• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting a long ass time for this, and I'm still ready day one! This looks really good!

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
And every other platform in turn has more power than the Switch, so by that logic they should port it to everything (which would be a good idea, but that's beside the point).

Depending on how demanding it is on mobiles, I can see them port it to let's say Steam - like they did with Mobius. They're obviously not going to see much of a profit if most people can't run the game.

But speaking of porting it to "everything" - do we know if it'll work like an MMO (in which case cross-platform play would be beneficial)? Or do you play through the whole thing with AI? There will come a day when the servers for the original title are shut down, so it would be nice if they could preserve the adventure and rework it into more of a traditional experience even if that meant an AI simulated MMO experience.

As a mobile version, perhaps it will be more casual on many aspects, we'll have to wait for gameplay trailers.
Servers is the problem of multiplayer games, if they are down you no more can play your game, i'm not sure they would create a stand alone off line version because the game purpose is online and to make money with cosmetics and other stuff.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone unfamiliar with FF XI and FF XIV, what sets the two apart so that both games are running at the same time and don't cannibalize each others install base?

What's the motivation for XI on mobile but not XIV?

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
As someone unfamiliar with FF XI and FF XIV, what sets the two apart so that both games are running at the same time and don't cannibalize each others install base?

Gameplay and flow mostly, FF11 plays more like old school rpg while FF14 is a little bit more modern action rpg if that makes any sense?

11 was my first ever mmo, was 13 years old back then so was too hard for me to understand, played a full month and loved it though, was considering getting it on steam since now I know better just to experience the story, but FF14 keeps distracting me. Having a f2p option would help a lot.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
As somebody who just finished all the main and expansion story content a couple year back, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Will certainly play if it's F2P and give it a shot. Unsure if I have to pay upfront what I'll do.

That said, I'll be playing my two weeks of free login for FFXI starting in two days!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

FFXI has many, many years of development time making great stories, XIV hasn't had enough time yet to match it (though it does have some great storylines). Because of that, XI also has a wider variety of environments, music, and just a larger area to explore. XIV as a newer game has much more modern storytelling techniques, with motion capture, lots of voiced cutscenes, etc. And of course XIV has modern graphics, while XI is still a really old game with below-PS3-level graphics (unless you install unofficial mods).

Most importantly, XIV at this point has a level of graphics and detail, large areas that need to be streamed as you travel, that isn't possible on PS3 (they dropped support for PS3 with the latest expansion), so there's no way it could be ported to mobile devices. FFXI is split into smaller zones that were designed to be loadable into a PS2's memory.

These things could change in the mobile version, and some of this has been mellowed out in recent times in the PC version, but XI is much more old-school - just traveling through the world can be dangerous, while in XIV you are never in any serious danger outside of dungeons or special situations. XI is designed for parties to group up to do pretty much everything after level 10, including traveling the land, grinding levels, doing quests, while XIV is designed for solo play outside of dungeons, raids, and boss fights. XI has many interconnecting storylines even among side quests - you'll have side quests introducing characters that you'll see along the main story missions, or you'll see side quests many hours later that connect to ones many hours earlier. Most of XIV's side quests are designed to be done in groups all at once in an area, and the characters rarely pop up again later. XI has a class/subclass system that allows for a bit of customization, while XIV's job system is pretty much, choose your job and that's it. XI has gear designed for specific circumstances, so you may switch your gear before entering a burning circle or even during a fight in some cases, while in XIV, gear is pretty much a level of advancement, you choose higher-level gear because it makes your class better.

Last edited:

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Don't disagree with you as I was molded by EQ/Asheron's/11 as well, but the WoW style of MMO is not completely devoid of depth. FF14 has complex and deep systems, especially the gathering/crafting/melding. The end game high choreography is also much better, but no, player battle system isn't on the level of.. http://ffxisimple.ytmnd.com/ (turn volume down).

