• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why, if this is a reimagining of the game, they didn't use the opportunity to build an offline singleplayer version of the game for consoles. Surely I am not the only person who wants that.

Oh well. Perhaps after the mobile version.
have you seen the amount of money mobile MMOs make? because that's the reason. SE isn't even making the game here, they licensed it out

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Some of my best gaming memories. Sometimes you would spend hours, maybe even days looking for a pty to lvl up lol. Can't play this nowadays though, as I wouldn't have the time for it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
If I could cross-play between my iPhone, iPad, and Switch depending on my circumstances, this could definitely get my attention, big time.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Wow it looks a lot better than what i expected and more faithful to the original, still im pretty sure the gameplay will be totally different and more similar to FFXIV and other modern MMOs...meaning no more de-leveling, waiting 24 hours to continue quests, limit breaks and all the other outdated stuff FFXI had. I will be glad if they just stick to the same lore/story, jobs, zones and music.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Final Fantasy XI was extremely special. XIV hasn't lived up to it for me.

Mobile version is looking great.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I play all the mobile (android) games I am ever interested in on PC with emulator. If they put it on mobile they may as well put it on PC. They are different games anyway. People will probably have them both running at the same time.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Screenshots look really good, but I completely expect this to be one of those horizontal-screen, two hand (virtual joystick on the left, multiple buttons on the right) mobile mmos, which are all the rage nowadays.
I wouldn't mind it, but I just can't get over how badly they control, so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'm interested. Seriously hope this turns out well... and comes out soon! Completely forgot about this project. Heck even a repackaged/updated "final release" of XI would get my attention.

Kaldea

Oct 27, 2017
Day one if it comes to Switch. I miss this game so much.

If only there was a single player version I could selfishly hog all to myself.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think I really need a single player option of FFXI that will live forever.
Most of the game in its current PC state is quite doable single player. Because it's a lot easier/faster to level up, they took off many of the level-limits on dungeons, and they added some collectible AI-controlled party members. So it's quite easy to be overpowered enough to do, like, Chains of Promathia by yourself.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Haven't heard about this in a while, but I'm super excited! This will be a lovely thing to get addicted to while using the exercise bike each day :D

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
The fact that this doesn't look like a knockoff of the current mobile MMOs (Looking at you Dragon Nest M, Flyff Mobile, Lineage) makes me excited.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's not like some other mobile mmos where the game basically plays itself.
I fail to see how it's possible to even emulate the 'change 12-13 pieces of equipment every button press' gameplay of XI without extreme amounts of mechanical and UI streamlining.
At least it's more of the story of vana'diel, which is XI's strongest suit.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A rather large portion of my young adult life is based around FFXI. I'm really looking forward to this game!

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Did the Elvaan have the long lanky necks/bodies that FFXIV Elezen have?

The Elvaan in that shot looks really good compared to what we have in XIV.

Elvaans were worse in 11 compared to 14. That Elvaan in the OP is a huge upgrade.
latest

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not sure I'd play this much on mobile due to battery drain, controls and my budget mid range phone, but it would be an absolute no brainer on Switch. Still, I'd try it out nonetheless.

Game's looking... Pretty great, actually. With the higher resolution and more modern rendering techniques it really doesn't look that old at all. Looking forward to it as I never played the original.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

14 will never be as special as 11 due to the era of mmos 11 came out in and it's utter uniqueness, but 14 is an absolutely fantastic game from top to bottom. If you haven't played in a while it's worth to check out.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this is going to be a travesty but I'm so desperate to play XI again. I'm so against mobile games but this is the exception. Seeing those screenshots brings back so many memories, somebody hold me.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I'll keep my expectations in check, I want this to be good but it's going to be extremely hard to pull it off.

I want to go back to Vana'Diel once again.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Brave EXVIUS so if this had that model of events and micro transactions that'd be fine with me.

The crucial thing for me is no stamina! I don't want to be limited in how much I can play.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why, if this is a reimagining of the game, they didn't use the opportunity to build an offline singleplayer version of the game for consoles. Surely I am not the only person who wants that.

