• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So far my only disappointment with FF X on Switch is the total lack of anisotropic filtering. It's extremely noticeable as textures look incredibly muddy. Otherwise it's great.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on Switch even after having owned on PS3 and PS4, and Vita.

It's as magical as ever! Got the JP version for my NA Switch and it plays in full english as a couple previous posters mentioned.

That clean JP box art is just outstanding. A real collectors item here.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just got the first Jecht sphere and now I can't decided if I should slog all the way back to Besaid or not before the Dark Aeons appear. Auron is definitely a party regular, but are his Overdrives worth all that travel?

Edit: Decided not to bother. But oof, that Wendigo boss was my first game over. Wasn't expecting to be hit like a truck. Got it second time through good use of blinding it and whatnot.

Last edited:

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Can someone with an Xbox One X post a screenshot so we can see what resolution it is?
Don't have an X myself, but watching direct footage of the XB1X version pretty much confirms it's native 4K, but with one big caveat: no antialiasing. It's super noticeable on things like the ends of Tidus's hair during that closeup shot, or the Zanarkand ruins in the distance:

967SoAx.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
So, can someone explain to me the differences between box arts? I ordered the Asian release but apparently there are two different versions from it and that's without counting the Japanese version.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't have an X myself, but watching direct footage of the XB1X version pretty much confirms it's native 4K, but with one big caveat: no antialiasing. It's super noticeable on things like the ends of Tidus's hair during that closeup shot, or the Zanarkand ruins in the distance:

967SoAx.jpg
except it's not X Enhanced
7502ae275064287ba7a907cebb622314415f8765

X1XE:False ; the game isn't enhanced for Xbox One X.
And from what I've seen by playing, I do think it's 1080p@30FPS.

There's no music glitch (the only glitch I've encountered so far is an existing one on PlayStation 2 - at Zanarkand you can hear Auron saying one sentence for no reason).

Game contains both dubbings. But to play with the JP dub, you've to set your console in JP, and then to play with JP text. If you set any other language, voices are in EN (and texts in the console language if supported, EN otherwise).

And the game contains both original and "arranged" soundtrack, and you can switch between them at any time in the game option menu.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
FFX is really a tremendous game but I think it's time we all collectively admit that the Cloisters puzzles suck. Trial and error garbage with tedious solutions and no proper design telegraphing whatsoever. Wish there was a way to skip them.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Played FF X only for a few hours on PS2 late (back in 2008) and must have quit at what might have been the first Cloister sphere puzzle. The disc loading times were long and you were always forced to play in 1-2h stretches because you had to find the next save point. Finish the game's 6-8 lackluster sphere puzzles (you have to find all hidden chambers too to get the best summon...) each in one go or forget about playing this one.

Fast forward to what feels like the 21st century. I love the Switch version - what a beautiful ride this game is so far, what a piece of art! Really missed out on something..

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
FFX is really a tremendous game but I think it's time we all collectively admit that the Cloisters puzzles suck. Trial and error garbage with tedious solutions and no proper design telegraphing whatsoever. Wish there was a way to skip them.

Absolutely. They kill the narrative's pacing every time. I'm just using a step-by-step guide for them to get them over with ASAP. There's such a thing as good puzzles in JRPGs, but the Cloisters are not among them.

I just got done with this segment, and plot urgency is just thrown away by the need to do the Cloister puzzle, albeit in rather hilarious fashion.

That and FFX's high encounter rate (and no QOL features in non-PC versions) are the most frustrating flaws. I'd love it if the Sphere Grid could be reset and Standard/Expert switched, too, but oh well — not every remaster can be FFXII's, I guess.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The fighting system and leveling system is quite fun though (especially when coming from other JRPGs, or VI, VII and IX), so I don't mind the random encounters too much.

Is there any item or ability that turns off random encounters?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
except it's not X Enhanced
It absolutely is, though? The video I linked shows the XB1X version in native 4K quite clearly. (Sometimes a little too clearly, given the game's lack of AA...)

