictionary stuff. I don't have the time or interest to scour the world for them, and they're fun to actually have.

About 15 hours in, and I guess I can see myself happily enjoying this for another 15-20.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Properly using buffs and Yuna's nul spells has been helpful. I wonder if I did back in 2002 when I first tried to play it.
Both Yuna's Nul- spells and gear with [SOS Nul_____ ] are great to have. The latter appears very frequently on armor and it makes you immune to the specified element if you have yellow (less than half) HP. It works wonders in certain areas when you're facing a ton of one element and MP is at a premium.

I have yet to really play blitzball, and I am unsure if I will, but I like that it's always there.
It's a great diversion from time to time. The infamous mandatory game early on turns a lot of people off the experience, as it's overly reliant on both good RNG and narrow-window timing of Tidus/Wakka's shot skills (and the reset of the Aurochs are pretty terrible), but Blitzball actually gets really fun once you can actually get a decent team together.

I may have mentioned, but the one thing I'm using a walkthrough for is the Al Bhed dictionary stuff. I don't have the time or interest to scour the world for them, and they're fun to actually have.
Pretty good idea, actually. If you're still in the desert, you're coming up on a trio of missable ones.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good idea, actually. If you're still in the desert, you're coming up on a trio of missable ones.

Yeah, the guide said there were three there and one in the next area. I got them all. I had also missed two, so I went on an old file, got them and linked up the data. Think there are about 4 more?

In the sewers now. Will probably continue to play for a few hours today.

I've given Yuna and Kimahri high black magic spells. Seems black magic is crucial in this game (funny to come from FFXII where I never even used black magic).

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a mountain in a hard battle. This is where I gave up on the game in 2002. I'm confident I can beat him this time, but it's going to take some honing of strategy. Before he casts reflect, I have Yuna taking 7,000 damage a turn, and she can do 14,000 damage summoning in overdrive.

Shitty there's a cutscene right before the battle.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm on a mountain in a hard battle. This is where I gave up on the game in 2002. I'm confident I can beat him this time, but it's going to take some honing of strategy. Before he casts reflect, I have Yuna taking 7,000 damage a turn, and she can do 14,000 damage summoning in overdrive.

I know the boss you're talking about. It's an infamously difficult one for that part of the game - ditto for the next few big fights as well.

Some tips: use Poison on him. Lulu probably knows Bio at this point; if she doesn't, or if the boss already has Reflect up, have Rikku throw a Poison Fang (you probably have at least one if you've ever stolen from Wasp-type enemies). Poison does 1,400 damage to him each turn, leaving your Overdrive-charged Aeons to do the rest. You can also throw a Silence Grenade to prevent him from using Dispel (and a few of his other moves). Rikku can steal Elixirs from him if you need some quick heals.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I know the boss you're talking about. It's an infamously difficult one for that part of the game - ditto for the next few big fights as well.

Some tips: use Poison on him. Lulu probably knows Bio at this point; if she doesn't, or if the boss already has Reflect up, have Rikku throw a Poison Fang (you probably have at least one if you've ever stolen from Wasp-type enemies). Poison does 1,400 damage to him each turn, leaving your Overdrive-charged Aeons to do the rest. You can also throw a Silence Grenade to prevent him from using Dispel (and a few of his other moves). Rikku can steal Elixirs from him if you need some quick heals.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I do have Bio, and will use it. I'm a little busy the next few days and want to set aside a few hours to have time to try and die a few times.

As I get more into the game, the more I enjoy the battle system.

Shame that the next few fights are also tough! I feel that this one boss is the mental hurdle though. Will be great to pass where I got to 17 years ago.

Jan 11, 2018
If you want to cheese it, just charge up the overdrives for every single one of your Aeons and unleash them on him one by one (maybe save the weakest one to use as a meat shield).

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to cheese it, just charge up the overdrives for every single one of your Aeons and unleash them on him one by one (maybe save the weakest one to use as a meat shield).

I think for me the challenge will be to beat the boss without any any grinding. If I get sick of it and wanting to just get past I may just do that though!

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at what I believe is called the endgame now.

The boss right before with it's stages seemed hard, but I beat it on my first try, so maybe not?

I'm not sure how I'll proceed just yet. I'll probably want another chunk of time set aside so I can go back to various locations and see what's up. I'm also going back and forth on using a guide to see all there is to see or not.

I really truly now see why the game is so beloved. Coming from XII I didn't get it, but now I can even see why people would not like XII or consider it having Final Fantasy charm. (I still love XII.)

I need one more level 4 key sphere for Ultima. I hope the spell doesn't let me down!

