• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't play MMOs but since this is one of only a few Final Fantasies I haven't played and since it'll be mobile, I'll give it a go

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I just crossed a video (6 minutes) going over why open world difficulty was so important. There was no feeling I had in a world like Final Fantasy, though I suppose Demon's Souls gets there. It gave the world character, feeling (dread, care free, hopelessness), and made me picking up Beastmaster when I did so perfect.

As beastmaster I felt I got a chance to experience FFXI's world in a way a lot of other people didn't. I didn't feel in danger of the world because of my abilities, I took that danger and used it as my weapon. I remember when I first noticed it, I was merely grinding exp in a relaxed state, facing a river in Carpenter's Landing, thinking so many of my ffxi buddies would probably never get to see the world like this, or may have never been to this particular spot. It felt unique.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Fanfest is strictly for 14. If we are to get any info on FFXI mobile it will be at the Japanese FFXI event next month.

There is a Famitsu/ Dengeki sponsored Fan Event for FFXI on December 2nd
with special guests, including FFXI series composer Kumi Tanioka

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201807/30161593.html

They may announce something there.

Awesome! My fingers are firmly crossed! I've kind of been wanting to try out FFXI but with XIV being as good as it is, I'd need a really good excuse to divert... As long as there aren't any major deal breakers later down the line, this looks like the perfect excuse to give XI a try!

Thanks for the info, guys!

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So nothing was announced about this back in December? That seems extremely odd. Anyone have any updates?

Jan 11, 2018
It would seem like kind of a waste to make this only for mobiles when there is clearly big demand for a streamlined story mode version of the game for consoles and has been for ages.

May 18, 2018
Ugh dont get my hopes up!

And IMO the market for people who want to play XI on a phone/tablet are probably not people being pulled from XIV, but who can really say.

I know about a year ago square said they have something planned for 20 year anniversary of ffxi, is it possible this could be it? What about grandmasters did that get canned also?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
New images from a portfolio website, may be fake but... why would they be?

Via GamerEscape

6ZGKpO8.png

LsD62X4-1024x752.jpg

lVfzHxE-888x1024.jpg

mO6q8yg.png

ZhcKz53-977x1024.jpg

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This is dead, isn't it? Or will it end up being a cash grab mobile auto-play game? No way this will be the "true" FFXI experience, but on a phone. Right?

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
That world map looks like it's taken straight from Final Fantasy XIV.

It's almost like they are trying to position a potential FFXI remaster as a sibling game to FFXIV.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
OMG OMG, I don't even care if it's a cell phone game anymore, I just want that world, and the jobs. I've been looking for a Beastmaster fix for years.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
From a recentish interview with the FFXI leads published last month -

Gamer Escape: FINAL FANTASY XI Mobile was announced back in March 2015. Since then we've only seen a few in-development screenshots and heard tiny fragments of information through interviews with Naoki Yoshida. Can you tell us a little bit about how development has been going and when we might expect to see more on this title? Players are desperate to hear more!
As this is a joint project with NEXON, the FINAL FANTASY XI team is unable to provide an answer to this question at present.

So, uh, at least they acknowledged it exists.

My personal guess is they'll aim for a 2022 release for the 20th anniversary... If it's happening at all.

I'm hoping it'd be brought to other platforms too but I doubt it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I actually just re subbed to XI.

For whatever reason I find grinding Blue Mage spells to be incredibly relaxing.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
Did they just import all the FFXIV assets for this? Looks close to it

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just re subbed to XI.

For whatever reason I find grinding Blue Mage spells to be incredibly relaxing.
I soloed a ton on many of the classes, leveling Beastmaster to 75 all solo changed everything for me. Never had a experience like it, very peaceful, stress free, awe inspiring (made me realize how pretty the locations in the game were, also that not many people got to see the world like I was seeing it, not as a threat, but an ally/tool/vacation surrounded by danger).

Also I helped a lot of Blu's get abilities easy, and BLU/75 - 99BST was awesome. Good access to chr spells and gear to charm things.

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Please just launch soon.

Something tells me this shifted from Mobile to PC + Mobile though.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I soloed a ton on many of the classes, leveling Beastmaster to 75 all solo changed everything for me. Never had a experience like it, very peaceful, stress free, awe inspiring (made me realize how pretty the locations in the game were, also that not many people got to see the world like I was seeing it, not as a threat, but an ally/tool/vacation in the surrounded by danger).

I got into FFXI with the 360 version and some of my fondest gaming memories are bringing my console over to a friend's place and exploring Vana'diel until the early hours of the morning.

There is no other game with such a compelling mix of awe and tension. It's a much better game than XIV in my opinion not only because of the more well realised world, but because you actually have agency over your character. Want to create a melee Summoner build? Do it! Is it optimal? God no, but who cares!

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't that the one where you could do some crazy summoning stuff? If that is coming to Switch and without a subscription I definitely try it out.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't that the one where you could do some crazy summoning stuff? If that is coming to Switch and without a subscription I definitely try it out.
It's the one where summoner's actually have cool pets and is a strong meta end game job. Yeah.

Based on the reddit thread, people are saying most of these screens are from a private porfolia and the top images are what the game look slike, bottom is an artist touched up version that they are trying to get the game to look.

MElYbsa.jpg

Someone also commented the development UI looks like UE4, can anyone confirm?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's the one where summoner's actually have cool pets and is a strong meta end game job. Yeah.

I still can't believe what happened to Summoner in FFXIV. It was the first class I ran to because it was the only pet class (Summoner, Scholar, Arcanist). I've been playing FFXII again recently and even Garuda-Egi in FFXII looked more epic than the Egi in FFXIV look.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the hell out of this back in the early to mid 2000's. I'd love to play this again in a single player setting. But they thing I loved about this game was the the skill chain mechanics and the additional burst attacks that would come with them. If they could find a way to have the AI in your party orchestrate this, I'd all over this.