Yeah. Macalania's trial in particular. I've probably done that cloister 20+ times and I still usually screw up the correct "order" in which to do things.

Is there any item later that turns off random encounters?
There is, yes, in both X and X-2. In X you can find No Encounters armor (from Ghosts/Wraiths, I believe) or craft it yourself. X-2 also has an accessory that speeds encounters up, for faster farming.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing FFX on my Switch and my first impression is that this isn't as good as I remembered; everything from the writing, to the graphics or even the combat.

Still enjoying it a lot though.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Macalania's trial in particular. I've probably done that cloister 20+ times and I still usually screw up the correct "order" in which to do things.

The worst part is that the pedestal reset thing is right beside the way out, and with FFX's erratic camera, you can accidentally run into it after finishing everything... and have to do it all over again to reform the bridge. (Happened to me, lol.)

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

The worst thing is that they don't make you aware of the point of no return in solving the puzzles. Solved it the short way? SORRY. You can always come back at the end of the game where the is a dark aeon sitting in front of the temple and have another go.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
This is my first time through (well, I played it a little before, but i'm further now than I ever got, just reached Home) and i've been using a guide for the Cloisters. Screw those things.

Deleted member 9857

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely is, though? The video I linked shows the XB1X version in native 4K quite clearly. (Sometimes a little too clearly, given the game's lack of AA...)

it absolutely is NOT

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/gaming/final-fantasy-x-remaster-xbox-one-x-support-3698864

Square-Enix themselves confirmed it's NOT enhanced so it is not 4K... no one else has even tried to claim it's 4K besides you, even in the X Enhanced thread they decided it was 1080p

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Encountered my first soft lock. Killed a sandworm with poison while Lulu was swallowed. Stuck on victory screen since it can't find her to pose (I assume).

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
it absolutely is NOT

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/gaming/final-fantasy-x-remaster-xbox-one-x-support-3698864

Square-Enix themselves confirmed it's NOT enhanced so it is not 4K... no one else has even tried to claim it's 4K besides you, even in the X Enhanced thread they decided it was 1080p
I'm guessing you don't have a 4K monitor and haven't seen this video, then. If you do have a 4K: fullscreen the video, set it to 2160p, and check the pixels.

(Or maybe we're both right. Maybe it runs in 4K on Xbox One S as well, in which case there is indeed no X enhancement...can anyone check that??)

Encountered my first soft lock. Killed a sandworm with poison while Lulu was swallowed. Stuck on victory screen since it can't find her to pose (I assume).
Which platform? If it's Switch, I hope they also fix X-2's victory screen running at half speed.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018

Video comparison for the Switch version. Unfortunately doesn't include any xbox versions. Looks like the Switch version is between PS3 and PS4. Textures look lower res than PS4, but a little bit higher than PS3. I'm not sure what's going on with the lighting/black levels though. PS3 and Switch seem to be the exact same in that regard, a bit washed out compared to PS4.

Deleted member 9857

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing you don't have a 4K monitor and haven't seen this video, then. If you do have a 4K: fullscreen the video, set it to 2160p, and check the pixels.

(Or maybe we're both right. Maybe it runs in 4K on Xbox One S as well, in which case there is indeed no X enhancement...can anyone check that??)

the guy himself says in the comments that the game itself isn't outputting in 4k & isn't enhanced

link

Oct 2, 2018
I might buy this on sale because I quite enjoy the combat in the FFX series. (I have it on PS4).

both great RPGs, when SE was still good at making JRPGs.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still utterly amazed that one of the most emotional moment of FF10 in Zanarkand is right after you go through a fucking tetromino puzzle that you have to do three times in a row and is complete trial and error.

Everytime I replay this game, I just end up baffled at everything. I play it ironically at this point

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Video comparison for the Switch version. Unfortunately doesn't include any xbox versions. Looks like the Switch version is between PS3 and PS4. Textures look lower res than PS4, but a little bit higher than PS3. I'm not sure what's going on with the lighting/black levels though. PS3 and Switch seem to be the exact same in that regard, a bit washed out compared to PS4.