Oh well. Perhaps after the mobile version.

I think a lot of classic (75 cap) FF11 fans would riot over a single player version coming to consoles while the MMO aspect was left on mobile.

14 will never be as special as 11 due to the era of mmos 11 came out in and it's utter uniqueness, but 14 is an absolutely fantastic game from top to bottom. If you haven't played in a while it's worth to check out.

For many FF11 fans, 14 is lacking in terms of depth and strategy. It's a game designed for the modern gamer who can't be bothered with intricate battle systems or grinding for anything outside of weekly tokens of some sort.

As a hardcore fan of 11 (75 cap) I absolutely cannot stand 14, but I'm also not a modern gamer.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much about FFXIV that I don't like especially compared to FFXI.

Tame world, all the dangerous heart pounding threats seemed to be limited to it's instanced dungeons. Yesterday in FFXI, I was simply making my way to North Gustaberg (S) . as a 60 Dancer with spectral jig, even though I was able to stay hidden, I still felt tense because I knew true sound enemies had to be in Pashaw Marshlands (S). Sure enough my memory was correct, and the website I looked at that had no mention of a true sight or true hearing enemy. Now Lv. 59, you can't easily escape enemies like FFXIV. Maybe they changed that, even still, so much in the open world was also at or slightly above max level when I played. Easy to kill if for some reason you had to fight. It feels like Metal Gear Solid navigating enemies aggro bubbles and cones (I give my life. Not for honor, but for youuuuuu ), and it feels good when you avoid it all like a boss. It like a game in and of itself.

The fighting felt like mindless muscle memory button press sequences, with the constant rotation of skills, and some classes back and forth positioning. The enemy does something that cause your rotation to mess up, or timed buff to wear off making you start over (MNK). Felt tedious.

Then there's the itemization, so boring, constantly replaced, it seemed like a endless ladder. I never really felt good about getting gear because the stats weren't interesting (usually a few extra main stat, and supporting stats), and... it's gone southpark.gif.

hashtagrekt

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of classic (75 cap) FF11 fans would riot over a single player version coming to consoles while the MMO aspect was left on mobile.

For many FF11 fans, 14 is lacking in terms of depth and strategy. It's a game designed for the modern gamer who can't be bothered with intricate battle systems or grinding for anything outside of weekly tokens of some sort.

As a hardcore fan of 11 (75 cap) I absolutely cannot stand 14, but I'm also not a modern gamer.
Don't disagree with you as I was molded by EQ/Asheron's/11 as well, but the WoW style of MMO is not completely devoid of depth. FF14 has complex and deep systems, especially the gathering/crafting/melding. The end game high choreography is also much better, but no, player battle system isn't on the level of.. http://ffxisimple.ytmnd.com/ (turn volume down).

I'm not a "modern" gamer either but I enjoy mobile gacha games, watching streamers, and FF14. You can be old school and enjoy the new stuff too.

There's so much about FFXIV that I don't like especially compared to FFXI.

Tame world, all the dangerous heart pounding threats seemed to be limited to it's instanced dungeons. Yesterday in FFXI, I was simply making my way to North Gustaberg (S) . as a 60 Dancer with spectral jig, even though I was able to stay hidden, I still felt tense because I knew true sound enemies had to be in Pashaw Marshlands (S). Sure enough my memory was correct, and the website I looked at that had no mention of a true sight or true hearing enemy. Now Lv. 59, you can't easily escape enemies like FFXIV. Maybe they changed that, even still, so much in the open world was also at or slightly above max level when I played. Easy to kill if for some reason you had to fight. It feels like Metal Gear Solid navigating enemies aggro bubbles and cones (I give my life. Not for honor, but for youuuuuu ), and it feels good when you avoid it all like a boss. It like a game in and of itself.

The fighting felt like mindless muscle memory button press sequences, with the constant rotation of skills, and some classes back and forth positioning. The enemy does something that cause your rotation to mess up, or timed buff to wear off making you start over (MNK). Felt tedious.