I'm not a "modern" gamer either but I enjoy mobile gacha games, watching streamers, and FF14. You can be old school and enjoy the new stuff too.

The 11 overworld design just doesn't exist anymore. No game has it so that at level 10 in La Theine, the zone next to your starter zone, a single, random crab can kill you. Again, that's design from a different time. I agree, it was an experience at the time, but from a perspective of evolving the genre, it's as antiquated as corpse runs in WoW (a "modern" game).

I played 14 quite a bit and it just doesn't offer the job class challenge I enjoyed in 11. In 11, you could tell just from looking at someone's gear if they would be bad at their job. Once the party began, you could immediately know a player's skill based on how they played. In 14, everyone in the party can be bad at their job and you'll probably still complete the content without much trouble.

I do understand that the 11 gameplay style would not work for most modern gamers, but I miss the days of feeling accomplished when I got my level 20 summon quests done, holding hate on PLD while the SAM goes to town on a mob, playing BRD in merit parties, or keeping up my Refresh cycle on RDM. None of that is replicated in 14 at all. It's just super, super boring to me.

I really hope they eventually port this to PC. I tried playing FF XI a few weeks ago and boy, that game is painfully slow. A munch needed QOL update or remake is in desperately needed.

That's the big question though. If you remake 11 on PC or modern consoles, how much do you change? You have to make some QOL improvements like a universal teleportation system, the ability to solo on all classes (at least at low level), party finder, etc. But can you keep the 75 cap combat system? Can you still have it so that you need to be good at your job to have a solid party experience (not required in 14)?

It would be tough to find a good balance between what modern gamers expect from an MMO and what 75 cap FF11 players would want retained from the old days. As it stands, I'm assuming I will really dislike this mobile game, but I'll still give it a shot.

Sure it was one of the few MMORPG that feel like it was a MMO.... everybody need everybody to get better and advance into the game... This is not the case anymore with MMORPG, in XIV you can solo 90% of the content, this is not a MMO anymore for me. What make XI so great was the journey to get to the end, not the final and after final(what we call end-game).

I don't know, While I really, really enjoyed the grind to 75, I had some great times during endgame as well. Dynamis, Sky, merit parties... these were all great fun for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Those screenshots look amazing. I hope it's not another one of those "auto-quest" MMORPGs that have been cropping up on Mobile platforms, because if this is a genuine experience, it would be a really great little thing to have on me to go with.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
I'd be so happy to experience the launch days of FFXI again.

Ha! I actually miss partying in the Dunes, my first run to Jeuno, partying at Qufim, etc

Ah, memories :')

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For puppetmaster people, do you think it's possible to play PUP without the frames like Storm Bringer, and such? 1 - 60+ with the default frame? I'm a noob, do the frames provide attachment element capacity or something?

I wish I could remember my old account password. It must have been hacked or something, or that forced security memo from SE "Add numbers to your password" made me so annoyed that I just added the numbers and saved the password and never wrote it down. I should try logging in on the moogle Square Enix site again. Darn thing locks me out and I should probably call customer support, but I feel like at that point I just continue to not care enough.

I can imagine that if I log in I'll just sit around messing with my macros for hours, just like I do when I last played FFXIV. Though this time I could maybe level pup in a pretty auto play mode with nice gear (wish pup could use the same gear as monk), and Trusts.. yeah sounds boring already.

Last edited:

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017

The pace of the battle system in FFXI is far more conducive to mobile than XIV. The former is slow and methodical. The latter would not be feasible at all because in layman's terms you're hitting a lot more buttons and trying to fit a lot more action presses in the context of a global cooldown timer. Something that simply doesn't exist in XI. Every action is independent.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Perhaps plans have or will change, but when they originally announced the plan to have Nixon do FFXI for mobile they had said they wanted to make it an authentic experience and that Grandmasters would be the game that is a different side take on XI.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
For puppetmaster people, do you think it's possible to play PUP without the frames like Storm Bringer, and such? 1 - 60+ with the default frame? I'm a noob, do the frames provide attachment element capacity or something?

