• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
FFXI hold the dearest spot in my heart... spent one of the best days of my life playing it, cannot wait to have it on the palm of my hands all the time :"-)

Jan 10, 2018
Control wise it's actually rather well suited for the mobile format. I'm still surprised though as I've always thought that FFXI was about to be a closed chapter for S-E.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Please release a standalone version for consoles. I want Final Fantasy XI to go mainline, instead of being the red-headed stepchild of the series.

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not interested if it's a mobile game only
Will try it if there was a Pc or console version

Oct 25, 2017
Vana'diel 2.0 is finally taking shape, it seems...

I'll play this on mobile if I have to, but I will jump on a Switch version day freakin' zero. Praying nexon doesn't screw this up, business model wise.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Man I need it. No other mmo has came close to the enjoyment I got out of XI

Still play on private servers.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
yjNOrLo.jpg

Man, I dunno why but the default White Mage outfit/colours across the whole FF series is so freaking cool.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey! Glad to see this is still chugging along.

Always worry this thing is laying in a ditch somewhere dead since news is so incredibly sparse.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Man I need it. No other mmo has came close to the enjoyment I got out of XI

Still play on private servers.
I've been looking for a replacement forever. Currently have Black Desert Online going in the background for the longest time while I fish.

On FFXI private servers I just hit a speed bump in my quest to take PUP up since I never played it in the main servers. Doing the automation head+body quests is not going to happen. Some servers have all items populated automatically, the one I'm on seem to only do it for certain items. A fully crafted Adaman Hauberk is on the AH but not Wamoura Cloth.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Vana'diel 2.0 is finally taking shape, it seems...

I'll play this on mobile if I have to, but I will jump on a Switch version day freakin' zero. Praying nexon doesn't screw this up, business model wise.

They have my sub money if it comes out for the Switch, that's for sure!

Does FFXI have Triple Triad?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Early last-gen I had a PS3, and my PC was way too weak to run XI. I genuinely considered buying a 360 just for easy access to this game.

Was there ever any official statement as to why a PS3 version never released? It seems like a no brainer.

Nov 2, 2017
Please come to something not mobile. I'd love to experience FFXI, and so hopefully this ends up including all of the story content. I have no qualms about playing archaic games, but it's just that playing XI now I feel would be too depressing, and too much has changed over time through the expansions. Playing an MMO this late it in its life is almost always a severely disjointed experience.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Early last-gen I had a PS3, and my PC was way too weak to run XI. I genuinely considered buying a 360 just for easy access to this game.

Was there ever any official statement as to why a PS3 version never released? It seems like a no brainer.
PS3's with backwards compatibility could play the PS2 version, and I guess by the time a lot more non hardware and software BC PS3's were out FFXIV was the main focus.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It falls in line with Sony not liking cross-platform multiplayer which Sony rarely comments on, especially back then.

Quadaess

Oct 27, 2017
Sevilla
Whaaat? I thought it's gonna be chibi.

Hopefully, it's gonna be true to the original version. No auto and all that bullshit.

Maybe you have mistaken this for Final Fantasy Grandmasters, another mobile game that takes place in FFXI's world and is indeed Chibi-style, that was released some years ago. It's just an spin-off, and not a new version of FFXI like this one is supposed to be.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It falls in line with Sony not liking cross-platform multiplayer which Sony rarely comments on, especially back then.
What the...

This was most definitely SE's decision. Why would they make a PS3 port when the PS2 version worked on all PS3's at the time via backwards compatibility? Both of my PS3s could play it and I bought them a decent amount of time apart. One fat hardware BC, and one fat PS3 software. When did the BC stop anyway? Slim?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
PS3, you could play FFXI on PS3 PS2 PC and Xbox 360.

FFXIV would have been in that list too if Microsoft didn't get cold feet, or if they still needed SE to make games on their system enough to let SE do what it wanted. FFXI on 360 felt like a get Final Fantasy on xbox at any cost moment. This is so far off topic though.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
BC doesn't count lol, BC is tied to the previous generation of consoles before Sony started setting in this anti cross-platform stance.
Yeah, like I said, FFXI PS3 was probably not even going to happen because the PS2 version was already on PS3. SE had no reason to port it, I think they even gave instructions on how to install it. Sony couldn't demand SE to port it or anything. Companies these days even use PSP versions of games or old nintendo console versions of games and emulate them on the newer consoles.

https://kotaku.com/ps4-parappa-is-running-on-a-psp-emulator-hackers-disco-1825958261

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, like I said, FFXI PS3 was probably not even going to happen because the PS2 version was already on PS3. SE had no reason to port it, I think they even gave instructions on how to install it. Sony couldn't demand SE to port it or anything. Companies these days even use PSP versions of games or old nintendo console versions of games and emulate them on the newer consoles.
PS3 BC was soon dropped and most of PS3's life was without PS2. In fact, finding a PS2 BC PS3 is a rare find because of how soon it was cut off.