Then there's the itemization, so boring, constantly replaced, it seemed like a endless ladder. I never really felt good about getting gear because the stats weren't interesting (usually a few extra main stat, and supporting stats), and... it's gone southpark.gif.

The 11 overworld design just doesn't exist anymore. No game has it so that at level 10 in La Theine, the zone next to your starter zone, a single, random crab can kill you. Again, that's design from a different time. I agree, it was an experience at the time, but from a perspective of evolving the genre, it's as antiquated as corpse runs in WoW (a "modern" game).

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
To me it seemed that one of the downsides to the open world being harmless was that there wasn't much out there that was valuable to collect from dangerous, rarely traveled zones like Ifrit's Cauldron (<3 IC). The most I did in FFXIV was speed kill Apkallu for it's eggs which were pretty cheap, but trying to kill them so fast to have the spot to myself felt like old FFXI rare drop mob farming days.

Aion had a similar feeling to FFXI's world too. I think all of it's enemies have a aggro radius instead of a particular combination of vision cone and sound radius.

RashBandicoot

Nov 3, 2017
I really hope they eventually port this to PC. I tried playing FF XI a few weeks ago and boy, that game is painfully slow. A munch needed QOL update or remake is in desperately needed.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, I hope this comes to PC/Console later. Controls/performance on my tablet are probably terrible.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
So will we have to start all over or will we be able to use our existing FFXI characters if we have them? When I quit FFXI for good, my character was a 76RDM/66NIN/63BST. Would love to use it in this version too.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The only question mark for me here is the business model - with Nexeon involved, I expect multiple currencies and nonsense.

Hopefully SE reigns them in, or offers a sub model to circumvent all that mobile BS.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So will we have to start all over or will we be able to use our existing FFXI characters if we have them? When I quit FFXI for good, my character was a 76RDM/66NIN/63BST. Would love to use it in this version too.
Definitely not I'm afraid. Also I expect this to be a wholly different game that shares the same world, story and characters, so prepare yourself for that.

To be fair half of FFXIs charm is it's story so I'm excited, but if you go into this expecting something anything like the original you will be disappointed.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

Sure it was one of the few MMORPG that feel like it was a MMO.... everybody need everybody to get better and advance into the game... This is not the case anymore with MMORPG, in XIV you can solo 90% of the content, this is not a MMO anymore for me. What make XI so great was the journey to get to the end, not the final and after final(what we call end-game).

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Wow I forgot this was a thing but kinda happy to see it. First pic barely looks like anything I recognize, wonder how much areas will be changed outside of looking prettier.

I'd expect the dungeons to change a lot - navigating them in the original could be a tense game of stealth that I don't really see working on mobile during a bus ride...

No Puppetmaster, no play. :(

I'd be surprised if this mobile version was handling the mechanical groundwork and controls to make PUP possible - anf to get there, it'd have to evolve beyond Chains of Promathia too...

It looks absolutely lovely. I hope the entire story is intact.

Apparently their hiring people for work on quests and dialog, so I wonder if that'll involve adding story content to what's already in XI, or replacing it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comme...e_what_ffxi_mobile_is_probably_gonna/dyxfoho/
There are a lot of subtly interconnected stories throughout the game, and I'd hate to see some of that lost due to new writers lacking the background in both the big and small stories across the game...

For instance, what becomes of the original game when they inevitably shut down the servers (sometime) in the future. Are SE really going to let a mainline FF be lost to time?

They apparently remade III in 3D due to losing the source code for the NES original, and there's no legitimate way to play through the story of XIV 1.0 (that one would be a good candidate for a single-player remake as a prequel to the current online game - it had some good stories and dialog, despite other issues that could tweak for such an adaptation).

Control wise it's actually rather well suited for the mobile format. I'm still surprised though as I've always thought that FFXI was about to be a closed chapter for S-E.