I wish I could remember my old account password. It must have been hacked or something, or that forced security memo from SE "Add numbers to your password" made me so annoyed that I just added the numbers and saved the password and never wrote it down. I should try logging in on the moogle Square Enix site again. Darn thing locks me out and I should probably call customer support, but I feel like at that point I just continue to not care enough.

I can imagine that if I log in I'll just sit around messing with my macros for hours, just like I do when I last played FFXIV. Though this time I could maybe level pup in a pretty auto play mode with nice gear (wish pup could use the same gear as monk), and Trusts.. yeah sounds boring already.

You might want to at least get your Sharpshot frame, since the default frame has no ranged skill, so the sooner you can get that on par with the others the better.
They made skill ups a lot more frequent and added items to assist with that, but that particular option doesn't apply to automatons, so using them on the field is still the way to go.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I think I'll get BST up so I can easily farm things like pup mats. Seems like a very interesting pet class, batteries not included.

These add-ons (in windower) are nice, I'll be able to see what level my zoo is with one. I wonder if these type of QOL gui features will be in the mobile version, and if it will be needed at all (they better have beastmaster).

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Apparently their hiring people for work on quests and dialog, so I wonder if that'll involve adding story content to what's already in XI, or replacing it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comme...e_what_ffxi_mobile_is_probably_gonna/dyxfoho/
There are a lot of subtly interconnected stories throughout the game, and I'd hate to see some of that lost due to new writers lacking the background in both the big and small stories across the game...

Yeah, that actually sounds a bit worrying to me. I'd really want to be able to experience all the little stories from the original...

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
The pace of the battle system in FFXI is far more conducive to mobile than XIV. The former is slow and methodical. The latter would not be feasible at all because in layman's terms you're hitting a lot more buttons and trying to fit a lot more action presses in the context of a global cooldown timer. Something that simply doesn't exist in XI. Every action is independent.

I have to disagree with this 100%. With all the macro switching and management required to play a job well in 11, there's far more button pressing compared to 14. Maybe if you're only talking about tanking in 11, where PLD and WAR (up to 37) didn't really require much in the way button pressing, but most jobs require far more button pressing to be played correctly.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I have to disagree with this 100%. With all the macro switching and management required to play a job well in 11, there's far more button pressing compared to 14. Maybe if you're only talking about tanking in 11, where PLD and WAR (up to 37) didn't really require much in the way button pressing, but most jobs require far more button pressing to be played correctly.
There is some jobs with more button pressing that other in ffxi for sure ( like rng or pup on the top of my head, or nin for utsusemi ), and there is more button press as you level up, but I don't see how that's comparable to ffxiv ( at least based on my experience on ffxi when lvl75 was the max level ).

And I don't say that as a positive for ffxiv, I prefere by far the slower pace of ffxi.

In ffxiv you use at least a skill every 2.5 secondes regardless of your level. While leveling a job in ffxi you could often see yourself not have to use any button for 10-30 secondes or something along thoses lines. Like a drg/war would only have to use something like 5 skill ( with a cooldown going from 1 min to 3 (?) min or something like that ) + weapon skill ( and at low level where there isn't a huge amount of hast available TP is that fast to build ).

I mostly see people speak about the content difficulty or duty finder etc.. when they complain about ffxiv being less social than ffxi, but imho it's how little downtime the game give you to chat that is the biggest hurdle to a social experience in ffxiv.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh lord. This game ruined my life 13 years ago.

Welp, let's do it again!

ahem... *RDM here, lfg! Have Refresh!*

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Warrior LFG....

No? Noone needs a Warrior...k then...

That was my life. Until my friend joined, decided to be BLM and I basically had to run with him as the only way to get into groups, mostly. Hated the game more than I enjoyed it, to be honest.

BUT

I'd try this!