Even in that screencap its depressing how they messed up Tidus's face from the ps2 version. Not sure why they felt the need to fuck around with his character model in particular.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up going with JPN version instead, the cover is gorgeous. Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on their import copies.

Even in that screencap its depressing how they messed up Tidus's face from the ps2 version. Not sure why they felt the need to fuck around with his character model in particular.

I'll never ever be over Yuna and Tidus' model changes, and the loss of that gorgeous nuanced facial animation. I'm so glad the FFXII character models and animation didn't suffer the same fate. (Thank god they fixed Vaan's abs, though, lol.)

Deleted member 9857

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just watch the video, that's definitely not 1080p. This isn't the first game that has Enhancements and isn't listed. The lack of AA is a shame but at least it is 4K. Will definitely pick it up now

read the comment...

No, that's the resolution of the video. I render my videos in 4K. This is what it would look like on a 4K TV. Technically everything coming out of an S or an X is 4K. Just mostly upscaled but it will still be the same final resolution. As for the video when I finish editing I can choose whatever resolution I want to render the video in. I could make it 360p if I wanted, even on a Native 4K game.

the game isn't 4k

mrmojo228

Dec 3, 2018
About at the end of this game and It's just as I remembered it. Good but flawed. Yes the cloister puzzles suck. Also, random encounter rate is too high and it is the blueprint for FF XIII's main problem of walk through corridor fighting random enemies, see cutscene, rinse and repeat with some bosses thrown in. I guess the change of pace is supposed to be the cloister puzzles but like I said they suck, and it's not enough of a change of pace. Still really enjoy it's battle system and story/characters.

But playing it so close to IX a month ago, the difference is stark. IX's pacing was tremendous compared to X with towns, side diversions, vignettes etc. to change up the pace.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I finished the game since I know it like the back of my hand, 20 hours. I never planned to play this game again but I thought I'd try the remaster since I always stuck to the PS2 version. It's still the same as ever, the game *works* but in spite of all its questionable design decisions. There's hardly anything in there that works in harmony, but at the end of the day the big picture comes out better than all the suffering you go through in the game.

A few things to share:

- It really cements how Uematsu's contributions to the soundtrack were mostly terrible save a select few, Hamauzu carried the game on his shoulders. However I gotta give it to Uematsu for the excellent "Movement in Green" track that crystallizes the whole game effectively. The battle theme from him is terrible though, and the arranged soundtrack doesn't do it any favors. It's headache-inducing and I agree with someone on the internet who said it was like the battle theme was made for promotional material but doesn't stand the test of time when going through it for 20 hours. Meanwhile Hamauzu did: Besaid, Thunder Plains, Gagazet, Wandering, the actually great battle theme : Challenge (against Yunalesca) and more. He cemented the sound motifs of this game and managed to put its touch of melancholy. Without him, the game wouldn't have worked half as well for my sensibilities.

- The story is painfully insulting to the audience. In hindsight it might be why it's remembered so fondly because it's hand-holdy as all hell and this game never misses a beat to create flashbacks of things you've already seen a few hours earlier so you never miss something, but damn it's just stupid and kills all the pacing. Not to mention how the game nosedives after the wedding arc, they torpedo seymour's character development to become a mustache-twirling villain, then he just becomes a boss rush by himself. I really lose all interest by then.

- The execution of cutscenes are all so bad. It's really filmed like an amateur movie by a band of teenagers, with only the CGI working well enough. I was ready to forgive this but then I remembered Vagrant Story released a year before and a generation apart so really they should have just hired the same guy who was cutscene director. Not to mention the insane amount of male gaze going into it, pretty much everytime Lulu speaks the camera assumes her mouth is situated on her breasts like come on, are you telling a story or no ?