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The boss right before with it's stages seemed hard, but I beat it on my first try, so maybe not?
You mean Yunalesca? Congrats if so; very few players manage to win that fight on the first try.

I'm at what I believe is called the endgame now.
You're definitely nearing the end of the main storyline, if that's what you meant, though there's still a few more tricky dungeons/fights ahead.

I'm not sure how I'll proceed just yet. I'll probably want another chunk of time set aside so I can go back to various locations and see what's up. I'm also going back and forth on using a guide to see all there is to see or not.
If you haven't already, you may wish to go to the Monster Arena (Calm Lands, eastern side) and buy some Capture weapons. It's a clever way to do a bit more grinding while you revisit previous locations, and the arena manager gives some very generous rewards for doing so.

Definitely also look for the Omega Ruins; it's near the tip of a chain of islands on Spira's eastern coast. The enemies in there are very tough but rewarding. (Save often and always have someone with First Strike in your active party while in the Ruins; you'll see why, trust me.)

Jan 11, 2018
In my opinion, you should wrap up the main story before you attempt actual post-game content. You don't want to take a long break from the story just to grind for stuff (which will eventually make you OP and render the final dungeon a cakewalk, ie not fun). My advice is to go grab the three optional Aeons before entering the final dungeon, if you can. Two of them require you have gotten the Destruction Sphere treasure in each Cloister, and if you haven't there will be nasty surprises waiting for you in Besaid and Macalania should you have missed those two (the others you should be able to safely go back and complete). If however you did miss Besaid and Macalania... welp, save that for post-game because it's useless for you to even attempt revisiting those temples at this point. You should definitely try to get Yojimbo though! You'll learn some more of Lulu's backstory in the process.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
You mean Yunalesca? Congrats if so; very few players manage to win that fight on the first try.

That's the one! My strategy was cheapish, but I have Yuna with Fireaga and Doublecast, which after Mental Break takes 7,000 to 8,000 damage per turn. Besides that it was rotating characters to spread out their HP amount, so they die as zombies at different times.

I'm sure I got lucky as well.

The boss right before I died on about 5 times, but they were all quick deaths and the boss is right after a save point, so it was a really fun battle. I'm lucky I had some armor that nulled berserk.

I think I'll just explore the world a bit and then get back to the game itself. The Besaid thing killed me after I got further in the story without saving. Didn't see it coming at all.

I've now found the home of a road travelers who intertwined with Yuna. I never challenged her before, so I finally got some items I guess you're supposed to get at the very beginning! Weird seeing tutorials 28 hours in.

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

I kind of hope Final Fantasy XIII gets ported to Switch now.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm now at
Jecht
. Shame there's a huge huge before this.

I'm assuming the one time I died I wasn't buffing up enough.

The battle before was a weird one, but once I figured out the patterns, it was okay.

I really couldn't stand the battles in this area, as they took so long, so I ran away from most. I hope my characters aren't too weak now.

Jan 11, 2018
There are three bosses towards the end of the game that are likely to wipe the floor with new or unprepared players. That's one of them, and I think you can guess which the other two are. And they're all preceeded by lengthy cutscenes. It baffles me there is no option to skip cutscenes. Later games added a retry option, and I feel like this remaster could have used one. This, along with the lack of dual audio and inability to remove abilities from equipment is what keeps it from being a perfect remaster, imo.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
There are three bosses towards the end of the game that are likely to wipe the floor with new or unprepared players. That's one of them, and I think you can guess which the other two are. And they're all preceeded by lengthy cutscenes. It baffles me there is no option to skip cutscenes. Later games added a retry option, and I feel like this remaster could have used one. This, along with the lack of dual audio and inability to remove abilities from equipment is what keeps it from being a perfect remaster, imo.

It's my first time this far in the game. Other bosses were quite tough, but this bosses wiped out all my characters at full health with a physical attack.

My second try I focused more on buffs, but then managed to die in his first stage, which was easy my first time! I don't really want to retreat to the airship, but if a few more tries makes it seem too hard, I may see if an optional area is better for me right now.

I'm still enjoying myself, but after playing the amazing XII remaster, it's a shame this one gets a lot wrong.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Mt Gagazet?
That's when i bought the strategy guide on the original ps2 game, lol

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah, I was trying my best to not need spoiler tags when posting. Seemed too hard where I am right now.