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying there's not a lot to do in XI, I'm saying the two are simply not comparable in relative pace because of the nature of GCD usage. And in turn that makes one more feasible than the other to be played on in a mobile setting.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
There is some jobs with more button pressing that other in ffxi for sure ( like rng or pup on the top of my head, or nin for utsusemi ), and there is more button press as you level up, but I don't see how that's comparable to ffxiv ( at least based on my experience on ffxi when lvl75 was the max level ).

And I don't say that as a positive for ffxiv, I prefere by far the slower pace of ffxi.

In ffxiv you use at least a skill every 2.5 secondes regardless of your level. While leveling a job in ffxi you could often see yourself not have to use any button for 10-30 secondes or something along thoses lines. Like a drg/war would only have to use something like 5 skill ( with a cooldown going from 1 min to 3 (?) min or something like that ) + weapon skill ( and at low level where there isn't a huge amount of hast available TP is that fast to build ).

I mostly see people speak about the content difficulty or duty finder etc.. when they complain about ffxiv being less social than ffxi, but imho it's how little downtime the game give you to chat that is the biggest hurdle to a social experience in ffxiv.

I will give you that DPS classes have less to do in 11 since there isn't a GCD. I think there was more to keep track of for DD in 11 compared to DPS in 14, but you're right that there are more button presses required for DPS in 14. However, I still think support classes and mages in 11 had more button presses than similar classes in 14 even with the GCD. There was also a lot more movement required for positioning and all of that, which isn't really present in 14 outside of avoiding AoE.

I'm not saying there's not a lot to do in XI, I'm saying the two are simply not comparable in relative pace because of the nature of GCD usage. And in turn that makes one more feasible than the other to be played on in a mobile setting.

I think it depends on the job. Support classes in 11 had to do way more at a much faster pace compared to almost any job in 14. Tanks also had to do a lot more work, especially once you hit merit parties and you had a BRD constantly pulling in mobs to keep the XP going.

Warrior LFG....

No? Noone needs a Warrior...k then...

That was my life. Until my friend joined, decided to be BLM and I basically had to run with him as the only way to get into groups, mostly. Hated the game more than I enjoyed it, to be honest.

BUT

I'd try this!

Why didn't you just start your own party? I had every FF11 job capped at 75, and whenever I wanted to party on a DD I would just start the party myself and rarely had to wait (unless I refused to party with a NIN tank).

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on the job. Support classes in 11 had to do way more at a much faster pace compared to almost any job in 14. Tanks also had to do a lot more work, especially once you hit merit parties and you had a BRD constantly pulling in mobs to keep the XP going.

I'm still not entirely sure of your point here. They had a lot to do, in the context of FFXI, but you literally just have to analyze the action / presses per minute between a BRD in XI and a BRD in XIV to see that a BRD in XIV probably does at least 6-7x the amount of inputs over that period of time, which is the point that's being addressed, as its relevant to the feasibility of playing on mobile.

Deleted member 7207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to get into FFXI but damn that sub, lol.

Haven't looked at it myself and SE's notorious for making things over-complicated, but apparently there's still a 14 day free trial for anyone that wants to check it out, with some restrictions, as per the Square Enix Store. Might be worth checking out. If you ever find yourself with an extended period of free time on your hands you'll find that you can plow through much of the game's story on a single month's subscription. I'd advise anyone entering the game for the first time to play on Asura, by far the most active server.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
In FFXIV it felt like I was constantly pressing buttons. In FFXI I may have to react to things, but at least I had time to med, text communicate, wait on stuns or skill chains to burst, then continue reapplying refresh and assisting with cures every now and then.

Also I didn't do that much moving around, from exp parties, to endgame. The only thing I can think of with people constantly moving sometimes were alliance Kirin fights, and the kiting tactic.

Just got out of a chat with customer service to try to access my old character (to try and get him transferred to private server and the free 2 weeks) but my plans were squashed. Couldn't remember what street I used in my info, and the old phone number I used. I even called my parents but they were busy so I gave up. Took way too long, not worth it. I had some pretty ok gear for a 75 pup, and destroyers, but the uncap stuff are probably way better anyway. Oh Limbus gear too.