Optimal management of abilities, spells and gear probably can't be done justice with a mobile interface, although you can faceroll a lot of older content with a high enough level nowadays.

I was thinking of the slow nature of the combat with a rather small amount of abilities that are easy to trigger. The interface is also very minimalistic.

Some jobs like beastmaster, summoner, puppetmaster, scholar or geomancer require at least somewhat fine-tuned contrls, as they don't really get by with auto-attacking, for example.

I could imagine jobs jobs getting their use somewhat streamlined, like setting blackmages or bard to always use the highest tiers of their spells when possible, but at their finest there's more to them than sticking to that.

Man I need it. No other mmo has came close to the enjoyment I got out of XI

Still play on private servers.

I'm not fond of private servers since they detract from the original, but I do wonder, if the mobile versions ends up being F2P, to which extent they might decline in use...

It would have to be amazing gameplay wise, have true BST <3 controls/gear/awesomeness, and the other jobs I like for me to sub to it.

IMO the true test of mechaniical and systems competent is getting XI's blue mage implementation right, since it makes full use both of the kind of elemental mechanics relevant to mages, skillchains relevant to melee, and creature affinities relevant to beastmaster, with its own specific systems on top of it all.

Seriously, you could build a whole standalone game based on the way XI's blue mage works - and I wonder if Nexon will be able to cover that much as part of a broader game... or at least have the systems in place to enable that, since blue mage only becomes available in the Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion, which follows Chains of Promathia...

Did the Elvaan have the long lanky necks/bodies that FFXIV Elezen have?

The Elvaan in that shot looks really good compared to what we have in XIV.

Yep:

It's what I hope the most - it could retain its mechanics and landscape in a way that I doubt mobile can, while streamlining a handful of old constraints regarding the division by expansions and stuff that wasn't implemented early on, like combat data for important NPCs.

Some major beats of XI's story work as analogies to its online nature, but they wouldn't necessarily lose impact from being adapted to a more persistent single-player medium.

Don't expect character transfers, this is a completely new implementation by a different company.

At most I could expect some sort of bonus or discount for people who already have a Square Enix account associated with the current XI.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is going to be all menu based (with buttons like "go on a quest," etc) and what we're seeing are just stills from cutscenes. All of those images look like cutscenes, except for the last one which has something like that looks like a combat effect from an ability from the Galka on the right.

I hope its good. I want no game more than I want a remastered XI or a classic XI server (with an active player base). I'm sure this won't be the same thing; it would be difficult to make combat based around 20 macros work on such a small screen. I'm just hoping for something that tries to scratch that same old itch.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Looks really nice for a mobile title, very unfortunate Nexon is making this since they are pretty much only known for p2w cash-grabs as far as i know and the mobile market with a ip like this is like a license to print money for them so i highly doubt they will hold back.

Tiopes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at the Switch port begging here. Can't wait to play this on my Vita, as Vita had a lot of mobile ports too!

Anyway, I want to try this. Never played FFXI.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
lol at the Switch port begging here. Can't wait to play this on my Vita, as Vita had a lot of mobile ports too!

Anyway, I want to try this. Never played FFXI.

Sure, they could do a Switch port, the Switch has more power than many mobile phones, be able to play the game fullscreen on TV would be awesome ^-^

Jan 11, 2018
Sure, they could do a Switch port, the Switch has more power than many mobile phones, be able to play the game fullscreen on TV would be awesome ^-^

And every other platform in turn has more power than the Switch, so by that logic they should port it to everything (which would be a good idea, but that's beside the point).

Depending on how demanding it is on mobiles, I can see them port it to let's say Steam - like they did with Mobius. They're obviously not going to see much of a profit if most people can't run the game.

But speaking of porting it to "everything" - do we know if it'll work like an MMO (in which case cross-platform play would be beneficial)? Or do you play through the whole thing with AI? There will come a day when the servers for the original title are shut down, so it would be nice if they could preserve the adventure and rework it into more of a traditional experience even if that meant an AI simulated MMO experience.