- Rock paper scissors gameplay is really boring and the game does that for most of the game. Use X who is strong against Y, rinse, repeat. it's really as uninvolving as it can get, I never feel satisfied of what I'm doing. I gotta force myself to use characters like Rikku & Kimahri in order to break out of the mold and try something new. Also the game's balance is wack, if you want to fight stronger enemies you quickly come across monsters that have had their stats as if someone rolled their face on a numpad. So it becomes a stats arm race rather than a showcase of strategy.

- The input delay on the menus of the remaster are hell. Why did they do that ? You could select everything immediately just by mashing on the PS2 version.

- There isn't a mini-game worth saving in this game, blitzball manager and sphere break in 10-2 were infinitely more enjoyable. Didn't even attempt Blitzball & Thunder more than once this time.

I really have to abstract from a lot of flaws in order to enjoy this game. This game does 99 things wrong, but does 1 thing right enough to be somewhat enjoyable. I'd say the thing I enjoyed the most were just the moments where I would walk with few interruptions and great music, like Mi'ihen Highroad, or the road from Djose to Guadosalam. That's what the game does well, but XIII does it better if I want to actually walk through gorgeous environments, and it's all Hamauzu music so it's even more my thing.

I almost want to try 10-2 again and see if I really prefer this game now, but this is enough 10 for a few months I think.

Deleted member 9857

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

it also shows X Enhanced now on the US Store, odd since Square-Enix insists it's not

can anyone confirm if it shows as X Enhanced on the console now? maybe a patch got put out since shade put up that screenshot?

edit: also odd that XII, which we know is supposed to be X Enhanced, still doesn't show as such on the store

XII & not X shows on the list of X Enhanced games as well

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list?xr=shellnav

I wonder if someone updated the wrong store page?

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
So, all 3 Asian Switch versions have the two games in one cartridge and English voices+text? I can import any version without worrying?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Started playing FFX on my Switch and my first impression is that this isn't as good as I remembered; everything from the writing, to the graphics or even the combat.

Still enjoying it a lot though.
i never played X but was somewhat hyped for this release as i enjoyed XII HD a ton, however i watched some videos first and it looks really dated now,an incredible game for sure in its time, but maybe not a sure purchase as i thought at first, not for asking price.:^S oh well there is DD coming soon

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Game contains both dubbings. But to play with the JP dub, you've to set your console in JP, and then to play with JP text. If you set any other language, voices are in EN (and texts in the console language if supported, EN otherwise).

Lame. So what's the point of importing the collection unless it's to have both games on one cart?

I thought that I would be able to play the games in Japanese with English subtitles. There are other games/collections that did Dual Audio/Dual Language right without having to change the system's language to another language by having those options in the games/collections themselves.

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Played far too much this weekend. No idea how far I have left, but I am currently working my through some caves in a mountain which are said to lead to Zanarkand Ruins. Absolutely loving it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
FFX is confirmed to be 4k on the X and did not require a patch to be so.

The versions tested were 1.1.0.0 on Xbox One consoles and 1.00 on Switch. Switch footage is from docked mode.

Switch in Docked Mode renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080 and in Portable Mode renders at a native resolution of 1280x720. Xbox One renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080 and Xbox One X renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

The Xbox consoles use 4xMSAA and the Switch uses a form of post-process AA. Both forms of AA can miss some edges.

The Switch version has lower quality textures and texture filtering compared to the Xbox One consoles. There may be other graphical differences between the platforms, but these were the most immediately obvious ones.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Lame. So what's the point of importing the collection unless it's to have both games on one cart?
It's that. Lot of people's SD cards are filling up very quickly these days, and not having to download an extra ~12 GB is quite nice.

I thought that I would be able to play the games in Japanese with English subtitles. There are other games/collections that did Dual Audio/Dual Language right without having to change the system's language to another language by having those options in the games/collections themselves.
Yeah, this method does suck. I recommend the PC version (with mods) if you want to mix and match audio+text languages.