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't looked at it myself and SE's notorious for making things over-complicated, but apparently there's still a 14 day free trial for anyone that wants to check it out, with some restrictions, as per the Square Enix Store. Might be worth checking out. If you ever find yourself with an extended period of free time on your hands you'll find that you can plow through much of the game's story on a single month's subscription. I'd advise anyone entering the game for the first time to play on Asura, by far the most active server.

Thanks for the advice. I know what to expect more else because I play XIV but I don't like subs, ever.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not entirely sure of your point here. They had a lot to do, in the context of FFXI, but you literally just have to analyze the action / presses per minute between a BRD in XI and a BRD in XIV to see that a BRD in XIV probably does at least 6-7x the amount of inputs over that period of time, which is the point that's being addressed, as its relevant to the feasibility of playing on mobile.

If you think BRD in 14 does 6-7x the amount of inputs compared to BRD in 11 then you were playing BRD wrong in 11. I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe if you're talking about Sky or something where the fights were pretty slow and no one really had all that much to do, but in the average merit party BRD was the key to making that work. The best BRD players were constantly on the move, pulling the mob, then sleeping the mob as soon as it reached the party. All while keeping 2-3 songs up between the 5 other party members, which required additional movement and knowing the exact cast range of your songs.

BRD in 14 is just going through your cooldowns and occasionally playing a song.

Maybe something has changed in 14? I haven't played much after getting all my classes to 50 because I find the game extremely boring and lacking challenge. I go back with each level cap increase, and haven't noticed any real change, but I mostly stick to WHM for the short time I play due to my feelings on the game.

In FFXIV it felt like I was constantly pressing buttons. In FFXI I may have to react to things, but at least I had time to med, text communicate, wait on stuns or skill chains to burst, then continue reapplying refresh and assisting with cures every now and then.

Also I didn't do that much moving around, from exp parties, to endgame. The only thing I can think of with people constantly moving sometimes were alliance Kirin fights, and the kiting tactic.

For DPS I would agree with you. DPS in 11 was mostly just waiting for your abilities to be available until it was time to skill chain or something. I didn't play much DPS for that very reason (although I did have fun on SAM and COR -- if you count COR as DPS). Support and mage classes were very different though.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
If you think BRD in 14 does 6-7x the amount of inputs compared to BRD in 11 then you were playing BRD wrong in 11. I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe if you're talking about Sky or something where the fights were pretty slow and no one really had all that much to do, but in the average merit party BRD was the key to making that work. The best BRD players were constantly on the move, pulling the mob, then sleeping the mob as soon as it reached the party. All while keeping 2-3 songs up between the 5 other party members, which required additional movement and knowing the exact cast range of your songs.

BRD in 14 is just going through your cooldowns and occasionally playing a song.

Maybe something has changed in 14? I haven't played much after getting all my classes to 50 because I find the game extremely boring and lacking challenge. I go back with each level cap increase, and haven't noticed any real change, but I mostly stick to WHM for the short time I play due to my feelings on the game.
I get the impression you're just misunderstanding the nature of the debate here. I played FFXI for 8 straight years and have done many a merit party as BRD. I know exactly what it consists of. It's literally what keeps the flow going. To the point where you log into the game on BRD, not even flagged and people are begging you in tell to join their group. It plays an extremely active and integral role in any party it joins. This is all in the context of how FFXIs battle system plays. But I'm getting the impression you don't really get just how quickly the GDC and more to the point the off GDC usage of BRD flows in FFXIV. I'm not saying "man this job is more involved than the other games equivalent job". I'm saying, you're literally pushing more buttons per minute on BRD in XIV compared to XI, and by quite a wide margin at that. That's just a fact.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I hated pulling as a RNG so I kind of know what you mean even if I never did it as a BRD...