So they went all those years with just PS2's despite PS3 being the latest hot thing and Xbox 360 getting the game whereas every FF game that ever came out was on both 360 and PS3. They very much had a reason to port it to the PS3 when the BC was dropped they just didn't for unknown unmentioned reasons, and that's very curious it would be unmentioned for all this time.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Bring back 24 hour cooldowns and sell items to make it speed up
Do you mean the spawn cooldowns? That would probably be a thing. They did have cooldowns after you did events like Limbus and Abyssea stone regeneration which allowed you to enter again. I remember quitting just so I could collect all of the abyssea stones when I came back. Gotta love games that encourage you to stop playing.

PS3 BC was soon dropped and most of PS3's life was without PS2. In fact, finding a PS2 BC PS3 is a rare find because of how soon it was cut off.

So they went all those years with just PS2's despite PS3 being the latest hot thing and Xbox 360 getting the game whereas every FF game that ever came out was on both 360 and PS3. They very much had a reason to port it to the PS3 when the BC was dropped they just didn't for unknown unmentioned reasons, and that's very curious it would be unmentioned for all this time.
Yeah, I brought that up. I wondered if it was just too late at the point a ton of non BC PS3's were on the market, enough to be a market to sell FFXI to. Then were they thinking, "well we have FFXIV coming for that market, we want them to focus on that (not A Realm Reborn version that came later)."

How long after a sizable market formed in non BC PS3's did they drop support for the PS2 version, which they would have most likely ported over to the PS3 remaster style? Is the 360 version still supported? I think I remember that version also being dropped. And once again, this was all on SE, they saved money. So many OT questions.

2006 PS3 launch
2009 PS3 slim (no BC version and onward, no more BC)
2010 FFXIV launch
2013 FFXIV A Realm Reborn

I think SE played an efficient hand of cards here. Can't blame them there, too bad FFXIV's launch was a disaster and they had to redo a ton of it, the birth of which was FFXIV A Realm Reborn. So much $$$ used to save FFXIV, money not spent needing to make PS3 FFXI, until Slim + users at least.

Last edited:

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know...The original game still looks pretty good and this was just released:

I hope we can start seeing more of what this mobile project actually is.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I will gladly pay a subscription fee if they preserve the soul of FFXI whilst giving it a massive QoL upgrade.

I'm curious to see how Nexon will handle itemization, combat, and the need for a player community. These are the pillars that are going to make or break this game as a true successor to the original.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm there for this day one if it's free or a one off purchase.

Don't know if I could justify a subscription, especially for mobile.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It would have to be amazing gameplay wise, have true BST <3 controls/gear/awesomeness, and the other jobs I like for me to sub to it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
XI is my home.

Tried XIV, just not the same.

I love XI.
The PC XI is still fine and pretty in 4K. Yeah, muddy textures etc, but the graphic and world design is timeless.

The music is equisite.

Vana'diel forever.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
So if it goes up to CoP is it level 75 cap?

FF11 is my favorite game ever, but I absolutely hate FF14. I guess I'm just wondering if this is going to be FF11 with the easy mode mechanics for the FF14 players, or if it's going to be a legit port of FF11 CoP era (ToAU would be better).

The mobile controls also concern me. Makes me think this can't be a real port of FF11 given how that game played (even on controller).

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
I'm surprised to see something come of this. I thought they might've just scrapped it after hearing nothing for so long.

FFXI definitely holds a special place in my heart, countless memories. Only just recently quit this past November, too. I wonder if it does well enough if they'll go to further expansions.

Oct 26, 2017
Did the Elvaan have the long lanky necks/bodies that FFXIV Elezen have?

The Elvaan in that shot looks really good compared to what we have in XIV.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This time sink is [Impossible to gauge]. I can't go through that ordeal again. It wouldn't be good for my life.

Now, give me a new mainline Final Fantasy set in Vana'diel without it being an MMO and with a good gameplay, and I'm in.

If you haven't played in a long while, they've made quite a few QoL improvements over the years. It's still a great big black hole of a time sink, make no mistake, but it's better. Kinda.

The most important thing, though, remains untouched. PlayOnline Viewer is still very much there and is just as big of a pain as it was back in like 2005, haha.

Also check out this 1-119 guide, which captures all the changes since the old 75 days, but is mostly a guide for people starting fresh.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide

Last edited:

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why, if this is a reimagining of the game, they didn't use the opportunity to build an offline singleplayer version of the game for consoles. Surely I am not the only person who wants that.

Oh well. Perhaps after the mobile version.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why, if this is a reimagining of the game, they didn't use the opportunity to build an offline singleplayer version of the game for consoles. Surely I am not the only person who wants that.

Oh well. Perhaps after the mobile version.

I always hoped they would do this. Maybe someday after the online servers shut off?

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, I had no idea this was in development. If it ends up being F2P, I'm all in. I played a lot of the original on my PS2, with a 56k connection. Lol.