I may go online and look for tips if I am stuck here for 3 or more days.
I'd just look up some tips on YouTube if it were me, it's not worth it if it's making the game unenjoyable.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
Spent the last week going all in to beat the game and it's still one of my favorites of all time. I only have a few more of the weapons to collect and then I might call it quits

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this on PC recently and I'm not really feeling it much to my surprise. It might just be my mood or the game just isn't for it. I've recently finished
Luca and am about to head out. If judging by the events it feels like the game is finally starting for real... is that a correct assumption? I'm not really sure why it's not clicking for me. I don't find the story or characters very engaging?

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I beat it. I didn't really do any extras. I tried some extra stuff, but it was much harder than the actual final area.

As soon as I got Ultima for my three spell characters, but end part was pretty easy.

Really enjoyed the game, but not sure if I want to dive deep into the extra stuff.

Looking forward to FFVIII coming out, and as I bought X-2 in this collection, contemplating playing it sometime too.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I beat it. I didn't really do any extras. I tried some extra stuff, but it was much harder than the actual final area.
Really enjoyed the game, but not sure if I want to dive deep into the extra stuff.
Yeah, FFX's endgame is a pretty steep grind. The arena bosses and the Dark Aeons are both far more challenging than the final storyline bosses. If you want to give it a go later on: start by going to the Omega Ruins - if you haven't already, use the airship's coordinate search X:70/Y:35, if I remember right. (Save often.)

, and as I bought X-2 in this collection, contemplating playing it sometime too.
You should! The game still gets a bad rap around here for the overly Charlie's Angels-ish story and presentation, but the job and battle systems are both top-tier, and the monster capturing/arena system is a fantastic addition.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, FFX's endgame is a pretty steep grind. The arena bosses and the Dark Aeons are both far more challenging than the final storyline bosses. If you want to give it a go later on: start by going to the Omega Ruins - if you haven't already, use the airship's coordinate search X:70/Y:35, if I remember right. (Save often.)

You should! The game still gets a bad rap around here for the overly Charlie's Angels-ish story and presentation, but the job and battle systems are both top-tier, and the monster capturing/arena system is a fantastic addition.

I had gone into the Omega Ruins a few times, but would die pretty easily. I think I'll be giving it a miss.

For X-2, I played the beginning this morning just to see what it is like (and watched Eternal Calm), and it seems like it could be fun! My expectations for it are not in line with a mainline Final Fantasy, so I think I will "put in on the shelf" for now, and get back to it in a few games.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Just beated the game.

53h

IMG_20190817_035815.jpg

Almost 20 years later, it remains ss one of the best games I ever played.

The HD graphics made the game looks impressive, even almost two decades later.

IMG_20190817_041415.jpg

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I think I shot myself in the foot near the end of the game, not sure if anyone could give me any tips.

I'm fighting Sin, who has the overdrive ability. The one that kills you automatically once it's full. I can't go level up because I already saved and don't think I can leave the airship... and I keep dying, barely doing any damage. The most I've gotten him down to is ~85,000

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Anyone have any strategy/tips for the
Braska Final Aeon fight? It's the last fight I believe in the game, I can't seem to figure out a good strategy for reducing his HP without his two side buddies from healing him and building up his OD

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Anyone have any strategy/tips for the
Braska Final Aeon fight? It's the last fight I believe in the game, I can't seem to figure out a good strategy for reducing his HP without his two side buddies from healing him and building up his OD
You should kill the companions first with AoE attacks and keep killing them every time they reappear. I think it gets much easier with even just one of them gone. Also use Power Break on him, and keep Mighty Guard up the whole fight. If you sense an OD coming, you could maybe summon the weaker aeons like Ifrit to take the fall.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So I've played this on my the PS2...PS3....also a bit on my PS4...but gonna quad-dip probably anyway. How do the ports of both of them stack up? Pretty good in portable mode? That's probably where I'll primarily play it on Switch.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
So I've played this on my the PS2...PS3....also a bit on my PS4...but gonna quad-dip probably anyway. How do the ports of both of them stack up? Pretty good in portable mode? That's probably where I'll primarily play it on Switch.
The Switch port is excellent in handheld mode. It's arguably better than docked because you can use the touchscreen to quick-heal your team, just like on the Vita version.

Get the Asia/Japanese physical version if you can, as it has both games on one card. It's in full English text/voice as well, if your Switch is set to the same.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So I started playing FFX. First time in like 5 years I've played it. Man it's great in portable mode. My favorite game of all time. I'm in heaven.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Man it's great in portable mode.
It really is. Back when X/X-2 HD were released on the PS3 and Vita, I initially thought "oh, PS3's definitely where I'll be spending most of my time with this", but I tried the Vita version and I very quickly found myself playing it everywhere. Suspend/resume and portability is a godsend for these sorts of games.