That being said I think it's an outliner, and while I think it's a far more interesting job in ffxi than being bard in xiv, I still think it gave you far more down time than any job in ffxiv. I mean I had to recheck the casting time of things like Mage ballad, and it's something like 8 secondes... And I can only guess that many bard would also have a macro to do ballad 1 & 2 in succession for most normal scenario.
I would dream to have a 16 secondes down time at any point in ffxiv ( again 2.5 sec GDC.. ). Same with movement, a puller is the exception in a 6 player group and merit party post colibri extension is a beast of it's own. Most jobs were stationary, actually other than song I can pretty much only think of sneak attack and trick attack requiring repositioning during a fight.

I came back to ffxiv a few days ago to try to play the story of the two extension ( since I stopped before their release ) and new jobs too. And as a ninja lvl41 I already feel overwhelmed at times during some fight, going : GDC skill - mudrâ - mudrâ - Ninjutsu - GDC skill, so 5 skills in the space of 2.5 secondes happen every 20 secondes, and there is other skills outside of GDC, and I'm only lvl41, and even trash mob use AoE I have to avoid, and I need hit them in their back.
It is far more input than my ffxi red mage and it's nuke, debuf, hast/refresh rotation; or my puppetmaster with it's use of Maneuver, or even my ranger where I had to do each range attack manually ( well at lower level I often used a 3 range attack macro because I would take the aggro if I did attack manually everytime my range attack was ready ) and pull.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression you're just misunderstanding the nature of the debate here. I played FFXI for 8 straight years and have done many a merit party as BRD. I know exactly what it consists of. It's literally what keeps the flow going. To the point where you log into the game on BRD, not even flagged and people are begging you in tell to join their group. It plays an extremely active and integral role in any party it joins. This is all in the context of how FFXIs battle system plays. But I'm getting the impression you don't really get just how quickly the GDC and more to the point the off GDC usage of BRD flows in FFXIV. I'm not saying "man this job is more involved than the other games equivalent job". I'm saying, you're literally pushing more buttons per minute on BRD in XIV compared to XI, and by quite a wide margin at that. That's just a fact.

It's been years since I last played FF11 so maybe I'm just not remembering correctly, but one of the reasons I dislike 14 is because jobs are so basic in comparison. I get bored playing almost every job in 14 aside from WHM (and I don't like Holy spam). I was actually upset when they made the Stoneskin change because it removed something I could do every fight.

Again, maybe I'm just not remembering well. *shrug*

I hated pulling as a RNG so I kind of know what you mean even if I never did it as a BRD...

That being said I think it's an outliner, and while I think it's a far more interesting job in ffxi than being bard in xiv, I still think it gave you far more down time than any job in ffxiv. I mean I had to recheck the casting time of things like Mage ballad, and it's something like 8 secondes... And I can only guess that many bard would also have a macro to do ballad 1 & 2 in succession for most normal scenario.
I would dream to have a 16 secondes down time at any point in ffxiv ( again 2.5 sec GDC.. ). Same with movement, a puller is the exception in a 6 player group and merit party post colibri extension is a beast of it's own. Most jobs were stationary, actually other than song I can pretty much only think of sneak attack and trick attack requiring repositioning during a fight.

I came back to ffxiv a few days ago to try to play the story of the two extension ( since I stopped before their release ) and new jobs too. And as a ninja lvl41 I already feel overwhelmed at times during some fight, going : GDC skill - mudrâ - mudrâ - Ninjutsu - GDC skill, so 5 skills in the space of 2.5 secondes happen every 20 secondes, and there is other skills outside of GDC, and I'm only lvl41, and even trash mob use AoE I have to avoid, and I need hit them in their back.
It is far more input than my ffxi red mage and it's nuke, debuf, hast/refresh rotation; or my puppetmaster with it's use of Maneuver, or even my ranger where I had to do each range attack manually ( well at lower level I often used a 3 range attack macro because I would take the aggro if I did attack manually everytime my range attack was ready ) and pull.

DPS jobs definitely have more to do in 14. However, when looking at BRD in 11 you didn't just play Ballad 1 and Ballad 2 and call it a day. I'd have 4-5 songs going at once. On RDM I'd have to keep the debuff on the mob, Refresh cycle on 2-3 party members, plus off healing (sometimes main healing) and more. SMN was a bit less intensive due to the cooldowns, but I'd have three buffs active on the party at all times, cycling between summons frequently.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV was a letdown for me as well when it came to the jobs compared to what they did in FFXI. For example black Mage is on some fire and ice rotation with no worries about resistance, or double thunder weather buffing their strongest spells + manabursting for ########'s. Nothing exciting about that blm role.

I've been thinking that I don't even want to see beastmaster in FFXIV anymore. It would just probably make me sad. I also loved redmage in FFXI a ton, it's ability to solo (my favorite thing to do) and fit in perfectly with endgame events pretty much became my most versatile and useful job. In FFXIV, since there's apparently no support role (? did this change with Mechanic and future expansions?), RDM seem like a DD class. I need to look up SAM and RDM FFXIV videos now. I imagine Samurai made a good transition.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God. What if I do this again.

WHAT IF I DO THIS AGAIN.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Private servers for the rest of it's life then, especially if they just stop. Offline version dreams crushed.

JSoup

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to pick up FF11 on Steam and crash course the story.
I'm fine with doing that via phone, I guess.
Or PS4, if the above link is any indication.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017

Some interesting info, but damn... Now I'll always wonder what could have been done with XI's profits for the game's future if a portion of them probably hadn't ended up paying for XIV's initial failure and recovery... then again, the initial plans for XI were always depressingly short-sighted, since originally they only expected it to be on for about 5 years...

On a more pleasant note, animations specific to established characters when they're used as Trust party members:

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
DPS jobs definitely have more to do in 14. However, when looking at BRD in 11 you didn't just play Ballad 1 and Ballad 2 and call it a day. I'd have 4-5 songs going at once. On RDM I'd have to keep the debuff on the mob, Refresh cycle on 2-3 party members, plus off healing (sometimes main healing) and more. SMN was a bit less intensive due to the cooldowns, but I'd have three buffs active on the party at all times, cycling between summons frequently.
I'm not denying all the thing we had to to, even more so on some specific job, which is why I also took the rdm exemple since I played it.

Rdm ( since it's easier for me to speak about rdm than bard ) regardeless of how many things it had to do, in many of those things you were limited by the casting time. Even with Fast cast it meant a >4 sec cast time for resfresh, a ~2.5 sec hast, etc.. during which you couldn't do anything not even move.
There was faster spell, debuff like Dia are really fast, but even heals and nuke were ~3 seconde cast time so ~2.5 with fast cast which put them around the same timer as the global cooldown in ffxiv ( without speed wich decrease the GCD I think but I don't know to what extend ) and you usually did not spam that non stop, mp would be a problem at some point.
In ffxiv those skill are instant cast and you can ( and often have to ) move to avoid AOE ( thought it's only true for melee job outside of Boss ) and as you progress there is more and more skill to use in between those GCD skill.

I can only guess it's the same for bard. Regardless of how many song you had in rotation, their cast time alone meant that there was less input involved than ffxiv. And again I say that as a positive toward ffxi, it was nice not to have to make a button press every 0.5 seconde while avoiding a AOE; not everyone want that kind of pace all the time.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, ffxi had mana to worry about as well as enmity balance, enfeeble resistances (recasting until it stick if it was important, time and mana loss), oh enfeebling too now that I'm thinking about it. I'm trying to remember if FFXIV have enfeebles but thunder and fracture just act as dots iirc, I just looked at Redmage ability list and only saw self buffs, chance to be verstone ready and such. In FFXIV from what I remember, tanks pretty much had enmity on lock with little effort (bored tanks at titan are things I remembered).